Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
Doomba you were too beautiful for this world :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mad Catter got spayed and neutered lmao

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Free Shipping-Minotaur: You know, I think Free Shipping did well to last as long as it did.

Ribbot-Claw Viper: Claw Viper is a lot of fun this year even without a real weapon. While everyone else in the offseason was going "how can I get my weapon up to 250 mph?" they went "how can I get my drive up to 40 mph?"

Lockjaw-Sawblaze: I thought Lockjaw has some fight left it in if it hadn't gotten high centered. It would have been limping along, but it had a weapon still working and Sawblaze did not, so they might have had a chance.

Blip-Huge: Blip was a lot better at flipping Huge than I thought it would be. I thought all the energy would get absorbed by the wheels and they'd just bend a bit every time they tried a flip, but Blip did manage to throw it around a bit until its weapon got disabled.

I love how excited the Huge team was to get some success out of the gate.

Witch Doctor-Fusion: Hell of a fight! I can't believe they actually got the full concept of Fusion working. I never thought that thing would work. Didn't catch fire, had a hard-hitting weapon going until the very end.

Witch Doctor is so goddamn resilient though. Incredible driving from Mike Galetly as usual, sticking to the plan and finally getting to the side and knocking out the vert.

Definitely came down to which bot was still moving in the last 15 seconds.

Doomba-Double Tap: OK I am annoyed that's not a functioning chainsaw.

Riptide-Madcatter: :lol: that Riptide captain sure can talk some poo poo

Tough call on the Lynx vs. Riptide debate. I can see how one would be inclined to say "well 250 lbs is very different from 3 lbs, so we did have to do a ton of new design work".

I sympathize with the Lynx designer though. It's a pretty loving high barrier of entry to build a 250 lb robot, and I'd be miffed if someone jacked my 3 lb design and I just didn't have the money to build a bigger one. I suspect Madcatter is heavily funded by their college.

Anyway, that eggbeater design sure does work well!

Pretty funny watching the Riptide guy overplay his hand in the post-fight interview and actually annoy Mark Mason.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

the lynx vs riptide thing is clearly a work. eggbeater designs have been in robot combat since like, what, 2001? 2002? its an insane claim

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Borsche69 posted:

the lynx vs riptide thing is clearly a work. eggbeater designs have been in robot combat since like, what, 2001? 2002? its an insane claim

Oh is it? Well now I'm definitely on Riptide's side

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

the Huge-Mammoth fight truly had some of the weirdest physics possible

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

drat I must have missed that first time Tantrum fought Tombstone and the origin of the fists. Incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeUtyI4lr_U

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I loved when a big chunk of Blip flew right at Aren Hill and he didn't flinch a bit as it hit the plexiglass in front of him

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I didnt know you could switch drivers mid-fight. Huh. Duck still got robbed

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Judge's cards on the split decision:

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1621332225374711809

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Looks like Aggression was the determining factor, and that tracks with how I saw it. You could make an argument that either of them won that category.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Oh is it? Well now I'm definitely on Riptide's side

they've been especially popular at lower weight classes. the nature of an eggbeater frees up a bunch of weight compared to poo poo like drums and such. theres been kits for them for like a good 5 or 6 years. lynx is like a 2019 thing

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

Looks like Aggression was the determining factor, and that tracks with how I saw it. You could make an argument that either of them won that category.

I was surprised to see Fusion get 3-2 damage on all cards, but Fon's card indicates he was tracking damage very specifically.

I can't find the damage scoring rules, but it seems like it's full drive, half drive, or no drive. So even though Fusion is barely capable of movement at the end and Witch Doctor is limping around much better, they are both "half drive", both with weapons out, and pieces of WD all over the box. So I guess, by the book, Fusion is winning the damage category.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Borsche69 posted:

they've been especially popular at lower weight classes. the nature of an eggbeater frees up a bunch of weight compared to poo poo like drums and such. theres been kits for them for like a good 5 or 6 years. lynx is like a 2019 thing

Yea I dunno. The Eggbeater bar is a pretty common weapon for robot combats (also in Battlebots).

But most the Eggbeater is in front. Also the kit bots don't have the same design as these too. Lynx & Riptide do share a lot of the same geometry.

3lb Lynx

250lb Riptide

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Seeing a bot like Claw Viper dominate a top tier bot like Ribbot is pretty awesome. I imagine the whole field is completely on notice after that fight. Ribbot is a really solid team and couldn't do anything at all against their speed.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Seeing a bot like Claw Viper dominate a top tier bot like Ribbot is pretty awesome. I imagine the whole field is completely on notice after that fight. Ribbot is a really solid team and couldn't do anything at all against their speed.

It's an interesting approach: if they can grab a vertical spinner and then drop them on the floor spinner-first, their foe is going to damage itself. I think that's part of what led to a decline in horizontal spinners, which were much more likely to make frequent contact with the box floor during a match. Not sure it's going to work very well against Sawblaze.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea I dunno. The Eggbeater bar is a pretty common weapon for robot combats (also in Battlebots).

But most the Eggbeater is in front. Also the kit bots don't have the same design as these too. Lynx & Riptide do share a lot of the same geometry.

3lb Lynx

250lb Riptide

box + eggbeater

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

That Bot I would say does not look much like Riptide or Lynx. Egg beaters are common, I don't know about the specific geometry of these two.

Honestly the biggest surprise for me is that a Bot named Emulsifier wasn't an egg beater.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

El Fideo posted:

That Bot I would say does not look much like Riptide or Lynx. Egg beaters are common, I don't know about the specific geometry of these two.

Honestly the biggest surprise for me is that a Bot named Emulsifier wasn't an egg beater.

its a box with 4 wheels and an eggbeater. it's from 2001.

if you're gonna pull that card then gently caress it, riptide does not have wedges. its a completely different shape without wedges.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

this is Last Rites Is A Clone Of MOE poo poo again

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's some fun robots in there that didn't make the cut. I don't think that Doomba would have gone far but goodamn they would have been fun to watch at least once or twice

The chainsaw is just decorative????? :livintrope:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well now the whole bot is decorative.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

its a box with 4 wheels and an eggbeater. it's from 2001.

if you're gonna pull that card then gently caress it, riptide does not have wedges. its a completely different shape without wedges.

Literally a beatup then. If they're pulling lame PR stunts like that for attention, they must be worried about the competition. Speaking of lame PR stunts, putting Blip up against Huge, whose idea was that? Disappointing matchup out of an otherwise very good brace of fights, Claw Viper was breathtaking again.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I am a bit behind and just watched Claw Viper's first fight of the season. I was genuinely surprised at how fast it is. Control bots don't usually do it for me, but this version of Claw Viper is just so hard for most bots to deal with. Even after the box rush, its speed dictates the whole match. It's the fastest bot I've seen in Battlebots, and it's not even close.

Here's hoping for a Claw Viper v. Hypershock match in the future. :flashfap:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ewe2 posted:

Literally a beatup then. If they're pulling lame PR stunts like that for attention, they must be worried about the competition. Speaking of lame PR stunts, putting Blip up against Huge, whose idea was that? Disappointing matchup out of an otherwise very good brace of fights, Claw Viper was breathtaking again.

i mean its the same show that was willing to paint ray billings as a villain. they don't mind leaning in on a 'bad blood' work. the community is generally too nice to actually buy into stuff like that and be mad. i see it as discovery trying to fill airtime because godforbid they actually go into the pits and inspect post-match damage or whatever.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

the Huge-Mammoth fight truly had some of the weirdest physics possible

I laughed my rear end off during that fight. It was like watching one of those videos of Madden glitches.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They definitely manufacture drama, and of course they have some fake bad guys who are always winking at the camera and behind the scenes all the other builders love them

BUT that Riptide dude does really seem to be a prick. I don't get any "playing for the cameras" off him at all.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

They definitely manufacture drama, and of course they have some fake bad guys who are always winking at the camera and behind the scenes all the other builders love them

BUT that Riptide dude does really seem to be a prick. I don't get any "playing for the cameras" off him at all.

that's just anyone 20 years and younger. or anyone younger than me at all.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It seems Doomba was originally slated to fight Rusty. Then things happened. Certainly explains why their armor was so poorly suited to fighting Double Tap.

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots...nt=share_button

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Re: the Riptide controversy: there's a locked Reddit thread where people point out that people in the scene also just don't like the kid that much and that his bot is partially funded by some snakeoil that his dad sold claiming it cured his autism

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/10ss1t2/so_what_is_the_controversy_with_riptides_team/

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I think every main event this season has had some manufactured drama between the 2 teams so a lot of this week was most certainly Discovery putting their spin on things.

But also Ethan of Rip Tide probably is an rear end in a top hat and Martin Mason did look legitimately upset in the post fight interview.

Can't really hate on team Riptide or Ethan because his dad might be a piece of poo poo.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

beepsandboops posted:

Re: the Riptide controversy: there's a locked Reddit thread where people point out that people in the scene also just don't like the kid that much and that his bot is partially funded by some snakeoil that his dad sold claiming it cured his autism

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/10ss1t2/so_what_is_the_controversy_with_riptides_team/

lol jesus christ. alright yeah

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I think every main event this season has had some manufactured drama between the 2 teams so a lot of this week was most certainly Discovery putting their spin on things.

But also Ethan of Rip Tide probably is an rear end in a top hat and Martin Mason did look legitimately upset in the post fight interview.

Can't really hate on team Riptide or Ethan because his dad might be a piece of poo poo.

yeah the dad stuff aside, the actual sincere dislike of the team makes some of the pre and post-fight stuff come off way less like ribbing/hes a dumb kid and more that the guy is an actual rear end in a top hat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I'd make that face too if someone put their hand to my mouth post-covid

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd make that face too if someone put their hand to my mouth post-covid

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

i mean its the same show that was willing to paint ray billings as a villain. they don't mind leaning in on a 'bad blood' work. the community is generally too nice to actually buy into stuff like that and be mad. i see it as discovery trying to fill airtime because god forbid they actually go into the pits and inspect post-match damage or whatever.

Yeah it's annoying, even though I can see the justification. It's the same reason they do obviously bad match-ups like Blip v Huge that are so unlikely to go any other way than the way it did, and that is a particular message to the community that says 'you are going to put up with this because we think it's entertainment'. This year they begrudgingly added an appeals process that stops at 1 appeal only per season for each team which also suggests there had to have been a lot of pressure to even get that concession.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah he's a bit immature and literally not getting with the program. By contrast I have the greatest respect for Reece Ewart and his deadpan response to his loss vs Witch Doctor, some people (I'm looking at you Riptide guy) could learn a lot about dignity and self-deprecating humour in defeat.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ewe2 posted:

Yeah he's a bit immature and literally not getting with the program.

The hosts always push him to do the screaming thing, that's his onscreen persona now

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ewe2 posted:

Yeah it's annoying, even though I can see the justification. It's the same reason they do obviously bad match-ups like Blip v Huge that are so unlikely to go any other way than the way it did, and that is a particular message to the community that says 'you are going to put up with this because we think it's entertainment'. This year they begrudgingly added an appeals process that stops at 1 appeal only per season for each team which also suggests there had to have been a lot of pressure to even get that concession.

Got to kind of disagree. The preliminary fights can't all be matches that are fun matchups for the 2 bots paired together. There is going to be some bots matched up that don't quite match up. But also Blip vs. Huge, the fight was determined by 1 single hit, where they got stuck together and Blips flipper quit working after. If Huge's blade didn't get stuck in Blip on a perfect hit, and Blip's flipper worked the whole fight, it could definitely be a different result. And arguably, many Battlebot fights gets determined by 1 or 2 lucky hits.

Although they have gotten better, the real problem with Huge is they move slow and thus don't score well on aggression & control.

And similar to the NFL, the appeals process isn't one per season. Teams can only lose 1 appeal per season, then they can no longer appeal. Which is completely fair, because you don't want teams to have no recourse for appealing every decision that doesn't go their way.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Lots of sports have appeal systems like that, because delays cost money.

They should probably show the scoring matrix on screen for a few seconds at some point though, it's actually very specific now and almost no one complaining online understands it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

mossyfisk posted:

Lots of sports have appeal systems like that, because delays cost money.

They should probably show the scoring matrix on screen for a few seconds at some point though, it's actually very specific now and almost no one complaining online understands it.

Yeah, in my experience a significant portion of the complaints about a judges decision end up referring to some made up criteria. It's rare that what I'd score a fight is more than a point away from what the judges scored for any given match and I was heavily involved in writing the current criteria.