Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Car Hater posted:

New Bike Day!!!

(I'm on a mountain, it's a bike, it counts dangit)

I see how it is, one upping me with your 7 inch rise bars...

I've always wanted to try one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Car Hater posted:

New Bike Day!!!

(I'm on a mountain, it's a bike, it counts dangit)

How was WP on that? I bet those blue and blue-black runs skiers left of Olympia would be fun, but traversing over there would probably be rough.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Bud Manstrong posted:

How was WP on that? I bet those blue and blue-black runs skiers left of Olympia would be fun, but traversing over there would probably be rough.

It's great other than the lifts being a bit awkward. I hit pretty much all the blues yesterday, might try some blacks tomorrow if I get there early enough.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

PolishPandaBear posted:

Sorry you can't ride bikes EvilJoven. :(

Lol it's ok the rave we went to was amazing and probably almost as good a workout.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

The conditions were so good yesterday for a cross country ride out in the hills. For once a little different from my regular winch and plummet style and it was a lot of fun. Still managed to get a bit of chunky rocky descending in for good measure too!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Bit of a traffic jam on that trail. Were you solo or going with others?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

kimbo305 posted:

Bit of a traffic jam on that trail. Were you solo or going with others?

We went with a big group for one of our friend's birthdays. That part is just a gradual fire road, mainly went for the views!

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Does anyone know if it is possible to increase the tension on a Float DPS shock's compression adjustment lever? With the position of the shock on my bike, I'll sometimes find half way through a ride that I've bumped it or hooked it with my pants leg and it has flicked fully closed.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Does anybody have good/cheapish bib recommendations? I got these in a couple sizes since they were on sale but they were too short in that it felt like they'd stretch/rip to get my arms in. I tried a couple sizes so I think they just run short or are not stretchy in the shoulder fabric at all.

Also I'm looking to build a bike this year. I'm thinking I'll buy a nice carbon wheel set that I may take to other bikes in the future. Will these be decent for "future proofing" myself? They're boost and inner width of 30.5 and 29.5mm. I was hoping to find a little wider around 35mm inner since that's what maxis recommends for their WT tires now... but I'm not sure who else makes wheels with an onyx hub with a great warranty that offers that. Any other suggestions?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Suburban Dad posted:

Does anybody have good/cheapish bib recommendations? I got these in a couple sizes since they were on sale but they were too short in that it felt like they'd stretch/rip to get my arms in. I tried a couple sizes so I think they just run short or are not stretchy in the shoulder fabric at all.

Also I'm looking to build a bike this year. I'm thinking I'll buy a nice carbon wheel set that I may take to other bikes in the future. Will these be decent for "future proofing" myself? They're boost and inner width of 30.5 and 29.5mm. I was hoping to find a little wider around 35mm inner since that's what maxis recommends for their WT tires now... but I'm not sure who else makes wheels with an onyx hub with a great warranty that offers that. Any other suggestions?

Light Bicycle does Onyx builds.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
30mm w WT tires should be fine?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

vikingstrike posted:

30mm w WT tires should be fine?

Yeah I think it's 30-40mm or something.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I know they'll fit but I just noticed it said this on their site "Wide Trail (WT) sizes optimized for 35mm inner width rims"

E: like most things I am probably overthinking this. Still, it's a big purchase that will hopefully last awhile so just trying to get the best I can right now.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 15, 2023

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

The Black Bibs are good.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

casque posted:

The Black Bibs are good.

Thanks, will give them a try.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Thanks, will give them a try.

They even make some with extra long straps which might be good given your issues with the other bibs.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is Canyon a reputable brand? I've been thinking about getting a trail bike after renting one a couple times and enjoying it alot.

This guy in large matches the geometry of the bike rented pretty closely.

Followup - how do I evaluate the different versions of each bike? I'm reasonably familiar with components and frame materials, but I'm hopelessly lost about suspension.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Is Canyon a reputable brand? I've been thinking about getting a trail bike after renting one a couple times and enjoying it alot.

This guy in large matches the geometry of the bike rented pretty closely.

Followup - how do I evaluate the different versions of each bike? I'm reasonably familiar with components and frame materials, but I'm hopelessly lost about suspension.

They are good but be aware that if you have warranty issues you're dealing with an online retailer vs. a local shop. The bang for buck factor is great with them and YT (direct to consumer) bikes. The base level fox stuff is pretty good, IMO. The more expensive stuff has more adjustments and slightly better damping. As for suspension platforms, that's a :can:. Most bikes nowadays do everything pretty well with modern geometry but the are differences in the linkages that affect how they ride. Watch youtubes on the specific bike(s) you're considering. I'm no expert but I gather people really like Santa Cruz's vpp and ibis' dw link and put them above single pivot designs generally. I've never ridden them and nuance is pretty lost on me for most things in general so. v:v:v

The only thing on that bike you might consider is an XT shift lever since it adds double upshifts. Everything else seems decent if the fit is good.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Suburban Dad posted:

I know they'll fit but I just noticed it said this on their site "Wide Trail (WT) sizes optimized for 35mm inner width rims"

E: like most things I am probably overthinking this. Still, it's a big purchase that will hopefully last awhile so just trying to get the best I can right now.

The next sentence on the website after what you copied is 30-35mm is fine. You’re overthinking this imo. I run WT tires on 30mm and have been fine. I run WT XC tires on 28mm and have been fine too (optimized for 30mm and ok for 25-30).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yeah I got over it, had some whisky and ordered some parts last night. :)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think I run WT on 30mm also. But I swear I don't notice a difference so I'm not the one to ask I guess.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Thanks for the detailed feedback!

Lack of shop support is fine, I have almost a full set of bike tools in my garage and have access to a fully equipped shop as well.

I'll have to do at least a little research on suspension systems based on your comments.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Thanks for the detailed feedback!

Lack of shop support is fine, I have almost a full set of bike tools in my garage and have access to a fully equipped shop as well.

I'll have to do at least a little research on suspension systems based on your comments.

My gf rides a Canyon almost identical to the one you're looking at (might actually be the women's version) and loves it. Springing for upgraded parts is almost always worth it.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Eejit posted:

My gf rides a Canyon almost identical to the one you're looking at (might actually be the women's version) and loves it. Springing for upgraded parts is almost always worth it.

Any parts in particular besides the rear shifter that I should be looking at?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The CF8 seems like it's more than worth the extra $600 there. Better fork, brakes, wheels, and like 2lbs lighter. SLX parts are solid and work well, and the xt shifters are pretty inexpensive if you want to upgrade later.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Any parts in particular besides the rear shifter that I should be looking at?

It's more about the trim kit when you order. If you can upgrade at order, it's worth doing. But if not, the spec you linked earlier is more than enough.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Not sure how long the sale is, but YT is offering 25% off currently.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

So... That Jeffsey Uncaged 8 looks pretty loving amazing. I have more money than sense right now, how dumb would it be to grab that for $4129?

Really stupid. It's sold out. gently caress.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

The Core 2 looks to be nearly identical to the Canyon Neuron (CF) aside from SRAM->Shimano group and an aluminum rear triangle instead of CF. Seems like a no brainer with the sale up.

I know nothing about the SRAM groups either. Does the Eagle NX shifter have the same issue as SLX does relative to XT where it can only shift one gear at a time?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Rival can shift as far as you can throw so I don't think so.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It depends which way you're going. Downshifts to easier gears sram and Shimano will do a bunch at a time. Upshifts sram is one at a time. XT and xtr will do two.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Went for a ride at Tiger Mountain on Tuesday in what turned out to be... less than ideal conditions. We had a ton of fun besides the snow continually trying to pack up behind my mudguard.

Start of the ride; the light here was gorgeous:

Inside Passage; no more tire tracks ahead at this point -- the only other people silly enough to ride that day had turned downhill at Atlas:

Sliding around in the snow on Inside Passage:

My riding buddy nearly eating it while trying to walk down this icy rock:

I put together a short video of the ride if anyone wants to see more; bonus silly dog footage at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=264wqJY_8sc

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Bottom Liner posted:

From the Huracan 300. I also shot a video I'll have up shortly.

Come ride in Florida!

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 17, 2023

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

extremely good

Bottom Liner posted:

Come ride in Florida!
no

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
No

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Just order a Core 3 what have I done

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Congrats! I have a Tues and love it.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

VelociBacon posted:

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Congrats! I have a Tues and love it.

Ditto on the congrats! You're going to love it. I have the Capra MX Core 4 and it's the best. I've been riding YT for the past 5 years and have zero complaints.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I guess its the Izzo Core 3. Their naming convention is atrocious.

Looking forward to fussing with the suspension setup. Its the one bike thing I know basically nothing about. Soon I'll have strong opinions on rebound and bounce rates and other things I don't really understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Not if you're like me. Go to a class, did it once, thought "it rides fine", haven't touched it since.