Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
you can get the upcoming dark souls lore compendium book for that price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Gripweed posted:

that looks interesting let me just order a copy-

what the gently caress?

it's free on lib gen ;)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/benbvi3ws/status/1621120218620723203

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I stopped reading Turtledove after I got to the one where he assumes the Japanese bring transports with the Kido Butai on December 7th and launch an amphibious invasion of the Hawaiian islands concurrent to the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

Specifically, the dude spent way too many pages describing how the American civilians were used as comfort women by the Japanese during this fictional occupation. I mean, okay, if you want to highlight how vile that practice is and that maybe it never got as much attention because it only happened to brown people, I suppose there's a literary flourish there, but did you have to narrates the rapes in such gratuitous detail?

It didn't only happen to brown people, happened to Dutch Indonesians also, for one.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Gripweed posted:

what the gently caress?

These are supposed to be brought by Blockbuster and rent it to you for 8.99 each (with a free sofa)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Gripweed posted:

what the gently caress?

the best bit is when the authors have to buy the paper themselves if they’ve lost their free pdf copy

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

the best bit is when the authors have to buy the paper themselves if they’ve lost their free pdf copy

icanhazpdf ftw

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The right wing papers can be a bit more honest about this since we know their hearts are in the (far-) right place. The liberal press always has to prove that they love the soil and are willing to spill the blood.

Also I guess there's a lot of grumbling by German industry, though obviously not enough to change policy. After all you can't just call up the Bundeskanzler when you need some Third World country couped while you can just build a new factory in Texas.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 16:13 on Feb 2, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

with pop levels so low how will they do cultural conversion? :ohdear:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
why would anyone still live in a frontline city though? it makes sense Kherson would be abandoned

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
ukranians being elves have naturally high dexterity and can dodge the crude orcorussian weapons being fired at them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

is that considered a success by Ukraine ?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

why would anyone still live in a frontline city though? it makes sense Kherson would be abandoned

well yes but think of every other Ukrainian settlement that found itself on the front. Think of Mariupol. Ukraine made the decision early on to have a policy of no-evacuation in exchange for turning all civilians into partisans. Or that was the plan. They were proudly boasting about every granny having Molotov. Luckily that didn't seem to actually happen. Now whether this plan was out of desperation or knowing that Russian troops would shoot back at civilians shooting at them, causing the resulting political fallout, is down to personal cynicism.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

don't they put their houses on chicken legs?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Regarde Aduck posted:

well yes but think of every other Ukrainian settlement that found itself on the front. Think of Mariupol. Ukraine made the decision early on to have a policy of no-evacuation in exchange for turning all civilians into partisans. Or that was the plan. They were proudly boasting about every granny having Molotov. Luckily that didn't seem to actually happen. Now whether this plan was out of desperation or knowing that Russian troops would shoot back at civilians shooting at them, causing the resulting political fallout, is down to personal cynicism.

Granted, there was still people living in Stalingrad during the fighting, some people often stand put no matter how bad it gets (especially if they really have no where to go). It is also why conscription has shifted all the way to Western Ukraine since a lot of northern/southern/eastern Ukraine is pretty much depopulated at this point. (It is a good question of how many people are still left in Kiev, but that probably going to take indepedent investigation.)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

euphronius posted:

is that considered a success by Ukraine ?

the other 80% were collaborators and have been administered justice

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Майор Гром posted:

Is Russia not Rome?

- War veterans are given free land allotments;
- Those who have lost their freedom can regain it by fighting for the Republic;
- The respected legates and patricians Prigoginius and Strelkowus quarrel with each other;
- good equipment a legionary has to buy himself;
- During the war you can criticize the leadership;
- The senate constantly talks poo poo;
- Supporting auxiliaries from various ethnicities;
- "Var, give me back my BTGRs!"

Source
(from t.me/mayorthunder/396, via tgsa)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Slava Ukraini

It's from Aliexpress. No money went to Azov battalion just to pull off this shitpost.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The vile Putinist dog Mikheil Saakashvili is being starved to death in the Georgian dungeon he's been held in

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Just like there will be a Shelby Foote writing about our era, there will be an Adam Tooze writing about our hilariously inept, ideologically poisoned, defence industries.

I wanna see Armando Iannucci go nuts with it.

Endman posted:

I’m going to assume it’ll work like the laser defence thing on the Paladin from Command & Conquer Generals

This makes sense, the Paladin was too expensive to actually use in competitive multiplayer. Mostly you'd just use HMMVs, but if you wanted a tank, mainly against the Middle Eastern themed GLA, you'd use the ehhh *checks notes* the Crusader.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 17:26 on Feb 2, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

V. Illych L. posted:

ah, academic publishing prices

these aren't supposed to be bought by individuals, they're supposed to be purchased by a certain number of interested institutions. those institutions typically have big budgets, so books become ludicrously expensive and have relatively small print runs to make them as lucrative as possible

Yep. It’s pretty wild, some of the monographs are like $300.

The same model as grognard board and computer wargames.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

January 6 Survivor posted:

125mm tungsten APFDS going through the thin armor like a hot knife through butter because (choose your own adventure) :
- the 360° sensors that watch for incoming rounds couldn't see poo poo because the weather was 10% more overcast than during the testing phase
- the countermeasures system has RFIDs in its charges to prevent non OEM charges from being used and this lot wasn't properly encoded so it didn't fire
- the calibration wasn't done right and all the charges were expanded shooting at butterflies, field mice, shadows of birds on the ground and leaves in the wind before the battle even started
- a glitch in the software makes the active protection stop working if you engage/disengage the reverse gear 3 times in the same minute
- can only handle 1 incoming projectile at a time so the enemy just starts firing in coordinated volleys
- it's oversensitive and will treat a round of 5.45 flying nearby as as dangerous as an ATGM and won't be able to react in time
- and lastly, since it's german, it is amazing marvel of engineering that is 100% reliable except when exposed to water, dirt or dust which luckily doesn't exist on the battlefields of eastern europe

It's German engineering, so they're going to have 15 versions of the same system. Each version will have different flaws, and it will be loving impossible for you to tell which version you're currently using. Rest assured that each version is the absolute top of the line best-in-class at dealing with one very specific and narrow task, however.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

V. Illych L. posted:

ah, academic publishing prices

entirely unrelated to the thread but princeton's academic press is having a big sale until the 14th, 75% off books with the code FEB75

https://press.princeton.edu/

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

no offense to the russians but getting a 'land allotment' in siberia is alot different level attractiveness than a nice Pepperoni farm in southern italy.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Raskolnikov38 posted:

entirely unrelated to the thread but princeton's academic press is having a big sale until the 14th, 75% off books with the code FEB75

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

pepperoni is not a plant.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

rule #1 of being right all the time:- Never Read

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

euphronius posted:

You can have animals on a farm. Like in famous book Animal Farm.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

ummm then why are they shaped like a japanese turnip or a big zuccini then care to explain?!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

https://press.princeton.edu/books/paperback/9780691152387/stalins-genocides

quote:

Between the early 1930s and his death in 1953, Joseph Stalin had more than a million of his own citizens executed. Millions more fell victim to forced labor, deportation, famine, bloody massacres, and detention and interrogation by Stalin’s henchmen. Stalin’s Genocides is the chilling story of these crimes. The book puts forward the important argument that brutal mass killings under Stalin in the 1930s were indeed acts of genocide and that the Soviet dictator himself was behind them.

Norman Naimark, one of our most respected authorities on the Soviet era, challenges the widely held notion that Stalin’s crimes do not constitute genocide, which the United Nations defines as the premeditated killing of a group of people because of their race, religion, or inherent national qualities. In this gripping book, Naimark explains how Stalin became a pitiless mass killer. He looks at the most consequential and harrowing episodes of Stalin’s systematic destruction of his own populace—the liquidation and repression of the so-called kulaks, the Ukrainian famine, the purge of nationalities, and the Great Terror—and examines them in light of other genocides in history. In addition, Naimark compares Stalin’s crimes with those of the most notorious genocidal killer of them all, Adolf Hitler.
I'm sure there are a lot of other fine books but lol

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

meanwhile in the land of serious not propaganda news sources, Russians are literally Zombies from a movie:-

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/01/europe/ukraine-soldiers-fighting-wagner-intl-cmd/index.html

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

yeah i just picked up:

American Covenant - american poltical religion
Getting Tough - demonizing welfare
Outsourcing Empire - the various trading companies during the age of sail
In the Matter of Nat Turner - jeez i wonder what this one is about

e: oh lol norman is a hoover institute shithead, god i hate stanford

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

meanwhile in the land of serious not propaganda news sources, Russians are literally Zombies from a movie:-

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/01/europe/ukraine-soldiers-fighting-wagner-intl-cmd/index.html

Seeing as zombies were a barely concealed stand-in for people the right wishes they could shoot with even less repercussions than currently that's 😬

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

BadOptics posted:

Seeing as zombies were a barely concealed stand-in for people the right wishes they could shoot with even less repercussions than currently that's 😬

huh I thought zombies was a critique of mindless consumer culture I didnt realize it was reactionary as well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1620533559420399618?t=Y9l5o24QjzOlPh7eWnyFGg&s=19

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Regarde Aduck posted:

its cool how quickly the war hosed up posters here

people that hadn't looked at politics in years just buying into this poo poo like a sportsgame

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Lady Discendo

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

huh I thought zombies was a critique of mindless consumer culture I didnt realize it was reactionary as well.

There is how it started, and how it is going.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

smug jeebus posted:

Thanks for reminding me that that mother fucker still owes me $600

$1400 = $2000 :colbert:

Also, it was worth depriving you until after the election specifically because if it came when promised and when it was needed, that money would be understood as coming from The Former Guy. We don't want people to correctly associate leaders with what few good deeds they actually perform, or the idea that they can do anything for you at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

e: oh lol norman is a hoover institute shithead, god i hate stanford

The Hoover institution is okay if you are only using its archive, it is probably the best outside the former Soviet Union for Russian/Soviet history but it is still very incomplete. Otherwise yeah....

Al-Saqr posted:

Maybe during the 1970s, but by the 2000s (the Walking Dead era), the idea is everyone is your enemy and you shouldn't stop blasting until your out of bullets. Kill the zombies, kill the survivors, hell eventually put down your own allies (who will turn on you etc); American society may in fact some trust issues.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:47 on Feb 2, 2023