Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Regular loonboss is back in stock, along with big heckin spider.

Is there any point, right now, to a regular old loonboss if I got for loonboss/hq? units:

Skragrott
Loonboss on giant cave squig
loonboss on mangler squigs
Shaman Stinkmullet
squigboss (pre-ordered)

The spider is cool but I don't know how useful it is w/ the new book

Skragrott got a pretty big glow-up and looks very good now, Squigboss will be mandatory if you're running an all-squigs list, Loonboss on Mangler squig hits like a truck but might be a touch overcosted now compared to regular Manglers, and shamans are situationally useful but Gloomspite magic seems like it got a bit weaker overall. Regular Loonboss is gonna be a hard sell if you're running a lot of highly mobile hoppers / bounders, but looks more attractive if you've got big blocks of night goblins. Sadly there's not much justification for bringing the spider in a squig list other than that it looks cool, which is reason enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not sure, I got some squigs and some bouncy boys but idk where else to take my army now

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for 3d printed Chaos Dwarves? I know they didn't make the leap to AoS but may e someone has a good lead.

https://www.lostkingdomminiatures.com/en/24-infernal-dwarves-magmhorin

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm not sure, I got some squigs and some bouncy boys but idk where else to take my army now

It's not a good time to try and plan a Gitz list, the book isn't out yet so you've just got previews and reviews to go off of.

Also kind of lame that GW didn't have a restock of the Gitz line with this, I put in an order early Saturday to get the Battletome pre-ordered and half the Gitz line was out of stock.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Goonhammer and AoSCoach have done pretty thorough breakdowns of the new book and it sounds like full Squig and full Troggoth armies are both gonna be quite solid - they seem to be deliberately moving away from giant blocks of gobbos as a go-to playstyle, which makes sense since the entire game is moving in a more streamlined direction, and spiders are still sorta the odd man out subfaction with no particularly strong synergies but still some opportunities for really dangerous units.

Basically everything got better across the board and running a mixed list seems like it will finally be viable, so there's not too many ways you can wrong unless you're looking specifically to create a competitive list, which will probably be gamed out within a couple weeks of the book releasing.

Based on what you have, a few Squig Herds, a Mangler or two, a Squigboss, some Hoppers / Bounders and maybe Skragrott is definitely going to be a solid core that you can build basically any squig list around. The only option that would be outright bad is the foot Loonboss, since his keyword specific abilities only apply to Moonclan units and squigs don't count.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Actually, Squigs are Moonclan. He works fine on them, explicitly, to hand out MWs on 6s.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

Actually, Squigs are Moonclan. He works fine on them, explicitly, to hand out MWs on 6s.

Huh, have they always been Moonclan? Good to know either way!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Played a 1000pt refresher game with my dok versus stormcast. Other guy hadn't played for a long time either and we were both somewhat stunned by my output and the game was basically over turn 2. Played a second one and it was closer but won on objectives. Looking forward to a bigger game and taking Morathi and some more fighty snakes.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Huh, have they always been Moonclan? Good to know either way!

Yes, but the loonboss used to only work on moonclan grot units and they dropped the grot part from what the reviews have said.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

JBP posted:

Played a 1000pt refresher game with my dok versus stormcast. Other guy hadn't played for a long time either and we were both somewhat stunned by my output and the game was basically over turn 2. Played a second one and it was closer but won on objectives. Looking forward to a bigger game and taking Morathi and some more fighty snakes.

Game is kinda hilarious at low points if army is a little bit optimized. I recently joined league (600->800->1000) and deleted both of my oponents by round 2. On the other hand might be oponents inexperience as well as lists.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I haven't played since about 2019, but have a pretty sizeable STD force and would like to get back into it with the new battle tome. Can anyone suggest resources for learning 3rd edition beyond reading the rulebook? I have a hard time groking it that way and learn so much better watching a video or even listening to a podcast.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Mikey Purp posted:

I haven't played since about 2019, but have a pretty sizeable STD force and would like to get back into it with the new battle tome. Can anyone suggest resources for learning 3rd edition beyond reading the rulebook? I have a hard time groking it that way and learn so much better watching a video or even listening to a podcast.
The best way would be to get a demo game in a local store, meanwhile, this video could be good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w9pByivSns

Also, there's the official page with some specific videos about phases and stuff like that: https://ageofsigmar.com/new-to-aos/play/

And of course, the core rules: https://ageofsigmar.com/core-rules/

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

AOSv3 is almost identical to V2 in core rules, except there is some new stuff you can do. When I switched I printed page 2 of this reference sheet, which has all the additional stuff you can do in each phase on one handy piece of paper: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13eA2qNfPIei2AhQuKiAAwBTFVCg8ioMt/view?usp=drivesdk

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Deranged new Deepkin model idea - it's a massive anglerfish that can transport namarti in its mouth and has a devastating bite attack that it can't use when it has said namarti in its mouth.

Also make the lure light a laser gun.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The Deleter posted:

Deranged new Deepkin model idea - it's a massive anglerfish that can transport namarti in its mouth and has a devastating bite attack that it can't use when it has said namarti in its mouth.

Also make the lure light a laser gun.

At the beginning of the battle, the Deepkin player secretly writes down one objective marker. At any point in the battle, the Deepkin player can remove that objective marker from the board and replace it with the anglerfish, the objective was the fish's lure.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Chainclaw posted:

At the beginning of the battle, the Deepkin player secretly writes down one objective marker. At any point in the battle, the Deepkin player can remove that objective marker from the board and replace it with the anglerfish, the objective was the fish's lure.

This is loving cool

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Chainclaw posted:

Hell loving yes

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

That is rad as hell

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Chainclaw posted:

With an additional Grand Strat to your enemy that they have to kill the Anglerfish. Players either complete a Grand Strategy or not; you don't get more points for doing both.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

That sounds great. I might suggest some of it to our IDK player for our Path to Glory campaign...

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

So this isn't a pointless crosspost most of y'all have seen anyway, I was surprised to discover recently a couple of the newer 40k novels are kinda decent. Is there anything comparable to The Infinite and the Divine out there for the AoS books?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I’ve heard really good stuff about Godeater’s Son, the recent novel about a Chaos dude and his issues with colonizing Azyrites assholes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Hamilcar books are otherwise solid choices, but more in the vein of the Ciaphas Cain books than TIatD.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Agreed both of those books are good. Dominion is also a decent starting point book.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/02/05/sunday-preview-skirmish-games-reign-supreme

For those who have been craving Warcry releases, the gods have answered your prayer. Next week sees the new Bloodhunt box go up for pre-order, alongside stand alone releases of the past two warbands; Hunters of Huanchi and The Jade Obelisk.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Gloomspite and Dark Harvest are both good horror type books. Soul Wars is a decent introduction to the setting and has a Stormcast focus. Also liked Plague Garden for more SCE action.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I like Tornus.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Mors Rattus posted:

I’ve heard really good stuff about Godeater’s Son, the recent novel about a Chaos dude and his issues with colonizing Azyrites assholes.

I just bought it based on your post, it opens VERY strong. I went in with no expectations, and I am really interested in how they are giving this setting more thought and nuance than I expected. I can post some quotes and further impressions if you like.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Has anyone here picked up the Soulbound RPG? Was thinking about grabbing it just for setting info.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I've got a goodly chunk of it, and it's alright. Background's a little repeated, a little fresh. I think Mors did a full rundown in the F&F thread a while back. Plays okay; I dunno if I'd buy the whole series at full price, but it's a no-brainer if you can get it in a bundle.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I have two copies of the core soulbound book, the bestiary, an adventure and the era of the beast splatbook. I think it’s a pretty nice game, all in all, though it’s focused on telling particular kinds of stories. The variable target number dice pools took a bit to wrap my head around, but after I watched the three tutorial videos I really appreciate how well they can give you some fast-moving battles with impressive spectacle.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Thanks to Mors' efforts in showing it off, I'm a HUGE fan. The variable numbers are a bit hard to grok, but there are resources to find your way. I really hope they go generic with its system at some point, it's a fun one to poke at.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Nice! Thanks everyone.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

S.J. posted:

Has anyone here picked up the Soulbound RPG? Was thinking about grabbing it just for setting info.

Yes it's quite great. I wish I was more articulate.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I've enjoyed reading through the Wrath & Glory stuff and I know the system is different but I'll definitely check out Soulbound.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I can fully recommend Soulbound - ran 2 campaigns of it already and planning on the third. Mechanics are simple enough but not too simple, and it does provide a lot of setting information.

As far as AoS books from black library, Dynasty of Monsters is great if you want some vampire action

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I love soulbound I had so much fun in the short campaign I had.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Our group is planning to do a Soulbound campaign in the near future.

And like a bolt from a blue sky, here's another Old World dev diary, this time talking about the Bone Zone. Otherwise known as Nekehara.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/02/06/old-world-development-diary-walk-like-a-nehekharan-in-the-land-of-the-dead

Edit:
Finished a bunch of weapons last night.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 6, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pardon the double posting.

Another Seraphon reveal, in this case the new Saurus Astrolith Bearer.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/02/06/let-cosmic-power-flow-through-your-seraphon-with-the-saurus-astrolith-bearers/

Even showing off some of the new rules as well.

And sounds like we can except another reveal next monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I for one welcome our ancient lizard overlords