Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

univbee posted:

The 360 era was extremely weird for updates:

- There was a bit of a mandate for a long time that all 360 games had to be fully playable off disc without any local storage other than for save files, with update sizes being capped at 64 megabytes. Some "bigger" online games circumvented some of these requirements by having "compatibility pack" free DLC that includes more significant changes and content updates, but required real storage which was extremely expensive for what you were getting especially since the hard drive modules were proprietary. You could eventually use USB sticks and external hard drives but this came very late and was still not supported for all games; a few still required the official Microsoft internal storage. While I think Microsoft sold 360s that only had 64 or 256 megabytes of flash storage basically until the Xbox One launched, even at launch it was universally considered critical to avoid these SKUs and only buy the ones that had full hard drives in them, because doing that directly was far cheaper than doing the upgrade later down the line.
- Microsoft had a policy wherein developers could push one free update post-launch, and every update beyond that had a flat administrative fee of I think $30,000usd. Chump change for Call of Duty and similar AAA-tier games, but a ton of indies had issues with known trivial fixes that just never got fixed due to this policy.

So the Orange Box bundle on PS3 and 360 are interesting time capsules, along with a few other games, specifically because they didn't get the updates that completely reinvented TF2 like what happened on PC.
The 360 version of TF2 also had the unique issue that it only barely fit in the Xbox 360's 512mb of RAM with the vanilla content, and even then only once they lowered the maximum player count.

The PS3 version... was outsourced to EA UK, who I think got moved onto the Harry Potter games or something after like one patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Out of that whole 360 list the only that caused me fo-mo was Jet Set so I grabbed that. I either owned or didnt care for the others

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Alright so If I want to buy skate 2 before it's delisted how do I do that? I can't online I need to access a 360?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
You should be able to buy it via a web browser, just make sure you're on the marketplace.xbox.com site.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There might be some specific browser combination that works but it always hangs on the purchase screen for me.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Seltzer posted:

Alright so If I want to buy skate 2 before it's delisted how do I do that? I can't online I need to access a 360?

I just clicked the linked post itt

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

There might be some specific browser combination that works but it always hangs on the purchase screen for me.

Skill issue

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Meh it took me two tries. First time it showed me card, I clocked purchase and it hung on a page before saying No Payment Method Selected.

Tried it again and bingo bongo bango worked

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

The Kins posted:

The 360 version of TF2 also had the unique issue that it only barely fit in the Xbox 360's 512mb of RAM with the vanilla content, and even then only once they lowered the maximum player count.

The PS3 version... was outsourced to EA UK, who I think got moved onto the Harry Potter games or something after like one patch.

that era was pretty wild. I vaguely remember something about EA doing a copyright claim on an orange box video on youtube that was on Valve's own channel. Many lols were had.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Seltzer posted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
purchasing things on the "old" playstation store after they fully switched to the new one requires a god dang NASA degree!!!

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Feels Villeneuve posted:

purchasing things on the "old" playstation store after they fully switched to the new one requires a god dang NASA degree!!!

Luckily PlayStation has no games

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Alright cool, Skate 2 secured. The only thing I cared about on that list.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Copped an OLED switch…. Xbox is finished bro

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Why would you buy a switch 6 years into its life cycle. Things gonna be obsolete next year.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Wiltsghost posted:

Why would you buy a switch 6 years into its life cycle. Things gonna be obsolete next year.

The OLED switch ch just dropped bro. And I have a whole catalog of win games to explore…..my failbox is what… two years old? And not s si Nile game except fail games that lean heavily on violence as a replacement for good gameplay

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
*Fires up Vampire Survivors based on recommendations*

*30 seconds in* "What is this poo poo?"

*4 hours later*

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BonoMan posted:

*4 hours later*

this is The Arc

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

BonoMan posted:

*4 hours later*
Seemingly the onl game on Xbox worth playing is a mobile game

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

BonoMan posted:

*4 hours later*

Yup. I quit about 30 seconds in because I thought the game was bugged since I couldn't control my weapons.

Now it's the only game I've ever 100%ed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nom epique posted:

The OLED switch ch just dropped bro. And I have a whole catalog of win games to explore…..my failbox is what… two years old? And not s si Nile game except fail games that lean heavily on violence as a replacement for good gameplay

Semper games, bud

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Can anyone name a single game that even makes use of Xbox supposedly good graphics?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hitman 3 looks good

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

AoE2 on console is surprisingly awesome. Automating the villager management really cuts down on the hassle. I did two solo comp stomps tonight, gonna try some real multiplayer tomorrow.

I haven't gotten the hang of selecting military units. I normally have two or three groups assigned to numbers, but I haven't seen a great way to do that here. I guess the Find menu by type is close enough? Need to play around with that more.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

nom epique posted:

Can anyone name a single game that even makes use of Xbox supposedly good graphics?

Plague Tale, Hifi Rush, Metro Exodus, FH5 off the top of my head

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010
Only with the power of xbox game pass you can finally play the hot new release goldeneye the way it was always meant to be played

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

nom epique posted:

witcher 3 free next gen update op

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Frame rates are graphics, no matter what some ancient computer janitor goon tries to tell you. Try Resident Evil 2

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Frame rates are graphics, no matter what some ancient computer janitor goon tries to tell you. Try Resident Evil 2

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ok, so now I have a Series X in the living room and my old OneX in the office. Only one XBLU membership/account though. Am I correct that there's no way to be playing games on both consoles at the same time? Even if one of the games is one I purchased (ie: not a GamePass game)??

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

OldSenileGuy posted:

Ok, so now I have a Series X in the living room and my old OneX in the office. Only one XBLU membership/account though. Am I correct that there's no way to be playing games on both consoles at the same time? Even if one of the games is one I purchased (ie: not a GamePass game)??

Your "home" console can load anything you own or on game pass without requiring you to login. Other consoles require your account to be logged in.

So you play via your non home system and someone else plays on the home system and you both play at the same time. You can even have yourself just signed in on the background of the non home system and the active account can play your things too.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

ColdPie posted:

AoE2 on console is surprisingly awesome. Automating the villager management really cuts down on the hassle. I did two solo comp stomps tonight, gonna try some real multiplayer tomorrow.

I haven't gotten the hang of selecting military units. I normally have two or three groups assigned to numbers, but I haven't seen a great way to do that here. I guess the Find menu by type is close enough? Need to play around with that more.

When you activate advanced controls, there is something called control groups. I think you can assign units to them and hotkey them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nom epique posted:

do not reply to this sony user

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

BonoMan posted:

*4 hours later*

I still need to go through this process.

Is monster hunter rise gameplay worth sitting through the cats riding dogs and twin schoolgirl stuff for?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Crafty posted:

Is monster hunter gameplay worth

Yes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crafty posted:

Is monster hunter rise gameplay worth sitting through the cats riding dogs and twin schoolgirl stuff for?

No

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

When you activate advanced controls, there is something called control groups. I think you can assign units to them and hotkey them.

Are advanced controls in settings somewhere? I didn't see it.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

American McGay posted:

I use Firefox and was able to buy Spelunky but I had the same brief issue Beastie had. Kinda tempted to grab Jet Set Radio too if that's leaving as well. Shame they could never work out BC for Jet Set Radio Future despite actively trying, makes me wonder if they tried for Burnout 3 and hit a similar roadblock? Licensed songs would be an issue but EA just seems to have contempt for the IP as well. Who knows though maybe with Dead Space being such a successful remaster and the NFS series continuing to be bad they might maybe consider a Burnout 3 remaster? Just get new songs or enable custom soundtracks or something.

Speaking of Dead Space btw I was really excited for Callisto Protocol because it looked great but I saw people saying it's not very good did they somehow screw it up?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

ColdPie posted:

Are advanced controls in settings somewhere? I didn't see it.

Under Options -> Interface, there's a Standard/Advanced toggle. It's down a little ways and easy to miss.

I highly recommend the William Wallace campaign for the control lessons alone. Advanced controls tutorial is in mission 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crafty posted:

If you didn't like the elf shrine maidens then I really don't know what to tell you. Besides put the game in JA because the English VA is insanely, insanely bad. Like seriously play through to the first or second task and if it doesn't suck you in idk what to say.

Probably look up how weapons work online though because I discovered today that long sword actually has more than two attacks and you aren't really supposed to use the default ones. It has like combos that you unleash by building up a meter. It doesn't explain this anywhere that I can tell, despite the game having 30,0000 tutorials that pop up and pause the game.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 3, 2023