Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Tomn posted:

I suspect the theory that recruiters are trying to sell is that while you may be making less now, if you get promoted you can end up making more later. And how do you get promoted? By showing that you're keen and full of mustard and focused on things like culture fit and personal growth opportunities and the corporate mission statement and all the various intangibles that mark you out as a good team player, rather than something as pedestrian as your salary. If you don't, you might end up being stuck in your current position forever and where's your upward mobility then?

There might also be a certain degree of classism involved too - someone whose trust fund paid for their Harvard degree can afford to genuinely care about the intangibles over their salary, and doing so may be a sign in certain management circles about whether or not a job candidate is the "right sort."

Or it's an elaborate industry wide gaslighting campaign where out out touch managers tell even more out of touch HR people to try to hire bodies for a job they can't describe well, with requirements they can't articulate, which is given to a recruiting agency whose sole KPIs are 'people annoyed per day' and 'poor morons hired this month'. So you end up with "So I see you check all the boxes I'm required to check to get credit for this job post hiring candidate interaction. Why no, checking if this was a good fit for *you* isn't on my checklist. Think of how amazing this new lateral move with pay loss and demotion could be, there's so much room for advancement!"

Edit: It doesn't matter how many 'that posting is poo poo and I would need to be at least 5x as desperate to contemplate it' responses they get, as long as one of those responses is 'reluctantly, yes I'll take it'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I told a recruiter I wouldn't accept less because I'm a top tier candidate and I expect to work for a top tier employer.

If they don't want to pay for the best people I'm not interested in working for them.

He was like that actually makes sense.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

COPE 27 posted:

I told a recruiter I wouldn't accept less because I'm a top tier candidate and I expect to work for a top tier employer.

If they don't want to pay for the best people I'm not interested in working for them.

He was like that actually makes sense.

I'm remembering this.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm pretty sure the restaurant manager is trying to position himself as my manager. He said he wants me to send him my schedule for the next few months. I've been writing it out on the whiteboard calendar in the brewery and will give a heads up about brewing and packaging days a few days in advance but he never pays attention to either and seems surprised when he comes in to me doing either.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 3, 2023

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Is it normal to reset the entire office's windows and internet settings during a server migration?

also please find attached

Escape From Noise posted:

gently caress you, Robert!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

For the past few weeks we've been unable to image PCs because the server we use has been down. Even if it was up, the image is so obsolete as to be useless - just bloated with software no longer used and in some cases actively prevents the computers from connecting to the network. :wtc:

We've burned a bridge with one of the two guys who can fix it because we called him out on a lying about something that would make imagine the computers MUCH easier. So he's pouting and not answering our IMs.

The other dude lives so far in the rear end in a top hat of nowhere he can only get internet using a mifi. He finally came in (that part wasn't Dumb poo poo, he just had eye surgery), but basically did nothing to fix the server or the image because "That'll require a change request, so we'll need to put that in. Also I can't fix it during business hours in case it goes down, so I'll work on it this weekend and you should be able to start validating Tuesday."

Yes, the server that is down, preventing us from imaging computers might... Go more down. Can't risk that.

The lady who's taking over asset management also let us know that we're getting about 30 new hires on the 13th and is getting antsy about the fact that we have absolutely NO computers to hand out, not even for replacing ones that explode.

No one seemed to think my suggestion of "Name and shame the two dudes who are supposed to be fixing this and aren't. Name and shame them HARD. To her. To the entire chain, up to the CIO, CTO or whoever we report to now. To the managers of the 30 new hires. To the cafeteria staff. All of 'em. This is THEIR fault, and THIER problem, not ours" was actually serious.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
It’s been difficult for members of my team (account management) to get timely and accurate project status updates from another team (infrastructure), so their manager and I had a small pow-wow to try and improve things roughly six weeks ago. At his suggestion, we agreed to a monthly overview meeting with both of our teams to get updates on the project calendar, address any client feedback, and otherwise keep everyone informed. The first of these meetings was slated for this afternoon.

His assistant (he’s one of the owners) has reminded him about this meeting on a weekly basis because she knows how much my team has been hampered by not having this information, and the rising frustration they’ve expressed at being kept in the dark about projects.

20 minutes before the scheduled meeting today the manager messages me asking what the meeting is about and why we need everyone from both teams there. I remind him that this meeting was his idea, he was in charge of setting the agenda, and that my team desperately needs the information, just like we had agreed.

“I’m not prepared to run a meeting like this. Let’s push it off to next month.”

And then he signed off for the day, without any discussion of what the teams should do in the meantime to coordinate.

Within five minutes of him canceling the meeting and posting the terse apology message to my team’s Slack channel I had every single person on my team DMing me to raise complaints, and a separate thread with his assistant sharing her mutual frustration.

Solving communication issues between these teams was a “top priority” last quarter, and for which exactly zero effort was made, a trend that continues.

I was also told earlier this week that I’m being laid off as soon as they take the time to start interviewing for my position, sometime within the next 3–6 months, so I also have that going for me. :downs:

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

FreshFeesh posted:

It’s been difficult for members of my team (account management) to get timely and accurate project status updates from another team (infrastructure), so their manager and I had a small pow-wow to try and improve things roughly six weeks ago. At his suggestion, we agreed to a monthly overview meeting with both of our teams to get updates on the project calendar, address any client feedback, and otherwise keep everyone informed. The first of these meetings was slated for this afternoon.

His assistant (he’s one of the owners) has reminded him about this meeting on a weekly basis because she knows how much my team has been hampered by not having this information, and the rising frustration they’ve expressed at being kept in the dark about projects.

20 minutes before the scheduled meeting today the manager messages me asking what the meeting is about and why we need everyone from both teams there. I remind him that this meeting was his idea, he was in charge of setting the agenda, and that my team desperately needs the information, just like we had agreed.

“I’m not prepared to run a meeting like this. Let’s push it off to next month.”

And then he signed off for the day, without any discussion of what the teams should do in the meantime to coordinate.

Within five minutes of him canceling the meeting and posting the terse apology message to my team’s Slack channel I had every single person on my team DMing me to raise complaints, and a separate thread with his assistant sharing her mutual frustration.

Solving communication issues between these teams was a “top priority” last quarter, and for which exactly zero effort was made, a trend that continues.

I was also told earlier this week that I’m being laid off as soon as they take the time to start interviewing for my position, sometime within the next 3–6 months, so I also have that going for me. :downs:

lmao find something else and just resign on the spot, gently caress them

is dude's name Robert

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
gently caress Robert.

And oh yeah, I’ve already started sending out applications [always keep your resume up to date, folks]

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

This thread actually made me realize that I'm pretty lucky with my job. I've not done a single hour of overtime in 3 years that I didn't immediately go home early the next day for, and my ceo just verbally approved a 2 month vacation end of year where I only have to work one week at the end of the month due to social security formalities.

Learned the no overtime lesson by an ex army colleague at a former company. "They wanted me to work longer hours but I told em to gently caress themselves. I'm selling my work performance to them, not giving it away. If they want more hours they better pay for it"

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I always tell the new hires to always steal from the company, those fucks are stealing your life away for dirt cheap so take those chips baby.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah. Better keep delaying releasing the Christmas beer we made because "sales aren't good". It's not like I need the limited cold room space and kegs in order to be able to clear tanks or anything.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Boss makes a dollar
I make a dime
That's why I organize
On company time

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

YeahTubaMike posted:

Subject: Difficult News to Share

And the day after my application for a new apartment gets accepted! :)

Bob sucks, boo!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Escape From Noise posted:

I do miss working four tens. Three day weekend every week!

I'm 2.5 years into a job that was supposed to be 4x10, on a good week is 4x12 and most weeks is 5x12 or even 6x12

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm 2.5 years into a job that was supposed to be 4x10, on a good week is 4x12 and most weeks is 5x12 or even 6x12

drat. That's rough. Although the pay sucked that place was really good about days off. I usually worked holidays but got compensated days off, which I actually preferred.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

YeahTubaMike posted:

Subject: Difficult News to Share

And the day after my application for a new apartment gets accepted! :)

Robert's are douchebags.
Bobby's are dumb.
Robbie's are somehow dumber.

Oddly, Rob's tend to be pretty cool. And Bob's tend to be really awkward, but generally friendly and well meaning.

But Robb's, with two B's, are amongst the worst people on the face of the planet. Cruel, manipulative, poo poo talking, scumbags. Seriously, 2 B's in the name "Rob" should be an instant signal to find a weapon and means of escape. Especially if they're obsessed with KISS.

(Yes, I had a bad experience with one once, why do you ask?)

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

Fun Shoe

blackmet posted:

Robert's are douchebags.
Bobby's are dumb.

Oddly, Rob's tend to be pretty cool. And Bob's tend to be really awkward, but generally friendly and well meaning.

But Robb's, with two B's, are amongst the worst people on the face of the planet. Cruel, manipulative, poo poo talking, scumbags. Seriously, 2 B's in the name "Rob" should be an instant signal to find a weapon and means of escape. Especially if they're obsessed with KISS.

My dad's a Bob and can confirm he's a sweet dork, my father in law is a Rob and he's a cool guy, one of my friends had a Robb for a roommate and he skipped out of rent and tried to steal poo poo. Theory is solid. Haven't had any experiences with a Robert.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Dumb poo poo your work does - gently caress You, Robert!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Tomn posted:

I second this motion!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

blackmet posted:

Robert's are douchebags.
Bobby's are dumb.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Checks out, although one of my dearest friends is named Robby so let them off easy imo

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

:(

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tomn posted:

Thirded

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Tomn posted:

TheMathyFolf
Sep 14, 2014

Tomn posted:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tomn posted:

Sixthed, on principle

edit: I can count

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tomn posted:

Endorsed in sequential order.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Tomn posted:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

My company decided to have a company wide slack channel where people can just talk about things that matter to them. One of,the first people to use it wrote a big post about how depression isn't real and people just need a better mindset instead of waking up everyday and telling themselves they're depressed.

Whoops. Channel closed await further guidelines.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Aramoro posted:

My company decided to have a company wide slack channel where people can just talk about things that matter to them. One of,the first people to use it wrote a big post about how depression isn't real and people just need a better mindset instead of waking up everyday and telling themselves they're depressed.

buncha dummies

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Aramoro posted:

Holy poo poo :catstare:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s dumb I’d never use something that would give my employer information about my life they could use against me.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

Fun Shoe

Aramoro posted:

well THAT honeypot caught someone quick

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

That reminds me, I should make a few Captain Tuttles in our system in case they try to do something like that slack channel and someone shows their rear end.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Pyrtanis posted:

well THAT honeypot caught someone quick
Vacant middle manager position filled :smugdog:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Invalid Validation posted:

That’s dumb I’d never use something that would give my employer information about my life they could use against me.

I basically pretend I don't exist as a human being outside of work hours. I try to absorb enough cultural osmosis to at least be knowledgeable enough to talk about whatever my coworkers favorite things are, but idgaf about cars chief. At work, I've never even heard of this marijuanna plant. Outside of work hours, :catdrugs:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I hate myself for loving to schmooze :cry:

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Aramoro posted:

At one of my previous jobs they stuck a big white board at the main entrance where people could write down what they were thankful for each day.

It was basically 90% covered with "JESUS!" "HALLELUJAH" "AMEN!" and 10% "coffee." A lot of people were uncomfortable with it, including myself. It's just weird to have that staring you in the face as you enter/exit a loving auto insurance call center.

I was talking about it on a smoke break with a coworker and she didn't like it much either. We concocted a plan. I went inside and wrote on the board that I was thankful for "Religious Freedom!" I mean, I am, and it's a reasonable thing to be thankful for. She wrote that she was thankful for "Buddha," because she had a little Buddha statue in her living room she really liked.

The next day the board was gone. I'd like to think we had a part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

blackmet posted:

At one of my previous jobs they stuck a big white board at the main entrance where people could write down what they were thankful for each day.

It was basically 90% covered with "JESUS!" "HALLELUJAH" "AMEN!" and 10% "coffee." A lot of people were uncomfortable with it, including myself. It's just weird to have that staring you in the face as you enter/exit a loving auto insurance call center.

I was talking about it on a smoke break with a coworker and she didn't like it much either. We concocted a plan. I went inside and wrote on the board that I was thankful for "Religious Freedom!" I mean, I am, and it's a reasonable thing to be thankful for. She wrote that she was thankful for "Buddha," because she had a little Buddha statue in her living room she really liked.

The next day the board was gone. I'd like to think we had a part.

I bet if you had put "Allah" you could have gotten the place closed for a few days.