Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That puzzle is infamous for people getting stuck on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
When I first played the game I got stuck in the first dungeon where you're supposed to circle your sword around to make the eye dizzy. That's my 'failing at an incredibly simple puzzle' skyward sword story.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I absolutely got stuck on the kebob puzzle 10 years ago or whenever it came out. And yeah, Fi doesn't shut up anywhere else but has nothing for it.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I can't wait for the new game The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom to come out on May 12th, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

romanowski posted:

I can't wait for the new game The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom to come out on May 12th, 2023

We should be getting a Direct to hype it in the coming weeks if Nintendo acts like it usually does, they always do that like 3 months out. So if we don’t, that poo poo is getting delayed.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Usually game devs use this technique called “playtesting” to figure out where hints need to be inserted. I think the skyward sword devs might have just used vibes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Based on things like BotW giving you the "you have no room to carry this weapon/shield" dialogue with no option to drop something from your inventory approximately 500 times in any given playthrough, I'm pretty sure that Nintendo actively ignores helpful suggestions during playtesting.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

nintendo made a tweet like today or yesterday saying "100 days until Tears of the Kingdom" so I think they're pretty confident.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Watch how fast this gets DMC-ed.

https://kotaku.com/zelda-link-past-pc-port-emulator-reverse-engineered-1850057475

https://youtu.be/xctizwBntag

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think they are distributing anything owned by Nintendo, so it might not.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Alxprit posted:

nintendo made a tweet like today or yesterday saying "100 days until Tears of the Kingdom" so I think they're pretty confident.

not Nintendo but close enough:

https://twitter.com/ZeldaUniverse/status/1620800202146996224

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
both the European and Australian official Twitter accounts tweeted it. They tend to be a bit 'looser' with PR stuff than their American counterparts for whatever reason, so maybe you shouldn't read too much into it, but I'm choosing to believe

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I can't wait to play this game on my porch in the spring. Ahhhhhhhhhh

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006

Slightly off topic but there's a been leaks of a Lego Deku Tree set releasing. Wonder if they'll coincide with botw2z

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

glassyalabolas posted:

Slightly off topic but there's a been leaks of a Lego Deku Tree set releasing. Wonder if they'll coincide with botw2z

That's interesting, since some hawk-eyed observers have noted that the Deku Tree appears to be missing entirely in the 2021 trailer. Maybe he's in the sky now?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He was sent to a forest upstate to run and play with other trees.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wonder if ToftheK will have a roc's feather, wanna do big flippy jumps while walking around, maybe try to jump my way up a mountain.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

as fast as the mario 64 and ocarina of time ones that have not been DMCA'd??

i wish people would have more to say when they see a cool fan project than "lmao lawyers are on their way"

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think they are distributing anything owned by Nintendo, so it might not.

It can't be unless they stole some of the code and they probably didn't.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

Everyone on the production team: *Link scream*

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Does Nintendo usually announce when games go gold? ‘Cuz I’d be lying if I said I won’t 100% believe it until they do

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess that really only matters for Nintendo these days, since they actually put their games on their carts. For any other company, the game could have been printed months ago and then force an update when you first play it.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Khanstant posted:

I wonder if ToftheK will have a roc's feather, wanna do big flippy jumps while walking around, maybe try to jump my way up a mountain.

I know traditional dungeons are high up on most people's list of things they want to return. I'd just be happy with the return of items that grant new abilities. It always kinda bugged me that pretty much every puzzle was solvable with the slate powers they force you to get at the beginning. The champion powers were cool but not quite the same.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Khanstant posted:

It'd be fun to have that, but the cape upgrade would be pretty funny in a non-2D game. Link just constantly launching himself into the Superman pose as he hovers slightly above the ground for ten feet at a time

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I was discussing with a coworker today how I appreciated the minimalistic music in BotW but near the top of my wish list for the new game is a more bombastic score similar to Hyrule Castle in BotW.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Yeah, I hadn’t seen the full-length story trailer for BOTW until recently but the music in that legit sent shivers down my spine, super hosed up that none of it was actually in the game

Give me a soundtrack like that and I’ll buy five copies of the game

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Mahoning posted:

I was discussing with a coworker today how I appreciated the minimalistic music in BotW but near the top of my wish list for the new game is a more bombastic score similar to Hyrule Castle in BotW.

That's the entire soundtrack of Age of Calamity, as if they made a movie score of intense moments with character themes from BotW

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mylan posted:

I know traditional dungeons are high up on most people's list of things they want to return. I'd just be happy with the return of items that grant new abilities. It always kinda bugged me that pretty much every puzzle was solvable with the slate powers they force you to get at the beginning. The champion powers were cool but not quite the same.

It was a really beautiful design, I'm super glad they made it that way, made it very distinct from other Zelda games, but now that it exists I definitely want some new tools and things to look forward to unlocking and discovering. I replayed OoT recently and I loved all the "see this thing, oh cant get to it yet, make not" and then getting to act on it later when you see it again and have the tools or hidden knack to getting it. Reckon they can even have shrines where they always strip you to your most basic magic abilities, while letting the dungeons and overworld have physical things where you need the specialized tools to progress. Plus just imagine standard zelda items with BotW movement: gliding/jump off horse + slow-mo into hookshot! or just bring back Spinner, always. Worst case scenario they already had masks and can expand on those powers more.

Champ powers were a letdown since I did flying one last which is really the one that makes exploring more fun -- except I already did most of that climbing the long way with tons of stamina food and the worst outfit in the game.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
There are a few ways they could keep the overall design of BotW while also having item abilities. My preferred method would be for (many) puzzles to have intended and signposted solutions via specific items, but the game would never restrict you from solving them with your core toolset, even if it takes some innovative or hacky solutions

This is a very immersive sim-esque design philosophy (particularly recent examples like Prey 2 and Dishonored 2), and I think it'd work brilliantly with a BotW style Zelda game

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nintendo tends to be really anxious about having to make games for all skill levels, so it's hard for them to trust players to figure things out. And to be fair, the sheer size of a modern open world game means that it's pretty easy to miss things.

Although technically while they cheat on the tablet abilities by throwing them all at you up top, there are sort of item abilities that gate off parts of the game, like you need special items to go to the Goron mountain or Gerudo town. Revali's gale and the Zora suit give you abilities that can change a bit of how you traverse, it's not hard to imagine them going further with that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Spellman posted:

That's the entire soundtrack of Age of Calamity, as if they made a movie score of intense moments with character themes from BotW

Seems like AoC had a moment where it was the new hot thing and then everyone collectively got bored of it after 30-40 hours of playtime.

I think the only 2 additional characters and the end of the DLC apparently might've killed a bit of enthusiasm.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

pentyne posted:

Seems like AoC had a moment where it was the new hot thing and then everyone collectively got bored of it after 30-40 hours of playtime.

I think the only 2 additional characters and the end of the DLC apparently might've killed a bit of enthusiasm.

The lack of any kind of Adventure Mode really harmed the long term playability.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Khanstant posted:

Reckon they can even have shrines where they always strip you to your most basic magic abilities, while letting the dungeons and overworld have physical things where you need the specialized tools to progress. ...

AHHHH yeah that's totally how they should handle things in TotK, don't know why I didn't put 2+2 together.

Overworld & shrines where you can use every item, almost nothing is explicitly item gated off. First half of the game, larger dungeons that operate like Eventide, so you can do them in any order still, but you do gain permanent dungeon items from them. And then back half of the game (in the sky? Underground?), dungeons with puzzles using the permanent items from the first half.

Best of both worlds, do-it-in-any-order for first half, gain all the new items, do-it-in-any-order for second half.

God I love Zelda. May is so close!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

We have a Zelda thread, oh my. TotK is gonna rock so hard it'll knock us all out of our seats into the next town over. It's gonna be the gaming equivalent of Godzilla eating a train, only we're Godzilla, and the train is a nourishing meal of a really good game.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I'm replaying Link Between Worlds ATM and the giant hand boss just bitchslapped me through the back wall into where the painting was. So ha ha on him, Sage rescued and I'm going to upgrade everything and then come back and slaughter him as a taster for dealing with Yuga.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I just really hope they bring back more musical interaction stuff. The Sheikah slate could have been a simple keyboard that they could have thrown some Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind style interactions with the old Sheikah tech.

Also, more spooky stuff. Redead, Poes, Gibdos, etc.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I kinda hope we don’t get a sheika slate this time and they do something new.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Link is going to get Sheikah Shades. VR and a HUD for some first person action ala Metroid Prime.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Cartoon Man posted:

Pretty sure Link's hosed up arm IS the Slate this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
They are going to shoehorn in some weird obscure switch mechanic -- maybe the stand in the back?