Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Synth feels like the biggest progression boost. Jumping tiers is an instant doubling and maxing a tier is 10x the previous. Then you're earning all the synth points for the upgrades that compound all your other sources of progression like research and compute speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Synth feels like the biggest progression boost. Jumping tiers is an instant doubling and maxing a tier is 10x the previous. Then you're earning all the synth points for the upgrades that compound all your other sources of progression like research and compute speed.

I think the trick is balancing research and synth. You don't want to neglect either. If you are running neither you should be pushing to try and get to a new zone to reset and if you fail put the grind back on.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Imo you pretty much always run Synth, Research you can kinda eyeball. You can hover over a research topic to see how long it'll take, and if it's too long I'd focus more on Synth or Pushing.

Warps important too, but as of right now I don't really have a way to speed it up, so I'm just slamming back cores as they fill.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arzaac posted:

Warps important too, but as of right now I don't really have a way to speed it up, so I'm just slamming back cores as they fill.
The only ways to speed it up that I see are spending warp points on upgrades to do so and getting achievements for warping X times, it seems to only be self-feeding? Maybe there's something after Unbound Research or the second base at 26 does something (or 27's Utility Core: Advanced Reactor?) but there's nothing else that is visible atm

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Well I imagine we might get a warp shard at some point, or maybe another module.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
yeah Flex Shard IV has a Warp Core Charge Speed boost. Seems small, and that's not actually the time-limiting factor for my play, but it's there.

MattDarling
Apr 25, 2017
I'm a couple of days into Magic Research, a $5 Android incremental, with iOS and Steam likely forthcoming in the future.

Really liking it so far! It's very new and getting patched every few days, so the common complaints in the Reddit thread have been addressed. And I'd rate it as much more stable than the first week of Arcanum/Theory of Magic.

So far I've cleared the first two dungeons, and my skill levels are around ~20-25. Any time I've felt stuck it's been solved by experimenting with higher skill levels, new spells, or different gear.

I do find that it needs a lot of screen-on time. The offline progress is a speed up when you come back online, which means keeping the phone awake for a while to churn through it. And a few of the permanent quests (aka "storylines") can take 15-20min grinding monster drops. So, it'll be nice to have it on Steam some day, or maybe I'll transfer my save to an Android emulator.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I found this one while bored at work today, a short little game that could be beaten in a couple hours

https://oli.show/tea/

supposedly it's going to have more content at the end of march

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Something fucky is going on with snapshotting in idle ship game

I'm fairly sure it snapshots short duration buffs like laser/shield boost and the void buff

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
So I just unlocked the Kinetic Cannon, should I just run it 3x for my next run or are there lasers I should combo it with?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Cinara posted:

So I just unlocked the Kinetic Cannon, should I just run it 3x for my next run or are there lasers I should combo it with?

Beam remains useful because it's high dps, stops shield regen, and the laser active also buffs kinetic fire rate. I did 2x Kinetic 1x Beam in the run up to heavy cruiser.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I used beam until I was pushing zone 22+ when I found it worthless vs the armor and just ran 3 kinetic. It vastly under performs the kinetics at that stage.

Then you just have to say 'can I get to the armor enemies without a beam to combat shield regen', which eventually isn't a problem but might be tough when you first get kinetic? Unsure.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

FWIW there is also a shielded area at 25B, where you'll probably wanna run beam again.

Though by that point you should probably have 2.0 laser weapons.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

You'd also have the heavy cruiser by that point too and run 4 weapons.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ah piss i think space idle fixed the "huge quantities of void matter for free by switching tabs at the right time" bug

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
the v0.20.7 changelog just says "performance improvements" and "a few minor bug fixes" so I bet it did :(

edit: lol thought I'd dip my toe into 22B on the way up this run to see how bad the "elite enemies" were and I went from oneshotting the trash to having the trash oneshot me

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 2, 2023

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Afking with the purple thing active keeps boosted synth speed on the whole time too. Cruise along at the hardest level, grab a purple, throw your synth shard into red slot and tab out for a few hours. Puts my synth speed at 21 instead of 5.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Afking with the purple thing active keeps boosted synth speed on the whole time too. Cruise along at the hardest level, grab a purple, throw your synth shard into red slot and tab out for a few hours. Puts my synth speed at 21 instead of 5.
Did they not just fix this? It seems like they fixed the afking keeping void energy gain ridiculously high so I figured this would be fixed as well.

(my synth speed could absolutely use it, there's just this giant stretch on tier 3 components level 50-60 to go from "last skill points bonus" to "infinite")

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
just discovered the "Base Production+" research

its so funny to me that the tree is full of middling 1.2x-1.5x bonuses, and then there's just the eye-watering 3x bonus hiding as a smaller block

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I'm stuck on the sector 20 boss. Even with the void boost and offense and defense modules at Tier 3 6/10, I can barely even scratch it. I just want kinetic cannons :( What's the play to get past this?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I'm stuck on the sector 20 boss. Even with the void boost and offense and defense modules at Tier 3 6/10, I can barely even scratch it. I just want kinetic cannons :( What's the play to get past this?

from memory, I think the way I got past it was... well, more grinding. More compute power, more synth'd resources, more module levels.If the boss is your big hurdle, make sure your V. Device shards are arranged to maximize your combat stats, even if that requires a detour from your usual routes like boosting salvage or whatever; similarly, don't be afraid to spend some time with the Void Power Max module active so you can bank enough VP to get a few more levels to the Damage and Shield reactor settings. Then you can reshuffle your power around, turning off everything but damage and shields and cranking those to the max. You don't even have to care if you're spending more VP than you get; you just have to last long enough to get past that boss, after all.

if you still can't make it, try using your Research Shard and pumping up the research bonus from the reactor (I don't think you have the Research Synth module yet, but if you do go ahead and use that too, why not), then focusing on the shard-boosted research and pushing for as many researches completed as you can manage. This was actually a game-changer for me once I realized that 24 hours of my usual "spread the bonuses around and get everything going well" progress was equal to about ten or fifteen minutes of "go whole hog on Research" progress.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

from memory, I think the way I got past it was... well, more grinding. More compute power, more synth'd resources, more module levels.If the boss is your big hurdle, make sure your V. Device shards are arranged to maximize your combat stats, even if that requires a detour from your usual routes like boosting salvage or whatever; similarly, don't be afraid to spend some time with the Void Power Max module active so you can bank enough VP to get a few more levels to the Damage and Shield reactor settings. Then you can reshuffle your power around, turning off everything but damage and shields and cranking those to the max. You don't even have to care if you're spending more VP than you get; you just have to last long enough to get past that boss, after all.

if you still can't make it, try using your Research Shard and pumping up the research bonus from the reactor (I don't think you have the Research Synth module yet, but if you do go ahead and use that too, why not), then focusing on the shard-boosted research and pushing for as many researches completed as you can manage. This was actually a game-changer for me once I realized that 24 hours of my usual "spread the bonuses around and get everything going well" progress was equal to about ten or fifteen minutes of "go whole hog on Research" progress.

The highest I've been able to get my reactor damage and shield levels is 3; I can't get my VP cap any higher than 2.89e6 or so right now, even with the module and shards equipped.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ship loadout also means a lot. I tend to recommend 1 normal laser and 2 beams, with the normal laser set to full support. It's more dps than a 3rd beam, and if you set your beams to also improve laser boost, you can have it running 24/7.

Would also recommend 2 bulk shield guns just so you can stay in the fight a little longer.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

crime weed posted:

just discovered the "Base Production+" research

its so funny to me that the tree is full of middling 1.2x-1.5x bonuses, and then there's just the eye-watering 3x bonus hiding as a smaller block
lmao yeah I'm finishing this up now, the row that's "3x base prod materials and 2x base damage materials" and it is absolutely head and shoulders ahead of most of these small pair rows

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
But to be fair, the bases both kinda hit ceilings, in terms of contributions to your runs

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Cobalt60 posted:

But to be fair, the bases both kinda hit ceilings, in terms of contributions to your runs
i dunno what youre talking about, im not even at the "+20 compute cap" tier yet.

not sure if im going to buy all the synth base 1 bonuses yet tho; like you said, it seems like they fall off once you get all the major perks

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Depends on how severe the diminishing returns on the battle components are. And at a certain point paying a grand total of 40 warp drive points is going to be a fraction of a single purchase of some other later stage upgrade, so you might as well.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is the "Energy Void Auto Collector" module not working for anyone else? like, I'm literally sitting here watching one of the purple things spawn, not get picked up, and time out and vanish.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is the "Energy Void Auto Collector" module not working for anyone else? like, I'm literally sitting here watching one of the purple things spawn, not get picked up, and time out and vanish.

Assuming you actually have it equipped, it does seem to take a while to actually "click" the purple thing, enough to make you question whether it is working, not instantly like the similar one for salvage scrap. Make sure that when you see it vanish, that the bonus isn't showing up in the bottom left, it still should be.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Got base 2 yesterday and you know, I'm glad to see that it's slightly different from base 1. Adding another component adds a lot of complexity, and I love that it gives a different bonus from more damage and shields. It practically doubled my computing power in 5 minutes!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Klungar posted:

Assuming you actually have it equipped, it does seem to take a while to actually "click" the purple thing, enough to make you question whether it is working, not instantly like the similar one for salvage scrap. Make sure that when you see it vanish, that the bonus isn't showing up in the bottom left, it still should be.

It also hangs around on screen for several seconds when you click it. I don't have the module but I assume it still does that when auto clicked.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Klungar posted:

I didn't stare at my bonus area like a hawk, so it may well have made it happen.

(so close to base two, really looking forward to new system, brain juice go brrrr)

edit: yes, I caught it in action finally. wow, does that thing ever have a long delay. Complaint retracted!

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 3, 2023

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I didn't stare at my bonus area like a hawk, so it may well have made it happen.

(so close to base two, really looking forward to new system, brain juice go brrrr)

edit: yes, I caught it in action finally. wow, does that thing ever have a long delay. Complaint retracted!

I think it is still worthy of complaint/feedback. I can't think of any good reason for it to not work like the salvage scrap clicker that does so near-instantly when one of those appears on screen. I was certainly confused and kept manually clicking on them lest I miss out until I slowed down and just patiently waited to see what would happen in the end. Does not seem like intended behavior.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Klungar posted:

I think it is still worthy of complaint/feedback. I can't think of any good reason for it to not work like the salvage scrap clicker that does so near-instantly when one of those appears on screen. I was certainly confused and kept manually clicking on them lest I miss out until I slowed down and just patiently waited to see what would happen in the end. Does not seem like intended behavior.
oh absolutely, but if I wanted to give feedback as far as I can tell I'd have to join their Discord and gently caress that, discord is for shitposting about final fantasies 5 and 11 and nothing else :colbert:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Is USI supposed to completely stop running when I'm in another tab? I notice I will do something else for 15 minutes and come back to a reactor that has not filled at all, my ship has stopped moving, etc. I tested it again and if I'm in another tab for even a few seconds, I can tab back in and all the ships on-screen are in the exact same place. Frustrating if that's what's happening. The whole point for me is to do other stuff and check in on this every 15-30 mins while I'm at my computer.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

big cummers ONLY posted:

Is USI supposed to completely stop running when I'm in another tab? I notice I will do something else for 15 minutes and come back to a reactor that has not filled at all, my ship has stopped moving, etc. I tested it again and if I'm in another tab for even a few seconds, I can tab back in and all the ships on-screen are in the exact same place. Frustrating if that's what's happening. The whole point for me is to do other stuff and check in on this every 15-30 mins while I'm at my computer.

Most idle games these days don't work if they are in a background tab. They need to be in their own window, and they usually need to be uncovered by another window as well.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I didn't know that! I can understand not working in a background tab, but what's the reason for not working if another window is covering it? Is it a design choice or a technical limitation?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

big cummers ONLY posted:

I didn't know that! I can understand not working in a background tab, but what's the reason for not working if another window is covering it? Is it a design choice or a technical limitation?

At least in Chrome's case, Google changed things in how the browser works nominally to reduce the amount of processing power/memory the browser uses by throttling the operation of non-active tabs and non-visible windows. There at least used to be developer flags you could change the value on in order to undo this change, but I'm not sure if you are still able to do so. Also, other browsers may behave differently.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

big cummers ONLY posted:

It's web browsers trying to be use less resources. Non game uses in no way want this stuff running when it can't be seen. You can see this with streaming tab out of a show let it run in the background window at some point it will just stop playing until you can see the player again.

This is Edge and Chrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Does the downloadable version of USI stay updated or do you just kinda have to check for updates?