Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Nigmaetcetera posted:

yeah sure death penalty for eating seafood, whatever

But ... what if government and vlogger BOTH wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

thepopmonster posted:

But ... what if government and vlogger BOTH wrong?

Death penalty for not eating seafood, clearly.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Cocaine Bear posted:

Up there with asmr as poo poo I just do not understand on any level. But seems like people enjoy it and it seems mostly harmless so... Who cares?

That's what everyone confidently said about Milkshake Duck

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cocaine Bear posted:

Up there with asmr as poo poo I just do not understand on any level. But seems like people enjoy it and it seems mostly harmless so... Who cares?
Eh gently caress it I'll take the bait, no pun intended:

Fetishistic ritualized overeating + eating difficult-to-procure meats from the ocean which are already considered fairly precious and at serious risk of no longer being viable food sources?

Yeah the ethics of presenting that do matter.

Our societal system doesn't give a gently caress, but our societal system is just one part of the actual larger universe we live in so yeah the ethics do still matter and always will.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Howl cardigan in wool and feather

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

thepopmonster posted:

Number of sharks killed for product (shark fin, meat, oil) or by destructive fishing practices worldwide per year: >100 million

You can try to do something about it through https://www.sharktrust.org.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4YqZGajJjM

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

mind the walrus posted:

Eh gently caress it I'll take the bait, no pun intended:

Fetishistic ritualized overeating + eating difficult-to-procure meats from the ocean which are already considered fairly precious and at serious risk of no longer being viable food sources?

Yeah the ethics of presenting that do matter.

Our societal system doesn't give a gently caress, but our societal system is just one part of the actual larger universe we live in so yeah the ethics do still matter and always will.

Sorry, I may be misinformed. I thought muk bang was eating and talking on camera with a subset of people going way overboard. I've changed my position and both are immoral.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cocaine Bear posted:

Sorry, I may be misinformed. I thought muk bang was eating and talking on camera with a subset of people going way overboard. I've changed my position and both are immoral.

I thought muk bang was when you gently caress a Pokémon.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

McGavin posted:

I thought muk bang was when you gently caress a Pokémon.

In that case, I would like to revise my position again...

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Cocaine Bear posted:

Lol if you went no thats a fine and good answer.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Cocaine Bear posted:

Mukbang is a spectacle of excess. It's not enough to just be eating food like a normal human while having a chat. The overboard is what makes it a mukbang, and to keep bringing in the audience/money, you need to keep bringing something new to the (literal) table, so things must keep escalating.

This isn't a subset. It's the peak of the mountain.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Cocaine Bear posted:

I’m doing lines off my boner with my boner and typing with my boner and eating whale sashimi with my boner. Sorry if that’s too “decadent” for you as I feast upon my suckling, spit-roasted vaquita kabobs using, you guessed it, my weird, small boner.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cocaine Bear posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeo1Q1FUc0Q

Yeah this guy is the poster child but it's pretty much all like this to varying degrees of hosed.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I don't understand ASMR but I'll watch hours of videos of hand tool restorations, so maybe I do understand ASMR.

Although I don't crank it to the hand tool restoration videos, so that might be the distinction.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

loving hell. Well, I learned something today: The internet was a mistake.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Cocaine Bear posted:

Weird, small boner.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah this guy is the poster child but it's pretty much all like this to varying degrees of hosed.

This is very concerning and I feel like I need to report this to someone who can help but I don't know who

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mind the walrus posted:

Ugh, that guy is how I learned about mukbangs and he just makes me depressed.

Another small related curse is that food youtube has learned/decided that including "mukbang" in the title is the secret to viewer engagement, so some of them just slap it on anything related to eating. Now it can apply equally to someone taking a few bites as they review a small cheeseburger as to a person turning themself into a whale over as they continuously eat entire restaurant menus for the camera!

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
one of the videos on the previous page seemed to be a woman eating octopuses that are still alive and moving? so that also isn't great, i think.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cocaine Bear posted:

Yeah so take everything wrong with that, now involve endangered sea life, or hell any sea life considering how much overfishing goes on. The culture is what it chooses to normalize.

Sorry to belabor the point, not personal to you, just have to connect that full circle so people understand it goes a little beyond "ew."

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Beard Meets Food is the only youtube food eating person worth watching

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Weird, small boner.

turn on your monitor

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
https://twitter.com/emollick/status/1620152940660146177?s=46&t=X1e2ANqvvO3ZCQ8AB32DhQ

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AceClown posted:

What about savoring the flavours and aromas of the 18th century?

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Turpitude II posted:

one of the videos on the previous page seemed to be a woman eating octopuses that are still alive and moving? so that also isn't great, i think.

I'm no way defending said lady, but I think that's usually a result of salt from cooking causing the nervous system to go crazy after they're dead.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

steinrokkan posted:

What about savoring the flavours and aromas of the 18th century?

I think there's an important distinction that some channels are not explicitly or solely about eating food, but still feature it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lol

Justice is blind!

(Also when they're hungry)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

rarbatrol posted:

I think there's an important distinction that some channels are not explicitly or solely about eating food, but still feature it.

yeah I'm not talking about any youtube show that features food, I mean explicitly extreme food eating challenges

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

AceClown posted:

Did you mean to say Shoenice

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:lol:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Weird, small boner.

Montague Tigg posted:

turn on your monitor

:lmao:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Stoatbringer posted:

But so smooth!

All the lady wanted to do was see if the shark would go down as smooth

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh good, the Journal of Kojima Subplots is thriving!

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

thepopmonster posted:

Number of reported shark attacks worldwide per year: <150 on average
Number of reported deaths due to shark attack worldwide per year: <12 on average
Number of reported deaths due to coconuts worldwide per year: ~160 on average
Number of sharks killed for product (shark fin, meat, oil) or by destructive fishing practices worldwide per year: >100 million

gently caress eating sharks, if you want to eat something dangerous eat a coconut.

Okay, so, last page, but now I'm just kind of curious.

When they say sharks killed, what does that include? I used to catch spiny dogfish (as far as I know) considered a shark. We would fish them as far north as Bar Harbor Maine down to Maryland. I'm sure they were fished more than that elsewhere. I don't feel like you can compare fishing the schools of those little two and a half foot assholes as a fish for fish with something like great whites.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Ironhead posted:

Okay, so, last page, but now I'm just kind of curious.

When they say sharks killed, what does that include? I used to catch spiny dogfish (as far as I know) considered a shark. We would fish them as far north as Bar Harbor Maine down to Maryland. I'm sure they were fished more than that elsewhere. I don't feel like you can compare fishing the schools of those little two and a half foot assholes as a fish for fish with something like great whites.
Fair point, smaller animals shouldn't count.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

When 40k becomes real

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Scratch Monkey posted:

When 40k Hellstrom's Hive becomes real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oh good, the Journal of Kojima Subplots is thriving!

That was the main plot.