Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Funny, I viewed meld as a "You have two options, robots or frogmen" so of course I chose robots. So when I ended up with a meld surplus lategame... I just made another robot. Had maybe one frogleg'd guy, so I got to keep all my sexy titan and archangel armour dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Today in Xpiratez i learned that "innovative grav harness" is actually rocket boots that give you +60 TUs as well as flying, just, no real armor. Unfortunately only catgirls can use them.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Eau de MacGowan posted:

the chosen rule, you've got angry woman, sarcastic man, and the other guy

Id call Warlock a Religious nutjob

Also replaying 2 for funsies, and I forget how long the midgame can last, and how 60% of research projects are kinda pointless.
Also 3 of my guys somehow randomed into a Kaiba voice pack, and one randomed into Cartman. One also randomed into RvB Sarge but he died in an ambush :(

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I downloaded one of those 'chosen shut up' mods and it at least makes Hunter and Assassin into seemingly cold threats. The Warlock going to the spectral zombie well every turn makes him a weenie tho.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Playing WotC for the first time since I never got around to it back in the day, and my god, the Chosen are dumb. Not, like, powerful or unfair in combat, but goofy and tone-spoiling. The first time one spawned in and turned to camera while delivering their threat, I nearly spit out my drink. It's like I'm fighting Scooby-Doo villains.

I'll just assume that anyone who complained about Chimera Squad ruining the tone of this series never played WotC.

That's the whole vibe of WotC: you are playing a Sunday morning cartoon and it's great.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah I think the franchise kinda abandoned any pretensions at seriousness with Enemy Within and honestly? It's probably what the studio is good at.

Leave sad middle aged men having a bad time to Xenonauts.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Alchenar posted:

That's the whole vibe of WotC: you are playing a Sunday morning cartoon and it's great.

Thing is X-com always had that, well it being Saturday morning one. A bloody and violent one sure but it still felt like it you could wake up to it and have a blast. Same thing Warcraft 1 and 2 had back then too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttggec6eJFY

This wouldve been an awesome cartoon. Terror from the Deep or Declassified is probably the most serious it ever was and TFTD still had that cartoony goofy vibe just a very creepy one, and no one wants to acknowledge Declassified.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Panzeh posted:

Today in Xpiratez i learned that "innovative grav harness" is actually rocket boots that give you +60 TUs as well as flying, just, no real armor. Unfortunately only catgirls can use them.

Well this is good to know, as I'm currently playing a new campaign too and have a few catgirls in my usual squad setup. I also just got access to recruiting ogres, looking forward to putting those dudes to use once I train them up a bit and get some better armor for them. :getin:

Also, I tried the Theban Hive start this time, and just lmao @ how convenient it is to have several extra rear end kickers with aqua suits from the get-go.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nordick posted:

Well this is good to know, as I'm currently playing a new campaign too and have a few catgirls in my usual squad setup. I also just got access to recruiting ogres, looking forward to putting those dudes to use once I train them up a bit and get some better armor for them. :getin:

Also, I tried the Theban Hive start this time, and just lmao @ how convenient it is to have several extra rear end kickers with aqua suits from the get-go.

And as an added bonus you get some slightly less lovely guns and decent knives right off the bat!

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Fangz posted:

Yeah I think the franchise kinda abandoned any pretensions at seriousness with Enemy Within and honestly? It's probably what the studio is good at.

Leave sad middle aged men having a bad time to Xenonauts.

lol wtf

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shoenin posted:

This wouldve been an awesome cartoon. Terror from the Deep or Declassified is probably the most serious it ever was and TFTD still had that cartoony goofy vibe just a very creepy one, and no one wants to acknowledge Declassified.

I really want a modern take on TFTD because I really want to hear the sound design for a Bio-Drone "screaming" its enemies to death. :gonk:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sJNK4VKeoBM&t=2s

2007 (40 yo lmao) regdates will convince themselves they actually love this

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

That veing said, xenonauts felt unfinished

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
I’m personally not a fan of the constant radio chatter from the Chosen, but they also add nothing to the story.

If they really wanted to go for a more personal threat in the expansion, I think it would have worked better if they had some elite Advent hunter squad going after you with their leader very occasionally broadcasting a message. Instead we get some superpowered human alien hybrids (one with extremely strong psionics!) who somehow don’t tie into the plot of the Elders looking for superpowered human alien hybrid bodies.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Smith Comma John posted:

I’m personally not a fan of the constant radio chatter from the Chosen, but they also add nothing to the story.

If they really wanted to go for a more personal threat in the expansion, I think it would have worked better if they had some elite Advent hunter squad going after you with their leader very occasionally broadcasting a message. Instead we get some superpowered human alien hybrids (one with extremely strong psionics!) who somehow don’t tie into the plot of the Elders looking for superpowered human alien hybrid bodies.

The elders are looking to create a superpowered human/alien hybrid body specifically strong enough to handle serving as a vessel for them. The chosen are meant to be evolutionary stepping stones along that path; extremely powerful, but insufficient for the task of hosting an ethereal permanently, likely because they were created using much less extreme measures than "put millions of humans in a juicer and extract the best DNA out of the results".

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Night10194 posted:

And as an added bonus you get some slightly less lovely guns and decent knives right off the bat!

Oh yeah that too, although those are definitely a secondary bonus. The UAC carbines are okay, but I quite quickly replaced them with Tommyguns and Homefront rifles in standard use (until I got even better stuff, of course). The latter just feels thematically right too since I'm doing a Peasant Revolution run.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nordick posted:

Oh yeah that too, although those are definitely a secondary bonus. The UAC carbines are okay, but I quite quickly replaced them with Tommyguns and Homefront rifles in standard use (until I got even better stuff, of course). The latter just feels thematically right too since I'm doing a Peasant Revolution run.

The key to the Homefront Rifle is to put a bayonet on it.

Also Xenonauts is more just boring than anything else. There's no flavor at all to it. It doesn't have the wildness of UFO: AfterX, it doesn't have the goofy saturday morning fun of something like Chimera Squad, it's just kinda there, trying to be X-COM, not really getting X-COM well.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Night10194 posted:

The key to the Homefront Rifle is to put a bayonet on it.
Well, obviously.

I actually kinda like the more subdued aesthetic of Xenonauts (the battlefield sprites in 1 aside). It's a nice change from the rock'n'roll of XCOM 2 and the utter pandemonium of Piratez. :shrug:

It also does this kinda cold, creeping dread really well.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The only fun bit of Xenonauts is your science head sending a very strongly worded letter about not bringing him back any more chryssalids and the one we’ve got he’s accidentally put in the furnace whoops

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Xenonauts 2 has a demo in next week’s Steam Next Fest, I think.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Nordick posted:

The aqua suits actually make certain missions that would normally be difficult quite trivial. Gold shields block certain kinds of damage very well, and one of these is the kind zombies do. The problem is, most enemies early on use weapons that go right through them.

The approach in making my own personal version of the mod is to make the benefits of picking regions kinda in line with that. For example, starting in Rogue Fields starts you with a twin-MG armored car instead of absolutely nothing but government fines.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 3, 2023

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Panzeh posted:

The aqua suits actually make certain missions that would normally be difficult quite trivial. Gold shields block certain kinds of damage very well, and one of these is the kind zombies do.
Yup, I'm very aware, which is why they (and competent extra hands to wear them) are the primary thing I love about the Theban start. A few decent carbines and knives are just a little bonus.

That said, I briefly tried the Cali Republic start too, and starting with a squad of catgirls is definitely not bad either. They can't take a hit, but they're good shots and most importantly have better night vision than your gals.

Anyways, another Piratez thing: What do you guys usually do base specialization wise? I suddenly find myself feeling kinda aimless regarding new bases, and could use some inspiration.

Currently I have:

- The starting base which is the usual mix of research, manufacturing and housing my A-list troops.

- Secondary base which is mainly just an airbase for interceptors. So a bunch of hangars, AA and some extra living space for defensive troops. Also an extra prison, which is now obsolete due to:

- Third base where I plopped the special Peasant Revolution HQ building. I'm not *really* using it for anything at the moment, aside from housing and training a bunch of extra troops. The planetwide craft detection is cool though. Although now I'm getting and idea of maybe transferring my best troops and their transports here, to make room in the starting base for more manufacturing and research capacity.

Note, I'm not looking for some kind of ~*optimal meta pro strats for Jack Sparrow speedrunning*~. Just, like I said, inspiration.

EDIT: Also, someone talk me into getting rid of (or keeping?) the Warbird. I'm hanging onto it because the thought of having a badass attack helicopter with some actual firepower is cool, but I don't really have a specific use for it aside from sometimes ganking some slow enemy craft with it just for shits and giggles.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 3, 2023

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, Cali starts you with catgirls now?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Night10194 posted:

Wait, Cali starts you with catgirls now?

Yup, 8 of them, as of this last December update. They're given to you as captives, so there's a couple small hoops to jump through to recruit them, but it's almost just a formality.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I usually make a main base with whatever, then a factory base, and then third or fourth bases for coverage purposes. I usually don't make more than two bases until i have base defense structures.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nordick posted:

Yup, I'm very aware, which is why they (and competent extra hands to wear them) are the primary thing I love about the Theban start. A few decent carbines and knives are just a little bonus.

That said, I briefly tried the Cali Republic start too, and starting with a squad of catgirls is definitely not bad either. They can't take a hit, but they're good shots and most importantly have better night vision than your gals.

They're also fast as hell. Their Reactions and TUs are incredible and a catgirl who lines things up right can just slice right through an entire squad of enemies in hand to hand. Of course, if you make a mistake she gets shot and dies, but hey, X-COM.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Alright, this is a bit embarrassing, but is there any way I can get a basic thorough guide on how to install X-Piratez? I have X-COM on Steam, and I just spent a very frustrating two hours finding out that, AFAICT, every single piece of installation documentation for OpenXcom AND X-PIratez are flawed and/or outdated in some way, which made it immensely frustrating. I want to do goofy ninja and pirate poo poo, but it was immensely frustrating.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Night10194 posted:

They're also fast as hell. Their Reactions and TUs are incredible and a catgirl who lines things up right can just slice right through an entire squad of enemies in hand to hand. Of course, if you make a mistake she gets shot and dies, but hey, X-COM.
Actually I believe they were also somewhat nerfed to sensible levels, while also making them more easily obtainable. Their max TUs and reactions are still higher than an uber gal's, but not grossly so.

John Lee posted:

Alright, this is a bit embarrassing, but is there any way I can get a basic thorough guide on how to install X-Piratez? I have X-COM on Steam, and I just spent a very frustrating two hours finding out that, AFAICT, every single piece of installation documentation for OpenXcom AND X-PIratez are flawed and/or outdated in some way, which made it immensely frustrating. I want to do goofy ninja and pirate poo poo, but it was immensely frustrating.
Oh yeah I remember having a bit of a time with that too. Unfortunately, I already forgot how I figured it out exactly, or what I did. But I spent some time re-figuring it out just now, so here goes:

First of all, you don't need to download OpenXcom (or OXCE) at all because it's already baked into the XPiratez package in the ModDB.

1. Download the latest mod archive from https://www.moddb.com/mods/x-piratez/downloads and extract the Dioxine_XPiratez folder to wherever you wanna keep it.
2. Find your OG X-Com install folder and, from the XCOM subfolder therein, copy the folders GEODATA, GEOGRAPH, MAPS, ROUTES, SOUND, TERRAIN, UFOGRAPH, UFOINTRO and UNITS into Dioxine_XPiratez\UFO.
3. Run the game via OpenXcomEx.exe in the Dioxine_XPiratez folder.
4. You'll (probably?) end up in the vanilla OpenXCom menu. Click on the "MODS" button and from there select X-Piratez in the drop-down menu at the top. You'll only have to do this once.
5. Brace yourself for a barrage of varying levels of atrocious horny cartoon art
6. Go pirating! (you can turn off the super long intro slideshow in the advanced section in options)

If that doesn't work, I've probably forgotten something. Ever since I first installed it, I've simply updated by grabbing the new version's archive and extracting it on top of the old folder to overwrite whatever gets overwritten, which is also explicitly against instructions, yet it's worked perfectly fine every time. v:v:v

If all else fails I can just .zip my game folder into an archive and send it your way somehow.

Also if anyone spots any mistakes I might have made above, please do pipe up.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 3, 2023

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nordick posted:

Actually I believe they were also somewhat nerfed to sensible levels, while also making them more easily obtainable. Their max TUs and reactions are still higher than an uber gal's, but not grossly so.

That's probably for the best; they'd kinda obsoleted Lokk'Narr entirely when they were first introduced.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

That's probably for the best; they'd kinda obsoleted Lokk'Narr entirely when they were first introduced.

I still don't really think lokk'narrs are much good for anything but driving late game vehicles like hovertanks and xec suits.

Also catgirls are terrors with silenced pistols.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lokk'Narrs are good for being goddamn hilarious when one of them beats a Chryssalid to death with a bike chain.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

Lokk'Narrs are good for being goddamn hilarious when one of them beats a Chryssalid to death with a bike chain.

Nice.

I will say i'm not sure I care for the change to the way you get *faction* secrets any more. It used to be that once you got the interrogation techniques tech, you just needed the correct prisoner and then you could manufacture and get the secret.

Now, once you get interrogation techniques, it just adds the secrets tech to the list, which is... annoying as all hell. I get the idea being to slow down tech progression, but it really slows things down. Dioxine getting pissed off about players beelining has been a problem of his for years though. For example, he considers looking at the tech viewer to be cheating.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Panzeh posted:

For example, he considers looking at the tech viewer to be cheating.

Are you serious? I'm astonished he actually made the Ninjas less of a massive pain in the rear end considering the guy seems to be a fascist jackass.

Like, the whole point of the tech system is 'try to figure out how to get to the thing you need'. It gives you objectives to work towards, like trying to get craft weapons or explosives.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

Are you serious? I'm astonished he actually made the Ninjas less of a massive pain in the rear end considering the guy seems to be a fascist jackass.

Like, the whole point of the tech system is 'try to figure out how to get to the thing you need'. It gives you objectives to work towards, like trying to get craft weapons or explosives.

Yeah, I tried talking about a few things with him but he's just, out there about anything that might be conceived as criticism of his work- it's kinda why i've ended up making my own changes to the mod. He also really wants you to do the Dr.X plotline and made the alternate path toe Mars dependent on it, as well, as a lot of techs. It's not technically necessary in a normal playthrough but it's way easier if you do the x-prison at some point.

X-prison is, for the viewers, a very tedious mission where you start with 6 ubers with nothing but shivs and have to clear out a whole base. It's possible, not even that hard with the basic AI, but the problem is the mission takes so long that you really have to manage morale.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also Dr. X just loving sucks.

E: The sad thing is the X-Prison mission would actually be really fun if it was just shorter. A short 'break out of prison, punch out some guards, grab weapons, raise hell.' mission would be a fun plot mission but instead the place is like 2x the size of an average Alien Base.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 3, 2023

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I don't remember getting any shivs in the X-prison mission. :v: I never had an issue with that mission, it's kind of a fun diversion from the usual stuff. I probably wouldn't want to do it multiple times per game, though. Also, it gets noticeably quicker to get through when you make liberal use of the pickaxe to break shortcuts through walls. In my current game the mission actually ended by the time I reached the top floor, because all the remaining enemies were panicking and surrendered.

The Reticulan base missions where you have to basically do the same thing but with peasants tick me off more. Fortunately they're not mandatory.

The REALLY tedious bullshit is enemies getting into the loving sludge tunnels during base defenses. I refuse to engage with that horseshit anymore, and just debug mode kill everything once I've cleared the actual base from enemies.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Nordick posted:

Oh yeah I remember having a bit of a time with that too. Unfortunately, I already forgot how I figured it out exactly, or what I did. But I spent some time re-figuring it out just now, so here goes:

First of all, you don't need to download OpenXcom (or OXCE) at all because it's already baked into the XPiratez package in the ModDB.

1. Download the latest mod archive from https://www.moddb.com/mods/x-piratez/downloads and extract the Dioxine_XPiratez folder to wherever you wanna keep it.
2. Find your OG X-Com install folder and, from the XCOM subfolder therein, copy the folders GEODATA, GEOGRAPH, MAPS, ROUTES, SOUND, TERRAIN, UFOGRAPH, UFOINTRO and UNITS into Dioxine_XPiratez\UFO.
3. Run the game via OpenXcomEx.exe in the Dioxine_XPiratez folder.
4. You'll (probably?) end up in the vanilla OpenXCom menu. Click on the "MODS" button and from there select X-Piratez in the drop-down menu at the top. You'll only have to do this once.
5. Brace yourself for a barrage of varying levels of atrocious horny cartoon art
6. Go pirating! (you can turn off the super long intro slideshow in the advanced section in options)

If that doesn't work, I've probably forgotten something. Ever since I first installed it, I've simply updated by grabbing the new version's archive and extracting it on top of the old folder to overwrite whatever gets overwritten, which is also explicitly against instructions, yet it's worked perfectly fine every time. v:v:v

If all else fails I can just .zip my game folder into an archive and send it your way somehow.

Also if anyone spots any mistakes I might have made above, please do pipe up.

I'll try it out in the next couple days and let you know how it goes, many thanks comrade

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Nordick posted:

(installation instructions)

Well, that seems to have done the trick - simple and effective. I could have sworn I did exactly that last night, only with the download off the website/forums, which shouldn't have made any difference! Either way, many thanks, and I'm excited for mid-century hammy sci-fi adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

John Lee posted:

Well, that seems to have done the trick - simple and effective. I could have sworn I did exactly that last night, only with the download off the website/forums, which shouldn't have made any difference! Either way, many thanks, and I'm excited for mid-century hammy sci-fi adventures.

Hope you're ready for the level of horny the mod has on display. I've kinda tuned it out, but if you're not prepared, it's a lot.