Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eimi posted:

Diamant is also one of the few people with the bld growth to actually use S rank weapons well. Like of the S rank weapons you get naturally, the good ones would be Calabolg, super heavy but strong sword, Brionic, a spear but even heavier, Nova, brave tome actually worthy of S tier, and Cindequenda, a good dagger you get on the second to last map that's maybe as strong as +3 silver. Nova is easily the best, Calabolg is fine on Diamant because it's base damage is good and you're probably running a +hit skill on him because his dex cap sucks. Brionic suffers because every spear user I've used has noodly arms and can't heft the drat thing anyway. The rest of the S ranks are smash weapons, and thus useless. All weapons losing accuracy as you get higher in rank also hurts them, as their damage increase is nowhere near strong enough to matter to me. The rest are from country donations and I'm never donating enough to unlock one let alone all 4 to test.

Yeah I'd agree with this take. The S-rank spear especially seems like... who is this for? Pretty much exclusively a lance General who's already getting doubled by everything I guess?

What's funny is that the S-rank sword would actually be really good on my Alear, who has somehow capped Bld, but he can't use S-rank swords in Divine Dragon and I enjoy the benefits of the Dragon type too much to make him a Swordmaster or something.

I don't mind the loss of accuracy too much since I think it generally works out on most characters who aren't, like, Diamant. I also think it's a better way of balancing the higher-ranked weapons without durability than Fates's system of having gigantic drawbacks to them. But it does mean that anyone with low Dex ends up struggling to reliably hit in the late game. I'm actually struggling with Louis right now because without Sigurd stapled to him he's frustratingly inaccurate and I'd rather have Sigurd on Chloe (having like 11 flying move while engaged is very funny)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the s-rank spear is for louis so he can do 60 damage to people while taking 0

it's v fun

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah but he can't use it unless he's a General and then he either has to be permanently attached to Sigurd or he'll never get anywhere

Well I guess he could be a Halberdier but then he won't be taking 0 damage.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Since I'm a dlc haver my basic build was just starsphere + lineage on everyone for number go up, and once people started dex capping I'd get them +hit from Sigurd swapping lineage out for that. So it's certainly a solvable issue.

I wonder what the best weapon loadout will be for a more optimized run where you're just forging specific things, and I worry it will essentially be all killer weapons, which I find boring. I like some units being able to rely on high base damage, but at least my army had a bunch of people where it felt like that'd never work out and it had to be crit fishing for everyone but Diamant.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Harrow posted:

Yeah but he can't use it unless he's a General and then he either has to be permanently attached to Sigurd or he'll never get anywhere

Well I guess he could be a Halberdier but then he won't be taking 0 damage.

who else are you giving your midgame boots to

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I thought Alcryst was a dumb baby so I was using Etie but his unique class sounds awesome. Too bad leveling up weaker units is impossibly hard when all of my skirmishes are lv19!

Micaiah is the ultimate power leveling emblem if you need to raise just one unit.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Timerra gets S lances in her base class and also doesn't really care about speed.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
What outside of their standard promotion classes has anyone done? Anyone find a particularly good one? I have been using everyone, so I am open to experimentation. I've only really settled on making Anna a bow knight---I know people like turning her into a magic user because of her high magic score, but I have this lovely new magic bow that feels like it was made for her.

Also, how deal-breaking is the Royal Knight class skill? It seems actively harmful, but that stat array is real tempting on a couple of people.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Timerra gets S lances in her base class and also doesn't really care about speed.

Timerra is also useless on Maddening if she can't activate Sandstorm. Her Str and hp are questionably low.

I'm having Anna as a high priest, she *will* get the highest luck possible for monetary gain.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I had regretted playing on normal 8 hours in but didn’t want to replay 8 hours. Now I’m far enough in to get Rosado and Goldmary and I really wish I didn’t play normal. I never need to worry about skills from inheritance, rarely need to engage, and can mostly just move my dudes up and attack enemies.

The Ike skill Grand Aether or whatever is useless because I can run into a group of dudes and pop it but they will either run out of range on their turn or they will attack my team and be countered to death so no one gets hit with the move.

As an aside, why does Rosado have to wear a body suit under the swimsuit when no one else has to? It looks odd.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Overbite posted:

I had regretted playing on normal 8 hours in but didn’t want to replay 8 hours. Now I’m far enough in to get Rosado and Goldmary and I really wish I didn’t play normal. I never need to worry about skills from inheritance, rarely need to engage, and can mostly just move my dudes up and attack enemies.

The Ike skill Grand Aether or whatever is useless because I can run into a group of dudes and pop it but they will either run out of range on their turn or they will attack my team and be countered to death so no one gets hit with the move.

As an aside, why does Rosado have to wear a body suit under the swimsuit when no one else has to? It looks odd.

The point is you sending the great aether person out where only they can get hit

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Panette can’t run that far.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

It's what the warp staff is for

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Ah I forgot those existed. I haven’t had to buy gear or even upgrade it.

Seriously, don’t play normal. It’s too easy.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The maddening stat bloat is in full force now for me btw, Recommended level 18 skirmish I checked out for fun has snipers with 40 phys atk and swordmasters with 28 speed.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hard is honestly pretty easy, too. I just don't want to play maddening because of fixed growths feeling like a game that isn't Fire Emblem. But y'all keep telling me I'll stop being able to use everyone, and I'm still plugging along, just finished chapter 15.

Skirmishes are currently impossible because I accidentally made Alear 10 levels higher than everyone else because I didn't realize he had lineage for most of the game, but the regular maps aren't really difficult, regardless of who I take.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Imo it owns that Lyn clones are a reference to GBA swordmaster crit animations

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Hard is honestly pretty easy, too. I just don't want to play maddening because of fixed growths feeling like a game that isn't Fire Emblem. But y'all keep telling me I'll stop being able to use everyone, and I'm still plugging along, just finished chapter 15.

Skirmishes are currently impossible because I accidentally made Alear 10 levels higher than everyone else because I didn't realize he had lineage for most of the game, but the regular maps aren't really difficult, regardless of who I take.

There will be a real difficulty spike after 16 and more towards the endgame.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Eimi posted:

Since I'm a dlc haver my basic build was just starsphere + lineage on everyone for number go up, and once people started dex capping I'd get them +hit from Sigurd swapping lineage out for that. So it's certainly a solvable issue.

I wonder what the best weapon loadout will be for a more optimized run where you're just forging specific things, and I worry it will essentially be all killer weapons, which I find boring. I like some units being able to rely on high base damage, but at least my army had a bunch of people where it felt like that'd never work out and it had to be crit fishing for everyone but Diamant.

What do you think is the best +Hit to buy? Hit +15 seems reasonable at 1000 but any higher sounds like too much.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

FrickenMoron posted:

There will be a real difficulty spike after 16 and more towards the endgame.

I would hope so. That's the final third of the game.

I also haven't promoted the vast majority of my units, and promotions are essentially 3-5 levels worth of stats. I think I will be fine.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The spike after 15 or so is considerable. Other than chapter 5, I played on maddening without letting anyone die. Currently on 18 or so and I've had to embrace the fact that I'm playing on maddening/casual because keeping everyone alive AND getting the objectives is proving too much for me unless I wanna spend several days on each chapter.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Do more missions have the "clock" from mission 15 or something? I was kind of annoyed that despite being roughly ten levels above where he should be, those guys could still roadhouse Alear.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
After playing Engage Maddening, I honestly have really started to like fixed growths. It's not the same experience as normal FE growths, but it gives every character a really unique texture and feel and makes it feel like you can evaluate how good a character is going to be and what they excel at objectively. It also means that while you do miss out on having someone luck into being a god unit, you never have the issue of a character you really wanted to use just whiffing a million levels in a row and becoming completely useless.

I kind of like the "normal/hard use normal growths, maddening uses fixed growths" paradigm.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Do more missions have the "clock" from mission 15 or something? I was kind of annoyed that despite being roughly ten levels above where he should be, those guys could still roadhouse Alear.

If you mean the super warrior reinforcements, yeah those are a clock meant to force you forward. You can absolutely beat them if you group up and dump engages into them, but they're meant to be insanely powerful at that point.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

What outside of their standard promotion classes has anyone done? Anyone find a particularly good one? I have been using everyone, so I am open to experimentation. I've only really settled on making Anna a bow knight---I know people like turning her into a magic user because of her high magic score, but I have this lovely new magic bow that feels like it was made for her.

Also, how deal-breaking is the Royal Knight class skill? It seems actively harmful, but that stat array is real tempting on a couple of people.

I did Jade as a warrior and she really performed well. She fell off a bit at the end game but she was a really solid midgamer for me with good bulk and damage, she even had pretty good speed for an axe user though she slowly lost that and her defense didn't quite keep up, but her str did.

ROFL Octopus posted:

What do you think is the best +Hit to buy? Hit +15 seems reasonable at 1000 but any higher sounds like too much.

You don't lose anything, so buy whatever you can afford, if you hit +10, +15 is just 500 sp. You are never penalized for buying the lower tier.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Eimi posted:

I did Jade as a warrior and she really performed well. She fell off a bit at the end game but she was a really solid midgamer for me with good bulk and damage, she even had pretty good speed for an axe user though she slowly lost that and her defense didn't quite keep up, but her str did.

You don't lose anything, so buy whatever you can afford, if you hit +10, +15 is just 500 sp. You are never penalized for buying the lower tier.

I might consider that an option for Jade. To add to my pile of options. Which are various and often weird. I've spent more time trying to figure out what to do with her than anyone else, just because she utterly fails as an axe armor, but seemingly has a decent array of stats, including an intriguingly high resist.

Although, I didn't think to just stick Ike on her and be done; I assume that solves all of her armor problems immediately.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

I might consider that an option for Jade. To add to my pile of options. Which are various and often weird. I've spent more time trying to figure out what to do with her than anyone else, just because she utterly fails as an axe armor, but seemingly has a decent array of stats, including an intriguingly high resist.

Although, I didn't think to just stick Ike on her and be done; I assume that solves all of her armor problems immediately.

I used Edelgard on her since warrior gets axes and bows, but yeah without dlc Ike or Roy are both good picks.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So Lucina on a Qi Adept is hilariously stupid. Dual Guard just completely cheeses maps.

EDIT: Upon promoting Zelkov to a Wolf Knight, I have found that anyone who promotes to the class gets a random wolf tail. This is adorable and hilarious :allears:.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 3, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Eimi posted:

I used Edelgard on her since warrior gets axes and bows, but yeah without dlc Ike or Roy are both good picks.

I either don't use one on her or I give her Lucina, because a rapier can solve some of her issues and hey, if she can't be a real tank, she may as well be good at protecting her allies anyhow. One day I will have emblems for every unit fielded, and that will be a joyous day.

After making the horrible, horrible, I can not stress this enough, horrible mistake for my specific play style of putting Edelgard on Alear for most of the game, I now use Edelgard on whatever unit is lagging behind the most, but if my units are all within one level (barring Alear) which is where I like them, I put the kids on my most questionable unit, because Falling Star is two get out of jail free cards that have a good chance of killing something, as an added bonus.

I'll run Tiki on whoever has the lowest total stats. Not just for stat growth, but because Tiki will literally replace them with a really good unit.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Finished up my blind Maddening/Classic run. I missed two bonus objectives across the game but nobody died and I never had to restart a map. (Well, Ike paralogue and wedding ring map, but I didn't spend enough time's pulse on either of those on my second run that I wouldn't simply have been able to pulse back to the beginning)

I have a lot of thoughts about this game.

At the core it's Fire Emblem so I had fun the entire way, but broadly on almost every level it's not really what I want to see out of the series.

I imagine each of the thoughts I have will probably stir up a hornet's nest as I am wont to do, so I'll stagger them.

For gameplay:

When I was talking in this thread last week about my early impressions, I said that Maddening and Engage struck me as a very defensive game, filled with careful pulls and beating down small groups of enemies. I think that first impression was right to an extent, but I can refine it now.

It's a low damage game. That is to say, most of your units relative to what the AI fields won't be able to kill an enemy in less than three actions. This is then combined with constant reinforcement waves. The result is typically a situation where the only real way to deal with a map is to kill reinforcement waves as they spawn one by one, because you need all your actions to defeat the wave and as such can't progress until the waves stop spawning. You might be able to all in on the boss, but, especially on later maps, you typically need near a full turn of actions to kill a boss. So you have to get at the very least into close enough range that you can goddess dance units there. And that takes time and just sitting down and beating out every reinforcement.

I found myself getting frustrated near the end of the game because I was so genuinely bored of fighting off reinforcement waves that weren't threatening me, but equally were just preventing my progress on any given map.

I contrasted Three houses Maddening, which is a mode I love, and noted that broadly, a suboptimal Three Houses run I did had Constance, Lysithea, Edelgard, Leonie, Jeritza and Shamir all with the ability to one round enemies compared to Engage where I only really had Panette and Citrine at that level.

Some of that is because I was running blind and played suboptimally with certain characters. If I had reclassed Jean to Axe fighter when I got him and then into Wyvern Lord or Berserker, I might well have ended up with a second Panette for example. But as noted, the above three houses run was *nowhere* near optimal and I had a much greater diversity of characters that could put in work.

So it ended up being a game that for lack of a good word, felt grindy. Slowly whittling down the opposing army for small gains of movement until I bust out goddess dance for a single turn of real offense I'm allowed each map. And that just doesn't feel good to me relative to the explosive attack power you have at your fingertips in three houses.

There's more to talk about with regard to map design and broadly how Engage treats reinforcements, but let's stop it there for the moment.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wrong.

what are even the maps with constant reinforcement waves that spawn on top of you and you're expected to kill? are you doing the maps one tile at a time or something?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't played Engage Maddening yet, but my experience with 3H Maddening was that it was a very defensive mode, and that was exacerbated by the ambush reinforcements (a mechanic I would love to never ever see again). Maybe if I played 3H Maddening more than once I'd adapt and could play more aggressively, but if that's the case, it might be the case for Engage Maddening as well.

Endorph posted:

what are even the maps with constant reinforcement waves that spawn on top of you and you're expected to kill? are you doing the maps one tile at a time or something?

I can think of a couple maps I recently played that have multiple waves of reinforcements that spawn close to where your army might be unless you play really aggressively (Chapter 21, Roy's paralogue) but I imagine if I'd played more aggressively I would've been able to outrun them. I was able to split my army and leave a few people to guard the back line from reinforcements while the front line pushed forward, but again I'm on hard, not sure if that's more punishing on maddening.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 3, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean in roy's paralogue isnt that more a reflection of fe6 and not this game

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Natural 20:
I understand and appreciate your point of view as valid. I want to say that what you see on Engage is a thing I notice as well, but it's also, for the most part, something that I prefer about the game. Cutting out any language on optimization, anyhow. But I suspect you like to optimize for the same reason you prefer the other style of play, or at least they're related concepts.

Engage feels like a much more... Uh, thrilling game to play by the seat of your pants than 3H did. There's a lot of room for experimentation and, frankly, getting a little weird with it. But I imagine some of these maps would just feel endless if it got to a point where it wasn't actually a threat. The old tactics vs strategy thing. 3H is very much the strategist's game.... Even how you build units in 3H requires lots of planning in advance.

I don't think 3H fans or Engage fans have much to worry about. As stuck in some of its ways as Fire Emblem is as a series, it also strives to innovate while still acknowledging its own past.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The only times on maddening where I felt there were too many reinforcements, it was because maddening just has a lot of units period. I don't think I've ever just sat there and mowed down wave after wave of them. There's usually one wave at an annoying time, maybe? Like, maddening has a ton of enemies, but I think rarely do they just show up out of the blue wave after wave. They're all just there and annoying and sometimes warp into you like assholes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

wrong.

Yeah I figured someone would say this.

Examples are Chapter 21 where the game reinforces 6 units per turn. Many of the paralogues, e.g. Roy where it's going to spawn 6-7 wyverns per turn. These are immediate threats and you need to take them down because they will kill your casters if you let them.

Harrow posted:

I haven't played Engage Maddening yet, but my experience with 3H Maddening was that it was a very defensive mode, and that was exacerbated by the ambush reinforcements (a mechanic I would love to never ever see again). Maybe if I played 3H Maddening more than once I'd adapt and could play more aggressively, but if that's the case, it might be the case for Engage Maddening as well.

This is actually something I disagree on. Ambush reinforcements generally should encourage offense, because the further you clear from the reinforcement edge, the better chance that they don't do anything on reinforcement.

Granted there are maps where they're terrible, Enbarr 1 on Verdant Wind/Silver Snow was really bad about this, but you also get maps like Tailtean plains where same turn reinforcements come in from behind you after x turns and they mean you have to attack in.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

I imagine if I'd played more aggressively I would've been able to outrun them

take a look at this minimap from the final turn of my chapter 21 maddening:

The enemy quality reminds me a lot of the DS games, but less exaggerated. Enemies will 2HKO anyone who isn't a tank, and will take at least two round of combat from anyone who isn't top tier offense, which means facing multiple waves of enemies simultaneously is deadly and the best strategy to deal with reinforcements is to not deal with them at all and just win without fighting them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ultimately id compare fire emblem to devil may cry as weird a comparison as that is to make. theyre both games where you can mostly lame out the game by playing extremely safely or you can take risks and go for more thrilling stuff. in fe's case the rewards are more low turn counts/villages/etc than ranking points, because most of the games with actual ranking use incomprehensible metrics, but just the fact that they experimented with that for a while kinda bears out the comparison.

i can somewhat understand where you're coming from in terms of enemies being beefy but that made taking them down while still moving quickly an exciting puzzle instead of 'a point blank volley person kills them.' if you use emblem rings aggressively instead of saving them all for the boss, use heavy weapons and eat the hit and then make up for that with chain guard/bonded shield/micaiah's aoe heals, etc, you can take out enemies efficiently instead of bunkering down. that to me is much more exciting and thrilling.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and again the paralogues with a bunch of reinforcement waves are like that as references to those games' designs. sigurd's paralogue dropping 30 guys on you after the first part of the map doesnt mean that engage's design is like that. fe6 loved drowning you in wyvern reinforcements, roy's paralogue is referencing that. as a point of reference for engage's design, it's useless.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

take a look at this minimap from the final turn of my chapter 21 maddening:

The enemy quality reminds me a lot of the DS games, but less exaggerated. Enemies will 2HKO anyone who isn't a tank, and will take at least two round of combat from anyone who isn't top tier offense, which means facing multiple waves of enemies simultaneously is deadly and the best strategy to deal with reinforcements is to not deal with them at all and just win without fighting them

lmao holy poo poo that rules

Yeah that's not how I did that at all on Hard. I had a few people hanging back mopping up reinforcements while I tried to set up a perfect dynamic entry to blitz the boss all at once with my front-liners. But I also insisted on killing all the minions around the boss for that sweet EXP which definitely made me go slower than a "just kill the boss" approach would've.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Should I be upgrading the early weapons like iron and steel? On Hard Classic, Chapter 7 I think (just got to Brodia) and I've been super conservative with my blacksmithing because I don't have a sense for what I'll need later. I threw a few +1's on the special weapons like Ridersbane that don't seem to have better versions, and on Alear's Liberation, but that's about it.