Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I had someone tell me today they would have guessed my age as 27/28 when I turn 35 in a month. Not sure if it's because I'm a man child or if I look younger but I'm gonna assume it's the latter.

Yeah I’m 37 but look late 20s, prolly cause I’m a shut in who avoids the sun haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Do you guys have natural gas lines that pipe right into homes? My friend has 3 points out door got a BBQ, outdoor for a water heater and their stove.

The other way we have it is gas bottles that are like the a foot wide and a metre tall that a company comes and changes.

Wheee
https://abc7news.com/pge-fine-pacific-gas-and-electric-san-bruno-fire-explosion/1722674/

This was back when we were all mad at PG&E for merely killing a handful of people and only destroying a dozen or so houses. After the Paradise fire some folks have forgotten these relatively small potatoes.

But yeah my home state is riddled with aging poorly maintained high pressure natural gas lines right under our homes, and yes we do have loads of massive earthquakes, I'm sure these aren't a problem though.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Ye loving gods, 5th circuit, what you doing

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
My country is on fire with gun violence, a little help here?

5th Cir.: I BROUGHT YUO THIS FIREHOSE THAT SPRAYS GASOLINE JSUT STAND BACK HERE WE GO

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Cunk on Earth on Netflix is legit hilarious

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

Wheee
https://abc7news.com/pge-fine-pacific-gas-and-electric-san-bruno-fire-explosion/1722674/

This was back when we were all mad at PG&E for merely killing a handful of people and only destroying a dozen or so houses. After the Paradise fire some folks have forgotten these relatively small potatoes.

But yeah my home state is riddled with aging poorly maintained high pressure natural gas lines right under our homes, and yes we do have loads of massive earthquakes, I'm sure these aren't a problem though.

Once again if they didn't kill people I'd be impressed at this. They caused millions of dollars worth of damage in order to try to cash out on like a 300k insurance policy or something.

Oh wait we're talking about different natural gas explosions maybe. The one I'm talking about was intentional as insurance fraud, but probably not intentional to the level it ended up being.

e: yeah different explosions, this is the one I was thinking of https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/indy-house-explosion-jury-finds-man-guilty-deadly-insurance-scam-n525216

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 3, 2023

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Grittybeard posted:

Once again if they didn't kill people I'd be impressed at this. They caused millions of dollars worth of damage in order to try to cash out on like a 300k insurance policy or something.

Oh wait we're talking about different natural gas explosions maybe. The one I'm talking about was intentional as insurance fraud, but probably not intentional to the level it ended up being.

e: yeah different explosions, this is the one I was thinking of https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/indy-house-explosion-jury-finds-man-guilty-deadly-insurance-scam-n525216

Yes, you’re thinking about the Richmond Hill explosion in Indianapolis, which featured the perpetrators being cartoonishly suspicious before blowing their house and 32 others to kingdom come

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leperflesh posted:

Wheee

I remember this, I was buying a six pack at my corner store when it happened. The explosion was big enough people thought someone crashed a Cesna or some other small plane into a gas station at first.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

How she doesn't break down every loving line I don't know. My face hurt at the end of the first ep.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Leperflesh posted:

Wheee

I lived a mile away from there when it happened. I recall all sorts of weird community support from all of the shops and restaurants, like a dentist giving free cleanings to people impacted. It is a nice gesture, but not sure it replaces your blown up house.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

After seeing snow twice in my life living in SoCal and moving to the mountains a couple years ago, holy gently caress my deck is duct. 17 inches of solid ice

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

I love how all of the surrounding houses are relatively unscathed aside from probably windows, and all of the garage doors being like “nope”

Also in my area I think houses built from like the 40s/50s up through probably the 70s have gas lines (my nightmare house that I thankfully got hosed out of had gas run into the kitchen and out to the garage was built in 61) but houses built from the 80s onwards seem to be equipped with electric only

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Most major cities in Japan are also natural gas pipes to (many/most) apartment complexes and homes, yes it’s also an insanely earthquake-prone location why do you ask? :v:

If we ever build a place/have to renovate, I’ll drop induction electric in. Otherwise just always running the fan when the stovetop is on, and we have checks of the fire and gas alarms every few months, so as long as that still works it’s some comfort.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Joey Freshwater posted:

:yeah:

Well, haven't started watching the Netflix series yet but the web shorts that came out a while ago were all really good. Is Barry Shitpeas also in this one?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Quiet Feet posted:

:yeah:

Well, haven't started watching the Netflix series yet but the web shorts that came out a while ago were all really good. Is Barry Shitpeas also in this one?

I’ve only seen the first episode so far but like Blindsite said it’s amazing she doesn’t break.

quote:

Greece was where the birth of civilisation was born. The ancient Greeks invented many things we still have today, like medicine and olives. And lots of things that have died out, like democracy and pillars.

Had me in stitches. Her delivery is amazing

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'd never heard of Philomena Cunk until the Youtube algorithm suspiciously fell in love with her a couple of months ago. Really funny poo poo, though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Still working my way through Nixonland and discovered this: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6225/spiro-t-agnew-american-history-challenge

Now I must own it to find out Spiro T Agnew's take on American History.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

In Mass in 2018, there was excessive pressure in the pipes and Columbia Gas blew up 40 homes over 3 towns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrimack_Valley_gas_explosions

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I want somebody to design an induction stove-compatible wok that can get as hot as one that works on natural gas.

I'm still jealous of my cousin building an outdoor kitchen with one of those restaurant-level gas burner for using a wok.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Good morning thread, get in the loving GYM AUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHHHH Rich Piana died for your sins

https://twitter.com/tomiwabawore/status/1494407328401170433?s=46&t=yng_e7OHZcpm0An7uK4igg

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
My sinuses aren't super congested but are so inflamed rn. I was feeling better yesterday and didn't sleep well overnight, so now feeling much worse. Still waiting to hear back from doc to try and get paxlovid script but drat is COVID no loving joke.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Just had to sit through a corporate meeting where they spent 2 minutes just mentioning using AI like Chat GPT to enhance our product and I'm wondering real hard if we had one of these last year where they said that about the blockchain.

There is 0% chance they'll actually do this, I was just sitting there chatting with my fellow proggies and we're all very confused what they think they could possibly do with it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

Good morning thread, get in the loving GYM AUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHHHH Rich Piana died for your sins

https://twitter.com/tomiwabawore/status/1494407328401170433?s=46&t=yng_e7OHZcpm0An7uK4igg

:stonk:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

I really though this was going to be a catastrophic injury when I saw the AUGH and Fiz's :stonk: reaction.

Unreal.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Android Apocalypse posted:

I want somebody to design an induction stove-compatible wok that can get as hot as one that works on natural gas.

I'm still jealous of my cousin building an outdoor kitchen with one of those restaurant-level gas burner for using a wok.

Unexpectedly our wok does work on the induction stove, but we don't have proper ventilation for me to try getting it that hot. We got an outdoor propane ring to do our frying outside, so I'm going to do the same thing with that (in a few months when it's not -7F).

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Neil Armbong posted:

My sinuses aren't super congested but are so inflamed rn. I was feeling better yesterday and didn't sleep well overnight, so now feeling much worse. Still waiting to hear back from doc to try and get paxlovid script but drat is COVID no loving joke.

Did you say you got it for the first time ever? I’m also still recovering after getting it for the first time, I tested positive from like the 16th through the 27th so lol, lmao at the CDCs updated 4 day quarantine guidelines. Sleep was also my biggest problem, I was only really sick enough to call in to work despite working from home for two, three days but just felt lovely for days and days afterwards and still am not 100%. I felt like if I could just get a solid square 9 hours of sleep I’d recover better, but I was only getting like 6. I’m finally feeling just “okay” today but I’m still taking it easy for the foreseeable future. And this is all with like four vaccines in me including the omicron booster lol, gently caress even thinking about raw dogging covid

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kalli posted:

Just had to sit through a corporate meeting where they spent 2 minutes just mentioning using AI like Chat GPT to enhance our product and I'm wondering real hard if we had one of these last year where they said that about the blockchain.

Way back when, I ran web marketing for a convention & visitors bureau. We had a new VP of marketing come in, and he had no tourism background whatsoever, it was entirely in CPG, companies like Rayovac and Heinz. Anyway, on his second day, he calls me into his office and chews my rear end out for five solid minutes because we didn't have any presence on Google+.

This was in 2012.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

T-Square posted:

Did you say you got it for the first time ever? I’m also still recovering after getting it for the first time, I tested positive from like the 16th through the 27th so lol, lmao at the CDCs updated 4 day quarantine guidelines. Sleep was also my biggest problem, I was only really sick enough to call in to work despite working from home for two, three days but just felt lovely for days and days afterwards and still am not 100%. I felt like if I could just get a solid square 9 hours of sleep I’d recover better, but I was only getting like 6. I’m finally feeling just “okay” today but I’m still taking it easy for the foreseeable future. And this is all with like four vaccines in me including the omicron booster lol, gently caress even thinking about raw dogging covid

yep, firs time. and that tracks. i feel like if i was sleeping better it would help so much.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/Stoltzy3/status/1621409708501344257

https://twitter.com/culvers/status/1621543452692340737

I love you Giannis I love you Culver's.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

drat, now I want Culver's, but there aren't any by my work. Why would you curse me like that man?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Unexpectedly our wok does work on the induction stove, but we don't have proper ventilation for me to try getting it that hot. We got an outdoor propane ring to do our frying outside, so I'm going to do the same thing with that (in a few months when it's not -7F).

They actually make induction wok burners. You can get standalone ones. If you wok often, then they're definitely worth it.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I went to an office yesterday to give a training and none of the staff have the right permissions in our database to do the thing I'm training them on, so it was kind of a waste of time. I have to go back when IT fixes it and I am kind of annoyed.

On the bright side my fluffy cat finally pooped out whatever thing with string he ate. He's been acting okay, eating well, not in pain and still playing so the vet told us to just watch him and take him in if he stopped eating, vomitted or screaming. I have never spent more time watching a cat use the litter box than the last two days.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Well it took less than a minute for the over-cube-wall discussion to go from "have you guys seen this Chinese balloon thing?" to "I think we should infect it with COVID and send it back to Wuhan".

Mr. Nice! posted:

They actually make induction wok burners. You can get standalone ones. If you wok often, then they're definitely worth it.

We've had the induction stove for 8 months and I have yet to use the wok on it, if that gives you an idea how often we wok. We should use it more, for sure. For the warm half of the year I'm planning to have the propane ring accessible in the garage. Wok I could even do on the deck by the grill instead of on the driveway where I used it to fry things.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Doing a load at a laundromat for the first time in over 10 years & while waiting for my clothes to dry, I head to a bar across the street to grab lunch.

Alas I missed the chance to capture ESPN showing the NFL Skills Competition. At least these fish sauce wings are pleasantly spicy.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

The update I received at work today regarding kitties getting comfortable cuddling near each other:

Also an important note with no photo evidence, Zoey (new kitty we've had for 3 months with the orange on her) licked Toby (gray boy facing the camera) on the head before laying down :3:

Quite the improvement from hissing on sight in November.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Neil Armbong posted:

yep, firs time. and that tracks. i feel like if i was sleeping better it would help so much.

I had my first confirmed bout right after chirstmas. It took about 3 days for my fevers to stop and after that I could sleep better. Still took about 10 days before I was back feeling alive enough to work and about another three or four days before I felt strong and good and able to work out. Once you can get a good restful sleep you'll kick back into gear.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

BlindSite posted:

I had my first confirmed bout right after chirstmas. It took about 3 days for my fevers to stop and after that I could sleep better. Still took about 10 days before I was back feeling alive enough to work and about another three or four days before I felt strong and good and able to work out. Once you can get a good restful sleep you'll kick back into gear.

That’s good to hear. Lost taste today and got a paxlovid script I’ll start today.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Neil Armbong posted:

That’s good to hear. Lost taste today and got a paxlovid script I’ll start today.

I dunno if it helped or if it didn't but I also picked up some vitamin D and was taking the max recommended daily dose. There's been some studies done that indicate it might be effective https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35166850/ but they're not confirmed but either way vitamin D costs very little and its not going to hurt you even if it doesn't help with the covid. I wasn't spending much time in the sun lying in bed feeling sorry for myself so if nothing else it'll help with winter etc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I prooooobably had covid last year and it took me three months before my sinuses and lungs fully cleared up and I stopped having those quiet little pops and crackles whenever I breathed out all the way, especially while lying down. I was on loradidine + sudafed and Alvesco inhaler plus they gave me an emergency inhaler I never needed too.

Now it's been a year and some of those symptoms are back and I'm like what the gently caress, did I get covid again last month or some poo poo? Or was it always some completely new batch of symptoms of seasonal allergies, which I've had all my life but never with this lung crackling poo poo? Or maybe just long covid is still hiding in me somehow?

Anyway gently caress this is all I'm saying. I'm not sick enough to not work but I'm not healthy enough to be having a fun time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hey, just posting this here in case you want to check your home address and see what your internet providers are saying they offer to your house.

https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov/home#/

I found out that our local company was saying they offered 1Gig fiber to our house and they do not. (I called and confirmed yesterday.) I read a story on Ars (https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/02/cable-company-tries-to-block-grants-to-rivals-by-lying-about-coverage-area/) about an ISP who lied to block others from grabbing federal grant funds. I’m not staying mine did that, but there’s no reason to list that you serve my house with technology and speeds that you do not.

Just check your house. It takes 30 seconds, and if there’s a provider who doesn’t offer the speeds or service they say they do, send an availability challenge!

I actually received a phone call from the FCC today about this, so someone is actually looking at this!