Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blind Pineapple posted:

I was indifferent to the ads on jerseys announcement because I envisioned something the size of the Nike logo or at worst something similar in size to the ads on NBA jerseys.

But holy gently caress, those are huge. :barf:

This is where I was too yeah.

Like this, from the replies, I'd be like "yeah whatever, who cares"

https://twitter.com/HuntStar05/status/1621176377335754752

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
Everyone loves the feeling of a large coaster flapping on their sleeve as they play ball.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The ads are designed to be noticeable.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Next season there will be a minimum number of challenges a team must use to ensure there's enough minutes of slo-mo during broadcasts to make sure those ads are zoomed in on screen long enough.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
God drat that's loving ugly.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Goddamn, those are atrocious. Marketing of any kind should be loving illegal and punishable by death.

I’m allowed to say this because I currently work in marketing :suicide:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

There's gotta be a better balance between that and "so seamless you don't notice" though

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

maffew buildings posted:

wow, love the ads on uniforms. between this, ads on the bump and increasing the pace of play (to include more TV ad breaks) the fan experience is going to be phenomenal!

Fortunately this will only impact the 7 people who are able to watch their teams on tv.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

There's gotta be a better balance between that and "so seamless you don't notice" though

Maybe, but its like radio ads. They basically are designed to be as annoying as possible repeating the same names or slogans as many times as possible so its burned in your brain.

Its gross! But it also works.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

:monocle:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes Oxy, that three letter word that only has positive connotations in modern society

Orbit sez "Give Oxy a try"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, the Angels should have that Oxy patch

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Don't worry, the patch will be big enough that you can read the word "Energy" from 100 feet away.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Elon Musk sucks

https://twitter.com/would_it_dong/status/1621215007324393472

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The final dong may have been Yordan hitting it 10000 feet to dead center to win the World Series

If ya gotta go

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Those are way bigger than I was expecting.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Dammit, why is the ad space that MLB teams are selling so obtrusive, why can't they be smaller so I can barely see them and ignore them!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In awe of all the posters who expected smaller advertisements

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Blind Pineapple posted:

I was indifferent to the ads on jerseys announcement because I envisioned something the size of the Nike logo or at worst something similar in size to the ads on NBA jerseys.

But holy gently caress, those are huge. :barf:

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Dammit, why is the ad space that MLB teams are selling so obtrusive, why can't they be smaller so I can barely see them and ignore them!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Those are way bigger than I was expecting.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

In awe of all the posters who expected smaller advertisements

I don't think expecting something similar to the NBA patches was that out of line

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I’m going to boycott every company that appears on MLB jerseys this season. That’ll show them.

I don’t even know if a company like Avnet could be boycotted, the stuff they make must be everywhere.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
https://twitter.com/gifs_baseball/status/1621254082210979843?s=20&t=vAnyhwonAHyazNlaYfRy8Q

:unsmith:

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

BigDumper posted:

I’m going to boycott every company that appears on MLB jerseys this season. That’ll show them.

I don’t even know if a company like Avnet could be boycotted, the stuff they make must be everywhere.

I feel like the people at uniwatch are going to immolate themselves in their parking lot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Utterly dogshit ankle. Piece of poo poo joint, get it out of here

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I went to high school with Correa’s ankle, can confirm it was a huge rear end in a top hat.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

This is legit the funniest thing I've ever read. Both the statement itself and Boras' ridiculous spin.

My spouse's ankle has a plate, 10 screws, and a ligature holding the tibia and fibula in place. It was done by a nationally renowned orthopedic surgeon who has done work for the Bulls, and even he said it was fairly routine. It took almost a year to recover from and they're still only back to basic roller skating two years on. They'll probably never play derby again.

Correa's been playing elite baseball for years. The fact that apparently no one knew or remembered that his ankle is make of broken glass coated in acid is hilarious. lol, and indeed, lmao.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

This is legit the funniest thing I've ever read. Both the statement itself and Boras' ridiculous spin.

My spouse's ankle has a plate, 10 screws, and a ligature holding the tibia and fibula in place. It was done by a nationally renowned orthopedic surgeon who has done work for the Bulls, and even he said it was fairly routine. It took almost a year to recover from and they're still only back to basic roller skating two years on. They'll probably never play derby again.

Correa's been playing elite baseball for years. The fact that apparently no one knew or remembered that his ankle is make of broken glass coated in acid is hilarious. lol, and indeed, lmao.

Show that doc your SO's ankle and blow his freakin mind. (how'd they break it that bad)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

zoux posted:

Show that doc your SO's ankle and blow his freakin mind. (how'd they break it that bad)

Skating! Edge of a wheel caught weird in the bottom of a bowl and folded under. The end of the fibula broke clear off and sharded halfway up their calf. They had to wait a month and a half for the swelling to subside enough to actually get the surgery done.

I'll see if I can get clearance to post an x-ray later.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Did Correa QB for the 49ers in the off-season or something?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Slapdick ankle.

Further down the article, I wanna see Cole Hamels make it back and I wouldn't mind a reunion with the Cubs. If there's a chance he can hold that 89-91MPH, that's where he was when he was last good with the Cubs (with the occasional 94 for old times sake) and they have arms ready to step in when he inevitably breaks. Nothing much to lose, and maybe you get a decent deadline flip.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

I don't think Boras' spin is really that ridiculous. When a doctor looks at an ankle that has been working perfectly fine and their conclusion is "this shouldn't be working" instead of "why is this working" I'm not really interested in their projections.

I may be slightly biased because A: Correa is on my favorite team and B: I have had a similar interaction with a doctor about my own ankle after a nasty sprain in high school

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't think Boras' spin is really that ridiculous. When a doctor looks at an ankle that has been working perfectly fine and their conclusion is "this shouldn't be working" instead of "why is this working" I'm not really interested in their projections.

I may be slightly biased because A: Correa is on my favorite team and B: I have had a similar interaction with a doctor about my own ankle after a nasty sprain in high school

Yeah, when it came out that the Giants and Mets have the same ankle guy, I wonder how much of it is professional dick measuring since Correa presumably went to a different ankle guy. "Oh, you went to my far inferior colleague who uses the bad nails and puts them ten degrees more acute than I would. I expect your ankle to fall off tomorrow".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think this comes up if he was looking for a deal that ended before his age ~36 year. Obviously I'm not a doctor, and this is just from reading a whole bunch of articles about this, but the concern I saw come up most often was degenerative traumatic arthritis. I think this is more about the out years of the deal than any imminent concern over his ankle while he's still in his prime.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

That sounds like a tomorrow problem. For now, I want to see some crazy shortstop infield catches and 158 hits or so a year.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

rickiep00h posted:

Skating! Edge of a wheel caught weird in the bottom of a bowl and folded under. The end of the fibula broke clear off and sharded halfway up their calf. They had to wait a month and a half for the swelling to subside enough to actually get the surgery done.

I'll see if I can get clearance to post an x-ray later.

My teammate couldn't stop in time when trying to get to a puck in the corner and went feet-first into the boards. He needed a metal plate and a bunch of screws to fix it. He showed me the initial x-ray of his ankle and his bones looked like a pile of broken glass. He was back playing hockey again in only like 8 months.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh that reminds me, Brock Purdy IS going to have TJ and they're projecting a 1 yr rehab. That's about what a non-pitching baseball player is going to look at recovery wise, right

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

In the Heyman article that links to, and says that Senga had a not great medical either. I'm sure the Mets will keep him healthy.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I know I know, but that’s a hell of a quote from Cora which I’d never heard before

https://twitter.com/evandrellich/status/1621497251557244929?s=46&t=FF3QU_kZnHLU0Sk9PLZL6g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He was the Astros beat reporter but Evan Drellich had a relationship with the Astros FO that was so acrimonious that the Houston Chronicle had to remove him from the assignment.