Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Steam seems to have updated the wishlist UI so it's bloated and takes up twice as much vertical space per entry.

If you click on options there's a "compact" view. Although I feel like it's been like this for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anno posted:

If you click on options there's a "compact" view. Although I feel like it's been like this for a long time.

yeah I'm dumb, I deleted my steam web browser cache trying to fix the broken friends list thing I mentioned 2 days ago and that reset it to the expanded view. I'd apparently had it on compact for so long I forgot there was a different view by default.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

Golf with your friends is also a good time, with your friends
I would need to have friends :qq:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

And another one

https://twitter.com/knockoutcity/status/1621306004162985984

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I grabbed PGA Tour 2K21 cause maybe golf is relaxing? I dunno, I'll find out I guess

Oh I forgot to say thanks.

Thanks anno!

Anno
May 10, 2017

Posting what might be left for the new page:

PJNPG-JWQXD-0HGG6 - Book of Demons
RE4X4-X9ZER-028FE - Opus Magnum
YYA3Z-Y043M-KJL6N - Rise of Industry
XDMX3-AZW84-NPRHQ - Imperator Rome Deluxe
F0E6Q-ZK768-T3PW3 - PGA Tour 2K21

Anno fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 3, 2023

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Resdfru posted:

I grabbed PGA Tour 2K21 cause maybe golf is relaxing? I dunno, I'll find out I guess

Oh I forgot to say thanks.

Thanks anno!

i like it a lot but it's honestly kinda rough. if you're expecting something like tiger woods pga tour, it's not that. the pga 2k games are the successor to the "golf club" games which are notoriously unforgiving sims. they've gotten friendlier since being subsumed into the 2k sports brand but they're still pretty demanding. prepare to take a lot of practice swings

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Wow, they're releasing a free "offline" version allowing for players to host their own games after it shuts down. That's pretty wild for one of these live service games, but very cool.

edit: I messed around with it back in beta and it was honestly very fun. Just another one of those games in a tough spot where it's hard to sell as a full priced multiplayer centric title but it's also not going to ever take off enough to support the full live service f2p ecosystem

goferchan fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 3, 2023

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Anno posted:

Opus Magnum has been redeemed by someone

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

goferchan posted:

Wow, they're releasing a free "offline" version allowing for players to host their own games after it shuts down. That's pretty wild for one of these live service games, but very cool.

edit: I messed around with it back in beta and it was honestly very fun. Just another one of those games in a tough spot where it's hard to sell as a full priced multiplayer centric title but it's also not going to ever take off enough to support the full live service f2p ecosystem

Yeah, this game made the mistake of both launching as a paid game but then also tried to transition over a year after release to F2P, while going up against other monstrously popular games in this category.

They were also tied to Origin's account system (because EA was their original publisher) until they self-published the game and changed over to Epic.

From wikipedia:

quote:

The team, which has about 85 employees, spent four years developing the game.
:smith:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

explosivo posted:

They just rolled out a big year one update for Dying Light 2 that overhauled the hit animations to make them more ragdoll-ey, which if you spent a decent amount of time with both DL1 and 2 you'd know felt like a regression between sequels and it actually feels a whole lot more dynamic now. Hits with impact bats send bodies loving flying now which is really satisfying and the zombies kinda stumble around more when they get knocked around. Definitely feels like a good change, and it's cool seeing them supporting it with significant updates like this so far after launch. I might have to actually finish that drat game (although they can't fix the story, i'm still skipping that poo poo)

Yeah I've been thinking about going back and finishing that one up. Just gotta remind myself how to play

Speaking of going back to games I never finished, Jedi Fallen Order is actually a dope game. For some reason I fell off it, so this week I went back and played it all the way through from the beginning and had a great time. Super excited for the next in the series from Respawn

Weedle posted:

i like it a lot but it's honestly kinda rough. if you're expecting something like tiger woods pga tour, it's not that. the pga 2k games are the successor to the "golf club" games which are notoriously unforgiving sims. they've gotten friendlier since being subsumed into the 2k sports brand but they're still pretty demanding. prepare to take a lot of practice swings

However, once you get it, you get it, and you can place your shots down really really nicely. It's fun to try and account for everything, and how you really have to focus on the swing so you don't totally shank it

Play fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 3, 2023

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

There's a new ea sports golf game coming out next month, looks pretty good. I didn't like PGA 2K23 at all so hopefully this is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeJ_KuMZPb4

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ErrEff posted:

From wikipedia:

:smith:

This reminded me to look up Death By FrostByte because it always makes me sad.

• Released in early access on March 10th, 2021
  • Regular updates, with the most recent being two months ago.
  • It's clearly something the solo(?) dev is committed to and cares about
  • It has one review. And it's a pity review that gave the game a thumbs-down anyway. And the dev responded to it, sincerely thankful for feedback and practically begging for more.
  • According to steamdb, the all-time peak player count was two

You can tell by looking at it why it's not exactly making waves (it looks serviceable, but not memorable), and I'm not interested in it myself (and too broke to give it a pity buy), but it was the first game to make me realize that a bunch of games on Steam just never sell any copies at all (much like phone app stores), even if they get regular updates from a committed dev. It's just kind of a bummer to think about and now I am inflicting it upon all of you :twisted:

I've been tempted to make a post about it on Reddit or something to try and get it a bunch of pity purchases, but then again there are a whole lot of other games with the same plight, so :shrug: At least they still have the potential of a bigger launch whenever they hit full release.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 3, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

goferchan posted:

The landscape is going to be insane depending on how aggressive these publishers get with DMCA takedowns. You're gonna see a era where people are running private servers for decade old games because they've been shut down, delisted, no server auth, etc.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think I've seen similar stories about at least a couple of other games in this thread, though I can't remember their names. What a tragic fate.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Anno posted:

PJNPG-JWQXD-0HGG6 - Book of Demons
YYA3Z-Y043M-KJL6N - Rise of Industry
XDMX3-AZW84-NPRHQ - Imperator Rome Deluxe
F0E6Q-ZK768-T3PW3 - PGA Tour 2K21

Rise of Industry is taken already too.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I posted this in the Fresh Releases and Roguelikes threads, but I'm posting it here too because this game is (a) very good and (b) flying completely under the radar

It's a roguelike seemingly inspired by Rift Wizard and Magicka. Released a few days ago, usually $20 but currently on sale for $15. Also it has online co-op and supports at least 5 players at once, possibly more :hellyeah:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1618380/Spellmasons/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256920995/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1671202863

I've only put about 30 minutes into it so far. My initial reactions are very, very positive but I haven't made it very far and don't know how much the complexity keeps stacking up. The video above has the dev explaining and showcasing the gameplay better than I could through text, but here's the more traditional trailer from the steam page:

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256921604/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1671203179

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 3, 2023

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

• It has one review. And it's a pity review that gave the game a thumbs-down anyway. And the dev responded to it, sincerely thankful for feedback and practically begging for more.

You can tell by looking at it why it's not exactly making waves (it looks serviceable, but not memorable), and I'm not interested in it myself (and too broke to give it a pity buy), but it was the first game to make me realize that a bunch of games on Steam just never sell any copies at all (much like phone app stores), even if they get regular updates from a committed dev. It's just kind of a bummer to think about and now I am inflicting it upon all of you :twisted:

I've been tempted to make a post about it on Reddit or something to try and get it a bunch of pity purchases, but then again there are a whole lot of other games with the same plight, so :shrug: At least they still have the potential of a bigger launch whenever they hit full release.

It's sad but all art is like this.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

I feel like you'd have to be putting absolutely no effort at all into any advertising to end up with just one little review. Putting it on itch.io or even just a thread on TIGSource would probably get you a couple, at least. I know marketing sucks but that just doesn't make sense.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't want to come off as rude but that game resembles about a thousand other zero-budget projects on Steam with no cohesive presentation or any real inkling to the consumer about what they're supposed to enjoy about playing it. There's having a purposefully 8-bit aesthetic, and then there's having an aesthetic whatsoever. I look at the preview videos and all I see are mismatched tilesets, a disproportionate UI and obnoxious synth accordion. Or as the kids would say, visual AIDS. I have a lot of sympathy for indie developers because making games is hard and it's often totally arbitrary as to what will catch on, but video games are fundamentally a visual medium and you have to engage people on an aesthetic level as a baseline.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How is Evil West? I've heard it described as "Awesome AA ps2 action," but I'm unclear if it's "This is a great deal for twenty bucks" AA, or Piranhabytes-style "I mean yeah, it's a piece of crap, but it's also a surprising amount of fun" AA.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

How is Evil West? I've heard it described as "Awesome AA ps2 action," but I'm unclear if it's "This is a great deal for twenty bucks" AA, or Piranhabytes-style "I mean yeah, it's a piece of crap, but it's also a surprising amount of fun" AA.

The former, I'd say.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I liked Evil West quite a lot. It's definitely got that AA PS2/PS3 feeling but it's done with a lot of confidence on the part of the developers and you get a lot of tools in combat which come together surprisingly well for being made by a company making their first third person combat action game. As a result you can really dominate the enemy if you're playing well, but you can also get killed very quickly. I paid about £30 and don't feel short changed because I did that plenty of times in the 2010s. It also runs pretty well on the Deck if that's something you're interested in.

From what I've seen, Wanted Dead kind of looks similar, maybe with more of an emphasis on difficulty, so I've ended up quite looking forward to that coming out on the 14th.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

2016 Strider also has this limitation and it loving pains me to not be able to play one of the best metroidvanias of the last decade.

Do you mean Strider 2014? Because I bought and played that summer 2022 and it worked fine.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thanks to whoever recommended the monster titty dungeon crawler, Labyrinth of Refrain. I'm half a dozen hours into it so far and It's actually decently fun.
The gameplay has some unique mechanics that create some interesting spins on the combat and exploration formula that I haven't seen anywhere else, and the story surprisingly has relatively few boring anime-isms and isn't even being that horny. So far I've only seen the game do one comically played attempted molestation scene and a few innuendoes.

Also maybe it's just me but I find the main character being an absolute sociopath with zero regard to anyone around her to be very entertaining.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Trickyblackjack posted:

Do you mean Strider 2014? Because I bought and played that summer 2022 and it worked fine.

Yea sorry 2014, and theres a bug where if you have more than 8 cores or something it just doesn't boot

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I have a friend who is just discovering gaming for the first time. It's a joy to see. They want to play "the classics" but insist on only games with simultaneous co op. Either local or online. We beat Minecraft recently and it was a blast. They have been surprisingly good with adapting to mouse+keyboard controls.

So there's Sven Coop and something similar for playing through all of Half Life 1 & 2 campaigns in co op. Does anything similar exist for Doom or Quake?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Quake 1 definitely had co-op in some form, but I can't remember if it was the whole single player set of missions or a special selection.

EDIT: Yep, all of Quake 1 is playable in co-op, Quake 2 too. This site may help you out as you go!

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 3, 2023

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Heran Bago posted:

We beat Minecraft recently
This is a thing?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Jack Trades posted:

Also maybe it's just me but I find the main character being an absolute sociopath with zero regard to anyone around her to be very entertaining.

I think it's supposed to be depressing, but I imagine the game seems a lot less crushing when only the gameplay and not the story is relentlessly heavy and crushing.

Not actual game spoilers: The real part that makes it depressing is that little girl's undying loyalty, making it straight-up familial/domestic abuse

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jelly posted:

This is a thing?

You can go to the end dimension and kill the ender dragon. Then you get this 7 minute long awful poem thing before the credits. It was a really fun time. Everyone got into their own little projects or buildings along the way and we would meet up occasionally to see each other's progress. Some people would go hunting or mining together. I got into automated farms.

Squiggle posted:

Quake 1 definitely had co-op in some form, but I can't remember if it was the whole single player set of missions or a special selection.

EDIT: Yep, all of Quake 1 is playable in co-op, Quake 2 too. This site may help you out as you go!

Hell yeah. Tyvm

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 3, 2023

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Jelly posted:

This is a thing?

Minecraft has had an end boss for over a decade

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

Anyone here try Inkulinati? It's on Gamepass and I have it downloaded but haven't checked it out yet. It's kind of unclear what the hell it is, it seems like maybe it's a Steamworld Heist style 2d sorta xcom thing but in the style of medieval manuscripts?

I watched Nextlander play some of this and played a bit into the tutorial myself, this is a weird game but kinda neat. It's not entirely unlike Steamworld Heist but seems more focused on pushing and positioning? Like enemies can be pushed off the side of the map to instakill them. The presentation is possibly the coolest thing about it though; the game is being played through the lens of two people playing a board game so you see hands come off screen and move pieces around when you commit to a move and can also just poke enemies with your finger to delete them essentially. I'm not sure if I'm going to play more of it since it's early access and while it feels polished now I think it could be something really cool if they support it well.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

big cummers ONLY posted:

Minecraft has had an end boss for over a decade

The last time that I tried Minecraft was when it first came out after that janky little Infiniminer game. :kiddo:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I posted this in the Fresh Releases and Roguelikes threads, but I'm posting it here too because this game is (a) very good and (b) flying completely under the radar

It's a roguelike seemingly inspired by Rift Wizard and Magicka. Released a few days ago, usually $20 but currently on sale for $15. Also it has online co-op and supports at least 5 players at once, possibly more :hellyeah:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1618380/Spellmasons/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256920995/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1671202863

I've only put about 30 minutes into it so far. My initial reactions are very, very positive but I haven't made it very far and don't know how much the complexity keeps stacking up. The video above has the dev explaining and showcasing the gameplay better than I could through text, but here's the more traditional trailer from the steam page:

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256921604/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1671203179

This sounds like exactly what I want out of a wizard game. Going to give it a try soon.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

What are the most graphically demanding games with stylized/unique art direction?

The standards (Cyberpunk 2077, Control, Metro Exodus) don't really do anything for me-- and I think it's because they're all going for cinematic realism with different color palettes. I'm curious if there's a video game equivalent of Into the Spider-Verse - that pushes current tech in a way that isn't just about repeating what's come before.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lego Builder's Journey, kind of? The shading is realistic (with a bunch of raytracing options) but it's stylized in the sense that everything is Lego

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AfricanBootyShine posted:

What are the most graphically demanding games with stylized/unique art direction?

The standards (Cyberpunk 2077, Control, Metro Exodus) don't really do anything for me-- and I think it's because they're all going for cinematic realism with different color palettes. I'm curious if there's a video game equivalent of Into the Spider-Verse - that pushes current tech in a way that isn't just about repeating what's come before.

Hyper Demon
Hi-Fi Rush

Anno
May 10, 2017

That ray-traced Minecraft thing certainly isn’t going for realism and, I think, is fairly capable of putting up a fight against the best hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Heran Bago posted:

(Quake co-op stuff)

Hell yeah. Tyvm

The original co-op mode in Quake is kind of a hasty added-at-the-last-minute sort of thing FYI. If your friend is new to FPS games anyway then ehhhh it will probably be just fine! But if you did happen to want an (IMO) more polished co-op experience, then using the Copper mod to play through the original Quake campaign is a fine idea.

The Copper changes relevant to co-op are here: http://lunaran.com/copper/changes/#cooperative-mode

(and reading those changes will also give you an idea of what the original issues are)

==========

One other thing to mention... original-style Quake co-op is fairly easy to run & will work great if you guys are on the same LAN together, but if you're trying to do it over the Internet then you will face more faffing-about ... router configuration for port forwarding, careful selection of appropriate Quake-playing programs, and one player being pretty lagged (unless you are playing a different kind of QuakeWorld-based co-op).

So hopefully you are going to be doing this on the same LAN together?

If not, you might actually want to get a QuakeWorld client (like ezQuake) and just both connect to an online QuakeWorld co-op server: https://www.quakeservers.net/quakeworld/servers/t=coop/

==========

Edit: Just occurred to me that you might be playing Quake Enhanced (the rerelease/remaster). If so, it should probably be fine for doing online co-op through its own new networking stuff, and FYI Copper is available as one of the official addons there.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 3, 2023