Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
A lot of the classic ttrpg games ended up becoming so insanely complex that balance was a thing of a the past and min-maxing was your only option if you don't have a bunch of house rules to get around the insane tedium.

Pillars of Eternity 2 is probably the best example of a game that jettisons the ttrpg design ethos for something new, and it's almost impossible to build a non-functional character unless you really try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pentyne posted:

Pillars of Eternity 2 is probably the best example of a game that jettisons the ttrpg design ethos for something new, and it's almost impossible to build a non-functional character unless you really try.

I'd give that to Divinity OS 2, but I also haven't actually played PoE2.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Meanwhile in DE it's impossible to make a functional human being and that's not only okay but also the intended experience

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

PoE2 and DOS2 are both extremely good in different ways.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
PoE2 is essentially the solved version of RTWP. Finally getting away from the per day casting so endemic in crpgs let them build a combat system that finally makes RTWP work well and not just an approximation of turn based.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Per-day casting makes sense for D&D, specifically in the original context the rules were devised. Dungeon crawls were essentially grid-based tactical expeditions where you had to ration out your supplies and resources and spell slots function as daily ablation against longer-term attrition.

The game logic behind them starts to break down outside of that context despite it being grandfathered in due to the system being used for general roleplaying purposes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I did not expect Labyrinth of Refrain to have an attempted rape scene barely 2 hours into the game, but I guess that's anime for you.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also rolling straight 3d6s for Ability Scores, no tweaks, makes a lot of sense when you consider a context where characters are kind of disposable and gambling with your entire build every time you make a new character is not an unreasonable ask if you don't expect to last more than a handful of hours of total playtime with that character before it's time to roll up a new one. Hell, in most roguelikes this kind of dynamic is built in to the whole structure of the progression, too.

It's extremely unreasonable to demand this for players you're expecting to invest 100's of hours of playtime into their characters. That so many groups still managed to do this was in spite of the original design rather than because of it. The demands that D&D makes of its players are specific to it and its imitators and not universal within the realm of either videogame rpgs or tabletop.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone interested in going halfsies on the Survival humble bundle? I already have Chernobylite and Long Dark, so I'm only interested in State of Decay 2 and Scum. The other games we could split up or whatever. I don't care that much about them. $7 for Chernobylite alone is a really good deal.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Pizza tower is seriously a GOTY contender which is ridiculous for a game that is coming out in January. Jesus christ every inch of this fame has style.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone interested in going halfsies on the Survival humble bundle? I already have Chernobylite and Long Dark, so I'm only interested in State of Decay 2 and Scum. The other games we could split up or whatever. I don't care that much about them. $7 for Chernobylite alone is a really good deal.

Send me a DM, I'd be up for grabbing Chernobylite off you for $7 USD

edit: thanks!

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 2, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Propaganda Hour posted:

Send me a DM, I'd be up for grabbing Chernobylite off you for $7 USD

Done!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A person tells me they're into "minmaxing" I won't shake their hand; I spit at them

A minmaxer poo poo in he own mouf; a shameful minmaxer

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

Holy poo poo Pizza Tower is really good. Thought it would just be some goofy fun but it's got a really fluid and compelling movement system and you could really go crazy with the speed run/score attack aspect if you wanted, but it's also just fun to explore and work your way through the levels. Love the escape sequences too

A brilliant thing about the escape sequences is that the time limits are pretty comfortable for first time playthroughs... because on replaying a level you have the option to run a second lap in the remaining time for extra points, and that's what the time limits are actually timed for.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Pizza Tower baffles me a bit. The Wario Land series was always a favorite growing up, with Wario Land 4 in particular being something I'd frequently replay. I tried the demo for Pizza Tower though and something just didn't click with me. I don't know what it could possibly be. By all accounts I should love this game, but something's missing, like when you set something down and immediately forget where you put it the instant you aren't touching it anymore.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zereth posted:

You can't even get the REAL bullshit going in D&D anyway, not enough flexibility building characters. Call me when you play a system where you can find a way to destroy the entire planet, if not universe, on a starting character's budget.

Ah, so you want a Wild Talents CRPG.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Taken from the DF thread-

I'm really happy for the both of them

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Zereth posted:

Call me when you play a system where you can find a way to destroy the entire planet, if not universe, on a starting character's budget.

This made me think of alchemy in Morrowind.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

I did not expect Labyrinth of Refrain to have an attempted rape scene barely 2 hours into the game, but I guess that's anime for you.

It's both extremely horny and mean spirited that game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Runa posted:

The game logic behind them starts to break down outside of that context despite it being grandfathered in due to the system being used for general roleplaying purposes.

This is almost entirely the reason I preferred jrpgs to wrpgs for a very very long time, the shadow of stupid tabletop rules was long and dark, and it took way too loving long for devs to shed many of the dumber cargo cult design elements

... now if the 4x genre would just do the same thing with 'fair' ai opponents

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What's this game? I actually looked up the achievement and didn't find it

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's this game? I actually looked up the achievement and didn't find it

Jubilee. Strong recommendation for fans of moderately difficult platformers.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Runa posted:

Per-day casting makes sense for D&D, specifically in the original context the rules were devised. Dungeon crawls were essentially grid-based tactical expeditions where you had to ration out your supplies and resources and spell slots function as daily ablation against longer-term attrition.

The pervasive stickiness of the idea of "spells per day" and what an obtuse, garbage system it is never ceases to amaze me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also: skill rolls for things like lockpicking, specifically in systems where a) there are no critical failures, and b) there's no time pressure or any in-game reason you can't just try again and again

even if there *are* critical failures you really should just automatically roll until you get a definitive result. there's no excuse to do the Fallout/Baldurs Gate thing of hitting "unlock" over and over again!!!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

MuffinsAndPie posted:

Taken from the DF thread-

I'm really happy for the both of them

That's a lot of candles.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

It's a shame PoE 2 fell so flat, especially compared to Owlcat's games which are so dedicated to replicating the worst parts of D&D- for the near future we're gonna be stuck with that nonsense.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I want to play Tyranny but it's annoying me the same way Path of Exile did and I suspect PoE2 will; why does my character have like a dozen abilities/skills that are so extremely specific and detailed in what they do? It's overwhelming. I want something more complex than click-on-bad-guy-to-whack-with-club but I get really stressed out with leveling up badly or not utilizing class abilities correctly or underutilizing skills the developers are expecting me to use...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Runa posted:

Also rolling straight 3d6s for Ability Scores, no tweaks, makes a lot of sense when you consider a context where characters are kind of disposable and gambling with your entire build every time you make a new character is not an unreasonable ask if you don't expect to last more than a handful of hours of total playtime with that character before it's time to roll up a new one. Hell, in most roguelikes this kind of dynamic is built in to the whole structure of the progression, too.

It's extremely unreasonable to demand this for players you're expecting to invest 100's of hours of playtime into their characters. That so many groups still managed to do this was in spite of the original design rather than because of it. The demands that D&D makes of its players are specific to it and its imitators and not universal within the realm of either videogame rpgs or tabletop.

If I remember right, the 2E player's handbook was a bit vague on character generation so most people collectively assumed the way to do it was straight 3d6, but then the DMG came along and was like noooo stop. But the damage was done.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

credburn posted:

I want to play Tyranny but it's annoying me the same way Path of Exile did and I suspect PoE2 will; why does my character have like a dozen abilities/skills that are so extremely specific and detailed in what they do? It's overwhelming. I want something more complex than click-on-bad-guy-to-whack-with-club but I get really stressed out with leveling up badly or not utilizing class abilities correctly or underutilizing skills the developers are expecting me to use...

That’s kind of the draw for crunchy western rpgs but yeah it can be exhausting. I love the genre but can only play one a year and often end up going back to something that I’m familiar with.

I dunno what an easy alternative is. Maybe a jrpg.

KNR
May 3, 2009

victrix posted:

This is almost entirely the reason I preferred jrpgs to wrpgs for a very very long time, the shadow of stupid tabletop rules was long and dark, and it took way too loving long for devs to shed many of the dumber cargo cult design elements

... now if the 4x genre would just do the same thing with 'fair' ai opponents
Otoh, tabletop influence also kept human-scale numbers and formulas in wrpgs for a long time while jrpg systems are usually an opaque mess of 3-6 digit numbers. I guess fire emblem has (or at least had, I haven't played them since PoR) a reasonable scale and formulas, though the system wasn't actually very good (and probably had a non-negligible effect on generations of gamers misunderstanding statistics with how it misrepresents hit chances to patch up the broken system).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dragon Quest was usually good at keeping the numbers low, though yeah a lot of them were worse than pinball games with number inflation. Occasionally for comedic effect like Disgaea

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

credburn posted:

Mage/wizard/whatever it is called is great with the whole customize your spells feature. That might bring some more anxiety at first (even more choices to make!) but just using your creations gives you great feedback on what works, what is okay and what just plain sucks.

At the end of Act 1 you gain access to your first Spire and you'll be able to recruit people for it. The most expensive of them is Fatebinder Cesper* who allows you to respec infinitely at no additional cost whatsoever. This can be time consuming because of all the stats it resets for a character, but you'll be able to funnel all the experience you've earned in the things you like instead of them sitting there.

One of the companions initially appeared great to me with focus on unarmed combat. At a sudden point I switched her to solely attacking with melee weapons. It was way better and I'm glad the game gave me the opportunity to radically change her talents like that.

*apparently he was added in a patch, for those who played Tyranny at launch

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 2, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also even as someone who sort of understands it, in no way was BG-era Armor Class a "human level formula". it was designed by madmen

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a late addition to the february roster

https://twitter.com/PhantomBrigade_/status/1621217245593767939

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also even as someone who sort of understands it, in no way was BG-era Armor Class a "human level formula". it was designed by madmen
if you say "THAC0" three times into a darkened mirror you summon the Ghost of Gygax

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I've never enjoyed JRPGs with their massive numbers. Final Fantasy XIII in particular has some gigantic numbers. Like the first time you ever attack you do like 9,236 damage. When numbers are that big, I kind of wish they'd just round it down exponentially like 9,236 is inscrutable to me but 9.2 damage makes perfect sense.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Turtle Rock posted:

Greetings, Cleaners!

What an amazing year 2022 was for us. First off, we wanted to thank all of you for making Back 4 Blood what it is today. With three expansions – Tunnels of Terror, Children of the Worm, and River of Blood – we’ve traveled on a fantastic adventure together beyond the walls of Fort Hope. This phase of our war against the Ridden now comes to a close.

Turtle Rock Studios is actually pretty small for a studio making AAA games. We don’t have quite enough folks to continue working on Back 4 Blood content while we spin up another game – yes, another game! Given this, it’s time for us to put our heads down, get back in the lab, and get to work on the next big thing.

Intrepid Cleaners, this is not a goodbye.

Back 4 Blood will continue to operate, of course. In fact, Back 4 Blood is currently offered on PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium tiers and available as part of Xbox Game Pass.
Another game bites the dust. this one isn't being taken down though

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

credburn posted:

9,236 damage. When numbers are that big,

playing diablo 3 and laughing

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The 7th Guest posted:

Another game bites the dust. this one isn't being taken down though

B4B is in a much, much better spot now than it was in launch. I played it with some friends about two months ago and really enjoyed the experience overall. I'm excited to see what they do next. Seems like a perfectly fine time to stop adding stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Platinum Collection BYOB for February 2023:
ITORAH
Metamorphosis
Minute of Islands
The Council :complete edition
The Surge: Augmented Edition
The Citadel
Aquarist
Fallout 3 GOTY
Trials of Fire
Dusk 82
CharterStone Digital Edition
Fallout Classic edition (1/2 and tactics)
Airport CEO
SUPERHOT MIND CONTROL DELETE
Spirit of the Island
Trudograd

3 for $9.99/5 for $14.99/7 for $19.99

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/platinum-collection-build-your-own-bundle