Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'll shave my head if there's a direct. I will also shave my head if there is not. My hair is getting annoyingly long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
OLED screens are actually much more power efficient because the black parts of the screen aren’t even on.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I never had a Gen 2 Switch but going from Gen 1 to OLED was a marked improvement on battery life.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

AlternateNu posted:

Just got an OLED and the difference is even more striking than I was expecting. Didn’t even realize the screen is straight up bigger, too.

Does the battery hold up as well as the Gen 2 Switch considering the addition power drain?

I played Hollow Knight on it again just because it looked so insanely good on that screen

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

AlternateNu posted:

Does the battery hold up as well as the Gen 2 Switch considering the addition power drain?

OLEDs are more efficient which offsets the increased screen size to the point the OLED switch lasts slightly longer than the second gen original switch with the same battery capacity.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Does goldeneye have online multi?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yes, though it's through the emulator's native support for multiplayer so it's a bit iffy,

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

WHY BONER NOW posted:

All of the retro apps have online play, a friend can take over one of the other controller slots and do whatever multiplayer the game itself is capable of.

e: You can even do online multiplayer in the game that people didn't know had multiplayer (Super Punch-Out)

Snake Maze fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 2, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Every NSO game has online multi.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

AlternateNu posted:

Just got an OLED and the difference is even more striking than I was expecting. Didn’t even realize the screen is straight up bigger, too.

Not sure if I've noticed a notable increase from Gen 2 to OLED but it definitely lasts at least as long which is great because Gen 2 had awesome battery life

I agree though, the screen is just stunning in person. Fire emblem absolutely pops on it

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

I got my OLED last year (traded in my Gen 1 switch towards the purchase) and I was very impressed by the improvements. Obviously the OLED screen is the biggest draw, and playing Metroid Dread on it was a real treat.

The other improvements are:

Battery Life - Big difference compared to my Gen 1. I don't know the exact figures, but I played my switch for a few hours while waiting for a delayed flight earlier this year and my battery didn't even get below 60%

Speakers- I don't know if this is a stated improvement, but I swear the unit sounds much better than my Gen 1. The base has a lot more Oompff

Kickstand - This is minor, but I love the new stand. It holds up much better than the flimsy little thing on the Gen 1

Ethernet - the dock has an ethernet port now! I don't use it, but if you are near an ethernet port its a great option to have!

I just wish Nintendo had made the OLED a pro-version with an upgraded Tegra chipset. I'm not expecting 4K or anything, but it sure would have been nice to have a slightly boosted system that could, like, run Break of the Wild at 1080p/60fps docked.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
It's so unexpected that nintendo would add online multi to those games

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It's so unexpected that nintendo would add online multi to those games
They didn’t add anything. It’s just a feature of the base emulator.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJav9cmudMA&t=1s

oh hell yeah they brought back the checkerboard minigame from 64

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Speaking of Nintendo not adding online.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tempura Wizard posted:

Makes me wonder how much longer it’s going to be before Nintendo modernizes their approach to soundtrack distribution. Pretty much every other major developer puts their stuff up on streaming services, which is both convenient and makes them a little more money.

Nintendo could make a mint with how many fans their are of their games and music, with proper stewardship. That’s not even taking into account if they did limited release collector’s items like vinyls and such.

Their typically conservative approach means I have to go to YouTube to find most of anything if I just want to stream it, and they continue to DMCA stuff at random without providing any alternative. Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

I remember hearing speculation once that the reason Nintendo doesn’t do soundtrack releases in the US is because of how music licensing works here vs. Japan. This article is a good breakdown of what people assume is going on with that, which means that it’s unlikely they’ll ever do releases. So the answer is either import (I have a CD copy of the BotW soundtrack from Japan, it’s pretty dope) or… well you know, peg leg and parrot up.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I played Hollow Knight on it again just because it looked so insanely good on that screen

Weirdly enough I think Hollow Knight looks better on the original screen or an LED tv. The light on dark text looks "fuzzy" around the edges to me. Maybe I'm just imagining it though.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Copyright is awesome. A licensing model based around player pianos of all things dictates how one can use streaming media, as if there's anything remotely common between those two things.

Actually, it's probably crap like that why Nintendo hasn't gone after randomizer hacks or decompilation projects, except in the most egregious of cases. They don't want anyone to actually take them up on their offer to litigate and find out that's considered fair use because of some bizarre passage regarding 1920s-era robotic vacuums or some bullshit. The last couple of times companies did this (Lewis Galoob Toys, Inc. v. Nintendo of America, Inc., Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. v. Connectix Corp.) set precedents they really didn't like.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

LuckyCat posted:

I never had a Gen 2 Switch but going from Gen 1 to OLED was a marked improvement on battery life.

Are you sure that wasn't just because you went from a four year old battery toa fresh one? :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
no the first gen switch had notably poor battery life, that was one of the improvements of the red box model

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

glassyalabolas posted:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/the-next-nintendo-direct-could-drop-next-week-its-claimed/

so it begins. This is what happens when Nintendo blue balls us with botw2 info.

they have announced a release date already wtf are u talking about

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The launch Switch had a dog poo poo battery. Hope the eventual successor can match the current switch and doesn’t go backwards

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

IIRC the actual battery in the Switch hasn't actually changed, but for the red box model and onward, they switched to a more efficient chip so you get longer effective battery life

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yep, some people upgraded to the red box model just for the better battery life because it was such a substantial difference

I remember there was something about the screen quality that I thought was a slight downgrade from the old model but it was very minimal and I got over it very fast. Either way OLED or bust now that that's an option

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Kickstand - This is minor, but I love the new stand. It holds up much better than the flimsy little thing on the Gen 1

This is huge for me, as I said I can play for longer, and I play a ton of tabletop. The new charger means I can set it up in all sort of surfaces without fear of it collapsing on itself. It's crazy this wasn't what they went with originally.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

DC Murderverse posted:

I remember hearing speculation once that the reason Nintendo doesn’t do soundtrack releases in the US is because of how music licensing works here vs. Japan. This article is a good breakdown of what people assume is going on with that, which means that it’s unlikely they’ll ever do releases. So the answer is either import (I have a CD copy of the BotW soundtrack from Japan, it’s pretty dope) or… well you know, peg leg and parrot up.

Fascinating, thank you for sharing! I would have guessed it had something to do with copyright law, but I had no idea it could all be tied back to the history of player pianos and remixes.

I’ve imported some of the soundtracks that I love most, but it’s a bummer they’re not domestically available on music services.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
What’s up y’all during my probation I had the good sense to cop an OLED switch. So far I have Odessy and BOTW. Havnt even open BOTW yet because I’m having fun with my friend Mario…….. this thing BURIES the failbox

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is there a compelling reason to finish Circle of the Moon? I’ve put 3 or 4 hours into it, just got the kick boots so I can wall jump now…. And I’m just not warming up to the slow pace of this game and double tap to run.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

Is there a compelling reason to finish Circle of the Moon? I’ve put 3 or 4 hours into it, just got the kick boots so I can wall jump now…. And I’m just not warming up to the slow pace of this game and double tap to run.

the final boss is Dracula and you get to kill him.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Is splaotoon worth a cop?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Wildtortilla posted:

If you're not feeling it by now, you should probably walk away. Sorry you don't like it, I recall enjoying it a lot

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nom epique posted:

Is splaotoon worth a cop?

Splatoon is mega fun. Watch a few videos on YouTube to see if it looks worthwhile for you but yes it is worth it.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

LuckyCat posted:

Splatoon is mega fun. Watch a few videos on YouTube to see if it looks worthwhile for you but yes it is worth it.

Do you have to buy separate multiplayer?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

nom epique posted:

Do you have to buy separate multiplayer?

You need the regular online service (not the premium one with the N64 games and stuff), at least to play the multiplayer. There is a single player campaign that probably works without it.

Game is real good! I'm bad at it but it was a goty contender for me last year. Runs smooth as butter, too.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Does the regular online service cost money

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

nom epique posted:

20 bux a year

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I play at least a few rounds of Splatoon a day and this the most fun I've ever had playing online shooters and I've been playing them since the beginning, getting Doom computers to phone each other directly on dial up.

Well, maybe UT99 and BF1942 were better but that's probably nostalgia talking.

Also the fact that you can only communicate with other players via squidding out in the lobby, doodles, and locker decorations means it's probably got the best vibe online atm.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

And importantly, it's $35 for a family plan which supports eight people added via email address to their existing email address that possibly already has a Nintendo account.

They advertise that you can be in different countries without a problem, because they know you're gonna share it

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Most importantly for the same amount of money you can download and play Hades forever

why so good

O plz let me stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

nom epique posted:

Fortnite is free and good on switch after the latest unreal engine update I've been playing with ps5 and pc players and we're winning games, join us