Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I don't have any good ideas for names, but I'm voting to keep one of the teams in Portland so that the Mariners can have a neighbour.

Also, Adam made it to the majors! :woop: A 2.0 WAR in his... first? second? season in MLB is nothing to scoff at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Austin Kings - Peoria Players. It plays in Peoria.
Portland Sultans - (keep them in Portland) Rose City Gamblers, a nod to baseball great Pete Rose.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

JosefStalinator posted:

It'd be so great if he starts every preseason in MLB and gets demoted to AAA just before opening day.

I'm not at home now, but I'll check everyone's requests (like fielding stats) later!

Edit: and Goku/Vegeta don't have to be the only rivals, if you guys wanna start beef...

Splodey's only rival is the jerk who came in via FA and got him booted to AAA. His star seems to be falling. Looks like he'll be lucky to be a AAAA player at this point.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Average Lettuce posted:

I'm really liking this Vegete/Goku storyline. I'm pulling for Goku but he has a bit of catching up to do.

Goku just needs to die (get Tommy John surgery) and train with King Kai (BALCO)

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Goku just needs to die (get Tommy John surgery) and train with King Kai (BALCO)

I was fully waiting for Goku to get injured and have Krillin (poorly) fill in for him while he recovered.

Maybe the other goons should take sides in this cosmic contest.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Average Lettuce posted:

I'm really liking this Vegete/Goku storyline. I'm pulling for Goku but he has a bit of catching up to do.

He’s training

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Anto... I mean Bantoni will do what his brother could not. Make it above A ball.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Current Proposed Teams:

Austin Kings:
Indianapolis Blue Sox
Montreal Expos
Vancouver Killer Whales
Austin Assholes
Fargo Go Fars
Butte Wipers
Peoria Players

Portland Sultans:
Carolina Catfish (Charlotte)
Vancouver Warhawks
Mexico City Quetzalcoatls
Minneapolis Moose
Fullerton Failures
Evansville Sewer Rats
Reno Rollers
Vancouver Loonies
Rose City Gamblers

I'll give people a little bit more time to suggest names, and I'll make a poll for everyone to vote on. Though it seems that there is a growing consensus of sorts. (Also tell me if I missed one).

got some chores tonight posted:

Name: Krillin Chestnut
Nickname: "Bald Midget"
Position: Middle infielder
Player Type: Jose Altuve but even smoller
Nationality/Hometown: Dengfeng, China
Number: 6
Height and Weight: 5'0", 99 lbs

Would Krillin's creator like to weigh in for the Kings? I'd like to still do a poll, but curious if you have any strong or weak preferences or want to let goon-democracy rule?

Red posted:

Wow.

I'm hoping Reggie can push his walk totals up significantly, but holy cow.

I'll be really curious to see how McCracken and Blank do together (are they complementary, competitive, or will they create a ton of drama?). I'm also kind of hoping they're both career Tigers.

Edit: Does OOTP provide any defensive stats?

In terms of the relationship between the players, I think OOTP does model that in some way with personalities, and players can clash with one another. It shows how the manager's relationships are with his players:

It looks like Plusse and McCracken both get along with the manager well, and are Outspoken and Sparkplugs respectively. The Tigers are, understandably, a pretty happy team - while they might be bummed about the WS, they're in great shape and are being driven by a core of homegrown, talented players, so everyone's vibing quite well. They went from a 78 win team to an 87 win team and the AL champions, in large part thanks to the new kids.

Blank, true to his nature, is perfectly neutral to everyone. So I think McCracken being a sparkplug implies he's probably PUMPED about Blank's awards and encouraging his friend. Maybe Plusse, being outspoken, expressed some disappointment at his run support (and bullpen support).

McCracken bats 9th and Blank 2nd, so Blank almost certainly drove in McCracken a few times.

And, as for fielding stats:

I will admit I really don't know fielding stats that well, and other goons are welcome to chime in on what are the "easy" stats to summarize fielding ability (like OPS+ and ERA+). Defensive stats are a bit tough because different positions play different roles - there are stats exclusive to catchers, for example, and some positions may field more balls or have different expectations. As such, some of the measures may be best to compare between players at the same position (like range factor, RNG).

It's probably best to look at RNG, ZR, and EFF together, with an eye towards anyone with a lot of errors and/or low PCT (though PCT is included in EFF, I think?)

Based on these, our strongest defensive players seem to be Glasscock and Malyz, with Blank a respectable third, some of our goons have small sample sizes. Malyz notably didn't record a single error over 89 games (291 chances), which is impressive. Goku only had one error over 119 games (350 chances), but had more limited range.

Kazuki Saito is a bit of a standout as a poor defensive player - he has the most errors with a pretty small sample, and his sabermetric measures are not inspiring. Tim McCracken is similarly mediocre at third, though better than Saito.

Fielding is weird, and I think it takes a much larger sample to get a sense of who are the outliers defensively. I'll keep an eye on it and point out any notable standouts.

Tevery Best posted:

I don't have any good ideas for names, but I'm voting to keep one of the teams in Portland so that the Mariners can have a neighbour.

Also, Adam made it to the majors! :woop: A 2.0 WAR in his... first? second? season in MLB is nothing to scoff at.

Adam has been silently good since his call up - not flashy, not really getting attention, but just consistent. His fielding stands out but an OPS+ of 94 your rookie season is hardly something to scoff at, especially if you can play well at CF. Even if he doesn't win any awards, it'll be hard for teams to justify demoting him - especially since his batting is likely only starting to realize its maximum potential.

Explosionface posted:

Splodey's only rival is the jerk who came in via FA and got him booted to AAA. His star seems to be falling. Looks like he'll be lucky to be a AAAA player at this point.

I think Splodey is fine to be honest - he may bounce a bit down to AAA, but he has talent, solid fielding, and the potential to be a little bit better. If he doesn't get as much playing time on the Phillies due to new acquisitions, he'll likely be traded to a team that needs him, or can strike out in free agency.

But I will say, right now he is pissed. The Phillies bumped him from the starting lineup and didn't even make the playoffs.

And Splodey is a leader, so no doubt he's feeling some of the responsibility for his team's struggles.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also, a discovery!

Our coach goons have found a job! (I assume Lebron will too, once the next year's hirings happen).

Cash Considerations is managing the AAA LeHigh Valley Ironpigs (The Phillies affiliate). That's a fairly high profile position, and may put Cash in a position to one day manage an MLB team.

Antoni Kemping is the hitting coach for the Washington Nationals. A shame he can't be coaching his "brother."

Aaron Zinn is the first base coach... for the Toronto Blue Jays! While this is probably the lowest profile of the above jobs, it does mean he's already doing work at the MLB level, which is awesome.

Zinn and Cash signed 3 year contracts (130 and 140k each year, respectively), while Antoni signed a meager 2 year, 40k per year deal with Washington.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

AL Team - Ciudad Juarez Rios
NL Team - Winnipeg Pooh Bears

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

sometime way down the line we need to have kiryu and majima as players, they love baseball

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

JosefStalinator posted:

I'm not at home now, but I'll check everyone's requests (like fielding stats) later!

Obviously I'd like to know how many dingers Storg has hit thus far in his minor league travels.

biosterous posted:

sometime way down the line we need to have kiryu and majima as players, they love baseball

Kiryu does spend a lot of time at the batting cages...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
A discussion of Yakuza-themed ball players and nobody mentions Tatsuo Shinada?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
I like the sound of Krillin being the face of the reborn Expos, for better or worse!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

A discussion of Yakuza-themed ball players and nobody mentions Tatsuo Shinada?

i only know yakuza 0 and kiwami 1 and 2, so

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

biosterous posted:

i only know yakuza 0 and kiwami 1 and 2, so

Shinada is one of the protagonists of Yakuza 5 and is a former professional baseball player! :eng101:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Vote now for the team relocation :siren:

Portland Sultans
https://poll-maker.com/poll4690084x7B724263-146

Austin Kings
https://poll-maker.com/poll4690087xa27dd79b-146

Krilling has given his blessing for the Montreal Expos to be restored with the expanded Austin Kings - let's see if the goon hivemind agrees, and Krillin can make a final call.

habeasdorkus posted:

Obviously I'd like to know how many dingers Storg has hit thus far in his minor league travels.

Kiryu does spend a lot of time at the batting cages...

Storg hit good. Storg have 61 home runs lifetime. Storg want to play in Mexico City.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

biosterous posted:

John Cena, you gotta get that WAR score up, that's one of the few things i remember about baseball statistics

you cannot be the face of the wwe mlb if you're slightly worse than a theoretical generic player!

you want a war you're gonna get one

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

RIP Horse Knuckleballer, might be time to retire my guy

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

With all this checking in folks are doing, a part of me really wants to see how Rooster’s progression is going. Is he on track for AA or even AAA yet?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

JosefStalinator posted:

Storg hit good. Storg have 61 home runs lifetime. Storg want to play in Mexico City.

I appreciate that Storg counts his college home runs in his total. I also feel like if Storg asked how many 61 was, you could answer him by saying "more than 60, less than 62" and it'd blow his mind.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JOHN CENA posted:

you want a war you're gonna get one

Bah gawd, maybe Cena needs a rival ;).

HereticMIND posted:

With all this checking in folks are doing, a part of me really wants to see how Rooster’s progression is going. Is he on track for AA or even AAA yet?

Ratings wise Bob's doing well, it looks like he just struggled at AA for some reason this season. His ratings are too strong to give up at this point, so this might just be a weird blip. Maybe its some LOLMets curses though.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

RIP Horse Knuckleballer, might be time to retire my guy

I wouldn't give up until we see how he does out of his injury. He actually was pitching pretty well until his ligaments got destroyed, so maybe a team will pick him up for 2027.

The poll results are in!

I think there are two clear winners here. The Portland Sultans will be moving to Mexico City to become the Quetzalcoatls, while the Austin Kings, with Krillin at the helm, will be returning baseball the place it should never have left - Montreal.

We will have a primarily Spanish and a primarily French speaking team going into 2027. We love to see it!

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Rooster has a 1.0 WAR at AA? When he was rocking a 5.1 in A+? Sounds like, even in a simulated environment, LOLMETS finds a way. I can only imagine how the talking heads of baseball would be preening themselves and subtly making backhanded comments about Rooster’s future in the MLB if this was real, to say nothing of sports fans in general. God I hope Bob turns this around. C’mon, devil magic, do your thing!

Also, LOL, get owned MLB owners/commissioner. Like it or not, baseball is officially a North American sport now. As in, it’s played in all three major countries of America.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I love that 7% of people who voted in the second poll liked my stupid wordplay joke enough to vote for it. Butte Wipers is a really funny name. Though I do agree the Montreal Expos were a better name overall!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HereticMIND posted:

Rooster has a 1.0 WAR at AA? When he was rocking a 5.1 in A+? Sounds like, even in a simulated environment, LOLMETS finds a way. I can only imagine how the talking heads of baseball would be preening themselves and subtly making backhanded comments about Rooster’s future in the MLB if this was real, to say nothing of sports fans in general. God I hope Bob turns this around. C’mon, devil magic, do your thing!

Also, LOL, get owned MLB owners/commissioner. Like it or not, baseball is officially a North American sport now. As in, it’s played in all three major countries of America.

I wouldn't take WAR in the minors too seriously, or stats in general, because usage in the minors is not always regular and the playing environment isn't representative of the MLB. Give Rooster time, I don't think you'll be too disappointed ;).

DoubleNegative posted:

I love that 7% of people who voted in the second poll liked my stupid wordplay joke enough to vote for it. Butte Wipers is a really funny name. Though I do agree the Montreal Expos were a better name overall!

I actually really liked the Butte Wipers myself, and would not have been sad had it been chosen.

I simmed most of 2027 last night, we are in for some surprises, and goon firsts!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

JosefStalinator posted:

I actually really liked the Butte Wipers myself, and would not have been sad had it been chosen.

I simmed most of 2027 last night, we are in for some surprises, and goon firsts!

I am prepared for Tungsten Arm to be released. :sadwave:

Also, thanks for doing this, it is amazingly awesome.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I was really hoping my naming strategy of "cities with large populations that are just outside the current markets of US teams and that are not literally in the mountains" didn't pay off. Ah, well. Good luck to Mexico City and the impending new home run leader whom they employ.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rickiep00h posted:

I was really hoping my naming strategy of "cities with large populations that are just outside the current markets of US teams and that are not literally in the mountains" didn't pay off. Ah, well. Good luck to Mexico City and the impending new home run leader whom they employ.

I put in the actual Helu stadium dimensions and coordinates, and ootp set the home run propensity to 1.25... meaning 25% more than average :getin:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

JosefStalinator posted:

I put in the actual Helu stadium dimensions and coordinates, and ootp set the home run propensity to 1.25... meaning 25% more than average :getin:

Just out of curiosity, what's Denver? I have to assume something like 12%?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rickiep00h posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's Denver? I have to assume something like 12%?

I think it's about that, 1.12 or so. The game also models wind direction and speed, so I have no idea if that also plays an influence independent of the home run factor.

If Mexixco City ever manages to put together a decent team, they could have some pop. RIP any pitchers that have to play there though.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

JosefStalinator posted:

I think it's about that, 1.12 or so. The game also models wind direction and speed, so I have no idea if that also plays an influence independent of the home run factor.

If Mexixco City ever manages to put together a decent team, they could have some pop. RIP any pitchers that have to play there though.

Does OOTP simulate anything like endorsement deals?

I'd like Reggie Blank to endorse something really generic, like shoelaces or a brand of white locker room towels.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Red posted:

Does OOTP simulate anything like endorsement deals?

I'd like Reggie Blank to endorse something really generic, like shoelaces or a brand of white locker room towels.

Reggie Blank’s Diet Plain soda.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Gerblederp posted:

Reggie Blank’s Diet Plain soda.

I like the idea of Wal-Martesque cheap soda. Blank Cola, Diet Blank Cola, Dr. Blank, Mountain Blank, etc.

Red fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 3, 2023

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Reggie Blank brand seltzer water. It will hydrate you!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

JosefStalinator posted:

Reggie Blank brand seltzer water. It will hydrate you!

"Now with more bubbles!"

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Steve McGee in a "Got milk?" commercial. :v:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Reggie... the 2027 All-Star game (which features 4 goons!) made me realize I missed something...

2027 saw 4 goons make the All-Star game, including Reggie. Can you guess which four?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

JosefStalinator posted:

Speaking of Reggie... the 2027 All-Star game (which features 4 goons!) made me realize I missed something...

2027 saw 4 goons make the All-Star game, including Reggie. Can you guess which four?

Sir Plusse, Prince Vegeta, uhhh... AJ Kalan, Reggie Blank again?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

JosefStalinator posted:

McCracken, Plusse, Vegeta, Blank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Explosionface posted:

Sir Plusse, Prince Vegeta, uhhh... AJ Kalan, Reggie Blank again?

Red posted:

McCracken, Plusse, Vegeta, Blank?

3 correct, 2 incorrect between the two of you - and one new mystery All-Star!