Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I like the implication throughout the game that Harry had actually seen the cold open and knew exactly what happened, but ended up forgetting about it after blacking out. There's probably a One Last Thing somewhere I'm forgetting about, but I think that's the more fun Columbo homage.

Wait what cold open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Every Columbo episode opens up with a cold open where we see who the killer is, and how they did it. There's a theory that Harry had completely solved the case before he did... whatever it was that wiped his brain.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think it’s a certainty that he’d more of less solved it given what Inland Empire says about love doing him in

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

how did he solve it then? given nobody acts like he's asked them all these same questions before? the deserter doesn't seem like he's met harry before, lilienne hasn't loaned him the boat before. unless you tell them most people don't even know about harry's memory wipe

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

look if I ever met good ol’ Tequila Sunset I’d pretend I didn’t know him either

e:
sent the buddy who introduced me to DE a screenshot of folks talking about Kim’s crank and his response was “
“I *have* been wanting to learn a visual novel engine... 👀”

will report back with progress should there be any

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Soon I'm starting a full fash run and be mean to Kim and there is nothing you can do about it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Make sure you have the precarious world thought running the first few times you do the big shivers check. You need to fail it and get put on the quest to call in to the radio station where you can really be mean to Kim

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I am incredibly late to the disco elysium party and I am not going to contribute anything of value, except to say that this game is indescribably good and I'm so glad I've managed to somehow go in blind, this long after release

If there still somehow exists other idiot losers like me that haven't played disco yet, just do yourself a favour and get to it

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Got my bf to start a game of DE completely blind, they are loving it just going through the dialogue and stuff right before leaving the Whirling in Rags. They are picking it up for the switch today so they can keep playing whenever.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

I am incredibly late to the disco elysium party and I am not going to contribute anything of value, except to say that this game is indescribably good and I'm so glad I've managed to somehow go in blind, this long after release

If there still somehow exists other idiot losers like me that haven't played disco yet, just do yourself a favour and get to it

:emptyquote:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Wafflecopper posted:

how did he solve it then? given nobody acts like he's asked them all these same questions before? the deserter doesn't seem like he's met harry before, lilienne hasn't loaned him the boat before. unless you tell them most people don't even know about harry's memory wipe

Nobody really knows, but if you talk to the hanged man and get the "communism killed me, but love did me in," line, you can keep pulling at those threads to Kim's increasing consternation. At the end, when it turns out to be a wholly accurate but unhelpful description of the actual murder, Inland Empire's best bet for knowing about it is that it's something Harry figured out and it's just been feeding you dramaticized memories. As for why he never really did anything with it during the big ol' bender, well, we can only speculate.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

Well there are two theories:

Either Harry is a detective genius on par with Sherlock Holmes who took one look at the bloated corpse, immediately deduced he was shot by a holdover communist sniper from a failed revolution 60 years ago, with a grudge against society, from an island several miles away, all without talking to any key witnesses or even an obvious bullet hole in the corpse.

Or he's mildly psychic, being sensitive and attuned to the pale gives him a sort of ESP that is filtered through his brain and manifests as these visions or thoughts

Personally my money's on the latter option

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Like I said, he watched the cold open.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

McCloud posted:

Well there are two theories:

Either Harry is a detective genius on par with Sherlock Holmes who took one look at the bloated corpse, immediately deduced he was shot by a holdover communist sniper from a failed revolution 60 years ago, with a grudge against society, from an island several miles away, all without talking to any key witnesses or even an obvious bullet hole in the corpse.

Or he's mildly psychic, being sensitive and attuned to the pale gives him a sort of ESP that is filtered through his brain and manifests as these visions or thoughts

Personally my money's on the latter option

He's a 'new style' detective

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I don’t think there’s anything in the game that supports anything other than Harry showed up and got completely wasted. It’s fun to think about, but imo his psyche skills/shivers being legit is completely reasonable given the setting and I never questioned them being legit before I read other peoples thoughts on the game

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I can see "Harry figured poo poo out first then forgot it again" being a legitimate possible reading of the game's text but the problem with it is that Shivers and Esprit de Corps often seem to clue Harry in to things happening either contemporaneously or in the future.

It certainly is *possible* that Harry figured some stuff out in advance, but it seems more *probable* that he's mildly psychic. Of course, those are non-exclusive options.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The game has supernatural elements to it, inland empires prescience being one of those things.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Nah, Shivers and Esprit de Corps are straight up magic, but Inland Empire is just Harry tapping into his entirely mundane subconscious and dressing it up for kicks, nothing supra-natural about that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Inland is the power of your ~IMAGINATION~

But combined with other stuff I wouldn't be surprised if it's adjacently supernatural.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I might be misremembering some dialogue, but Inland Empire seems to remember parts of Harry's past that he's trying to avoid. It freaks out when you're about to find your old ledger.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think a few of your mind voices do?

I think the implication from one of the thoughts you can get is that the information isn't entirely gone, but more that it's been locked away and you're selectively choosing which things to reintegrate? ("Cleaning out the Rooms")

That said, maybe Harry was mind wiped but he's reacquiring knowledge and memory plucked from the pale?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Gentlemen, we are not, eh, accusing anybody of any involvement in the murder at this time."

"Well of course not! Why... would you? We... certainly haven't committed any..... murders lately, right Leonard?"

"Bill, we're the murderers in like six episodes. Each. Remember the surgery one?"

"Yes, television... used the same actors a lot back... then."

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

i am a moron posted:

I don’t think there’s anything in the game that supports anything other than Harry showed up and got completely wasted. It’s fun to think about, but imo his psyche skills/shivers being legit is completely reasonable given the setting and I never questioned them being legit before I read other peoples thoughts on the game
There’s an early passive Inland Empire check that says ”in the West is the miracle” so either Inland Empire is at least partially extrasensory, or they meant to make that one Shivers or something.

E: Then again, I just found this snippet (spoilers!) so maybe Inland Empire is two steps ahead and talking about Harry from the start.

TACD fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 3, 2023

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:yossame:

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Boring Cop penalizes shivers and inland empire, but not espirit du corps. Conclusion: shivers and inland empire are extrasensory, espirit du corps is just fantasy, and Kim is a lame binoclard.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
A boring cop is still a cop why would it penalize espirit

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Janissary Hop posted:

Boring Cop penalizes shivers and inland empire, but not espirit du corps. Conclusion: shivers and inland empire are extrasensory, espirit du corps is just fantasy, and Kim is a lame binoclard.

Apocalypse Cop encourages shivers and inland empire and also :horsedrugs:

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

EorayMel posted:

Apocalypse Cop encourages shivers and inland empire and also :horsedrugs:

Why did the HORSE DRUGS artist make it look like someone spraying diahrea?

Edit: nvm it just clearly is.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm going to hazard a guess that horse drugs are not ideal for human consumption

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

TACD posted:

There’s an early passive Inland Empire check that says ”in the West is the miracle” so either Inland Empire is at least partially extrasensory, or they meant to make that one Shivers or something.

E: Then again, I just found this snippet (spoilers!) so maybe Inland Empire is two steps ahead and talking about Harry from the start.

Look, Harry figured out the murder but not all the details. This is my head canon. He couldn't possibly know the exacts of it but for the best drat detective EVER, he figured it out THE VIBE and decided to get loving blasted into oblivion at the *GESTURES ALL AROUND* of it all. You know?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

KORNOLOGY posted:

Why did the HORSE DRUGS artist make it look like someone spraying diahrea?

Edit: nvm it just clearly is.

I believe it is a reference to the COVID-19 pandemic; certain demographics decided that anti-parasitic medication would somehow work to treat a virus, and since medical professionals were reluctant to prescribe it, they would purchase veterinary supplies under false pretenses and ingest those.

Turns out that overdosing on horse dewormer causes you to poo poo your guts out, which was a popular topic of derision among goons.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Somewhere in an abandoned building lays Harry's full counter sniper setup, rifle, spotting scope, 50 packs of cigarettes. He deduced the killer by the glint of a scope he spotted after stepping out of his car. He never touched the body or asked anyone questions lest he spooks the sniper. Unfortunately, he thought about his ex for 5 seconds and was undone.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I believe it is a reference to the COVID-19 pandemic; certain demographics decided that anti-parasitic medication would somehow work to treat a virus, and since medical professionals were reluctant to prescribe it, they would purchase veterinary supplies under false pretenses and ingest those.

Turns out that overdosing on horse dewormer causes you to poo poo your guts out, which was a popular topic of derision among goons.

The oddest thing tho is that covid did make any parasitic infection worsen from a severely weakened immune system and you COULD take that specific med to make that specific kind of malady better but loving morons just decided it was proof it cured covid or the virus.

We're such stupid apes on this ball of dirt.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ElBrak posted:

Somewhere in an abandoned building lays Harry's full counter sniper setup, rifle, spotting scope, 50 packs of cigarettes. He deduced the killer by the glint of a scope he spotted after stepping out of his car. He never touched the body or asked anyone questions lest he spooks the sniper. Unfortunately, he thought about his ex for 5 seconds and was undone.

This.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

one of my ... well not *favorite* posts from the Event was when someone in an ivermectin group was like "there are worms in my stool, is this normal???" and folks were like "that's uhhh that's your intestinal lining"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I also recall that post; "poo poo your guts out" is not intended as a metaphor here.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqWDjJRhCkc&t=420s

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Harry is tragically straight, it's one of his many flaws.

That depends on the dialogue choices you make, conversations with The Smoker on the Balcony have some especially powerful "I'm latently bisexual and have no idea how to process the feelings of same sex attraction I'm currently experiencing" options.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah, not only is Harry not straight, Kim finds Harry's inability to realize that in a remotely productive way despite how glaringly obvious it is pretty hilarious. Up until he finds it annoying anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

ElBrak posted:

Oh poor ol' Harrier DuBois, thought of ants and died.