Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Hahaha this is pretty great. I really feel for Iowa folks. Like what are you even doing, Kirk?

“You can’t fire me, I have tenure”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

“You can’t fire me, I have tenure”
Punting from the plus-37 is an experiment protected by academic freedom.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ContextFreeCBB/status/1619505344920846342?t=-Dlbj7dGpslC5ZYBJ1NVYA&s=19

Good use of emoji

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

It's even funnier for horns down because it kinda looks like the back end of a cow

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Remember, Kirk couldn't even fire him if he wanted to. His son doesn't report to him :v:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1621499861756526592?s=20&t=1sAUUFRG4HpQbPTzTAn9mg

I really figured money would drive an early departure but I guess it wasn't enough.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Judgy Fucker posted:

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1621499861756526592?s=20&t=1sAUUFRG4HpQbPTzTAn9mg

I really figured money would drive an early departure but I guess it wasn't enough.

Texas is bad at using money for a program that seems to base their whole identity around money.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Look, you can’t put a number on value you get from upgrading from Tom Herman to Steve Sarkisian.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Look, you can’t put a number on value you get from upgrading from Tom Herman to Steve Sarkisian.

The savings on drinking water alone, my god

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

:lol:

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21/p3

Iowa ranked 130 out of 131 in total offense but the coach's son kept his job. Iowa dum-dums sure do have some weird fealty to Papa Ferentz.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Judgy Fucker posted:

So we have 2 years of this 14 team conference? poo poo is going to be weird, in basketball too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LLCoolJD posted:

Iowa ranked 130 out of 131 in total offense but the coach's son kept his job. Iowa dum-dums sure do have some weird fealty to Papa Ferentz.

Historically at least Ferentz goes through this like once every decade or so and then comes out with a 10 win season.

I mean last season wasn't even bad by record really, although by all rights it should have been.

He just exists, and we can not explain it.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Historically at least Ferentz goes through this like once every decade or so and then comes out with a 10 win season.

I mean last season wasn't even bad by record really, although by all rights it should have been.

He just exists, and we can not explain it.

It was some of the most brutally offensive to watch football I’ve ever seen and I saw Brian Schottenheimer run UGA’s offense with something called Hutson Mason

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I watched a lot of Bryan Stinespring offenses spin their wheels but Iowa's offense was barely distinguishable as an offense last season.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah let it be known I do not think anything good is going on with that program, just hedging bets against them somehow putting something together.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Just pay for Oklahoma to move, good god.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Iowa's defense is still probably good enough to get them to 7 or 8 wins next season, but I think a gap is going to begin to emerge between Wisconsin/Nebraska/Illinois and Iowa. Penn State is probably Iowa's surest loss next season, but every other game is still a toss up until one or more of the other teams in the west takes a major step forward to the level they had previously been.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I watched a lot of Bryan Stinespring offenses spin their wheels but Iowa's offense was barely distinguishable as an offense last season.

holy poo poo that's Stiney at Iowa's OC?!?

well now I understand completely.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

dirty shrimp money posted:

Just pay for Oklahoma to move, good god.

I have a suspicion that this is more about what ESPN/FOX want if they let those 2 go early. They signed an extension last year that takes them through 2030-2031 but I'm guessing the networks only signed it with the idea that OU/Texas wouldn't leave early.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

mdemone posted:

holy poo poo that's Stiney at Iowa's OC?!?

well now I understand completely.

Brian Ferentz, son of Kirk Ferentz, is the OC for Iowa. Much to the chagrin of Iowa fans at this point.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Maxwells Demon posted:

Brian Ferentz, son of Kirk Ferentz, is the OC for Iowa. Much to the chagrin of Iowa fans at this point.

And because of Iowa anti-nepotism laws he reports to the AD. Not to his dad. So technically Kirk can't fire him, though only an idiot doesn't believe Brian would be gone if his dad wanted him gone.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Maxwells Demon posted:

Oh I see. I was bamboozled.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

KKKLIP ART posted:

It was some of the most brutally offensive to watch football I’ve ever seen and I saw Brian Schottenheimer run UGA’s offense with something called Hutson Mason

we'll always have that 2015 game that convinced spurrier to hang up the headset for good

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I think a Hutson Mason won Le Mans in 1926

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cant wait for georgia qb Pierre Levegh

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
At least you guys actually have quarterbacks. :colbert:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

At least you guys actually have quarterbacks. :colbert:

Look, our offense couldn’t function with a one-dimensional QB. May as well see how it looks with a zero dimensional QB.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

LeeMajors posted:

Look, our offense couldn’t function with a one-dimensional QB. May as well see how it looks with a zero dimensional QB.

I mean a good qb is the point.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is pretty funny. Some programs are struggling with NIL, like offering to players they aren’t even recruiting.

https://www.outkick.com/college-football-recruiting-nil-name-image-likeness-utah-daevin-hobbs/

quote:

Hobbs recently spoke with Chris Hummer of 247 Sports and revealed a unique wrinkle to his recruitment revolving around the Utes. The 6-foot-3, 270-pound lineman said that it was not uncommon for a third party to reach out regarding an NIL opportunity.

In one instance, he received a direct message from a verified account with millions of followers. The person that messaged him offered $600,000 for Hobbs to play his college football at Utah.

Understandably, both he and his mother were in shock. That is almost as much money as a late-round NFL Draft pick’s rookie salary— being promised to him as a senior in high school.

While the promise of six figures sounds great, it leads back to the fact that Hobbs did not have an offer from Utah. The Utes were not recruiting Hobbs, as one of their boosters (for lack of better term) was offering him $600,000 in his direct messages.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
https://twitter.com/RadiNabulsi/status/1622260639405072389

from spurrier and meyer to this....god drat does it feel good.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

Schottenheimer's QB was Greyson Lambert. Then Faton Bauta that one game where Richt said screw it, let's use the running QB against Florida, and then Brian....didn't change the playbook.

Bobo actually squeezed a lot of juice out of Hutson Mason (though having Gurley around, then Chubb once Gurley got NCAA'd, helped).

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

Schottenheimer's QB was Greyson Lambert. Then Faton Bauta that one game where Richt said screw it, let's use the running QB against Florida, and then Brian....didn't change the playbook.

Bobo actually squeezed a lot of juice out of Hutson Mason (though having Gurley around, then Chubb once Gurley got NCAA'd, helped).

Gurley had the highes QBR that last Hutson Mason season

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Holy poo poo, the beach chickens pissed off the Mormons so bad they traveled ten years into the future.

https://fbschedules.com/byu-coastal-carolina-set-return-game-for-series-that-began-in-2020/

quote:

According to a copy of an amendment to that contract obtained from Coastal Carolina University by FBSchedules.com, a date for the return game is now set. Coastal Carolina will travel to take on BYU at LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo, Utah, on Sept. 17, 2033.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1622708246388817922?s=46&t=Pq_SMb7vqGjoUGCI2tuvWw

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1622710259130179584

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 6, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1622710217308864516

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If Iowa averages 25 points per game that’s probably like a 9-win season.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah, as ridiculous as it is it seems like he will have kinda earned that money and extension if they get there somehow.

Kirk isn't going anywhere so all you need is...somewhat competent.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 6, 2023

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I know Kirk will be a hall of famer and has done a pretty great job winning consistently for a long time, but I’d be going loving insane as an Iowa fan if that level of nepotism was hobbling my program.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

I know Kirk will be a hall of famer and has done a pretty great job winning consistently for a long time, but I’d be going loving insane as an Iowa fan if that level of nepotism was hobbling my program.

It is worth noting this is calling for Brian to be light years better than they were last year. Being kinda so-so effective on offense would be such a huge improvement for them, and I don't know that he can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
25ppg puts them middle of the road right? Or not even that?