Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Welcome to the North of England friend.

If you're willing to live in a depressed former mining village with no jobs you can get a house for half that that isn't even a fixer upper

I grew up in a depressed mining village so already I love that life

It’s here in the south though so even though all the useful societal things are miles and miles away the houses are still priced hilariously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

History Comes Inside! posted:

The real treasure is the 2 bed semi for less than 10 years salary

Yeah that's standard for rural ayrshire.

The problem is no trains or buses or shops or anything else for that matter.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

It’s ten years ago but our three bedroom semi with detached garage, large garden and off-road parking for up to five cars cost us 90k. I knew there had to be a benefit to that entire twenty year span where no one did anything except moan about the pits closing.

In totally unrelated news, does anyone want two guinea pigs, brothers, free to a good home? They are beautiful little guys and I thought I’d offer just in case. I’m roughly in the chesterfield area (learnincurve im looking at you).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Sanford posted:

(learnincurve im looking at you).

*snake licks its lips*

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Mentioned it before, we sold 3 houses that were in a row in my lovely no where town for £120k total.
If they were located where I am now, they would be close to 700k euros.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

Yeah that's standard for rural ayrshire.

The problem is no trains or buses or shops or anything else for that matter.

Also high odds that your neighbour might be a former Ulster Loyalist terrorist

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I had two guinea pigs very similar in appearance when I was young, I called them Belka & Strelka after the Soviet space dogs. :ussr:

Once I went to uni though, they didn't last long as my parents have no idea how to treat pets (as previously mentioned) and they froze to death in their cage which the parents put outside in the winter instead of keeping in the warmer shed at the back of the house.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol my house is somewhere between €5-600k and it's a shitpile that we've made into an ok non-shitpile over the last couple years.

It's fine though, market will collapse fairly soon and it'll be worth half that :yaycloud:

E: at least there is stuff to do nearby tho

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 3, 2023

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

forkboy84 posted:

If you're willing to live in a depressed former mining village with no jobs you can get a house for half that that isn't even a fixer upper

Good news for the WFH crew

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's fine though, market will collapse fairly soon and it'll be worth half that :yaycloud:

Inshallah

As an aside, hate that Rightmove doesn't let you exclude auctions from search, because no, you're not actually selling me this for £3,500

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol my house is somewhere between €5-600k and it's a shitpile that we've made into an ok non-shitpile over the last couple years.

E: at least there is stuff to do nearby tho

Lol the housing market will never be ALLOWED to collapse, or there goes half the country’s ‘wealth’

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Noxville posted:

Lol the housing market will never be ALLOWED to collapse, or there goes half the country’s ‘wealth’

We're talking about different countries I guess but yeah true either way. But isn't the UK property market beginning to poo poo itself already?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

forkboy84 posted:

Inshallah

As an aside, hate that Rightmove doesn't let you exclude auctions from search, because no, you're not actually selling me this for £3,500

Just set a minimum price, also helps against garages mixed in with housing and such.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

On the subject of housing, I'm in the process of buying my first flat, but for the past eight years my bills have been rolled into the rental cost. So while I've had a decent stab at estimating costs, what would people estimate the cost would be per month for two people for water and electricity (no gas) at this moment in time?

Also, who's good for internet, is it still Zen? And are Plusnet any good, as I can get a minor discount through work with them?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

We're talking about different countries I guess but yeah true either way. But isn't the UK property market beginning to poo poo itself already?

The rising interest rates might start to impact house prices, but house prices have been growing at a silly rate for 30+ years and interest rates are only at around 2006 levels.

I'm sceptical that anyone will be willing to do the necessary and pop the bubble.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

On the subject of housing, I'm in the process of buying my first flat, but for the past eight years my bills have been rolled into the rental cost. So while I've had a decent stab at estimating costs, what would people estimate the cost would be per month for two people for water and electricity (no gas) at this moment in time?

Also, who's good for internet, is it still Zen? And are Plusnet any good, as I can get a minor discount through work with them?

For me, Water is £20 a month and electric/gas combined is £100, pure electric is usually less efficient so I'd estimate £150.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, I could buy my parents house twice over.

They live in Stoke though.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Its stopped growing. It won't actually collapse, too much is at stake for that

Best case it stagnates while inflation slowly chips away at it.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Zen user here, and I think they're pretty solid, if a tiny bit overpriced.

I was formally with Virgin and loving hell was that ever the worst service and router ever. There isn't enough time in the universe to explain how much I hated absolutely everything about them.

Basically, unless something big has changed, you have the following: Virgin does ultrafast but see the above - avoid at all costs, Gigabyte does a very decent service from what I remember using them in Salford but they're mainly for areas where they can actually install their infrastructure without screwing up BTs, so mainly new builds. Sky, which I've also heard are pretty shite, and then everyone else who use BT lines so their speeds will reflect this.

Zen have a router called a Fritz box and it provides excellent coverage throughout my entire house without any drops. Their customer service is decent too. Once BT actually get round to completing their Openreach rollout, things will get a lot better for everyone... well, allegedly if their seriously bold statement in the FT yesterday is anything to go by.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Mega Comrade posted:

Its stopped growing. It won't actually collapse, too much is at stake for that

Best case it stagnates while inflation slowly chips away at it.

Not growing year-on-year forever == collapse :capitalism:

There was a column in the guardian about their Japan correspondent leaving after 10 years, the thing he still couldn't understand after all that time is that houses depreciate in value :eyepop:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Zen are the best. You pay a bit over the odds, but they make up for that with service. I've got a few friends who work there and I've worked in the networking field for over a decade, yet when I call Zen support I speak to someone who knows what they're talking about (moreso about these technologies than me) and doesn't treat me like an idiot.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I live in a small (26sqm net internal area) one bed flat that is all electric. Not storage heaters, but a decent convector in the living room & bedroom and a heated towel rail in the bathroom. I haven't put the hot water tank on for two years now (though I use the 'hot' tap for things like washing up to keep the water circulating through the tank) and have an electric shower (9kW). I don't have my own washing machine as we have a small communal laundry in our block that comes out of the communal service charges. The only thing on at night most of the year is the fridge/freezer and my bedroom lamp. Plus desk fan by my bed most nights, and then the heating on the coldest nights.

I have got double glazing but it does let in a draft so I made my own 'triple' glazing with some cut-to-size acrylic panels to put over the opening leaf of the window mounted on wooden frames with magnetic tape round so they stick to the magnetic tape round the window where my bug screens fit in the summer. These cut the draughts out completely and are reasonably easy to take down to air the place.

Probably more use to tell you the kWh I use than the price because I'm on a fixed rate that expires in October (boo hiss) so have missed the price increases of the past 18 months.

I used 2138 day units and 481 night units from 7/10/21-7/10/22 = 2619 total units.

Re internet - I used to have plusnet in my previous flat and found it really good - no complaints in 4 years. Now I use a Three Homehub (4G) no phone line necessary and it can go to 80Mbps - middle of the night speed - but normally is about 50. Just now it is only at 30Mbps (just retested at 48) but I don't really feel the difference - my laptop is more likely to go slow because I need a new one not because of the internet. In 3 years there have been only a handful of days it's had the wobblies and that's normally when they're tinkering with the 5G masts somewhere in the general area.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 3, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

A Virgin technician once told me to my face that me there’s no way the uncomfortably hot cable modem that would only stay connected if I ran a desk fan over it to cool it down could possibly be overheating because there’s nothing inside a modem that could ever get hot.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

A Virgin technician once told me to my face that me there’s no way the uncomfortably hot cable modem that would only stay connected if I ran a desk fan over it to cool it down could possibly be overheating because there’s nothing inside a modem that could ever get hot.

Sounds like a job I could do

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The other day my Salmon Run team defeated Cohozuna and my Virgin internet dropped right at the end and gave me the L. gently caress Virgin.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Virgin Media is the least worst in my area, since they're the only ones with fibre worth poo poo. 1Gig vs. the best the others can manage which is 80Meg pathetic stuff.

And yeah their connection drops all the loving time.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

I just use Smarty unlimited data for £20 a month on my phone, hotspot it, and it works fine.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m lucky enough now to live in an OFNL area with fibre to the home so I can pick from a whole list of different providers who are all basically identical, but on the plus side it virtually never has an issue.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

roomtone posted:

I just use Smarty unlimited data for £20 a month on my phone, hotspot it, and it works fine.

I'm considering that for when my current Three contract runs out later this year if they play silly b's with me at renewal.
I already use Smarty mobile with 12GB which I've hotspotted from occasionally and it's fine.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I've had Virgin since I moved to Leeds ~4 years ago, but recently they sent their "unfortunately due to current circumstances we have to jack our already high prices up even further" email, which has prompted me to get off my arse and check what else is available. Never had a problem with them in that time, and therefore never had to contact customer service, so I count myself lucky.

I was gonna go straight to Plusnet but I will def. check if Zen are available.

Someone knocked on my door at like 9pm last week and immediately started rambling about how some people had problems with Internet speed when they are far away from the router and did I know my current speed and could I get my phone out and show him what the speed was?
All my electronics apart from my phone are on ethernet so that never really applies to me, I asked him which company he was with, eventually got him to say it was a subsidiary of TalkTalk working with Openreach, but still wouldn't say why he knocked on my door. I told him I didn't have any problems with my connection and shut the door, but it made me so paranoid I went out again after and walked around my house to check he wasn't trying to nick anything. Really weird.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
the virgin technician vs the chad overheating cable modem

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
It might be the ratchet old cables in my house (apparently the dude who lived here a couple of years ago never used the Internet at all) but startlingly often my Virgin internet doesn't even break 1Mbps upload speed so I can't play Splatoon anyway. It's impressively poo poo

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

roomtone posted:

I don't understand how people do this. When I use my phone as a hotspot and connect a laptop or whatever to it, I can barely load a webpage (and usually can't even do that). Presumably I'm doing something wrong

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Worth the asking price just for the treasure within, tbh.

Hard agree, Team Taz 4 lyfe

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Never really had a problem with Virgin, sometimes get slight issues when the weather is bad which I didn't think was supposed to happen, what with all the cables being underground :shrug:

Sky was alright before that, and BT was alright before that.

I don't think I have had bad internet since ADSL became the norm.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Last year the horse I was riding gently punted a tiny yappy dog about a metre because it wouldn't leave her alone and the owners were ineffective at getting it under control.

It came back for a second go, and the owners just managed to grab it before it went on another flying lesson.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

I don't understand how people do this. When I use my phone as a hotspot and connect a laptop or whatever to it, I can barely load a webpage (and usually can't even do that). Presumably I'm doing something wrong

What’s browsing like on the phone itself?

If your phone’s data connection is poo poo then the hotspot will be just as poo poo, if not shittier.

Can also be down to your phone being a bit old and crappy so it’s too slow to handle the back and forth from 4/5G to the wifi and back.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Remember that if your ISP is one of BT, EE, Sky, Talk Talk, or Virgin Media (or Plusnet, apparently), they’re subject to blocking orders and will restrict access to whatever the UK government thinks is naughty (see here)

(Note that this is separate from last May’s Internet Service Sanctions which affects all ISPs)

E: If you’re stuck with a restrictive ISP and want a VPN Mullvad is great, you can sign up with absolutely zero personal information and they’re independently audited.

E2: And as usual ISP Review’s top 10 is a good guide of quality (the star rating list, not subscriber count!)

TACD fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
After several years of their prices creeping up by a quid here and two quid there, Virgin just went all-in and told me they're going up by £7 a month as of April. Broadband-only was £35 when I first got it circa 2018, now £45, so gently caress paying £52.

Looks like my local options are Sky, Vodafone, Plusnet, Now and Shell - anyone got any recommendations/horror stories with those?