Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Saturday meetings blow to the point I post in the wrong thread. 2 goddamn hours of reading a powerpoint slide off. And one hour to get there. And of course we don't get paid travel time.

Boss is moving me 10 miles north of my current base, so not as bad as could be, but still bad. Horrible parking in this new locale, and a low wall around all the lot so backing the very large van in is a challenge not to hit the loving wall every day.

Apparently one good thing we learned post meeting, and not sure if this applies everywhere, but one of the carpool dudes used to be a store manager, and he let us know if we ever, ever have an issue to take to HR, don't take it to our district HR person: you call the main HR line and grab whoever answers first. Do not talk to your district HR rep, because they know all the managers in their district, have gone on retreats with them, etc. A HR rep from out of state hasn't, and won't be all buddy buddy with a complaint. Sounds about right for HR.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Last night was loving StupidTM, but hey, That's Amazon!TM *Laugh track plays*

Y'all might have heard that North Texas got blasted by a wintry mix that shut down a lot of it (and therefore a lot of Amazon). Texas just ain't built for winter so ice on the roads (that actually sticks) shuts down everything. Even people who can drive on icy roads stay in because the alternative is getting on the roads with a bunch of idiots who think their big bro-truck's "four wheel drive" button means "Magical traction device".

Well the plan before the wintry blast was to hand out a lot of VTO and days sure enough got it so only a skeleton crew came in. But then the news finally penetrated management's thick skulls and Swing shift (2/3 day shift and 1/3 night shift) got only the first 2/3 of their shift off. Nights was supposed to get a bunch of that juicy time off only for it all to be cancelled.

Since the FCs up north are shut down and we're just south enough to get "Miserably cold and wet" but not "freezing" weather we have to make up. The system decide we'll do that via transship. A fuckton of Transship. No, even more Transship.

We've told Central Flow time and time again "No, we cannot handle the amount of work you try to shove through our Transship dock. We only have one pallet building robot, we only have so much space for other people to work, we only have so much storage space on the dock." Central Flow keeps telling us "We have our numbers on what you can do, reality doesn't matter" and demands that poo poo anyways.

We got so much Transship the entire building locked up. The pack departments all starved and then finally shut down for over an hour as the router was blown out all the way to the warehouse's inventory floors with totes that needed to go down to the Transship section of the dock but could only be handled at merely mortal speeds.

I asked someone in the know of if we packed more or less goods than if we'd just gone with the original VTO plan and he just started laughing. "Less. So much less. They spent more money moving less product than if we stuck to the original plan."

HazCat
May 4, 2009

In the past two days, my store made $150,000 in sales. One of those days was a record day in the 20 year history of the store, with $94,000 in sales.

We also nearly doubled the donations we took in for our monthly charity compared to our historic record. We had nearly 1 in 4 customers donate some amount of money over both days, while most other stores were getting between 1 in 30 and 1 in 15.

But we missed our monthly budget by $100 + change, so my store manager is going to get a dressing down for not pushing the store harder, and we'll probably have hours cut to 'encourage' him to push the misery downhill.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

HazCat posted:

In the past two days, my store made $150,000 in sales. One of those days was a record day in the 20 year history of the store, with $94,000 in sales.

We also nearly doubled the donations we took in for our monthly charity compared to our historic record. We had nearly 1 in 4 customers donate some amount of money over both days, while most other stores were getting between 1 in 30 and 1 in 15.

But we missed our monthly budget by $100 + change, so my store manager is going to get a dressing down for not pushing the store harder, and we'll probably have hours cut to 'encourage' him to push the misery downhill.

i hate this so much

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

HazCat posted:

:laffo: I've never taken a daily sales discussion seriously in my life. Maybe if I literally owned the store and had a direct hand in the cash flow.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
We have a nationwide conference call tomorrow. All hands on.

I suspect it's one of the following:

1. They're closing our delivery routes.

2. They're making us contractors instead of benefitted employees.

3. Some new bigwig is in charge and got a huge raise.

4. Pizza party?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
All of the above!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

HazCat posted:

If that SM was on top of things he would have purchased, himself, $101 worth of product to ensure his job (and probably bonus). Or they are just full of poo poo and trying to get you to work more...

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

All of the above!

Is looking like one or two at this point. I don't think the company expected anyone to check their email early, but I usually check mine on lunch, and a very long consolidation email was sent out from the CEO explaining how to streamline processes sometimes sacrifices must be made etc etc we all love you this is so hard to let people go but how else can the CEO keep buying poo poo, but I'm imagining the conference call today is either going to tell us all we've lost our jobs due to this cost saving measure, or something along that effect.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah it's either you're fired or great news you're not fired, your workload is just being doubled

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

We have a nationwide conference call tomorrow. All hands on.

I suspect it's one of the following:

1. They're closing our delivery routes.

2. They're making us contractors instead of benefitted employees.

3. Some new bigwig is in charge and got a huge raise.

4. Pizza party?

Everyone gets a personal pizza! Open up your box!

Those who got pepperoni, please join us for more celebrations at this new call ID.

Those of you who got mushroom skulls with black olive eyes, well, we had a great time together but we had to let you go.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Trastion posted:

If that SM was on top of things he would have purchased, himself, $101 worth of product to ensure his job (and probably bonus). Or they are just full of poo poo and trying to get you to work more...

The SM wasn't in the store at close (and likely thought we wouldn't get anywhere close to budget based on our morning trade). Part of the reason he's so mad now is probably because he realises he should have done exactly this :v:

But instead the store wasn't even closed by a full manager. It was closed by a keyholder, who very likely didn't even have $101 in their bank account to cover the charge even if they had thought to do this (and even if they were confident they wouldn't get punished for it).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

I did this once. 10ish years ago the store I worked had had 10% tiers on commissions, store level. And the store was $150 short on the last day of the month.

So I bought $150 worth of Accys. Then 5 days later returned it and hoped we didn’t have a narrow gap for that month.

The only reason not to is if the company catches it and decides to use it to fire you.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Democratic Pirate posted:

Everyone gets a personal pizza! Open up your box!

Those who got pepperoni, please join us for more celebrations at this new call ID.

Those of you who got mushroom skulls with black olive eyes, well, we had a great time together but we had to let you go.

I wish I got the pizza. I was on the call where we keep our pepperoni, for now. In another month, who knows. I kinda wonder who was on that call versus the other one.

I knew it was going to be bad news when the call started with "because you are an attendee, your mic has been muted."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cowslips Warren posted:

I wish I got the pizza. I was on the call where we keep our pepperoni, for now. In another month, who knows. I kinda wonder who was on that call versus the other one.

I knew it was going to be bad news when the call started with "because you are an attendee, your mic has been muted."

If there's more than a few people on a call, that's really more of a sanity choice than an indictment. Imagine trying to announce something and then the toilet flushes on top of you speaking, and then a vacuum cleaner turns on, all while a child screams.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

If there's more than a few people on a call, that's really more of a sanity choice than an indictment. Imagine trying to announce something and then the toilet flushes on top of you speaking, and then a vacuum cleaner turns on, all while a child screams.

or the tv because you're not even going to pretend to pay attention and have just logged into the call so you show up. Ugh there were a couple covid calls in 2020 that I had to attend, all of which could have been a loving email

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I just don't understand it. I've mentioned in the past we have two kinds of deliveries: today/one day and then store to store. The latter is mostly supply runs and the former is where the money is. As in you want a one day order, it can be about $40 for one package. But of the two, the head branch is cutting the one day. As in we are closing everything down. So 95% of the staff is out of a job now, all assistant managers are gone, over half managers are out too.

We had 22 drivers on our Saturday meeting where all the talk was about new customers and plans for future locations and moving people around. And today, almost everyone is gone. There might be 8 of us left.

But the cut isn't happening tomorrow. The end of March I believe is when everything is phased out entirely but for us few, and even that isn't set in stone. I just don't get the why. How can the one day be losing money when we have been understaffed for loving months and have tons of orders and everyone was getting forced overtime? There was so much to do and not enough hands on deck, so the solution is to gut it all.

One day has been around for a loving decade. But I guess I don't have to bitch about the boss moving us a few miles up the road when he might just order everyone left to report to our central hub 40 miles away instead.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Amazon Status: LOL, LMAO.

We should have been closed on the 31st. While we weren't in the bad, bad weather San Marcos was close enough to get ugly enough weather. Especially considering how many of our workers commute from either San Antonio or Austin. Senior Management didn't do jack poo poo except say over and over again "We're monitoring the situation!" and "Do what's best for you!" on the virtual "Voice of the Associate" board that's usually ignored but is currently blowing up.

Everyone who didn't come in or left early got their time excused.

Cue the 1st. The weather's not as bad, still wet but right above the freezing point. Everyone's still pissed because another wave of freezing rain is going to come through and stick to our cars, trees, etc. Everyone's afraid they'll be in a wreck with some bro-dozer who thinks "HEMI 4x4" means their truck has a magical traction device made out of pixie dust and the giggles of babies.

I notice that one of my backups isn't in: Mr. Responsible, who has all the time in the world to take the last day of his shift off if the weather is poo poo and he wants to. Libertarian Grouch, my usual backup/replacement, doesn't want to be here. Nor does the guy who he acts as a ride for. I convince them to leave just over an hour into shift, citing yesterday and how time off was excused and how the VOA board is still blowing up about "WTF, this is bullshit! I'm not coming in!" The last backup...I have no contact with but this place is a loving ghost town. Better than a coin-flip odds he didn't come in.

Cue me rubbing my hands together with evil intent, planning to leave early with no backups to do my job that must be staffed or all hell breaks loose. I tell my assistant manager (My department's manager recently promoted so there's no one between the assistant manager and the manager's manager) I'm leaving at midnight.

"Cool! Just wait until after break to put in the time!"

"W-wait, I'm pretty sure I have no backup. Who'll run Jackpot?"

"We'll figure things out!" With the biggest, poo poo-eating grin I've ever seen on him.

Basically turns out floor management didn't want to be here either and were conspiring to announce that tonight's attendance is excused and won't cost any time in the way most guaranteed to have everyone just walk out the door. The quicker they got us out the door, the quicker they got to go home themselves. As Mr. Quietly Important, me announcing I was leaving too only made their case to shut down everything stronger.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Volmarias posted:

Yup. Auto-mute is completely normal and highly recommended for large (5+) calls.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Man, they must really be worried about someone shooting up a place, I've got two emails so far about reaching out to HR and mental health hotlines, and all kinds of assuring words with buzzwords about productivity and how hard this decision was, and how we are a team and a family and all the usual garbage.

At this point I'm kind of wishing there was just a line about please don't shoot up your workplace, we don't need the bad press.

Only at the very end of the email today was there a mention not to tell any customers that we are closing the doors down. Probably should have mentioned that yesterday, you idiots.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I feel like you should be actively job hunting at this point.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh trust me I have been for a while.

Anyone else find it funny that when the word recession pops up, poo poo gets cut like crazy, hours, employees, but when profits are record high, companies act like they will never drop?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

I just don't understand it. I've mentioned in the past we have two kinds of deliveries: today/one day and then store to store. The latter is mostly supply runs and the former is where the money is. As in you want a one day order, it can be about $40 for one package. But of the two, the head branch is cutting the one day. As in we are closing everything down. So 95% of the staff is out of a job now, all assistant managers are gone, over half managers are out too.

We had 22 drivers on our Saturday meeting where all the talk was about new customers and plans for future locations and moving people around. And today, almost everyone is gone. There might be 8 of us left.

But the cut isn't happening tomorrow. The end of March I believe is when everything is phased out entirely but for us few, and even that isn't set in stone. I just don't get the why. How can the one day be losing money when we have been understaffed for loving months and have tons of orders and everyone was getting forced overtime? There was so much to do and not enough hands on deck, so the solution is to gut it all.

One day has been around for a loving decade. But I guess I don't have to bitch about the boss moving us a few miles up the road when he might just order everyone left to report to our central hub 40 miles away instead.

Wait, so what the hell jobs are left to do, and with 95% staff cut how are you expected to handle the work load ?

drat dude, this sucks , sorry to hear it. Wish you the best.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Wait, so what the hell jobs are left to do, and with 95% staff cut how are you expected to handle the work load ?

drat dude, this sucks , sorry to hear it. Wish you the best.

Company wide about 95% of the department I work for is going to be gone, all over the US. But I think after the conference call today, if you are one of the people that's being let go, you have to stay on until the end of March in order to get your severance package. There's no information about or for the people that aren't in the cuts, other than to just wait and make sure to be safe above all, and don't let all the chaos bog you down. Concentrate on your driving and don't think about anything else. Yeah good luck with that.

Sorry if the above posts were unclear, still trying to figure out how we're not turning a profit after 10 years of madness and nonstop orders.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

executive payouts

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Cowslips Warren posted:

Oh trust me I have been for a while.

Anyone else find it funny that when the word recession pops up, poo poo gets cut like crazy, hours, employees, but when profits are record high, companies act like they will never drop?

well its both now. record profits + word recession

almost like those stock buybacks and passing the costs onto consumers is causing said rescission.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Company wide about 95% of the department I work for is going to be gone, all over the US. But I think after the conference call today, if you are one of the people that's being let go, you have to stay on until the end of March in order to get your severance package. There's no information about or for the people that aren't in the cuts, other than to just wait and make sure to be safe above all, and don't let all the chaos bog you down. Concentrate on your driving and don't think about anything else. Yeah good luck with that.

Sorry if the above posts were unclear, still trying to figure out how we're not turning a profit after 10 years of madness and nonstop orders.

They just want to see how many people quit and whether the business can function without them.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
edit: somehow posted in the wrong thread

Star Man fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 3, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Did that one boomer dipshit you kept having to ride with get cut?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Agents are GO! posted:

Did that one boomer dipshit you kept having to ride with get cut?

Not yet.

It sucks though. We can't say poo poo to our customers, and while some of them are assholes, others are cool and I've known for 5 years or more. I think a few of them think something was up because everyone was pretty pissed or quiet since the news broke, and I stopped caring about poo poo being labeled.

Daily word to hate: Transition team.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
So, ordering used to be entirely and in-store sort of thing. Folks in-store would set minimum and maximum order amounts for the system to go by, and then manually adjust it when it suggested something completely hosed, and orders always needed to be OK'd by a human. If you needed an order done in a way the system couldn't handle automatically, you'd walk a minute to one of the folks with deep system access who'd rig the order up for you and it'd all be good.

In March they're going to transition us entirely to an automated system where we have minimum ability to affect it, almost zero in the store, in fact, and it's going to do its ordering based on "historical data" in addition to the set minimums. Combined with us having notably less actual storage space after a "renovation"(a top-down micromanaged pile of poo poo where they never asked anyone who actually had to loving WORK in the store for any input, assholes), I look forward to the new holy grail of ordering flipping its lid and burying us in trash orders at some point. Additionally, anything we need changed or specially handled, we now have to contact someone at head office in the other end of the country, who'll also be handling stuff from every other store in the chain, which means lmao, nothing's gonna loving happen and what happens isn't going to work right.

I know the idiot goons over at head office, except for the people working with the web shop, they're all the most hopeless bunch of unmotivated loser idiots who have zero interest in doing a good job and zero compassion for the fact that their dumbass decisions are causing headaches for us in the stores.

It's going to be so hosed, all of it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, we did that a number of years ago and backstock went out of control. Way too much of stuff that may sell nationally but not at our store, and too little of the items we actually move.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

We briefly did it at Mcdonalds too and ran out of buns at least once a week.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Is this where a month or two after the change, Corporate starts screaming at the store about the numbers being down? And they won’t take the obvious answer of “The automated system keeps sending us everything we already have stocked to the rafters (including all the end caps and every spare square inch of space), and only up to the barest minimum of what we actually sell”. Instead they blame the front line workers for not greeting the customers or something equally stupid.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

They did that to us too but we still have to do nightly counts. Cue nothing having an accurate inventory because I'm counting it as either 99 ("literally never send me this garbage") or 0 ("you haven't sent any onions all week, please I'm begging you"). During the ordering changeover they also switched our warehouse to one that's further away and even less capable of sending the things we need.

And if we ever have any problems, the systems people "at" the office are available from like 8am to 12pm, mon-fri. Sales change over on weekends. All the problems come up on weekends. Literally useless.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

PurpleXVI posted:

So, ordering used to be entirely and in-store sort of thing. Folks in-store would set minimum and maximum order amounts for the system to go by, and then manually adjust it when it suggested something completely hosed, and orders always needed to be OK'd by a human. If you needed an order done in a way the system couldn't handle automatically, you'd walk a minute to one of the folks with deep system access who'd rig the order up for you and it'd all be good.

In March they're going to transition us entirely to an automated system where we have minimum ability to affect it, almost zero in the store, in fact, and it's going to do its ordering based on "historical data" in addition to the set minimums. Combined with us having notably less actual storage space after a "renovation"(a top-down micromanaged pile of poo poo where they never asked anyone who actually had to loving WORK in the store for any input, assholes), I look forward to the new holy grail of ordering flipping its lid and burying us in trash orders at some point. Additionally, anything we need changed or specially handled, we now have to contact someone at head office in the other end of the country, who'll also be handling stuff from every other store in the chain, which means lmao, nothing's gonna loving happen and what happens isn't going to work right.

I know the idiot goons over at head office, except for the people working with the web shop, they're all the most hopeless bunch of unmotivated loser idiots who have zero interest in doing a good job and zero compassion for the fact that their dumbass decisions are causing headaches for us in the stores.

It's going to be so hosed, all of it.

Your store is now entering its terminal death spiral. Start applying to other jobs.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

we've been doing auto ordering for a little bit now and I think its nice. it's not accurate, but it puts all the responsibility of ordering on The System, which is run by a bunch of corporate nepotism cases who I couldn't give less of a poo poo about. if we run out of anything and our DM comes in we can be like "well talk to Layklynn or Skylyr or whoever at the main office and ask them why their ordering system sucks lol"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Speaking of ordering fuckery, it wasn't until last week I finally got some drat cleaner after nearly 6 weeks. In that time I've been mixing whatever chemical compound we had in the building or sanitizer water to clean stuff. I intentionally held off on asking about it because surely someone else would notice, surely someone else would've needed the cleaner. Or they would've noticed they haven't ordered any in a while and think "wait, did it last this long?" Or, you know, notice that there is a single bottle in the closet.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I'm old enough to remember when Walmart went hard on "the computer does everything, from ordering to schedules" and how much of a poo poo show that was at the store level. No staffing at the busiest times, piles of crap that we had no clue why the system ordered it, the refusal to schedule people who weren't available 24/7/365 because it just could figure out poo poo like "Tom has classes at noon on Tuesday and Thursday, so he either works a split or not at all".

Where I'm at now our Lead writes the schedule every week, which almost never changed unless someone takes an extended bit of PTO. Go figure, a human being can write a schedule that's flexible and doesn't have to completely change every week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Leal posted:

Speaking of ordering fuckery, it wasn't until last week I finally got some drat cleaner after nearly 6 weeks. In that time I've been mixing whatever chemical compound we had in the building or sanitizer water to clean stuff. I intentionally held off on asking about it because surely someone else would notice, surely someone else would've needed the cleaner. Or they would've noticed they haven't ordered any in a while and think "wait, did it last this long?" Or, you know, notice that there is a single bottle in the closet.

From personal experience the fact that you notice things like that makes you in the top like 30% of workers. You might think 'oh I'm average and anyone would notice'. Wrong lots and lots of people are Stupid As gently caress or don't care past filling their timesheet.

The bar is so very very low