Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

This would be like joining your partner's pickup basketball game every week and then calling timeouts every 2 minutes to have things explained to you. Just muddle through and keep the game moving and learn on your own if you actually want to get good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You mean Smokey Bear?

No, he’s got a middle name!

It’s “the” :v:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

house of the dad posted:

This would be like joining your partner's pickup basketball game every week and then calling timeouts every 2 minutes to have things explained to you. Just muddle through and keep the game moving and learn on your own if you actually want to get good at it.

No it isn't lmao.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

dominion is boring. i wouldn;'t put up with that poo poo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Or maybe... accept that sometimes your partner has hobbies that don't involve you? He can find something else to do on game night and you can not begrudge him whatever he wants to spend a few hours doing with his own friends*

*assuming it's not super weird and gross, because this is still reddit after all

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
anyway i'm gonna install this poo poo and see whether zack's a dumbfuck or not

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No it isn't lmao.

Ok

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
AITA for refusing to let my son stay in my house after he was kicked out of his apartment?

quote:

My (56M) son (29M) is a quite irresponsible person, he doesn't care about anything or anyone, in his world there is only him and no one else and for that very reason he was kicked out of his apartment. His landlord was quite clear when he told him that he didn't want scandals in the place or complaints from the neighbors, and what did he do? He threw a party and two of the guests ended up in a fight, even the police were involved, it was terrible. Of course his landlord found out and kicked him out in the blink of an eye (which is completely legal here).

Well, the thing is that now he has nowhere to go and he asked me if he could stay at my house and without even thinking about it I said no. I don't want him here because he doesn't get along with his siblings (9F, 6M, 5F) or my wife (38F) all because he keeps blaming her for "breaking up his family", which is a lie because when I started dating my wife I had already broken up with his mom (55F) but he doesn't want to believe me. He treats her badly all the time, she and our children have cried because of him on more than one occasion, and I'm sick of him. My wife and I have been together for seventeen years and I think it is time for him to get over it and understand that she is here to stay and that until he learns to respect her, he cannot stay here.

I told him that and I also told him it's time to grow up and learn that he's not 18 anymore to act like a teenager, that he can stay in a hotel until he gets a new apartment. And of course he got mad at me and told me that I am a horrible father, that everything I'm doing is because my wife manipulates me and things like that, but I'm not going to change my mind because honestly I'm sick of him and I can't tolerate his behavior anymore. AITA?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wow, cool, the son was 12 when his mother got the boot and his dad moved on to his next lady, sounds like it didn’t have any impact on him though

ED: 12 year old kid, 39 year old father, 20 year old new wife

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

pentyne posted:

AITA for refusing to let my son stay in my house after he was kicked out of his apartment?

these kids today and their scandals, sick of it I tell you

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

How dare you insult my daughter wife, son, she's been with me for half her life at this point

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The implicit neglect in that post is so big the vacuum is making a wet sucking sound

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

seems like the son has some bad vibes

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

seems like the son has some bad vibes

yeah it totally has to be either/or. People are legendarily binary like that.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

How dare you insult my daughter wife, son, she's been with me for half her life at this point

:drat:

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

value-brand cereal posted:

AITA for getting upset when my girlfriend nearly started a kitchen fire?

"My ex-girlfriend, who is doing grad school while holding down a full-time job, is chronically exhausted and suffering as a result. Am I the rear end in a top hat for treating her like an idiot child while losing my poo poo because I finally had to deal with potentially dangerous consequences of that?"

Also, yes. Yes, he's the rear end in a top hat. Granted that nearly starting a kitchen fire isn't good, and it's entirely likely that he is legit traumatized from having nearly lost his home to fire as a kid. But he should have seen this as a wakeup call that he needs to be helping her more, not...this.

Also, I legit can't tell from his story if he actually bothered to put the fire out first before going and screaming at her, or if his first reaction was to go yell and make her put the fire out. (Or...if there was really that much of a fire, or if it was just a scorched pot. Which still shouldn't have happened, but isn’t exactly "the kitchen is one step away from being in flames".)

value-brand cereal posted:

I'm pretending that guy wrecked his entire relationship because he mistook steam for smoke. It'd be super funny insofar as pretending it's a fake post and a real person wasn't emotionally hurt.

I like this version.

deety posted:

I agree with this. If OP thought her lapse was breakup worthy and didn't feel safe with her living there any more, that'd be fine.

But he made a post asking if it was an overreaction for her to move out and cut contact. And... Seriously? You don't get to shout at someone, insult them, tell them they're no longer allowed to use the kitchen without standing over the pot, and then expect them to meekly accept it all and still go to bed with you that night.

He seemed so mystified by the fact that she moved all her poo poo out while he was at work, too. Like he doesn't even realize that he may have scared her just as badly as she scared him.

Yup. That plus blocking him on everything and the mutual contact he reached out to saying that she doesn't want to talk to him, says that she does not feel safe around him any more and has said as much to everyone she knows.

Lone Goat posted:

Zack can just practice on his own if he wants, but it's not up to the others to teach him how since he's the one trying to force his way into the gaming sessions

Dominion isn't actually that complicated, especially if you're playing digitally and the client handles all the interactions for you.

Were it me I'd simply git gud.

Eh, she's the one who brought up that her friend-group does Dominion game sessions on the regular. If she wanted him to make a good impression, she should have gone with something more newbie friendly than the multi-expansion game that probably also has a dozen house rules after having been played for multiple years by this one group.

Hell, if she wanted them to play something that still had the potential for ruining things, she could have suggested online Monopoly.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

tinytort posted:

online Monopoly.

ESH

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

captainOrbital posted:

My ex left pierogi on the skillet for too long and i got so mad i burned the house down

Justified if the pierogi was homemade.

rotinaj posted:

My point was “the guy is shocked that his girlfriend isn’t jumping right back on his dick to restart their relationship”.

Dude was absolutely correct to be mad and to freak out, but he is having a hard time doing extremely basic relationship math

"Basic relationship math" is an excellent term for something a lot of people seem unable to do.

quote:

DEAR ABBY: I am a 55-year-old woman who had a few good jobs earlier in my career, which enabled me to buy a lovely townhouse in New England. I now work as a consultant, and I no longer earn the same kind of money I did back then. My problem: About 20 years ago, my parents borrowed money from me to fix their home so they could sell it. After it sold, not only did they not pay me back, but they moved in with me. It was supposed to be temporary, but they have been staying here rent-free for the last five years. In addition to my frustration with my parents, my sister (who is in her 40s) was living down south with her boyfriend when their relationship imploded. So she moved back to New England and moved in with us. She is not paying rent either and brought her two dogs with her. I am at my wits' end. Please give me some advice. -- GOING BONKERS IN MASSACHUSETTS

DEAR GOING BONKERS: You have been patient and tolerant for far too long. You have been a pushover. Contact an attorney for help, because you may have to evict these relatives. Grow a backbone and TELL your parents you want them not only to move but to take your sister and her dogs with them. I sincerely hope you have something in writing memorializing the loan you gave your folks because, if you don’t, you probably will not see that money again. (Sorry.)
Twenty years.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

trickybiscuits posted:

Twenty years.

OP should put some soup on the stove and burn the house down

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

tinytort posted:

Eh, she's the one who brought up that her friend-group does Dominion game sessions on the regular. If she wanted him to make a good impression, she should have gone with something more newbie friendly than the multi-expansion game that probably also has a dozen house rules after having been played for multiple years by this one group.

Hell, if she wanted them to play something that still had the potential for ruining things, she could have suggested online Monopoly.

She has a gaming group that she's played with regularly for three years and her boyfriend of four months wants to join in, with no preparation. Why should she take a single step to accommodate him when he hasn't learned to play?

If she had an intramural softball team she played with for years and this doofus goes "no that's too hard, please set up the tee-ball stand" he'd be mocked for the same reasons.

There's no house rules they're playing online. Dude's just bad at the game. Imagine dating a scrub lmao

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

trickybiscuits posted:

Twenty years.

Man, just what did it take to push noodle spine here over the line? I mean, after 20 years there has to have been something.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pyroi posted:

Man, just what did it take to push noodle spine here over the line? I mean, after 20 years there has to have been something.

sounds like a sister and two dogs

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The sister moving in was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Re: flaming pots of sleeping stew, it just sounds like an ESH moment.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Lone Goat posted:

She has a gaming group that she's played with regularly for three years and her boyfriend of four months wants to join in, with no preparation. Why should she take a single step to accommodate him when he hasn't learned to play?

If she had an intramural softball team she played with for years and this doofus goes "no that's too hard, please set up the tee-ball stand" he'd be mocked for the same reasons.

There's no house rules they're playing online. Dude's just bad at the game. Imagine dating a scrub lmao

lmao if the genders were flipped everyone here would rightfully call the boyfriend a gatekeeping rear end in a top hat

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Lone Goat posted:

Because that what normal people who don’t get their relationships discussed on AITA would do.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA For Purposefully Making My Brother Snap?

quote:

My (18f) brother (25m) has been working as a therapist for about a year now. My parents are very proud of him but I've felt like they've always liked him more, saying things like he's the child they've always wanted (I was an unplanned pregnancy), boys are so much easier to raise, and he's so smart and gifted (which wouldn't offend me as much if they'd ever said anything similar to me, which they haven't, even though we've had similar performances in school and activities).

Ever since realizing his interest in psychology a few years ago, my brother's been using terms to "psychoanalyze" us. He especially likes to point out my "deflection" and "displacement" every time I get angry at him or try to ask for equal treatment as him. Whenever my parents have friends over he'll try to impress them by quoting this researcher or that theory. I think it makes him insufferable and pompous but what bothers me even more is that my parents adore how "clever and accomplished" he is.

Well, I decided to utilize the internet to learn some fun new psychology/therapy terms. However, I've been using these terms slightly wrong because I know it annoys my brother. When my brother told me I was exhibiting symptoms of a depressive disorder, I told him he should try to Pavlov them out of me. I don't think that's how depressive disorders or Pavlov work, but it got him quiet.

Recently we had gone to the grocery store (our parents wanted us to "spend time together so we would stop fighting" and also get them groceries) and my brother saw one of his coworkers and went to start talking to her. My brother quietly told me to "get my Cluster B self out of the way" so I responded by shouting at my brother "You can't reveal my Narcissistic Personality Disorder! That's violating HIPAA" He looked confused so I continued "I finally felt like we had a rapport! Now you're giving me transferance!" His coworker also started looking confused so I started fake-wailing and said "You've shamed me and haven't held space for my processing. You're a cognitive distortion!" My brother responded by shouting, "You can't be a cognitive distortion! You HAVE cognitive distortions!" His coworker probably thought we were unhinged and walked away.

Well now my brother's angry at me because he says that his coworker's been avoiding him and his whole office thinks he's weird. I'm honestly happy because he hasn't tried to call me Cluster B or any other term any time recently. My parents are angry at me because they said that I've stooped to his level and I responded by saying that I wished I could stoop to his level because maybe then they'd like me like they like him. Then my mother started crying and I felt badly so I apologized. Now I'm thinking what I did was kind of excessive and immature, but I also don't think it was unasked for. AITA?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mx. posted:

Lmao arrogant golden child hosed around and found out. That kid owns.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have melted a kettle twice because I forgot it was there. What did I do? Showed my husband the kettle and burner, we laughed at how dumb I was, and I started taking a timer with me when I left the room. At no point did anybody call anybody else a child. Why? Because screwups happen, including dangerous ones, and we both like each other a lot. An adult can get angry because of danger and not pull out the nuclear weapons.

Here's what could have happened. OP could have yelled, left the room, cooled down, and come back and said "Look, I was really angry. Not just because of this fire, but because when I was a kid my house nearly burned down. I'm mad that you made this mistake, because it scared me. Please don't ever leave the room with a pot on the stove again."

> I was glad she left because I was still pretty angry so it would give us some time where we didn't have to look at each other.

Yeah. And he's now Shocked Pikachu that she decided she didn't want to look at him ever again. He wanted to cherish his anger, but he's upset because she cherished hers all the way out the door.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

listening to people you think are dumber than you talk about their problems all day sounds like a terrible career choice

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mx. posted:

get his rear end

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

lmao if the genders were flipped everyone here would rightfully call the boyfriend a gatekeeping rear end in a top hat

Yeah weird how different cultural contexts can make the same action seem different when done by different people.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I've heard therapists explain more than once that they can be thrown out of the entire profession for the stuff the brother is doing. It is massively unethical.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

hawowanlawow posted:

listening to people you think are dumber than you talk about their problems all day sounds like a terrible career choice

Sounds like a great way for him to always feel superior to other people, really. Maintaining his golden child feelings into adulthood without needing the parents' constant reaffirming.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

JackSplater posted:

Sounds like a great way for him to always feel superior to other people, really. Maintaining his golden child feelings into adulthood without needing the parents' constant reaffirming.

Lots of very sick people get into mental healthcare

Generated Wizards
Apr 16, 2016

You can play Dominion with two players (it's not 'the ideal experience' or whatever but it would be enough to help you get to grips with the mechanics of it), he could have asked to play a couple of Baby's First Dominion sessions with just the girlfriend before throwing himself into an established game of people who aren't expecting to have to teach a newbie.

It's not like 'doing things with my girlfriend and getting to know her friends a bit' is a zero-sum game. Hell, maybe your boardgame-playing girlfriend would enjoy it if you bought a game neither of you knew how to play so you could learn together?

Most boardgamer types I know are happy to teach new players, but they usually do it with everyone at the table aware of this and being fine with it or by playing a game specifically to teach it rather than taking over game night.

Generated Wizards fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 2, 2023

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Generated Wizards posted:

You can play Dominion with two players (it's not 'the ideal experience' or whatever but it would be enough to help you get to grips with the mechanics of it), he could have asked to play a couple of Baby's First Dominion sessions with just the girlfriend before throwing himself into an established game of people who aren't expecting to have to teach a newbie.

It's not like 'doing things with my girlfriend and getting to know her friends a bit' is a zero-sum game. Hell, maybe your boardgame-playing girlfriend would enjoy it if you bought a game neither of you knew how to play so you could learn together?

she loving sucks. Dominion is a great 2 player game and some of the expansions are way too complicated for new players.

but most of all, she sucks for putting the needs of "the social dynamic" above her partner.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

loving nerds and their boring games

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Generated Wizards posted:

Most boardgamer types I know are happy to teach new players, but they usually do it with everyone at the table aware of this and being fine with it or by playing a game specifically to teach it rather than taking over game night.

They're 20 years old and super into board games, so going to bet that their calibration for normal/healthy newbie interaction is a bit off.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

TengenNewsEditor posted:

ice cold comment from OP

drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Also I had a roommate run me through some very beginner's Dominion. It is 200% the kind-of game that's easy enough to pick up the basics but only through playing it like 50 loving times do you start to actually see the meta, and there's no real way around that other than either experience or an extremely dedicated teaching guide. My roommate ran circles around me without even trying, and it was very clearly because they could see relationships between card types that I just couldn't from only having played it for an hour or so.

Some games are like that, where until you crack the novice curve you're essentially toddler trash to even intermediate players, and once you crack that curve it's really hard to tune down and let newbies in.

Learning which games are like that is a wisdom thing, and yeah 20 year-olds aren't likely to have that unless they played all throughout their teens.