Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

TheRat posted:

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1621197887378964480

Hopefully this means they're looking into how to terminate his contract

It's worth remembering that Adam Johnson was literally still playing matches for Sunderland up until the day he plead guilty, and it was only after that that his contract was terminated.

Frankly, there's no reason for United to terminate his contract at this point and I'd fully expect him to be back training soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dell_Zincht posted:

She's reportedly back with him, so that's probably why she's no longer testifying
:cripes:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

It's worth remembering that Adam Johnson was literally still playing matches for Sunderland up until the day he plead guilty, and it was only after that that his contract was terminated.

Frankly, there's no reason for United to terminate his contract at this point and I'd fully expect him to be back training soon.

I'd say there's a reason

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Dell_Zincht posted:

She's reportedly back with him, so that's probably why she's no longer testifying

Lol that owns

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

:chloe:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I would suggest that it does, in fact, not own

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

happens more often than you think with these footballers

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Yeah Sunderland’s management were completely disgusting and the CEO resigned in disgrace, not sure this is the reference point you want to use here

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Solkjaer would have made him captain in absentia by now. Standards slipping under ten Hag.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Just imagining the smiling Glen Johnson post but with the United women's team

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

:whitewater:

i'm certain the abuse isn't going to stop there you loving scumbag

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
If they haven't fired him yet for bringing the club into it surely won't happen now so yeah he'll probably be back. Ten Hag doesn't have a problem with violence against women as evidenced by his continued support of Overmars after he was caught sexually harassing female Ajax employees.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Elliptical Dick posted:

If they haven't fired him yet for bringing the club into it surely won't happen now so yeah he'll probably be back. Ten Hag doesn't have a problem with violence against women as evidenced by his continued support of Overmars after he was caught sexually harassing female Ajax employees.

Financially it makes zero sense for the club to terminate his contract without a conviction. Benjamin Mendy is still on the books at City and he went to trial, and will again later in the year.

Obviously the court of public opinion rightly feels differently.

I don't expect him to play for United again. The squad seems to be in a really good place and it would make no sense to bring that kind of distraction into the team with 3 months left in the season and still competing for multiple trophies. The club is also currently for sale and new owners having to take on that kind of PR nightmare seems crazy.

Of course this is football and if the powers that be feel like Greenwood is going to improve this United squad and thus the balance sheet... well, we'll see

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Yeah Sunderland’s management were completely disgusting and the CEO resigned in disgrace, not sure this is the reference point you want to use here

I was more meaning that, in general, clubs will find reasons not to terminate an asset until it's critical. Shrapnig mentioned Mendy as another example (even though I'm not sure he's played at all through this whole thing) and arguably Partey could count as well, though I'm admittedly a little hazy on the whole legal situation behind him.

Like, don't get me wrong: Greenwood is gross and should be nowhere near a football pitch, but I think the best we're going to get is United quietly loaning/selling him somewhere so they can still make some cash off him. Perhaps that's overly cynical of me, and I'd love to be proven otherwise, but history isn't exactly rife with examples of clubs terminating contracts without convictions.

edit: though I guess United did terminate Ronaldo's contract for simply making GBS threads on the club to Piers Morgan so hey what the hell do I know

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 2, 2023

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

january window leaving Prison FC in shambles

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I swear I read somewhere before that a club can't just terminate someone's contract until they're actually convicted of something, so even if United wanted to get rid of Greenwood they would just be paying him off so he could go play in Saudi Arabia or something.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
That sounds like bullshit, why wouldn't the contract be able to include whatever clauses about misconduct or bringing the club into disrepute or whatever else, just like every other person who can be fired without having been convicted of anything?

Edit: yeah from 2 minutes of googling there's 'just cause' clauses in premier league player contracts that cover gross misconduct etc

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Butterfly Valley posted:

That sounds like bullshit, why wouldn't the contract be able to include whatever clauses about misconduct or bringing the club into disrepute or whatever else, just like every other person who can be fired without having been convicted of anything?

Edit: yeah from 2 minutes of googling there's 'just cause' clauses in premier league player contracts that cover gross misconduct etc

I forgot to put in the essential word disrepute in my previous post but that's what I was thinking of. That being said I don't know what exactly qualifies as gross misconduct.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Elliptical Dick posted:

I forgot to put in the essential word disrepute in my previous post but that's what I was thinking of. That being said I don't know what exactly qualifies as gross misconduct.

Beng charged with rape and bringing the club negative attention surely counts. It would in my job.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 3, 2023

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dell_Zincht posted:

IANAL, but surely raping anybody would count

We just had this happen in baseball and it ended in the guy getting away with horrible sex crimes because the cops wouldn’t go forward with it despite overwhelming evidence.

He sued every reporter who said he did it (and thankfully lost the lawsuits faster than Donald Trump) and tried to force the Dodgers to let him play again since the league just kept extending administrative leave every week while they hammered out the details with the players’ union. Eventually he was suspended, went to arbitration, and got the suspension reduced effectively to time served, so he got zero punishment from the league. Great.

That’s moot because he got cut by the team, who are still on the hook for his $22 million contract. Since there’s no conviction there’s no cause for them to outright void it under the collective bargaining agreement.

Everyone was afraid that some team with no morals would pick him up when they cut him (getting a star pitcher and only having to pay him the league minimum salary with the Dodgers on the hook for the rest) but thankfully that didn’t happen. So he gets millions of dollars to gently caress off.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

I swear I read somewhere before that a club can't just terminate someone's contract until they're actually convicted of something, so even if United wanted to get rid of Greenwood they would just be paying him off so he could go play in Saudi Arabia or something.

Of course they can terminate his contract without a conviction, they’re just bitchmade and instead of doing the right thing they’re looking for the best financial outcome

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Of course they can terminate his contract without a conviction, they’re just bitchmade and instead of doing the right thing they’re looking for the best financial outcome

It's probably this which is loving sad imo

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Elliptical Dick posted:

It's probably this which is loving sad imo

It's always been this, I don't know why anyone would think anything different. He's been paid £4m in wages since his suspension, they wouldn't keep paying him if they didn't think there were some financial incentive to do so.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Well most employers would have you on paid suspension while the investigation is ongoing and then take their own action once the police/courts are done. Or sooner if it was taking too long of course but then you’re into what’s a reasonable time to wait of course.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

monkeytennis posted:

Well most employers would have you on paid suspension while the investigation is ongoing and then take their own action once the police/courts are done. Or sooner if it was taking too long of course but then you’re into what’s a reasonable time to wait of course.

There’s plenty of examples of people getting sacked immediately before a trial could ever take place or in cases where there isn’t a prosecutable offense.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

There’s plenty of examples of people getting sacked immediately before a trial could ever take place or in cases where there isn’t a prosecutable offense.

In how many of those cases are the people a potentially £100m asset?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

This is the reason of course but people acting like poor Man Utd aren’t able to do anything so sorry when it’s just cash over doing the right thing

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Shrapnig posted:

Or, more importantly, have the money to take said employer to court for a prolonged wrongful dismissal claim.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I honestly think they just don’t want Greenwood to sue them for wrongful termination because chances are he’d have a case. My guess is clauses allowing unilateral termination are circumscribed in legalese and probably are interpreted narrowly by courts.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Vegetable posted:

I honestly think they just don’t want Greenwood to sue them for wrongful termination because chances are he’d have a case. My guess is clauses allowing unilateral termination are circumscribed in legalese and probably are interpreted narrowly by courts.

Yep, no agent worth their salt is going to allow a player to sign a contract that essentially says that the player can be terminated without compensation if they fall out of favour with the club. You're going to have to show that the player has met the threshold for gross misconduct that you'd apply to any normal senior role, and then follow a full step-by-step disciplinary process with evidence for what you're doing, otherwise you're getting dragged in front of an employment tribunal and ordered to pay the full contract plus costs.

If I was an employment lawyer, the fact that Cristiano Ronaldo had a very similar case that the club was aware of and took no action on would have me making all of the Lionel Hutz noises. You've suddenly got a direct comparator where you can show that your client was discriminated against in terms of resolution.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets the Winston Bogarde treatment, or is offered a cash settlement to gently caress off.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Yep, no agent worth their salt is going to allow a player to sign a contract that essentially says that the player can be terminated without compensation if they fall out of favour with the club. You're going to have to show that the player has met the threshold for gross misconduct that you'd apply to any normal senior role, and then follow a full step-by-step disciplinary process with evidence for what you're doing, otherwise you're getting dragged in front of an employment tribunal and ordered to pay the full contract plus costs.

If I was an employment lawyer, the fact that Cristiano Ronaldo had a very similar case that the club was aware of and took no action on would have me making all of the Lionel Hutz noises. You've suddenly got a direct comparator where you can show that your client was discriminated against in terms of resolution.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets the Winston Bogarde treatment, or is offered a cash settlement to gently caress off.

Ahh yes Greenwood has simply “fallen out of favor”.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Rapist Greenwood

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Ahh yes Greenwood has simply “fallen out of favor”.

Of course not, but what can you prove, substantively, from an employment law perspective?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I don’t give two shits about how it might hurt poor Man Utd’s shareholders. Sack him and let him make a claim if he wants to air out his dirty laundry like the pictures and the horrific audio.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
if they had any morals whatsoever they would sack him and make him fight them in court before giving him a single penny

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

So what's Partey up to these days?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
What's left on his contract?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Please do not start a competition of my clubs sex criminal is better than your clubs sex criminal

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Lol that owns

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I understand modding an Internet forum of people all across the globe is difficult and the mods here are good lads who mean well so I’m not bitter about eating a 24 hour probe for this, but did want to make it clear that my post was a reference to the famous viral tweet below:

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/746803108949409793?s=20&t=SGOvyfjX7spWysHe21izLw

I guess it’s better to err on the side of caution generally, but for god’s sake I do not believe that it actually “owns” that a DV victim is getting back with her abuser and rapist, likely under intense pressure from a variety of sources. Everyone please calm down and report back to your normal posting stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mickolution posted:

What's left on his contract?

Until 2025 with a 1 year extension beyond that the club can automatically trigger