Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

one day i want to buy a PRS custom and just cover it in sailor moon stickers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Helianthus Annuus posted:

it's slim pickings on the G&L B stock site right now, if you're a lefty who doesn't want a vibrato bridge. this asat looks cool, but... https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/products/copy-of-clf076302-year-2016

Haha oh yeah, to be clear I don’t ‘need’ another guitar right now… I was just watching that one anyway because GAS.

I’m glad it found a home that doesn’t get me in any more trouble :homebrew:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I really want to like this new Paul Gilbert Dio album but I can't, it's just still so lame. I think it's that he's playing the vocal parts on guitar, I appreciate that he gets the "mmmhmmm"s and whatnot but god it's still cringe.

I like Paul as a guy but drat I can't listen to any of the music he makes.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
I'm looking at some cheap JOYO pedals on amazon. Got myself a compressor, chorus, but I'm wondering if I need a distortion pedal for my Orange Rocker 15. Worth it to grab a metal/overdrive/tube screamer?

edit: also will any old footswitch work on this amp to go from clean to dirty channels?

drhankmccoyphd fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 2, 2023

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I'm looking at some cheap JOYO pedals on amazon. Got myself a compressor, chorus, but I'm wondering if I need a distortion pedal for my Orange Rocker 15. Worth it to grab a metal/overdrive/tube screamer?

edit: also will any old footswitch work on this amp to go from clean to dirty channels?

Let the thread know how the compressor is, I learned that I may need a compressor.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

TheMightyBoops posted:

Let the thread know how the compressor is, I learned that I may need a compressor.

I have a keeley 4 knobs compressor and its always on for single coil and always off for humbuckers. It really sounds great with a strat or tele.

Also, opinions on the Yamaha Revstar? I love the retro looks and quite fancy a double P90 guitar. Plus I have just found out is has a 24.75 scale length and steel frets which are a plus for me.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

I really hope you enjoy that guitar, because I had been eyeing it before someone posted it in this thread.
Alternately, if it doesn’t mesh with you let me know!

Absolute promise, you've got first dibs if I ever need to find it a new home.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

hard to believe its only 6.5 lbs! if that's accurate, you've got something special. sound demo? :ohdear:

I think it's pretty close if not dead on accurate. It's very light, I guess despite being swamp ash which ought to be heavier.

Here's a little scratch track I put together real fast https://vocaroo.com/14LGHqd12QKv
Tried to keep it simple and let the guitar speak for itself (which is not really my style at all... I like things overdriven to hell and back) but I hope I'm doing it a bit of justice in this... Greg Lake-ish spangle-jam.
It's so snappy

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

despite being swamp ash which ought to be heavier.

Swamp ash is generally on the lighter side, but it's really variable because it just means any ash tree that grows in a swamp and the wetter it was growing the lighter it's going to be. Between EAB and climate change swamp ash is basically going to stop existing very soon so I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of what's getting sold as "swamp ash" these days is on the denser end, maybe you just got really lucky with a nice light piece.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dysgenesis posted:

Also, opinions on the Yamaha Revstar? I love the retro looks and quite fancy a double P90 guitar. Plus I have just found out is has a 24.75 scale length and steel frets which are a plus for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fXXebgQkh0

This guy thinks it's pretty great.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

That's literally the exact one I'm looking at.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I watched a load of Revstar videos a while back and they seem to be unanimously liked. The only slight negative was one or two people questioning the dry switch on the Element vs the focus switch on the Standard. It's just a shame you can only get the rusty brass charcoal in the Pro version.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The Revstars are really, really good. Try them out.

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Any foot switch should but a heads up that if the connection is backwards you'll get "footswitch on" is first channel and "switch off" is second rather than the reverse. Not really an issue tho tbh. I had a Rocker 15 Terror and it ruled. The clean channel is versatile but don't sleep on the dirt channel, it rules.

A TS or OD is always nice to have in your arsenal imo

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Baron von Eevl posted:

Swamp ash is generally on the lighter side, but it's really variable because it just means any ash tree that grows in a swamp and the wetter it was growing the lighter it's going to be. Between EAB and climate change swamp ash is basically going to stop existing very soon so I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of what's getting sold as "swamp ash" these days is on the denser end, maybe you just got really lucky with a nice light piece.

This is a (sad) but fascinating thing that’s hitting the world of guitars. There’s a ton of wood species I’ve never seen before popping up, and it’s only going to get worse as forests get cut. On electrics tone won’t be as much of an issue, but I wonder how it’s going to effect weight and balance.

Richlite seems to be all around now, it’s definitely a lot nicer than I expected and I’d love to have it on more guitars, though it’s only a fingerboard thing. Some composite guitar like Aristides would be my ideal, but drat are those expensive.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A lot of woods are easy to grow and sustainable, and maybe some day emerald ash borer will become less invasive before ash goes extinct. Every single ash tree in my neighborhood, including the full street lined entirely with nearly 100-year old ashes, is dead.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
Chris Buck is playing a p90 revstar and he fuckin rips on it

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm supposed to be saving up money for post-grad, but I keep staring at the Ibanez FRH and the revstars and feel my willpower draining every day

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Buschmaki posted:

I'm supposed to be saving up money for post-grad, but I keep staring at the Ibanez FRH and the revstars and feel my willpower draining every day

Do they fill a practical hole in your collection or make better sounds for something you regularly play, or are you just dealing with guitar acquisition syndrome?

I've had a bunch of instances where I just caved to the latter and they just live on a rack now or got flipped on Reverb. I grab my ESP M-II or Telecaster the vast majority of the time I play guitar, especially with the transposing knob on Archetype Petrucci making it easy to play metal songs in different tunings. I like having an acoustic, a seven, and a bass around, but I've got like other superstrats/a strat/etc I barely touch and I think I could get rid of all of those and get a nice SG or LP for classic rock stuff and be set.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
frugality and hobbies mix like drugs and self control

absolutely no fun

burn all the money

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Trip Report: I signed up for buyorborrowmusic.com and so far it's been a good experience. I got their intro plan which is $20/mo for 1 item out at a time thats valued at $250 or less. I ordered a strymon Reverberator v1. Took maybe 3-4 days for the item to arrive once I signed up and populated my want list. The item arrived as expected, in pretty great condition, works great. They also emailed me a return label. Packaging was just a bubble envelope and the original factory box which is ok I guess. My one gripe is that they didn't include an power supply but that's not a big deal. So far it's worth the $20. The used prices to keep the items seem reasonable so I may do that. Also, the support chat has been responsive and clear when I had questions about the service. Recommend.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Southern Cassowary posted:

Do they fill a practical hole in your collection or make better sounds for something you regularly play, or are you just dealing with guitar acquisition syndrome?

I've had a bunch of instances where I just caved to the latter and they just live on a rack now or got flipped on Reverb. I grab my ESP M-II or Telecaster the vast majority of the time I play guitar, especially with the transposing knob on Archetype Petrucci making it easy to play metal songs in different tunings. I like having an acoustic, a seven, and a bass around, but I've got like other superstrats/a strat/etc I barely touch and I think I could get rid of all of those and get a nice SG or LP for classic rock stuff and be set.

I dont have an acoustic, I dont need a revstar but if I didnt get one it'd be cool to have some semi-hollowbodies. But I already have an SG and Strat so I should at least wait til after I move to become a guitar hoarder... Maybe I should start diving guitar center like that one guy in the thread, which is such a genius idea I dont know why other people dont do it

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Trip Report: I signed up for buyorborrowmusic.com and so far it's been a good experience. I got their intro plan which is $20/mo for 1 item out at a time thats valued at $250 or less. I ordered a strymon Reverberator v1. Took maybe 3-4 days for the item to arrive once I signed up and populated my want list. The item arrived as expected, in pretty great condition, works great. They also emailed me a return label. Packaging was just a bubble envelope and the original factory box which is ok I guess. My one gripe is that they didn't include an power supply but that's not a big deal. So far it's worth the $20. The used prices to keep the items seem reasonable so I may do that. Also, the support chat has been responsive and clear when I had questions about the service. Recommend.

sounds like a real time saver for people who are always buying and selling pedals online. thanks for the post

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

i checked this out, and it sounds like the TL;DR is that it has a lot of desirable features, like the carbon reinforced neck and stainless steel frets. but the weight could be comfy or pretty heavy, depending on which one you get.

you get fluctuation in weight for anything though, so thats a wash. i think it looks like a legit guitar, but there are many good options at that price point too

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Just started a custom body build (T-type body) at MJT, and a neck from Warmoth. Think I'll blog about the process of building it from scratch. By my estimates the final project will weigh around 5.5 lbs which my shoulder/back will sincerely appreciate.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Trip Report: I signed up for buyorborrowmusic.com

Recommend.

That looks fantastic. Thank you!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I love to play guitar just checkin in

my lp has a very thin neck I'm trying to find an sg with the same profile/feel but they've all felt like bats

isn't it usually the other way around

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

With the current models they tend to use 60s to mean thin neck and vintage or 50s to mean fat neck.

On LPs anyway, so I expect you can get both guitars with either neck style.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I’ve been playing for a long time and still don’t have a neck preference. I can can feel that the shapes are different. It may be that I don’t anchor my hand around the neck most of the time?

I hear people say certain neck shapes are unplayable for them though.

Edit: there is also some freak chance I’ve managed to buy guitars with all very similar necks throughout my entire life.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i can never remember the specs of the neck on this strat but aside from the whole frets dying in a year thing, it's the nicest feeling neck i've had.

i did not know that a maple neck requires more work to be refretted since it's finished, but at the same time, i didn't have a choice to get this with a not-maple neck, otherwise i would've just for looks.

blah

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

on monday some replacement screws are getting here and i'm just reeeeeaaaallllyyyy hoping i can get the stripped screw out somehow and raise the saddle enough to get rid of some of the buzzing. otherwise it'll be another couple weeks of me running into The Clang and it making me crazy.

reminder that it's this real bad buzz on the A string specifically on the 4th fret... so good luck playing a G#m or a C#m.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
G#m doesn't have that note, buster

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

G#m doesn't have that note, buster

yeah well thje jerk store called,

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

landgrabber posted:

yeah well thje jerk store called,

lol

Unrelated to any of this i bought a jackson dinky 7 string cause it was on sale for $150. I want to make this one a project, i bought a new nut and i'm gonna get some new tuners and pickups for it probably next paycheck. My question is about bridges - i see that people on the internet have replaced the bridge on this thing with such as a new $180 bridge from hipshot. I get that the bridge is one of the things that connects the strings to the body and that has an impact on overall tone, and i get that a bridge can help with like tuning stability, but how do i ascertain impact on tone vs diminishing returns w/r/t replacing a hardtail bridge with a different hardtail bridge compared to something more obvious like pickups? how do i know if it's worth it before i commit to buying it?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

landgrabber posted:

...The Clang...

is a great name for a Freakbeat band.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Stalizard posted:

lol

Unrelated to any of this i bought a jackson dinky 7 string cause it was on sale for $150. I want to make this one a project, i bought a new nut and i'm gonna get some new tuners and pickups for it probably next paycheck. My question is about bridges - i see that people on the internet have replaced the bridge on this thing with such as a new $180 bridge from hipshot. I get that the bridge is one of the things that connects the strings to the body and that has an impact on overall tone, and i get that a bridge can help with like tuning stability, but how do i ascertain impact on tone vs diminishing returns w/r/t replacing a hardtail bridge with a different hardtail bridge compared to something more obvious like pickups? how do i know if it's worth it before i commit to buying it?

Tone? Probably not a big deal. The hipshot bridge will be less likely to strip screws and poo poo like that though. Also Hipshot bridges look a lot better with the rounded corners and might even feel a little better on your hand. I have them on my Ormsby's and I'm satisfied with them.

I'd probably upgrade to locking tuners and a graphtech nut first before I did the bridge though.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

landgrabber posted:

reminder that it's this real bad buzz on the A string specifically on the 4th fret... so good luck playing a G#m or a C#m.

I don't know/remember all the stuff you've had checked out while troubleshooting the issue. Did you already confirm that there isn't a divot in the 4th fret under the A string? That could make the take-off point for the string at that fret lower than normal. That might make it buzz against the 5th fret specifically because it doesn't have the clearance it needs anymore.

I'm assuming there's no buzzing issues on any other strings in the lower positions, and none on the A when open or at frets 1-3. More widespread buzzing in low positions would make me think the truss rod nut needs to be loosened, but it sounded like Dr. Faustus checked how straight the neck was after the pickguard change.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Stalizard posted:

lol

If it stays in tune I wouldn’t bother buying a new bridge. Some parts of it may be made of materials that wear out fast, but you can swap those if it starts losing tuning stability.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Major Operation posted:

I don't know/remember all the stuff you've had checked out while troubleshooting the issue. Did you already confirm that there isn't a divot in the 4th fret under the A string? That could make the take-off point for the string at that fret lower than normal. That might make it buzz against the 5th fret specifically because it doesn't have the clearance it needs anymore.

I'm assuming there's no buzzing issues on any other strings in the lower positions, and none on the A when open or at frets 1-3. More widespread buzzing in low positions would make me think the truss rod nut needs to be loosened, but it sounded like Dr. Faustus checked how straight the neck was after the pickguard change.

there are no other buzzing issues, yeah. there wasn't any buzzing on that string before faust cleaned the neck but at the same time the action on that string was maxed out and hasn't been since then. and the intonation HAS been getting worse on that guitar.

here's the insane thing to me: i had the squier telecaster for three years, and did way more stupid poo poo on it. that guitar still plays fine. i had this strat for all of six months before i started getting a sitar effect on the 4th fret b string.

it just feels so loving ridiculous.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Okay so my ampro2 tele is routed for a humbucker in the neck. I want to get this pickup for the neck. It’ll fit. So far so good.

Pickguard though. I’m looking at WD and guitar fetish but those pickguards either have 1 hole on either side of the cutout or 2 on one side 1 on the other. The hell do I do with that if I want to use the pickup linked above that seems to need 2 holes on each side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Buy a pickguard you like and hack it