Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Wait wait wait wait hold on here. We’re ignoring the most important item potentially in play here: Was Gandhi in the clip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

If Miller/Lord can make jokes about how woke everyone is today that at the same time isn't making fun of those opinions themselves in 21 Jump Street, then I will assume they can do the same in Clone High.

Lord's Twitter timeline is hating on Ron DeSantis half the time so like...

MasterSitsu fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 30, 2023

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Warbird posted:

Wait wait wait wait hold on here. We’re ignoring the most important item potentially in play here: Was Gandhi in the clip?

I saw about 3 minutes of the leak before it was pulled, and you see Gandhi frozen, however he's missing otherwise, and Abe was wondering where he was. So my assumption is Gandhi is not being brought back and Abe is raising a fuss about it and may or may not be told to settle down by the end/accept it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Phil Lord is a gusano

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I haven't bothered to watch the leak yet, but I saw one clip of Abe from the episode that really made it seems like you aren't supposed to actually be on Abe's side over the cancelled stuff.

Also I saw someone tweet "Yeah I watched the Clone High S2 leak" and then posted a picture of The Last Of Us 2, and that just makes me assume the episode is really good

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So long as Skudsworth is present and fabulous then the rest doesn’t matter. If not, we burn this motherfucker down.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Warbird posted:

So long as Skudsworth is present and fabulous then the rest doesn’t matter. If not, we burn this motherfucker down.

Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

MasterSitsu posted:

I heard the episode is mid but considering the show was literally canceled after activists were upset about the portrayal of Gandhi it should be expected that there'd be some meta-commentary on it and explaining him away if he's to be removed. I refuse to cringe till i see it myself. Based on the clip they posted it seems like a severe overreaction though.

Additional edit: lily white Michael McDonald voicing an Indian character in 2023 wasn't going to fly probably anyways. I'd give this show a lot of leeway to address it in the show. Just hope its better than the lame way Simpsons did with Apu.

It wasn’t activists it was the Indian government and they were going to ban MTV from the country for showing a Gandhi who liked to party

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Nation state action is the ultimate form of activism, yo.

pixaal posted:

Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch!

Best_skudsworth_quotes_but_its_just_all_his_lines_in_the_show.mpv

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Bushworld Adventures.

R&M started to lose me during S3 and I gave up I think after 4, but burn off the rest of their contract with [as] with that and I'm here for it.

I stumbled upon Bushworld when they had the endless stream of it (alternating with the claymation and Run The Jewels music video as bumpers between airings) and think I watched it like 5 or 6 times in a row in amazement.

At work. (Albeit with earbuds in.)

e- KICK THE BALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

i like the later seasons more then the early seasons mostly because they go away from "look jerry and beth marriage is a horror show but they will love each other or they wont or they will" again i always found the show a mixed bag and i mostly like parts of it like the training day parody on the citadel and other dumb poo poo and i like the whole evil morty ending because i like the idea that ricks are just parastic shitheads who can't stand the idea of not being the smartist person in the room so they gently caress over everyone.

MasterSitsu posted:

If Miller/Lord can make jokes about how woke everyone is today that at the same time isn't making fun of those opinions themselves in 21 Jump Street, then I will assume they can do the same in Clone High.

Lord's Twitter timeline is hating on Ron DeSantis half the time so like...

who knows. i think people can make fun of "woke" stuff, its just that alot of the jokes end up being just "i am mad its not the 80s/00s anymore and i can be a shithead" you can make fun of weirdly terminally online twitter media critics and them having over reaction to dumb poo poo all you want.

anyway, my guess is they will keep him froze and eventually replace him with indian actor probably.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh, the Tiny Toons premier has also leaked out there somewhere if you're looking for it.

The Clone High premier is fine IMO. A lot of the jokes are a bit lame, though a lot are fine and a handful are quite funny. It's got some dumb ideas about being "cancelled" which are a little overly literal and old hat -- like a less nuanced version what the (really good) Heathers show was doing -- but it's also got a handful of good ideas too. The way JFK gets a pass for being a piece of poo poo, the aggressive proliferation of unity clubs into a diaspora of conflicting interest groups, one of which is literally huffing their own farts, etc. It's a very online take concerning a terminally online moral panic, and its ultimate conclusion seems to be that far too many people aren't looking for progress so much as looking for scapegoats. I don't love it, but for a show that's about forty-something's talking about teens these days, it's, you know, basically fine.

A lot of it is also the show addressing its own status as a cultural artefact that was defrosted twenty years later, and making meta jokes about the way it could be so lovely way back when. But I got the strong sense that it's only doing this for a single episode and then moving on to something else.

MasterSitsu posted:

I saw about 3 minutes of the leak before it was pulled, and you see Gandhi frozen, however he's missing otherwise, and Abe was wondering where he was. So my assumption is Gandhi is not being brought back and Abe is raising a fuss about it and may or may not be told to settle down by the end/accept it.

Yeah, they've basically replaced Gandhi with Confucius. The character is largely identical except he seems a bit more popular and (so far) less horny.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Update on season 2 of Ten Year Old Tom
https://twitter.com/stevedildarian/status/1620552815759478784

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Kind of insane voice cast on that show. Malkovich is inspired

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

That is amazing news. For as awful as the animation is they never cut corners on the quality of the voice cast. Hell, Life and Times of Tim has such incredible voice work it could be a radio show.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh, the Tiny Toons premier has also leaked out there somewhere if you're looking for it.

They're....remaking Tiny Toons? Oh god.

Like, Animaniacs kind of works because it always had a more modern real-world, Hollywood bent to it. But, I guess if it's just a whole season of Tiny Toons-ified music videos, I'd be up for it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As long as that delightful Charlie Adler is not involved

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Data Graham posted:

it's new VAs I'm pretty sure.

also Clone High doing an episode on cancel culture kind of makes sense in some way because the show was cancelled after one season, so they can spin off of that type of cancelling to joke about the other type. and it's an ideal way to explain ghandi's removal from the show. i imagine the rest of the season will have other fish to fry, topically

(also the first episode of clone high S1 wasn't super great either, it wasn't until like episode 3 that suddenly it shot off into the stratosphere with its humor, though i did like some of the jokes in episode 2 with the extreme sports product placement)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 1, 2023

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

(also the first episode of clone high S1 wasn't super great either, it wasn't until like episode 3 that suddenly it shot off into the stratosphere with its humor, though i did like some of the jokes in episode 2 with the extreme sports product placement)

I think we were fully sold on the show with "SIGN THIS LEGIT-rear end CONTRACT"

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Didn't episode 2 also have the YTP smear campaign video?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
yeah the second episode had the "numbers don't lie" gag which remains one of my favorite jokes from the show

Warbird
May 23, 2012

If we want to take the Venture Bros thread approach and just spend like 3 pages doing nothing but posting show quotes I’d be down.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
ERhahahah NOTHING bad ever happens to the KENNEDYS!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Sort of! When she learns about about the Scooby machine Velma asks "What did Scooby do?!" so I guess you should be half killed?

I live to make lovely posts another day!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Data Graham posted:

What do you mean? Did he do anything in particular that I'm unaware of? Or is it annoyance at WB for not recruiting the old VAs?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nah I just hate his one voice

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I watched two eps of Velma, and I just.. don't wanna watch anymore. The look of it was cool, but the writing made me sad.

However, the new Legend of Vox Machina season is pretty good so far. They've toned down a lot of the, "we're drying for an 18+" stuff, and we're getting more character moments, and cool fights. It still feels fairly rushed, but less so than the last arc.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Not gonna lie, I genuinely like the Velma series by now. I'm not that into the teenage relationship drama, but the absurdity of that world and the great voice cast makes a lot of jokes land which wouldn't otherwise. And they have some real deep cuts about the Scooby lore.
I wont be sad if it gets canceled, but I do enjoy it.

But I can't tell if the writing improved, or if I just adjusted to it.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me

cant cook creole bream posted:

Not gonna lie, I genuinely like the Velma series by now. I'm not that into the teenage relationship drama, but the absurdity of that world and the great voice cast makes a lot of jokes land which wouldn't otherwise. And they have some real deep cuts about the Scooby lore.
I wont be sad if it gets canceled, but I do enjoy it.

But I can't tell if the writing improved, or if I just adjusted to it.

Da gently caress 😂

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

What the hell is this?!?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

A.o.D. posted:

What the hell is this?!?

Nowadays you can use emoticons like letters, same as when using WhatsApp, even on SA, stealing the jobs of our homegrown emoticons people have paid money to add. I don't like this trend.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Please watch informative documentary "The Emoji Movie" for more details.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
anyone who uses the laugh-cry emoji on this forum in any context should be instantly decapitated by a samurai sword

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Laugh-cry emoji is only allowed in the GBS Elon Musk Twitter thread and only when you're making fun of Elon Musk and how he is a Bad Poster

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

anyone who uses the laugh-cry emoji on this forum in any context should be instantly decapitated by a samurai sword

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

anilEhilated posted:

anyone who uses the emoji in any context should be instantly decapitated by a samurai sword

Old Man Yells At Smiley Face

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

limp_cheese posted:

That is amazing news. For as awful as the animation is they never cut corners on the quality of the voice cast. Hell, Life and Times of Tim has such incredible voice work it could be a radio show.

That show just haunts me where tim just gives well meaning but poo poo advice, he got a plumber to become a gay prostitute

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Ups_rail posted:

That show just haunts me where tim just gives well meaning but poo poo advice, he got a plumber to become a gay prostitute

The endless series of misunderstandings in the episode were genius. Especially the reaction of horror when the interpreter who finally clears everything up realizes what's just happened.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

YeahTubaMike posted:

I watched every single episode of Allen Gregory when it was on...I don't know if Velma is bad enough for that kind of hate-watching (yet?) but I'm probably still going to keep my eye on it, at least through this thread.

Sorry to bring this all the way back but holy poo poo I couldn't make it through that many episodes of Allen Gregory, how did you do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The most recent episodes of Velma really highlight what the main problem of the show: The characters are mean and terrible in incredibly unfunny ways. You don't want to see them succeed, but the show is written as if you're supposed to care about them and their interpersonal struggles. Like, there's a full episode all about how Velma and Daphne have a toxic relationship and treat each other terribly and there's no reason why they should be friends....and then at the end of it they decide to start dating and it's just like "why?". They have zero chemistry, Velma has basically zero redeeming characteristics in general, but apparently Daphne likes the way Velma is clingy and possessive and fakes serious injuries to get Daphne's attention (this isn't an exaggeration it's a plot point) so I guess they're in love now (Fred and Shaggy are also still in love with Velma "I'm written as a stupid and violent narcissist" Dinkley).

And yet, despite having one of the most unpleasant casts I've ever seen in an adult cartoon (and I've seen Drawn Together so I know what I'm talking about) the show keeps occasionally tossing out genuinely good jokes or cool concepts. This week the thing I liked most is The Fog. It turns out Velma's town is annually covered in The Fog a mysterious naturally occurring phenomenon that has the power to A) teleport people, B) make people look like monsters from a distance, and C) instantly switch the items people are holding and the clothes they're wearing. Everyone treats The Fog like a completely normal thing and the town's only response to experiencing yearly supernatural weather is to throw a huge carnival called Fog Fest. Oh, and it's a tradition to invite someone on a date to Fog Fest via a "fogposal" where you ask someone out by doing something like pretending to be dead and writing a message in blood on the wall or jumping out of their locker dressed as ghost. It's insane and I love it, it felt like an idea you'd see on Gravity Falls. Really wish I could watch the cast of Gravity Falls explore The Fog instead of Velma. Grunkle Stan was an rear end in a top hat but he was a FUNNY rear end in a top hat and that makes all the difference.