Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Framme and Clanne claim to be the 33rd generation and by this point the whole endeavor is basically "Jehovah's Witnesses but for dragons".

tbf, jehovah's witnesses would be way more popular if you could actually go and witness jehovah on the weekends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chapter 22 spoilers: Corrupted Alear would've been way cooler if they had all red hair and eyes for this chapter. I know they established that Veyle's Corrupted look the same as they did in life but it still would've been cooler, to go with the red fell versions of the Emblems

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I like how everyone keeps pretending Alear is a normal person and not someone who is 2/3s of the way of stripping the entire continent bare of wildlife.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Judge Tesla posted:

Vander and the twins are the elite guard who have been watching over Alear as she sleeps right? So does this mean there's been entire generations of guards who have spent their whole lives saying to Lumera "She's still asleep my lady" day after day after day?

They're less of an elite guard and more of a janitorial crew that happens to have combat training. The Somniel is a flying island that is specifically warded against anybody but divine dragons and those who divine dragons invite being able to enter, so their jobs were probably mostly along the lines of "scrub the steps, clean the toilets, and make sure the divine dragon's bedding isn't molding".

Picturing some poor custodian rolling a snoring Alear out of bed onto a temporary couch while the other one moves a new mattress in because the old one has been there for a century.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Endorph posted:

tbf, jehovah's witnesses would be way more popular if you could actually go and witness jehovah on the weekends

I like to imagine there's an isolated village of people who don't believe Alear is real.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Judge Tesla posted:

Vander and the twins are the elite guard who have been watching over Alear as she sleeps right? So does this mean there's been entire generations of guards who have spent their whole lives saying to Lumera "She's still asleep my lady" day after day after day?

Characters mention making pilgrimages to watch them sleep, so I’d think the stewards are there to make sure nobody touches Alear’s butt or something

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Actually... is Vander literally the twins' dad, or just their mentor?

How the heck do you even get that job?

...Or given that Chloe immediately asks about installing her own bed in Alear's bedroom, maybe it's a self-selecting kind of job.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It's mentioned once or twice he's their uncle so it's probably hereditary to one degree or another.

My real question is: 1000 years asleep, why is there a piano in the room. But also, no pillow?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Cythereal posted:

He's their mentor, their parents are still alive.

I imagine it's a prestigious role that people volunteer for. "WANTED: Personal attendant to sleeping Jesus Christ. Lifetime employment, full benefits, room and board."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The ally notebook says that Vander is a "distant relative" of Framme and Clanne, but yeah their parents are still alive too.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I look forward to seeing more of the Brodia supports in a future playthrough to get more about Alcryst's deal. He basically hits all the markers for "abused child" except that his environment seems to be 100% supportive. How did he get like that? Was his mother evil? Is he haunted by fell dragon ghosts? Did he accidentally kill his pet hamster as a child?

I'm starting to kind of like the limited number of supports you get to unlock, just because it means that after a single playthrough you still have a lot of depth you haven't scratched.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Pureauthor posted:

I like how everyone keeps pretending Alear is a normal person and not someone who is 2/3s of the way of stripping the entire continent bare of wildlife.

Wouldn't you be if you had an infinitely large stable and were allowed to do so?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Since the "avatar" is basically a fully fleshed out character, they really should stop letting you rename them if they're going to do full voice acting. In addition to having everyone repeat your title ad infinitum, it's just weird to have a sentence structured around the character's name and then the last word is just dropped off. A text block will say "Nice to meet you, I'm the Divine Dragon Alear" and you hear "Nice to meet you, I'm the Divine Dragon ____” and it's jarring.

The only time I thought it worked well was Claude calling you Teach in 3 Houses, but that was outweighed by everyone else calling you Professor. Even years after the academy it doesn't feel right when someone's like "I'm so in love with you, I can't wait to spend our lives together, Professor!"

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Reminder to adopt them all.

https://twitter.com/miyuliart/status/1620828373332398085

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf that professor thing is another thing that works better in japanese, where calling your romantic partner or even your spouse by a title isnt that uncommon

in conclusion i wish FE games got better TLs

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think it's time to give up on renamable characters. Final Fantasy figured that out after FFX, at least for their single-player games (obviously you gotta let the player name their character in an MMO). I wouldn't mind one bit if the next Fire Emblem just lets players pick their main character's gender but has a set name.

There are multiple scenes in Engage that would've come across better for me if the characters could say "Alear" instead of "Divine One."

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Name Alear Marth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

I think it's time to give up on renamable characters. Final Fantasy figured that out after FFX, at least for their single-player games

i imagine they would have taken a different tact if ffx had saved the company

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Honestly I have no idea why they've let you rename any of them since Robin. Robin at least had customization with the various portraits and hair colors+ stats and classes. At this point literally all that has been stripped away to the point you make zero choices with Byleth or Alear outside of the name and gender.

Just lock the names in at this point, its what everyone and all the spinoffs will call them anyways! Even the next game in the series will as seen with Byleth's emblem.

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
I managed to get to the climax of the plot without doing any emblem paralogues. I haven't tried them yet, but it does look like the level requirements don't scale, so I'm going to attempt to build a B-team of ignored and benched characters and try to tackle all of them with it. Hopefully the level scaling between them won't be steep

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Make the next protagonist have a really stupid nomme de guerre that they gave themself. Not as longwinded as "Divine Dragon", but proper edgelordy. "Shade" or "Ghost" or something. And they insist that everyone calls them by that name, and since no one knows they gave it to themselves, they comply.

Record some grunts from the cast, so there are moments they attempt to call the protagonist by the name the player used, but they always get cut-off.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

Sure, though I think the better point of comparison would be Three Houses, since that's the first time it actually became an issue. The voice acting in Awakening and Fates is limited enough that it never really ran into the "we can't say the player character's name" problem in a major way.

They've also pared back on other player avatar things, either for technical reasons (you can't customize their appearance anymore because of the prerendered cutscenes) or otherwise (you don't get to pick things like a boon/bane for Byleth or Alear).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well three houses had it because of its massive otome game/dating sim influence

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It was about as good as we could hope for with it, too. Everyone calling them professor feels fairly normal, almost like an endearing nickname. "Divine dragon" or "the Divine Dragon" just doesn't have any flow. And also, the voice line is read in a way that's different than the script reads, since they'll end their sentence on dragon, but it reads like the sentence continues, so the performance gives every sentence it comes up the incorrect tone, and that irritates me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alear walking up to a sheep that is grazing right next to a farmhouse that is clearly still occupied, picking it up like a football, and making a run for it

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Cythereal posted:

...Or given that Chloe immediately asks about installing her own bed in Alear's bedroom, maybe it's a self-selecting kind of job.

There are supports with the three where Vander mentions the twins parents entrusting them into his care, so he isn’t their father but that doesn’t exclude other kinds of familial relationships

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So everyone keeps throwing around comparisons to this being like a Saturday Morning Cartoon but despite that I only really recall it being likened to Kamen Rider Fourze like, 6 pages ago and I've never seen enough Kamen Rider to stick with it (Didn't have Ti-Vo or any way to watch them in order at the time) so I have no idea what that means. Can I get an animated comparison? We talking Megaman NT Warrior, Jackie Chan Adventures, Eon Kid, Viewtiful Joe, Sonic X or what?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

It was about as good as we could hope for with it, too. Everyone calling them professor feels fairly normal, almost like an endearing nickname. "Divine dragon" or "the Divine Dragon" just doesn't have any flow. And also, the voice line is read in a way that's different than the script reads, since they'll end their sentence on dragon, but it reads like the sentence continues, so the performance gives every sentence it comes up the incorrect tone, and that irritates me.

I really don't think everyone calling you professor felt normal when it included your colleagues.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

So everyone keeps throwing around comparisons to this being like a Saturday Morning Cartoon but despite that I only really recall it being likened to Kamen Rider Fourze like, 6 pages ago and I've never seen enough Kamen Rider to stick with it (Didn't have Ti-Vo or any way to watch them in order at the time) so I have no idea what that means. Can I get an animated comparison? We talking Megaman NT Warrior, Jackie Chan Adventures, Eon Kid, Viewtiful Joe, Sonic X or what?

Power Rangers

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Endorph posted:

I mean

If they hadn't had FFX's success, Spirits Within probably would've killed them outright.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I completed Tiki’s paralogue (thanks thread), and I’ve gotten Jean too much experience as he hit level 11. I want to promote him but I’m at chapter 9 and don’t get another master seal till level 10. Is it worth temporarily benching him to stop him getting levels and make the most of the promoted growths or is it ok for me to keep using him?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

RareAcumen posted:

It's Power Rangers. The Corrupted are straight up just Puttys

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

jimmydalad posted:

So I completed Tiki’s paralogue (thanks thread), and I’ve gotten Jean too much experience as he hit level 11. I want to promote him but I’m at chapter 9 and don’t get another master seal till level 10. Is it worth temporarily benching him to stop him getting levels and make the most of the promoted growths or is it ok for me to keep using him?

It's not like there's a limited amount of levels in this game, you'll be fine.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

An extra level or two isn't going to make a major difference, keep using him if you want to.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I started my maddening run and was about to finish chapter 5 but forgot to equip bond rings to gain sp, argh please tell me the sp rate is poo poo enough to not care about 1 mission

BigOwlGuyBMJ
Dec 13, 2022

Tae posted:

I started my maddening run and was about to finish chapter 5 but forgot to equip bond rings to gain sp, argh please tell me the sp rate is poo poo enough to not care about 1 mission

engage rings are 1:1 exp to sp, bond rings are 1:1/2 exp to sp and no ring means NO SP FOR YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Maxing out a nation to level 5 gives you a special S-Rank weapon you can't obtain otherwise, comparable to the ones you get from later chapters. The only weird one is Elusia which gives you a 1-time use S-Rank staff.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I'm up to chapter 17 on maddening now, and I'm at the point where 17 is really kicking my rear end (and has done for 2 days), but going down to hard just feels way too easy. All my units are suddenly doubling and killing everything in one round?? I'm gonna stick with maddening for a bit, but dang do I wish there was an intermediate difficulty between them where there's either more enemies, or the enemies have higher stats but not both. The AI changes are probably the biggest thing though. Bosses aggoring together, enemies ignoring perfect evasion tanks, etc. really adds up.

In conclusion, chapter 17 is very rude.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Lol at the scenes before chapter 21. I was defending this game's story before this but that was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hellioning posted:

I really don't think everyone calling you professor felt normal when it included your colleagues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoe24aSvLtw

Pureauthor posted:

Power Rangers

Scrap Dragon posted:

It's Power Rangers. The Corrupted are straight up just Puttys

Waitt, there was an animated Power Rangers show? drat, how'd I never see that?