Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Pants Donkey posted:

People screaming in anguish as Loup and his gf share photos of their vacation to Paris.

We don't see the photos, just them sharing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
between this page and the final one for the last chapter it feels like the story's trying to present loup's perception by the heroes versus his current "reformed" self as a bit of cruel dramatic irony, except that requires the audience to believe jerrek's new Boyfriend Guy status is convincing, and lasting, and not completely nauseating

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Oxxidation posted:

between this page and the final one for the last chapter it feels like the story's trying to present loup's perception by the heroes versus his current "reformed" self as a bit of cruel dramatic irony, except that requires the audience to believe jerrek's new Boyfriend Guy status is convincing, and lasting, and not completely nauseating

'Lasting' is the real thing. Like, he's being portrayed as the forest god equivalent of a grumpy, horny teenager, as well as one of his core traits being wild unpredictability. There's no "okay, 'Jerrek' has found out who he really is, he's in love and foreverially stable like this." He could just as easily turn back into the awful prick the main cast is familiar with on a dime and wreck more havoc. They have a legitimate reason to fear and dislike him! Even if they knew about his stupid relationship, it wouldn't go away!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Tom really needed to get us to like Jerrek as a character first, maybe sell the idea that Loup had developed some lasting changes, and then we might slightly care about the romance and feel conflicted about Loup's fate. But it seems he thought the mere existence of a romance would cause us to like Jerrek.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Establishing Loup as a craaazy joker type hadn't helped. He has no real personality beyond "unpredictable" and "wishes he was Coyote" so it's hard to humanize or sympathize with him - any acts of kindness or sincerity can be easily dismissed as "oh well he'll flip out soon again anyways"

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Don't have lines in your comic like this for characters you want the audience to warm up to, especially in a short amount of time

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Niavmai posted:

why would you voluntarily sign up to be disappointed like this a second time?
Because the drop off in quality was so sharp.

I'd like to see some shorter form stuff from him where he can do all the different things he wants to do without trying to cram them all into one comic. Or where he feels the need to spend several years repeatedly trying to "fix" parts of the story retroactively or whatever it is that led us here.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
:rip: Tom, tried to tell a 20-year serial story and died. Happens to the best of us, honestly.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I can't really blame him either, COVID has made things so weird and oh wow sticking to a story for this long is insane. I cannot manage this kind of dedication I won't pretend like I can.

We saw it happen in fast motion with Beastars too, I wonder if there's some kind of like, some pattern here with COVID crisis just derailing all kinds of long-form stories. I wonder what other stories have suddenly gotten weird now that the world is ending.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The story can perhaps be thought of as wrapped up with the amazing climax that was the unshackling of Jeanne and Annie's encounter with fate as a nacent psychopomp. The arc with the three fates and the time traveling Tictoc fits in nicely as an epilogue--a love letter about Kat and Annie's friendship that brings the mystery of the Anan Waters full circle.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
It's honestly amazing that GC is still on-going when so many other long-running webcomics went into indefinite hiatus or were abandoned altogether, only a handful of the list on the first page of the webcomics thread actually finished because the story was actually complete.

Everyone's mental and physical health took a big hit in the last 4 5- wait it's been 6 years since 2016?!

edit: I swear I had a point here other than repeating what was said already, it just got away from me. :(

isasphere fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 2, 2023

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Potato Salad posted:

The story can perhaps be thought of as wrapped up with the amazing climax that was the unshackling of Jeanne and Annie's encounter with fate as a nacent psychopomp. The arc with the three fates and the time traveling Tictoc fits in nicely as an epilogue--a love letter about Kat and Annie's friendship that brings the mystery of the Anan Waters full circle.

That would have been the perfect endpoint for Gunnerkrigg Court the webcomic. If Tom really wanted to extend the franchise, he could do it in slice-of-life one-shots that don't depend on any long-running arc or the creative burnout that one could lead to. Think "City Face."

I respect webcomics that know when to fold, "The Adventures of Dr. McNinja" being one of them. Good from start to finish and it didn't try to linger on like a zombie corpse.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
seems fine

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I hope this chip at least wasn't made with monkey torture

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
From the moment she understood the weakness of her flesh, it disgusted her. She craves the strength and certainty of steel.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDj-cLnHrRQ

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh, cool, so she sticks the chip into herself and suddenly gains control of all the deactivated machines? Or will this be more of a "she's controlling them subconsciously and doesn't realize until the very last moment" deals?

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

YaketySass posted:

seems fine

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Randalor posted:

Oh, cool, so she sticks the chip into herself and suddenly gains control of all the deactivated machines? Or will this be more of a "she's controlling them subconsciously and doesn't realize until the very last moment" deals?

Kat activates the chip and says, "There! Now we'll be able to track what Loup is doing at any given time. No matter what we're up to, or where we are, we'll be able to check in on Loup!"

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

Kat activates the chip and says, "There! Now we'll be able to track what Loup is doing at any given time. No matter what we're up to, or where we are, we'll be able to check in on Loup!"

nooooooo lol

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kat gets invested in the relationship, kills Zimmy because she believed Loup/Joneswas the OTP

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lol ok kat lmao

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Pants Donkey posted:

Kat gets invested in the relationship, kills Zimmy because she believed Loup/Joneswas the OTP

We're not ready for the Kat's shipping grid reveal

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
did kat forget that she's friends with a surgeon

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

DontMockMySmock posted:

Former surgeon who no longer has his dominant hand, though. Still much better than two teenagers with no medical training, of course.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

We're not ready for the Kat's shipping grid reveal
Kat sees: A very straightforward excel sheet mapping out her thoughts on various acquaintances' interpersonal relationships
Everyone else sees:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

DontMockMySmock posted:

Sadly, Tony was on the first ship across the Star Ocean and has therefore been forgotten by everyone left on Earth.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Splicer posted:

Kat sees: A very straightforward excel sheet mapping out her thoughts on various acquaintances' interpersonal relationships
Everyone else sees:

Eglamore inside the tesseract screaming like McConaughey in Interstellar.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Staltran posted:

Former surgeon who no longer has his dominant hand, though. Still much better than two teenagers with no medical training, of course.

They made him a new hand.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Nettle Soup posted:

They made him a new hand.

Oh, right... When was the last time we actually saw Tony?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm trying to consider whether "Tony schlepped across the star ocean and out of the narrative" makes enough sense to be a possible clever twist.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm trying to consider whether "Tony schlepped across the star ocean and out of the narrative" makes enough sense to be a possible clever twist.

OH god I can imagine it being an attempt at a depression-fueled intended self-sacrifice on Tony's part: "Annie would be better off without me."

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

isasphere posted:

OH god I can imagine it being an attempt at a depression-fueled intended self-sacrifice on Tony's part: "Annie would be better off without me."

He would probably be right for once, but yeah, I could see that working within the story.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

What if Zimmy is Omega, and erasing the second Annie was a test run. It doesn't seem like anyone remembers her.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

DontMockMySmock posted:

He’s obviously much to levelheaded to go along with this.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I (unironically) like Kat dismissing her own work as "sci-fi junk". Very relatable "looking at something I was proud a month ago" vibe.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 6, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:phoneb: Hey guys, I've been researching Omega!

:phone: Cool, what are you doing? What have you found? This is all potentially fascinating, as Omega contributed to my parents getting together and my continued existence apparently vexes the thing!

:phoneb: .......

:phoneb: .......

:phoneb: Sorry, I have to pretend that I wouldn't say anything to my friends about anything, author's orders.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 6, 2023

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I like Osomatsu-san, too, Kat. Let's make the comic about that instead. I have way more personal investment there than in anything else right now.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
This sounds like the Hubris part of the backstory of a horror videogame, as discovered through lore dump audio or text logs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

A prophecy that one character is going to kill another can be an interesting story if it's done well. Even going back to ancient myths like Oedipus, both his parents and himself tried everything to avoid the prophecy that he'd kill dad and marry mom, and in the end that's exactly what caused it to happen. But when the plot's devolved into authorial railroading, it's hard to have any confidence that this will end up being anything more than Kat acting completely out of character or idiotically misunderstanding something obvious and murdering Zimmy because the plot said so. We've already had the explicit information that whatever Kat does to kill Zim is going to involve Omega. But instead of even having a scene where she considers that and mulls over how to avoid it, we just get 'despite the warning, Kat kept doing Omega stuff'. And now she's ready to get a connection to Omega implanted directly, which will surely not lead to any bad consequences. :v: