Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Hellioning posted:

I really don't think everyone calling you professor felt normal when it included your colleagues.

I would have liked it more if all the knights all called the other two professors that, too.

But I think that the two of them should have still been on a first name basis with one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Also, if you want a challenge, you can leave the Edelgard bracelet on Alear for most of the game and then try to do skirmishes that are ten levels higher than every character except one.

And I am still the same level or over-leveled to the plot with the entire cast, even though I have ran screaming from every skirmish for at least three chapters.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Hellioning posted:

I really don't think everyone calling you professor felt normal when it included your colleagues.
i like to imagine that manuela/hanneman were initially like "Nice to meet you, Professor....?" because no one had actually told them byleth's name. But byleth is too much of a half-feral weirdo to understand that as the social cue to introduce themselves as Professor Byleth, so they just roll with it.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Blaziken386 posted:

i like to imagine that manuela/hanneman were initially like "Nice to meet you, Professor....?" because no one had actually told them byleth's name. But byleth is too much of a half-feral weirdo to understand that as the social cue to introduce themselves as Professor Byleth, so they just roll with it.

The main difference between being raised by Jeralt and being raised by wolves is Jeralt will teach you to use a sword.
Of course the wolves may be an improvement for your social skills, being pack animals.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hellioning posted:

Lol at the scenes before chapter 21. I was defending this game's story before this but that was bad.

it was really good imo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Before chapter 20 or so, the story's kind of silly and mostly lightweight but fun enough. From chapter 20 onward I think it gets so dumb that it becomes entertainingly dumb. The amount of random magic nonsense that saves your rear end chapter after chapter becomes so much that I can't not laugh at it.

However I maintain that chapter 22 would have been several times more rad if Corrupted Alear went full red instead of staying red and blue, just for that one chapter. I know the story established why, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have been cooler :colbert:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Veryslightlymad posted:

I would have liked it more if all the knights all called the other two professors that, too.

But I think that the two of them should have still been on a first name basis with one another.

It was very funny when the Flame Emperor called you Professor as well.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
like the chapter 21-22 stuff feels like the perfect culmination of what the story is trying to be; it could not have gone any other way without betraying itself. I'm legitimately confused how you could like the story up to that point then think that that was a step too far.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

like the chapter 21-22 stuff feels like the perfect culmination of what the story is trying to be; it could not have gone any other way without betraying itself. I'm legitimately confused how you could like the story up to that point then think that that was a step too far.

Honestly I think it's just the pacing. It's three chapters in a row of earth-shattering revelations that don't ultimately have much lasting narrative effect on Alear and friends. Like I think if they'd revealed that Alear is Sombron's child sooner and had a couple chapters of "how will we defeat him now, without Divine Dragon power? I don't know, but we have to try!" before the revelation that Alear has enough of Lumera's power that they can still seal away Sombron would've made that reveal feel like it had a bit more weight without making the tone any darker.

The parts of those chapters I do really like are everything with Alear and Veyle realizing that they're siblings though. I thought that part was done well.

I think what I'm wanting from those chapters is a stronger feeling that the heroes are down and things are going poorly but that their resolve and belief in each other mean they won't give up--y'know, standard adventure story stuff but it's fun. Instead it feels like all of the problems that get brought up get resolved within a scene or two without having any room to breathe, and it makes it feel a little comical to me rather than dramatic.

To be clear I never said I stopped liking it, I just think that part got a little sillier than it had to, mostly because of the rapid pace.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm just talking about someone revealing their tragic backstory, them dying immediately, and the game expecting me to care. I haven't finished either chapter yet.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Harrow posted:

Before chapter 20 or so, the story's kind of silly and mostly lightweight but fun enough. From chapter 20 onward I think it gets so dumb that it becomes entertainingly dumb. The amount of random magic nonsense that saves your rear end chapter after chapter becomes so much that I can't not laugh at it.

However I maintain that chapter 22 would have been several times more rad if Corrupted Alear went full red instead of staying red and blue, just for that one chapter. I know the story established why, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have been cooler :colbert:
I know that there are story and character reasons for why we cant use All-Red Alear, but the game should've taken that into account before making her evil form hot. i cant help it im contractually obligated to love evil looking women. i dont care if its non canon let us have evil alear color palette outfit!!

of course (final chapter) given the fact that sombron claimed he would forget Alear's face after killing her, the fact that it was purposefully hidden from the player, and the invocation he used - "Burn us, Emblem of Foundations" - there is a GOOD CHANCE that the DLC will include the Zero Emblem, and it will be an alternate timeline version of Alear where everything truly and utterly went to poo poo, and that's when we'll get All-Red Alear.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Reik posted:

Maxing out a nation to level 5 gives you a special S-Rank weapon you can't obtain otherwise, comparable to the ones you get from later chapters. The only weird one is Elusia which gives you a 1-time use S-Rank staff.

I have enough money problems as is. While these sound cool, I can’t imagine being able to commit to giving away that much money.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
All-Red Alear is 100% becoming playable in Heroes in like a year or two. Too bad it's Heroes.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
I'm about to begin Chapter 20 and clearing out the paralogues as they show up to try and get a good pace of paralogue to story chapter and wow, Roy's Paralogue. it's very funny because the chapter right before I'm like "Hey, why does Marni only have one revive crystal to Mauvier's two?" it is because Hold Out++ lets her soak two more unit's worth of hits. Then they throw Roy at you with both 2 revive crystals and Hold Out +++.

Every single one of the paralogues have had a different rear end in a top hat move which I greatly appreciate.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

Every single one of the paralogues have had a different rear end in a top hat move which I greatly appreciate.

It feels like almost every Emblem paralogue has at least one moment that makes me laugh out loud because something wild or incredibly mean happens and I love it. If a game does something mean and it makes me laugh instead of get mad, that's how I know it's a fun game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Endorph posted:

tbf that professor thing is another thing that works better in japanese, where calling your romantic partner or even your spouse by a title isnt that uncommon

in conclusion i wish FE games got better TLs

It's more the fact that it's referencing you're THEIR professor, that makes it weird to me. It's just uncomfortable framing (which is kinda helped by the fact that you seem like more of a peer mentor who stumbles in one day and just starts doing lectures on how to swordfight and ride horses)

Veryslightlymad posted:

It was about as good as we could hope for with it, too. Everyone calling them professor feels fairly normal, almost like an endearing nickname. "Divine dragon" or "the Divine Dragon" just doesn't have any flow. And also, the voice line is read in a way that's different than the script reads, since they'll end their sentence on dragon, but it reads like the sentence continues, so the performance gives every sentence it comes up the incorrect tone, and that irritates me.

Yeah I'm glad you said this because I keep hearing it but I'm never sure if it's my brain filling in the gap because the text tells me to anticipate the next word "Alear".

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Like 9 of the 12 paralogues show a really deep love and understanding of the game that emblem is from. Just stellar work, three quarters of the time

The other three are still fine maps but don't feel like they have the same love in them

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I've only done the Lucina emblem paralogue, but I have a feeling most are going to be a lot harder. I glanced at Lyn's and may or may not try it. I can't pull one enemy at a time, for starters.

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah I'm glad you said this because I keep hearing it but I'm never sure if it's my brain filling in the gap because the text tells me to anticipate the next word "Alear".

It makes every sentence where he says "I'm the Divine Dragon, Alear" just a bit more aggressive. Alear is otherwise so soft spoken, so having a declaritive "I'm the Divine Dragon " just makes the line do funk things. I hate it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Michael Bluth: Wait a second, those aren’t soldiers from our castle!

Gob: They’re Elusians, Michael!

I’ve had that joke stuck in my head and now I can’t unhear it when it hear them say Elusians

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

So, uh, quick question about chapter 21.

Are the reinforcements...finite?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hellioning posted:

So, uh, quick question about chapter 21.

Are the reinforcements...finite?

Yes.

Veryslightlymad posted:

I've only done the Lucina emblem paralogue, but I have a feeling most are going to be a lot harder. I glanced at Lyn's and may or may not try it. I can't pull one enemy at a time, for starters.

If all else fails and it gets frustrating, paralogues don't scale to your level so you can just come back when you're strong enough that it doesn't pose much of a challenge anymore.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Maddening run up to Ch11 now, I've completely decimated Chapter 10 by Micaiah re-warping into Hortensias and Hyacinths faces with 4 melee units. Don't underestimate Re-warp everyone.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

There’s no underestimating rewarp, only having limited rewarp uses

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

FrickenMoron posted:

Maddening run up to Ch11 now, I've completely decimated Chapter 10 by Micaiah re-warping into Hortensias and Hyacinths faces with 4 melee units. Don't underestimate Re-warp everyone.

gently caress I forgot about Micaiah with that, only saw 5 warp

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It took me too long to catch onto how strong Framme + Eirika is as a pairing. Letting Framme deal bonus damage equal to a portion of the target's Def on every single punch adds up a lot.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Okay. Well, it was easier to ignore them anyway. The boss is remarkably squishy, even for being on a giant avoid tile.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Outracing reinforcements is the way

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

There was a little discussion about how bad Berserker is vs. Warrior. Is it a good call to second seal Panette ASAP? Get her to 5 first then second seal? I know no wrong answer here but I want to finally have a dedicated axe in my lineup :black101:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Syrnn posted:

There was a little discussion about how bad Berserker is vs. Warrior. Is it a good call to second seal Panette ASAP? Get her to 5 first then second seal? I know no wrong answer here but I want to finally have a dedicated axe in my lineup :black101:

Skills don't transfer to other classes; if you're going to second seal someone there's no reason to wait til 5.

Anyway keep her in berserker so you can get her cool dress.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Berserker is good on panette. The only stat she needs is str, and berserker has the best

Just stick a Lyn refine on a +3 killer axe and give her Ike for wrath

She'll be fine in any class but if anyone wan5s berserker it's panette

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Berserker is good on Panette but honestly that's just because Panette herself is really good. Everything she can do in Berserker, she can do just as well in Warrior, while also having bow access and a much better class skill.

The only downside--and it's a meaningful one, to be fair--is that you lose her unique outfit and her Warrior outfit kinda sucks

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I gave her Lyn because her monstrous strength means Dvine Astra can actually one-shot non mages.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Endorph posted:

tbf that professor thing is another thing that works better in japanese, where calling your romantic partner or even your spouse by a title isnt that uncommon

in conclusion i wish FE games got better TLs

Every dang mobile RPG out there has "...oh and you'd better keep who you are a secret" so they can call you Doctor or whatever without a name. Really confusing when they say that and then the story jumps forward and everybody knows exactly what's going on.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm trying to decide what skills to inherit on (late game recruit) my new buddy Veyle. I'm considering Draconic Hex since she has plenty of SP, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Draconic Hex is much better in this than in Fates thanks to bosses surviving much longer, but at the same time, someone's always going to be wearing the Corrin ring and it doesn't seem like there's a ton of call for multiple Draconic Hexers.

I could just inherit Canter+ and be done with it but that seems kind of boring.

Any fun ideas?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The main argument against berserker is that it is defensively horrible and has garbage caps absolutely everywhere but strength and HP; how much this matters depends heavily on the difficulty you're playing on and how aggressively you like to play.

Panette does well in almost any physical class. IMO the top candidates are wyvern or wolf knight because both help address her shaky speed to some extent and also give her a ton of mobility for critting priority targets to death, though she's a fine warrior or hero as well.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
RIP Citrinne, you were too slow and squishy to stay alive on Chapter 11. And I couldn't rewind for her, so I'll take that L.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

RIP Citrinne, you were too slow and squishy to stay alive on Chapter 11. And I couldn't rewind for her, so I'll take that L.

monstrous

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Every dang mobile RPG out there has "...oh and you'd better keep who you are a secret" so they can call you Doctor or whatever without a name. Really confusing when they say that and then the story jumps forward and everybody knows exactly what's going on.

This guy played arknights

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

jimmydalad posted:

I have enough money problems as is. While these sound cool, I can’t imagine being able to commit to giving away that much money.

Yea even when you get given those huge bonus donations from the nations I just haven't got the money to get nations beyond like...level 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Who's everyone dedicated axe user on maddening? I'm having a hard time seeing anyone fill that role really.