Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I've taken this thread's advice to heart about the reliability to the Prius, and have been keeping an eye out for them while reading up.

What's the general thought of other hybrids from the 08' to 15' era? Examples would be the Ford Escape Hybrid, the Ford C-Max hatchback, and various offerings from Honda.

I'm not sure if the Prius advice is meant only specifically of the Prius, or if it includes other hybrids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm the exact opposite I treat the car as a boat, get it to speed then use cruise control to maintain speed. My neighborhood is 25mph and I'm on cruise control before I get to the end of the block. Then at the end of the street it's a left turn and 35mph for two miles to the grocery store. Also on cruise control. I might as well be in a leather upholstered bus.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

I've taken this thread's advice to heart about the reliability to the Prius, and have been keeping an eye out for them while reading up.

I can't give you advice on the others, but do keep in mind that even though the Prius is very reliable there are some big ticket items that will more than likely need to be replaced at some point. Those are mainly the hybrid battery and brake actuator on the 2nd and 3rd gens. The 3rd gens can also have issues with the head gasket.

The hybrid battery can be dealt with somewhat relatively inexpensively at least and is really the only "guarantee" as far as something that will have to be replaced. If you have any mechanical ability they're pretty easy to work on overall. I wouldn't mess with the brake actuator myself though. The shops that do work on them say they suck to replace and they do them somewhat regularly.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I'm the exact opposite I treat the car as a boat, get it to speed then use cruise control to maintain speed. My neighborhood is 25mph and I'm on cruise control before I get to the end of the block. Then at the end of the street it's a left turn and 35mph for two miles to the grocery store. Also on cruise control. I might as well be in a leather upholstered bus.

I do this around town because otherwise I will speed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Captain Log posted:

What's the general thought of other hybrids from the 08' to 15' era? Examples would be the Ford Escape Hybrid, the Ford C-Max hatchback, and various offerings from Honda.

I'm not sure if the Prius advice is meant only specifically of the Prius, or if it includes other hybrids.

The Fords are licensed Toyota tech mainly and are by all accounts pretty reliable.

Honda did its own weird special snowflake thing at the time called IMA that was a mild hybrid system that sucked. They're not bad cars exactly just not with many advantages.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This car buying poo poo sucks. Only 5 dealers within 250 with the model/color car my wife wants. One dealer has a car arriving in 2 weeks. One dealer has a car on the lot right now. The other three have ones in transit that have already sold. When emailing, naturally the first two immediately pressured me to buy (which, makes sense considering how fast these are going).

How much, could I feasibly bring this price down? I'm guessing not by much since this car is in such demand.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Mordiceius posted:

This car buying poo poo sucks. Only 5 dealers within 250 with the model/color car my wife wants. One dealer has a car arriving in 2 weeks. One dealer has a car on the lot right now. The other three have ones in transit that have already sold. When emailing, naturally the first two immediately pressured me to buy (which, makes sense considering how fast these are going).

How much, could I feasibly bring this price down? I'm guessing not by much since this car is in such demand.

Not at all. You have specific demands on make/model/color, and they’re selling everything they get. You might be able to find a dealer who won’t charge you the $2k market adjustment but you’re going to wait six to eighteen months.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You have no negotiating power at all. Take it or leave it. I mean you can ask, but it’ll be a no

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/GuyDealership/status/1620412774051643394?s=20

Buying a new Toyota right now is putting yourself in literally the worst negotiating position possible

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

skipdogg posted:

You have no negotiating power at all.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

skipdogg posted:

You have no negotiating power at all. Take it or leave it. I mean you can ask, but it’ll be a no

in a well actually posted:

Not at all. You have specific demands on make/model/color, and they’re selling everything they get. You might be able to find a dealer who won’t charge you the $2k market adjustment but you’re going to wait six to eighteen months.

Honestly, it makes me happy to hear that. I don’t want to deal with negotiation bullshit. I’m not a negotiator. Being able to just say “yeah. This offer online - we’ll take it” is a loving win in my book.

Guinness posted:

Buying a new Toyota right now is putting yourself in literally the worst negotiating position possible

Yeah. The timing is what it is. We had to wait to commit to buying my wife a new car until her job was lined up and it just so happen to be right about now.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 1, 2023

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

skipdogg posted:

I know everyone said this already, but I went to the only Mazda dealership in a 100 mile radius that has the color/trim I want. I'm getting almost 1k off sticker because I'm going through Costco (which is great BTW, if you have a membership and the manufacturer uses Costco; Toyota doesn't around here).

I asked if they could go any lower and they had to bite their lip because they know they're the only place in town that has the drat thing in stock.

I was doing the paperwork and getting a cashier's check, but Chase decided to gently caress me by telling me I needed to use a debit card for it because all their NFC machines are disabled due to fraud. So now I get to take another day off tomorrow to drive out 75 miles (more like take an expensive as hell Uber trip, because nobody will be driving me there) and pray they don't sell it from under me. My head hurts so drat much just trying to buy a car and I can't wait for this to all be over.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That sucks. Just finance the the thing and pay it off in a month.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I froze my credit and hate having random pulls on it. They would have taken a personal check (which I had) but would have required them pulling my credit in case my funds were bad. We had to go back anyway as I drove out there on my own to try and secure the car to drive back another day. It is what it is, I just hope this is all over tomorrow. I'm really sick of researching cars and trim levels, just let me drive a drat car and take my depreciation hit already.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Mordiceius posted:

When I told my Toyota dealer that I didn't want the floors mats and didn't want to pay for them, they told me they came standard and they wouldn't charge me for them. I doubt they'll want to lose the sale over a measly $289, so they might oblige, but they also probably don't want to hold onto some mats that come standard with every car. So maybe you can get that cost dropped and get the mats for free.

I would compare prices (including Costco prices, or maybe just by thru Costco) and try to negotiate down the 2k dealer adjustment with that. Dealer adjustment is a bullshit pure-profit fee, and maybe you could negotiate that down some token amount.

If nothing else, try asking them to cover the document fee in order to make the sale. That could be an easy way to get them to cover a ~$100 fee.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

knox_harrington posted:

Ah I forgot about the 4x4 requirement. Looks like there are a few of the Skodas around anyway.

yeah I think I'm going to wait a little while and see if something else comes up locally but otherwise there's about half a dozen 4x4/manual/tdi skodas in the right kinda price range under 50k miles within reasonable driving distance

childhood me never thought I would be excited about getting a skoda, how the times do change

Edit-

Got a bit impulsive, chucked a deposit on a nice kodiaq with a bunch of electronic doodads and I'm test driving it on friday

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 1, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Hello friends. Hopefully this is the last question I have for you all. First, I want to say buying a car sucks. I hate this. I hate everything about this. I know nothing about banks and loans and money and financing and any of this poo poo and I hate everything.

Anyway, I've been in contact with the dealership about the car we're wanting to purchase. According to the person at the dealership I talked to, the dealership does not take outside financing at all. Is this normal? Basically, what they told us is that the only option is to sign with Toyota financing and then have our bank refinance the car and take over the loan.

Is this normal? Is this going to gently caress me over?

The part that concerned me is was this:

My bank approved me at 4.9% and so I don't understand how any of this works. I see that finance charge number and completely panic.

If I sign this and then have my bank take over, is my bank taking over the $32.2 or the $39.1?

Have I mentioned that I loving hate all of this?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It's not normal, most dealers worth with dozens of lenders but in today's market they can say they won't take outside financing and I don't think there's much you can do about it.

Between this, the markup, and everything else I'd be inclined to shop at a different dealer. Needing a car is not a great position to be in these days though, especially a popular one.

To answer your question, your bank will take over the 32.2. The 39.1 is the total amount of money you'll pay over the life of the Toyota Financial loan.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Mordiceius posted:

Hello friends. Hopefully this is the last question I have for you all. First, I want to say buying a car sucks. I hate this. I hate everything about this. I know nothing about banks and loans and money and financing and any of this poo poo and I hate everything.

Anyway, I've been in contact with the dealership about the car we're wanting to purchase. According to the person at the dealership I talked to, the dealership does not take outside financing at all. Is this normal? Basically, what they told us is that the only option is to sign with Toyota financing and then have our bank refinance the car and take over the loan.

My bank approved me at 4.9% and so I don't understand how any of this works. I see that finance charge number and completely panic.

If I sign this and then have my bank take over, is my bank taking over the $32.2 or the $39.1?

Call your bank and talk to your friendly local loan officer. They'd probably be interested in earning your business, so hopefully they'll make it easy for you. They'll probably be taking over the $32k. I think the extra $6.8k is just a warning showing you how much the interest will cost you over the life of the loan. You would only pay $32k total if you paid the loan off right away.

Maybe complain about the 169 miles and haggle down the price a touch, if you're feeling feisty. Ask for $169 off. :v: 169 seems like a lot for a "new" vehicle IMO.

But yeah, rejecting outside financing is kind of a poo poo move on their part.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The traditional response is to walk out and say you'll keep them in mind and wait for them to call you in a couple days when their accountant helpfully remembers how to file with the bank you were hoping to use. But you're buying a Toyota in hellmarket so walking isn't exactly powerful at the moment.

Check and double check your bank will give you the same terms for refinance. These are banner times for lenders right now where they are both cash flush and getting good rates so they will probably be fine and help you along the way.

Depending on the original finance terms and the speed of paperwork it's possible to end up with $32.2 plus some amount of interest on the new financing or else owe an interest payment into escrow if you're deadset on keeping the original amount financed the same.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Mordiceius posted:

The finance charge is the amount the interest is costing you.

Bad dealers will totally double dip- not only are they getting the markup they're also marking up the interest rate and getting a kickback. If they tell you that you have to wait 6 months or whatever to refinance, you don't, you can refinance as soon as you get your first bill in the mail from the dealer's bank. The 6 months is so they can get their kickback. If you refinance before then, they won't get anything.

Also side note: you could have avoided all of this by going through a broker, which is what I recommended earlier in the thread.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
just use a broker and the captive financing then re-fi with your credit union with more money down after a few months.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

skipdogg posted:

It's not normal, most dealers worth with dozens of lenders but in today's market they can say they won't take outside financing and I don't think there's much you can do about it.

Between this, the markup, and everything else I'd be inclined to shop at a different dealer. Needing a car is not a great position to be in these days though, especially a popular one.

To answer your question, your bank will take over the 32.2. The 39.1 is the total amount of money you'll pay over the life of the Toyota Financial loan.

literally this big posted:

Call your bank and talk to your friendly local loan officer. They'd probably be interested in earning your business, so hopefully they'll make it easy for you. They'll probably be taking over the $32k. I think the extra $6.8k is just a warning showing you how much the interest will cost you over the life of the loan. You would only pay $32k total if you paid the loan off right away.

Maybe complain about the 169 miles and haggle down the price a touch, if you're feeling feisty. Ask for $169 off. :v: 169 seems like a lot for a "new" vehicle IMO.

But yeah, rejecting outside financing is kind of a poo poo move on their part.

Thanks for the answers. According to the dealership (and yes, I know dealerships lie all the loving time), that's just becoming a standard in the area.

Our backs are kinda against the wall with this because my wife wants the black corolla hybrid and there are only two options in southern California - one of which is currently in transit.

This is the cost breakdown -

Honestly, I don't mind too much if I have to jump through one extra hoop on getting this done. I just wanted to make sure I'm not getting tricked into something that tremendously fucks me over.

zedprime posted:

Check and double check your bank will give you the same terms for refinance. These are banner times for lenders right now where they are both cash flush and getting good rates so they will probably be fine and help you along the way.

Yeah, I called my bank (USAA) and they said the refinance would just be the same as the loan, just basically named differently.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mordiceius posted:

Thanks for the answers. According to the dealership (and yes, I know dealerships lie all the loving time), that's just becoming a standard in the area.

Our backs are kinda against the wall with this because my wife wants the black corolla hybrid and there are only two options in southern California - one of which is currently in transit.

This is the cost breakdown -

Honestly, I don't mind too much if I have to jump through one extra hoop on getting this done. I just wanted to make sure I'm not getting tricked into something that tremendously fucks me over.

Yeah, I called my bank (USAA) and they said the refinance would just be the same as the loan, just basically named differently.

Deal looks solid. Did you get them to drop the 2K market adjustment or did you find a different dealer? That deal sheet is MSRP plus taxes and normal fees. I would sign that deal as soon as you can before you go from 2 cars in your area to 0.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 2, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
What a world we live in where a captive finance company is offering 6.49. :wtc:

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
poo poo that's a lot of money for a Corolla my man. If it were me I'd try to convince wifey the amount of extra money you're spending is not worth whatever gas savings.

I know Kia gets some poo poo, but I've had a K5 rental this past week and its been pretty fun to drive and my wife really likes it. For the price of that Corolla, you could get a Kia Sportage SUV which has a 10 year warranty.

If you're dead set on it, and don't have any other choice..well that's all then. Do the financing with the dealer and try to re-finance with a credit union or something later.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, MSRP on a car that's hard to get is a win IMO, so I'd buy that if you're set on that color/trim.

Bank fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 2, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Deal looks solid. Did you get them to drop the 2K market adjustment or did you find a different dealer? That deal sheet is MSRP plus taxes and normal fees. I would sign that deal as soon as you can before you go from 2 cars in your area to 0.

This actually makes me feel really good to hear.

I didn't even mention the market adjustment. This is just what they offered me.

There are 5 Black Toyota Corolla Hybrids XLEs with 250 miles of Los Angeles. 2 are in build phase. 2 are in transit. 1 is on the lot (this one). The build phase cars aren't options because who knows how long those will take. For the two in transit, one is already spoken for. So that left the option of this one on the lot and the other one in transit. The one in transit actually had a higher dealer adjustment as well as worse (more expensive) accessories that we wouldn't want.

When I approached this dealership and told them that this is the car I wanted, this was just the straight offer they gave.

Bank posted:

I know Kia gets some poo poo, but I've had a K5 rental this past week and its been pretty fun to drive and my wife really likes it. For the price of that Corolla, you could get a Kia Sportage SUV which has a 10 year warranty.

In the end, we don't want an SUV. This is a car for a psychologist to commute to work in a city.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What a world we live in where a captive finance company is offering 6.49. :wtc:

I guarantee the buy rate from TFS is 4.9 or lower and they're marking the interest rate up 1.5% or 2%. It's about 1800 bucks difference between 4.9 and 6.49.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

In the end, we don't want an SUV. This is a car for a psychologist to commute to work in a city.
Makes sense, buy what makes you guys happy. I edited my post, but MSRP in this market is a win. I'd go sign that thing now and figure out the financing thing later. You should be able to get it done pretty easily.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I haven't followed all the twists and turns of your story but I feel like you're gearing emotionally invested in this corolla and that's never a good thing when shopping.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
What is the best way to buy a car with cash? I am looking at some cars at dealerships an hour away from where I live, in a city where my credit union does not have a branch. I would like to negotiate the price and have a trade-in, so I can't just get a cashier's check for a fixed amount. Are most dealerships set up to do wire transfers, or will they do something like issue a $5,000 check if I negotiate a price of $25,000 and present a $30,000 cashier's check?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I've never considered it before but reading through the leasehakr forums has convinced me to use a broker for my car purchase. :toot:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I tried a broker this last time around and it was a huge waste of time. I'm not sure if that's due to the market in general or what, but they were not interested in doing the work. I wasn't spending pennies, either.

I know people recommend it and have had success, just sharing my experience.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Costco has been great too, I have a car coming to me from them.

Konstantin posted:

What is the best way to buy a car with cash? I am looking at some cars at dealerships an hour away from where I live, in a city where my credit union does not have a branch. I would like to negotiate the price and have a trade-in, so I can't just get a cashier's check for a fixed amount. Are most dealerships set up to do wire transfers, or will they do something like issue a $5,000 check if I negotiate a price of $25,000 and present a $30,000 cashier's check?

Most don't take wires unfortunately.

Three things:

1) Make sure the CU can do a cashier's check. Last time I got a check it was a "guaranteed check" and some places it wasn't considered the same thing as a cashier's check. Could be worth calling the dealerships and just asking. I wouldn't give them any info, just tell them you need to get a check to pay for a car and ask real quick.

2) you usually have to specify the payee on the check, so it might be good to find out who to make the check out to.

3) if you have a general idea of how much the OTD price is, get a check for 2-3k less and pay the balance with a CC. Most places will let you do that. Or just bring a debit card.

Good luck! 🤞

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

skipdogg posted:

I guarantee the buy rate from TFS is 4.9 or lower and they're marking the interest rate up 1.5% or 2%. It's about 1800 bucks difference between 4.9 and 6.49.

Yup, Toyota is advertising 4.99% for the Corolla Hybrid on a 48 month note right now.

I think I'm more or less committing to plan B in the search for a car for our 16 year old. He'll get the Prius and I'll buy something slightly better. Pretty sure I'm going to go with a Golf TDI or Jetta SportWagen TDI. I used to have one and I want another even though it's going to cost more to operate than the Prius. I'll also settle for the right Jetta TDI. Prices on them are pretty decent right now due to the cost of diesel but it's not the biggest factor for me. And if it gets too high again I'll take the Prius back and make him drive the TDI.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Another bullshit warning to other people buying cheaper cars.

I found a Chevy Spark I’ve been watching, and the seller dropped it from $6k to $4.5k. This really perked my interest, so I got ready to go see the car.

I use Chime as my bank. As it turns out, this is a problem.

There is literally no way for me to walk into a bank and get the cash. None. I’ve been talking to Chime all day, and they are trying to convince me to get the third parties banking information and send them my money like they’re a company. But uh oh, they have a $2.5k limit on daily transactions! But they keep telling me I can take $515 out of an ATM once a day until I have my cash, or use cash back at stores.

Their latest bullshit is telling me to get a Venmo account, then link it to my Chime account, then Venmo money to the seller.

Yes, I’ve already got an appointment to open an account with a real bank. But there is no way that car will still be around by then.

Not a big deal, I don’t NEED the Spark and I’ve not even seen it yet. But God drat, I’m glad I checked on this beforehand.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I found a Chevy Spark I’ve been watching, and the seller dropped it from $6k to $4.5k. This really perked my interest, so I got ready to go see the car.

There is literally no way for me to walk into a bank and get the cash. None. I’ve been talking to Chime all day, and they are trying to convince me to get the third parties banking information and send them my money like they’re a company. But uh oh, they have a $2.5k limit on daily transactions! But they keep telling me I can take $515 out of an ATM once a day until I have my cash, or use cash back at stores.

Their latest bullshit is telling me to get a Venmo account, then link it to my Chime account, then Venmo money to the seller.

Yes, I’ve already got an appointment to open an account with a real bank. But there is no way that car will still be around by then.

Not a big deal, I don’t NEED the Spark and I’ve not even seen it yet. But God drat, I’m glad I checked on this beforehand.

Please use a credit union. They're really nice and friendly and probably local.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If you get a loan from your bank, you're basically just writing a check to the dealer. Same as cash to them I would think? Last time I took out an auto loan from my CU they gave me a blank check and guaranteed they'd honor it up to whatever pre-approval amount and whatever the final check amount ended up being was the loan principal.

This dealership sounds like a big old scam operation if they're marking up TFS financing and telling you that you must finance through them. If that sort of tatctic is working for them the market is truly hosed holy poo poo.

If you absolutely must go through with their poo poo financing, make sure there's no pre-payment penalties and just immediately re-fi with your bank.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Captain Log posted:

Getting cash to or from online banks can be challenging and is a significant disadvantage.

I use BofA for checking for this reason, ATMs and branches galore if I ever need them. Marcus for savings which is online only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Car buying-adjacent question: I'm coming to the end of my car note and thinking about paying the whole thing off this month and the process seems...rickety? They apparently just want me to mail a check for the amount in the payoff quote to an address. It doesn't seem to say there's a form to fill out or even something to write on the check. Is that really how it usually goes? Any tips to make blindly mailing a $3500 check to some address in Texas less risky?

This is with Hyundai Motor Finance if that matters.