Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Does all his raps from inside a backpack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

iirc it's a term from the 2000s for folks who liked underground hip hop from the time like Cunninlynguists, MF DOOM, Cannibal Ox, that sort of thing

might be off the mark, but that's what I always thought it meant

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Power Windows posted:

What is a backpack rapper? Just a rapper wearing a backpack?

the silly name for the dead "style" of underground rap from the turn of the century. MF DOOMs and Commons and other rappers people listened to on headphones

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Venomous posted:

iirc it's a term from the 2000s for folks who liked underground hip hop from the time like Cunninlynguists, MF DOOM, Cannibal Ox, that sort of thing

cannot believe i waited 14 years for blade of the ronin

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Venomous posted:

you are right but its older iirc from the mid 90s.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Power Windows posted:

What is a backpack rapper? Just a rapper wearing a backpack?

From my understanding, underground acts that would sell/hand out their mixes and cds out of their backpacks. Turning up to gigs/events with a backpack rather than just enjoying the show.

It's also synonymous with them being poor as hell (living out of their backpack) and vaguely nerdy, "conscious" or alt.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

it means ten thousand things.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

History Comes Inside! posted:

Does all his raps from inside a backpack

would pay good money to see an Urban Banjo-Kazooie gimmick

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Venomous posted:

So Angelo Dawkin's gimmick is he likes good music? Cool.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Arguably every single thing Kanye West has done since like 2003 has been an attempt to prove he is not a backpacker so it is a powerful term, not to be used lightly considering what hell its use has unleashed.

It means/meant a lot of things and maybe turned into a catch-all for "rap that is not being played on the radio" or "indie rap" or "we are not talking about bitches and guns, we are talking about serious things like numerology and the Sega Dreamcast" but to me the biggest feature was some sort of LYRICAL MIRACLE WORLDPLAY IS SPHERICAL STINGING LIKE CLEARASIL POWER BILL WINDOW SILL MISTER BILL EMMITT TILL FORTY EIGHT BARS AND THEY ALL BARNACLE TENTACLE PENTACLE MENTACLE TWENTICLE that may or may not actually be rhymed on the beat but look at how complex and vocabulary filled this is! This is real hip hop! And I think a collective of a dozen white guys from Wisconsin know a little more about the true spirit of hip hop than these No Limit Cash Money clowns!

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Edge & Christian posted:

And I think a collective of a dozen white guys from Wisconsin know a little more about the true spirit of hip hop than these No Limit Cash Money clowns!

that's the ethos, right there

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Edge & Christian posted:

It means/meant a lot of things and maybe turned into a catch-all for "rap that is not being played on the radio" or "indie rap" or "we are not talking about bitches and guns, we are talking about serious things like numerology and the Sega Dreamcast" but to me the biggest feature was some sort of LYRICAL MIRACLE WORLDPLAY IS SPHERICAL STINGING LIKE CLEARASIL POWER BILL WINDOW SILL MISTER BILL EMMITT TILL FORTY EIGHT BARS AND THEY ALL BARNACLE TENTACLE PENTACLE MENTACLE TWENTICLE that may or may not actually be rhymed on the beat but look at how complex and vocabulary filled this is! This is real hip hop! And I think a collective of a dozen white guys from Wisconsin know a little more about the true spirit of hip hop than these No Limit Cash Money clowns!
Ah so Aesop Rock is the Platonic ideal of backpack rap

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Dr. Quarex posted:

Ah so Aesop Rock The Fairly Oddparents theme song is the Platonic ideal of backpack rap

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

How do they safely execute the "put a chair around someones neck and slam into them in the turnbuckle" move?

Example of what im talking about (at 1m30s): https://youtu.be/4zjnillScB4

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

How do they safely execute the "put a chair around someones neck and slam into them in the turnbuckle" move?

Ya die op

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

It means/meant a lot of things and maybe turned into a catch-all for "rap that is not being played on the radio" or "indie rap" or "we are not talking about bitches and guns, we are talking about serious things like numerology and the Sega Dreamcast"

Sir, I’ll have you know that Del Thee Funkee Homosapien’s classic “Proto Culture” features shout outs to the Saturn (and its RAM cartridge) and not the Dreamcast.

Alternately, trap sprung :v:

Question of my own: the…not spot, but act of mimicking smoking a joint and stubbing it out on your opponent’s back as a wrestler has said opponent ready to go up for a powerbomb - what’s the origin of this? Cage pulled it out against Takeshita on Dynamite today, during the picture-in-picture/FITE satellite time, and I know I’ve seen others do it on house shows/not on TV. Any background to it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

harperdc posted:

Sir, I’ll have you know that Del Thee Funkee Homosapien’s classic “Proto Culture” features shout outs to the Saturn (and its RAM cartridge) and not the Dreamcast.

Question of my own: the…not spot, but act of mimicking smoking a joint and stubbing it out on your opponent’s back as a wrestler has said opponent ready to go up for a powerbomb - what’s the origin of this? Cage pulled it out against Takeshita on Dynamite today, during the picture-in-picture/FITE satellite time, and I know I’ve seen others do it on house shows/not on TV. Any background to it?

JBL used to do it before his powerbomb

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

im gonna say kevin nash invented doing that

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Never skipping neck day

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Hogan invented it in '78 while he was fighting for PRIDE

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What is the Largo loop and why is it significant?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I think it's just the NXT arena loop or at least was.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The Largo Loop (not really sure why it's called that, but Largo FL is one of the stops on it) was/is a thing where NXT people would get experience doing small house shows to maybe a couple hundred people.

It was/is important because of how many of the people mentioned upthread who had zero wrestling experience prior to signing with WWE, as it both provided their first chance to work in front of audiences, and also just get more matches in.

To use a couple of examples from that, Bianca Belair worked a dozen Largo Loop shows before being put on TV in a battle royal, another batch before her first recorded singles match for the Mae Young Classic, and another 30+ shows before debuting with an actual push on television. She was a quick learner/phenomenal athlete so she developed quickly, other people (Angelo Dawkins) spent years working the small house shows before being deemed ready for actual TV matches as opposed to jobber/battle royal appearances. But even for the 'slow' learners, it was experience and reps in actually wrestling in front of people, not just doing drills.

During the pandemic they didn't have those, and so many of the lowlights of NXT 2.0 can be attributed to folks having some of their very first 'real' matches recorded for posterity.

They've since started the Largo Loop back up.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
IIRC it's also infamous for being where KENTA/Hideo Itami got injured by one of those green-as-grass rookies, derailing his Fed career before it ever really began.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Barry Bluejeans posted:

IIRC it's also infamous for being where KENTA/Hideo Itami got injured by one of those green-as-grass rookies, derailing his Fed career before it ever really began.

That green as grass rookie was Riddick/Madcap Moss and he broke KENTA's neck with a powerslam

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

harperdc posted:

In Cage's case, I think it's an imaginary cigar because that dude loving loves Wolverine.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alaois posted:

That green as grass rookie was Riddick/Madcap Moss and he broke KENTA's neck with a powerslam

Of all the people to not drop for asinine financial reasons.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Mr. Yuk posted:

In Cage's case, I think it's an imaginary cigar because that dude loving loves Wolverine.

Yeah, with Cage, it's probably a cigar. With Gallows or Anderson, it's a joint because they love to smizz wizz with the Bizz Clizz. (There's actually a fun bit where one of them tries to "pass" to the Young Bucks who politely decline.)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What caused the WWE to ban the piledriver? I know the reason was "it's dangerous", but read it was banned in 2000, was there an injury that led to that or why at that time? Austin broke his neck in 97 so I doubt it was because of that right?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

What caused the WWE to ban the piledriver? I know the reason was "it's dangerous", but read it was banned in 2000, was there an injury that led to that or why at that time? Austin broke his neck in 97 so I doubt it was because of that right?

the undertaker dropped triple h on his head doing a tombstone so piledrivers were banned, with the exception of the undertaker and kane still being allowed to do tombstones because they were safe

i'll accept no followup questions

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Alaois posted:

the undertaker dropped triple h on his head doing a tombstone so piledrivers were banned, with the exception of the undertaker and kane still being allowed to do tombstones because they were safe

i'll accept no followup questions

This cannot be the reason. Even Vince isn't that irrational about the in ring product...right?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
No, that sounds about right.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

its very right

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah hypocrisy relating to how his top handful of stars is treated is a very recurring problem

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Taker and Kane did stop doing tombstones for.like a year or two. May have been the reason he added the Last Ride? Kane just used the chokeslam as his finisher for a bit.

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

rujasu posted:

Taker and Kane did stop doing tombstones for.like a year or two. May have been the reason he added the Last Ride? Kane just used the chokeslam as his finisher for a bit.

There was also a brief period right before that, iirc, when he started using that weird falling gutwrench powerbomb as a finisher for a couple months.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is that when Taker was trying to teach Kane how to do the Last Ride and he just kept throwing people backwards over his head?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rujasu posted:

I think it was also easier on his knees to powerbomb someone

This is funny because I'm pretty sure it was Taker who nearly killed himself and Test because he lost his balance during the Last Ride. Guy adopts a new finisher because the biggest kissass on the roster got hurt, then almost has a complete disaster with his new move.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think it was also easier on his knees to powerbomb someone
he could have just done a job now and again