Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

dr_rat posted:

Oh yeah, and it some how it works pretty drat well for for him, so certainly not a bad thing. Still I wouldn't trust him not to get very basic things wrong about how people actually live.

Like if it turned out he didn't know how to tie his shoe laces because he'd never seen it done in a movie, I'd just be, "yep, that sounds about right".

Tarantino considers tying shoelaces to be mild bondage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
In Jon Wick 3, when Ian McShane touches the hand print scanner to get into his armory, the glowing print left on the pad isn't even close to where he touched it. It's like an inch to low.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Watching Fleishman Is in Trouble. The very first line of the series says that Toby has spent his entire life in New York City. In an episode 3 flashback he takes Rachel to meet his family...in Los Angeles.

It says he spent his entire adult life in NYC.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Pneub posted:

In Jon Wick 3, when Ian McShane touches the hand print scanner to get into his armory, the glowing print left on the pad isn't even close to where he touched it. It's like an inch to low.

Perfect post for this thread, thank you

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Episode 207: "The Hidden Leaf Village never takes innocent life!" This is doubtful, considering the multiple wars.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mamkute posted:

Naruto Episode 207: "The Hidden Leaf Village never takes innocent life!" This is doubtful, considering the multiple wars.

That's actually a major plot point later on.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I just watched the last episode of Lost.

My irrational irritation isn't with the show but more how I let the public's reaction to the ending keep me from finishing it. Now to be fair, that wasn't the only reason I never watched the final season but it is a big part of why I hadn't picked it back up sooner

Despite what people let me believe, the ending is absolutely fine. I was told/read/whatever that the island is actually purgatory and they all died in the crash which is super lame because that was what everyone guessed and it's all a confusing mess that doesn't make sense and bla bla bla but nothing of what I saw supports that really.

Hell, during the final scenes Jack's dad explicitly says that what happened on the island happened for real, and while everyone dies eventually they didn't all die in the island. Some died (presumably) years after escaping. My interpretation is that all the stuff we see about Jack having a son and John and Ben being teachers etc. is how their life would've/should've turned out if Jacob hadn't hosed their poo poo up. Like the island hosed with the natural order of things so you get a second/parallel chance at life before moving on to whatever comes next.

I was honestly prepared for a super disappointing or lovely ending and pleasantly surprised. It wasn't great, but it's perfectly fine.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah everyone who thought that about the ending was very dumb. The ending was fine, just the last several seasons are all pretty bad and honestly the show doesn't hold up at all beyond the mystery box element.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
'Walkabout' is one of the best TV episodes I've ever seen. Talk about peaking early.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Taeke posted:

My irrational irritation isn't with the show but more how I let the public's reaction to the ending keep me from finishing it. Now to be fair, that wasn't the only reason I never watched the final season but it is a big part of why I hadn't picked it back up sooner

Despite what people let me believe, the ending is absolutely fine. I was told/read/whatever that the island is actually purgatory and they all died in the crash which is super lame because that was what everyone guessed and it's all a confusing mess that doesn't make sense and bla bla bla but nothing of what I saw supports that really.

Hell, during the final scenes Jack's dad explicitly says that what happened on the island happened for real, and while everyone dies eventually they didn't all die in the island. Some died (presumably) years after escaping. My interpretation is that all the stuff we see about Jack having a son and John and Ben being teachers etc. is how their life would've/should've turned out if Jacob hadn't hosed their poo poo up. Like the island hosed with the natural order of things so you get a second/parallel chance at life before moving on to whatever comes next.

I was honestly prepared for a super disappointing or lovely ending and pleasantly surprised. It wasn't great, but it's perfectly fine.

My irritation with the last episode wasn't with that thread, it was with the magic drain-stopper macguffin that was introduced literally the episode before.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
You have had years of expecting it to be bad though, tempering your expectations. At the time (especially during the earlier seasons) the lost hype was massive, I think people just expected a lot more overall.

I think the enthusiasm has started tailing off by that point though, can't remember too well I was never a huge fan.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I remember our entire friend group gathering every loving week to watch the newest episode as soon as it was put up on piratebay after airing in the US. But only for like, the first three seasons. By the end we were like three people mostly there out of an self imposed obligation to see it through.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Taeke posted:

Yeah the sad but funny thing about the lost ending is that a lot of people really didn't get it. But at the same time its not a great ending anyway. Not bad just meh. So trying to figure out if the people complaining hate it because it was just a bit boring, or because they think the island was purgatory, can be surprisingly difficult.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The main flaw in lost was not the ending but it's insistence that Jack and Kate were interesting and should be front and centre all the time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

The main flaw in lost was not the ending but it's insistence that Jack and Kate were interesting and should be front and centre all the time.

That seems to be the curse of a fair number of shows. They got a wide, interesting array of characters, but the plot only ever focuses on The Designated Protagonist(s). Most recently that annoyed me in The Expanse, where you've got a whole bunch of entertaining characters with their own plots going on, but the show very much wants you to care about the solar system's most generic man James Holden. It did get a bit better about it in the later seasons, but never could shake that habit entirely.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh yeah the other reason everyone hated the Lost finale is because they wanted answers, just a big list of answers explaining exactly what everything was and how it worked, and they didn't get that.

I mean they got like 30% of them with the penultimate episode, but that wasn't enough.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Lost didn't bother me nearly as much as Battlestar Galactica because at least Lost didn't promise that everything would be explained in the opening credits of every loving episode.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Lost had a great ending, and it's interesting to rewatch if you interpret the function of the island as making the Bardo Thodol real*. Or I guess that early tibetan Buddhism is actually real, and the island's function is to hack its rules

*fourth season on, since the ending wasn't even decided on until then

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

That seems to be the curse of a fair number of shows. They got a wide, interesting array of characters, but the plot only ever focuses on The Designated Protagonist(s). Most recently that annoyed me in The Expanse, where you've got a whole bunch of entertaining characters with their own plots going on, but the show very much wants you to care about the solar system's most generic man James Holden. It did get a bit better about it in the later seasons, but never could shake that habit entirely.

Holden does get called out on having protagonist syndrome in both the books and the show

Not that doing so actually matters a ton, because the authors keep writing him to do protagonist syndrome poo poo anyway, but there is an awareness

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Taeke posted:

The original tv version of Lost ended with a long pan over the crashed plane and an empty trackless beach, implying nobody actually got out of the wreck.

Producers claim this shot was included a mistake, and it was not included in later releases.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Lost didn't bother me nearly as much as Battlestar Galactica because at least Lost didn't promise that everything would be explained in the opening credits of every loving episode.

"And they have a plan" just got progressively funnier in the opening crawl as the seasons went on.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
After the show was over they released two movies, one of which was called "The Plan", and they still didn't loving explain anything.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ravenfood posted:

"And they have a plan" just got progressively funnier in the opening crawl as the seasons went on.

The one cool thing about the opening credits was the whiteboard getting updated for every episode.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I wonder how many series were presented as mysterious stories from auteur showrunners but turned out to be nonsense they made up as they went.

All of Battlestar and the first half of Lost of course, but I'm sure there are more

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

After the show was over they released two movies, one of which was called "The Plan", and they still didn't loving explain anything.
The plan was to get renewed and keep getting paid.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Manager Hoyden posted:

I wonder how many series were presented as mysterious stories from auteur showrunners but turned out to be nonsense they made up as they went.

All of Battlestar and the first half of Lost of course, but I'm sure there are more
The X-Files' conspiracy metaplot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Perestroika posted:

That one's based on a book though, so the only story they have to follow is his.

Lost could have pivoted at any time. They were making it up as they went along anyway.

And the closest thing resembling a plan is one guy's motivation, kept secret from all the others.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Splicer posted:

The X-Files' conspiracy metaplot.

When did X-Files go from "monster of the week with implications that government departments are at odds with each other" to "giant metaplot" anyways? I know that there were hints of bigger conspiracies early on, but not a massive metaplot until much later on.

How has X-Files held up anyways? Is it worth watching through or should it just be left to the sands of time?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Randalor posted:

When did X-Files go from "monster of the week with implications that government departments are at odds with each other" to "giant metaplot" anyways? I know that there were hints of bigger conspiracies early on, but not a massive metaplot until much later on.

How has X-Files held up anyways? Is it worth watching through or should it just be left to the sands of time?
Just watch these ones: https://x-files.fandom.com/wiki/Monster_of_the_Week

There's a definite nostalgia requirement but there's definite gems in there. Tooms is still creepy as hell.

e: lol seasons 5, 8, and 9 are more than 50% metaplot.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Feb 3, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of shows having bad endings I absolutely hated the end of HBO's Watchmen series. Just the idea of anyone trying to steal Doctor Manhattan's "power" is completely dumb. Like he had some special energy to him that could be transferred around.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Splicer posted:

Just watch these ones: https://x-files.fandom.com/wiki/Monster_of_the_Week

There's a definite nostalgia requirement but there's definite gems in there. Tooms is still creepy as hell.

e: lol seasons 5, 8, and 9 are more than 50% metaplot.

Watch any episode that Darin Morgan touched, they're all very good (he acted in The Host and Small Potatoes, had a story credit on Blood, wrote Humbug, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, War of the Coprophages, Jose Chung's From Outer Space, Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster, and The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat, did a script pass on Quagmire, and had a cameo in Pusher) and the ones he has the primary writing credit on are among the absolute best in the series.

Also Beyond The Sea is great, it has a top tier Brad Douriff performance.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oh yeah the other reason everyone hated the Lost finale is because they wanted answers, just a big list of answers explaining exactly what everything was and how it worked, and they didn't get that.

I mean they got like 30% of them with the penultimate episode, but that wasn't enough.

The main mystery of "what's up with this island" is never addressed. The explanations simply progressively explain that no one knows what's up with this island. The Others? Don't know poo poo. Mysterious priest-like guy with fantastic lashes? Doesn't know poo poo. Beige god and smoky devil of the island? Been around for centuries, don't know poo poo. Their 'mom' may have known something, but didn't tell them.

The stuff we do learn is unsatisfying. Mysterious ancient temple? Doesn't mean poo poo. You thought it was evidence of the civilization that made the island? No. Not actually that ancient, a single guy built it, and then abandoned it, because he lived for centuries and was bored.

Technology that powers the island? ??? Thing that turned a regular dude into a smoke monster? ??? Who made the thing that let the beige god visit those people off the island? ??? Is it straight up magic or advanced technology? Were the people who created it wizards, elves, gods, or aliens? Maybe it's a crashed spaceship, but there is absolutely nothing to confirm or refute that.

The show was a puzzle box, and at the end they told us no no no, it was never about the mystery the show was actually about how the bland main characters deal with the mystery. It's like a whodunit that tells us all the suspect's secrets, but then on the last page tells us solving the murder was never the point.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

As long as it isn't promised in some way, or the plot hinges on it, I'm absolutely fine with not getting answers. When dealing with really weird and otherwordly, supernatural poo poo it's usually a let down anyway. Just give me a cool premise and have people deal with the effects.

Like the TV show was poo poo but I absolutely loved Stephen King's Under the Dome and I would've been totally cool with there being no explanation at the end at all. Same with Revival.

Better to just leave poo poo unexplained than to half rear end it and create more questions than you've answered, or worse, have it not make sense when you actually think about it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Taeke posted:

As long as it isn't promised in some way, or the plot hinges on it, I'm absolutely fine with not getting answers. When dealing with really weird and otherwordly, supernatural poo poo it's usually a let down anyway. Just give me a cool premise and have people deal with the effects.

Like the TV show was poo poo but I absolutely loved Stephen King's Under the Dome and I would've been totally cool with there being no explanation at the end at all. Same with Revival.

Better to just leave poo poo unexplained than to half rear end it and create more questions than you've answered, or worse, have it not make sense when you actually think about it.

I was talking with my mum earlier about Stephen King's tendency to whiff the ending and I remembered back in Danse Macabre, the book he wrote about horror, that he said he always wants to show the monster. Even if it's poo poo, he will always take a swing at a definitive 'here's what it was!' ending instead of leaving a - possibly more effective - mystery. It's just how he likes to do it and he considers 'no explanation' a cop-out. Fair enough I suppose.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of shows having bad endings I absolutely hated the end of HBO's Watchmen series. Just the idea of anyone trying to steal Doctor Manhattan's "power" is completely dumb. Like he had some special energy to him that could be transferred around.
There's some good stuff in HBO's Watchmen but as a sequel to Watchmen the graphic novel it is absolutely dreadful. If they were just telling their own story where Watchmen had happened in 1987 and now it is 2019 they could have done some really interesting things but every single way that they tried to tie the things they wanted to write about to the original book (for me) failed terribly.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

The "And they have a plan" thing honestly never bothered me. It's pretty generic. All fictional villains have a plan. I guess the cylons want to chase and kill the humans?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

HopperUK posted:

I was talking with my mum earlier about Stephen King's tendency to whiff the ending and I remembered back in Danse Macabre, the book he wrote about horror, that he said he always wants to show the monster. Even if it's poo poo, he will always take a swing at a definitive 'here's what it was!' ending instead of leaving a - possibly more effective - mystery. It's just how he likes to do it and he considers 'no explanation' a cop-out. Fair enough I suppose.

Yeah I will say that at least he usually reveals the monsters. My biggest issue with Stephen King is he will throw in a lot of mysterious poo poo to get the ball rolling with absolutely no intention of ever explaining it. Why is this kid psychic? Why is there a time tunnel in my pantry? Why is this car a portal to another dimension? Why can this guy suddenly see spirits? None of that is important, and the sooner you accept that the quicker you can enjoy the rest of the book.

I've read most of Stephen King books, and I generally like him, but he is really a "tell what happens" writer, not a "tell how it happens" or "tell why it happens" writer. When I am told a kid is psychic, my first instinct is, why? How? But in a Stephen King book, you skip all that. You begin with: Kid is psychic, and then move on from there.

credburn has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Feb 4, 2023

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

credburn posted:

Yeah I will say that at least he usually reveals the monsters. My biggest issue with Stephen King is he will throw in a lot of mysterious poo poo to get the ball rolling with absolutely no intention of ever explaining it. Why is this kid psychic? Why is there a time tunnel in my pantry? Why is this car a portal to another dimension? Why can this guy suddenly see spirits? None of that is important, and the sooner you accept that the quicker you can enjoy the rest of the book.

I've read most of Stephen King books, and I generally like him, but he is really a "tell what happens" writer, not a "tell how it happens" or "tell why it happens" writer. When I am told a kid is psychic, my first instinct is, why? How? But in a Stephen King book, you skip all that. You begin with: Kid is psychic, and then move on from there.

"Why" isn't important if the "what" is interesting enough.

Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are Shyamalan's best movies, and they never explain how or why the main characters have their powers.

The Happening is absolute trash, and the suicides are because trees are angry.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

rydiafan posted:

Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are Shyamalan's best movies,

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The worst part of Glass was the entire movie.