Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I dunno, feeling like you’re suppose to have access to all streaming services for one low price is entitlement is it not? Why should anyone expect to have that? There are restaurants I can’t afford to eat at, bottles of liquor that I can’t afford to purchase next to the ones that I can, cars I can’t afford to drive, etc. Saying “well I should have access to all of those for one price” is pretty entitled if you ask me.

My point was the service I happily signed up for has degraded severely to the point of it being a bad deal I struggle to find reasons to subscribe to.

However, you don't deserve things more than other people just because you can afford them and they can't. Money isn't distributed sensibly or fairly, most people have not enough and a tiny handful of people have way way way too much. If you wanna talk about entitlement then we should look at the people who feel entitled because their arbitrary market compensation is higher than others (and for 99% of all people it's still much lower than it would be if the system made any sense for humans to use).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've not had a chance to watch the third episode, yet, but for a show about the struggle between being a good therapist and being some sort of "therapy vigilante", it's weirdly already decided that its entire cast are already in the latter group, and that the latter is actually better.

Which might be what you mean? Or do you mean something else by "the topics [the show] pretends to be about"? (genuinely asking)
oh. nothing very profound. I just think its a very superficial and easy to watch show, despite having characters dealing with domestic abuse, divorce, death, drug abuse, Parkinson's, PTSD etc

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I will say that if anyone is paying full price for anything streaming, they are doing it wrong.

I basically lurch from one short term deal to another with a few breaks along with some long term discounts through affiliate stuff. T-Mobile heavily discounts my Netflix and gives me AppleTV+ for free. I picked up 50% off for Paramount+ and Peacock for a year (which was already a discount when you bought per year vs per month.) I locked in a full year of Disney+ prior to the price hike. I have Starz 10 months for $19.99 from a promo. About the only thing I don't have a discount on at the moment is HBO and Hulu.

Everything else, Amazon usually has discounts for their "Channels" for 2 months at a time multiple times a year so I pick up stuff like Showtime, Epix, and AMC+ for like a buck a piece for two months.

Very few of these deals are locked out as new subscriber only deals, so all you need to do is cancel after your discount is done and wait for a new one.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I loved TLoU ep 3 like everyone else, but damnit I felt like the old makeup was done really poorly. Or at least I feel like I've seen it done way better before. It kept kinda taking me out of it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I think Netflix’s decision sucks but good lord streaming is still 100x more convenient than cable.

I think people just forgot how loving awful paying for cable was.

First there was the two year contract you were stuck with, for $200 a month and you will pay a massive fee(s) if you try to cancel early

Second you had to pay equipment and setup fees. You wanted cable in more than one room? gently caress you that’s an extra $20 a box per month please.

Then there were the frequent outages, disruptions, etc because the cable companies had a monopoly and didn’t give a poo poo

The horrendous customer service

And finally the content, which sucked rear end you were paying $200 with no hope of easy cancellation for a bunch of dogshit channels to get the two to three channels you were actually interested in.

Unless streaming services start charging cancellation fees it will always be a way better proposition than cable ever was. Also the content is just words beyond what was offered on cable

*edit*

Just to reiterate I think what Netflix is doing sucks rear end and I’m one of those people who uses a friends and will most likely lose access- but I’m just tired of the “it’s just like cable” takes. It isn’t, at least not yet, cable was way way worse.

I still have cable, through Comcast. I am paying (with tax) $136/mo. This gets me internet service (800mb/35mb with 1TB max bandwidth iirc), basically every channel that exists besides HBO, and a 4k capable cable box with DVR. I think I've had 3 outages since I've lived here (just over 3 years), the longest one was about 30min. Also because it is Comcast I get Peacock for 'free'. There is also a lot of content available on-demand for free through Comcast and they occasionally do these promos where you can get content from the premium channels for free for a week. They even have a phone app now so you can stream live channels or your DVR content to your phone, or cast it to another TV somewhere so there's no more paying for a second TV box.

I keep contemplating switching to a local fiber provider but doing that plus getting a Youtube TV or package of streaming services to recreate what I have now is going to be the same cost or even more expensive than what I am paying now. I admittedly watch a poo poo load of TV so I feel like I am definitely getting my money's worth. Plus it's really nice just to have one place/app to watch everything through.

I dunno I don't hate it. :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

I still have cable, through Comcast. I am paying (with tax) $136/mo.

It's probably cheaper with the bundle, but how much of that is just for internet?

Honestly the biggest attraction of streaming to me has always been no-ads. I've always sprung for the no-ads tier on every service I've ever signed up for, so cable would actually have to get significantly cheaper than the streaming services gauntlet before I would switch back, but I guess they're trying to force that on me with all this FAST bs

https://twitter.com/colemanhall/status/1621216320363855872

I can't think of anything specific but a whole lot of the TV world looks like southern California or Vancouver. Like they shoot Lone Star 911 in california, I don't watch the show but I assume I'd be appalled by what they're trying to pass off as austin.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 3, 2023

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

zoux posted:

It's probably cheaper with the bundle, but how much of that is just for internet?

Honestly the biggest attraction of streaming to me has always been no-ads. I've always sprung for the no-ads tier on every service I've ever signed up for, so cable would actually have to get significantly cheaper than the streaming services gauntlet before I would switch back, but I guess they're trying to force that on me with all this FAST bs

Looks like $70/mo+tax and fees is the internet-only new customer pricing for the tier of service I have. The DVR is $12, so I am paying $50ish for cable I guess. Totally worth it.

btw with the DVR for most shows these days you can skip all the commercial breaks. Most of my viewing is watching shows that were previously recorded so I just hit one button on the remote and it skips through that section of the recording and starts back up when they end. It's pretty nice.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

zoux posted:

I can't think of anything specific but a whole lot of the TV world looks like southern California or Vancouver. Like they shoot Lone Star 911 in california, I don't watch the show but I assume I'd be appalled by what they're trying to pass off as austin.

I live in WV and this cracks me up.

Our biggest "lake" (they're all reservoirs made by dams) is quite pretty but still no beaches to be found - except at the beach, where they had the sand trucked in from elsewhere. Why no beach, you ask? See below:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I had both Xfinity and Spectrum over the past few years and all were fine to be honest. The biggest downside was the upload cap on cable internet. I do lots of big file transferring (video production) and it was really cramping the WFH life. So I switched to fiber internet and then to YTTV.

But I never had an issue with either Xfinity or Spectrum and bundling their $30/month mobile service was great too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Looks like $70/mo+tax and fees is the internet-only new customer pricing for the tier of service I have. The DVR is $12, so I am paying $50ish for cable I guess. Totally worth it.

btw with the DVR for most shows these days you can skip all the commercial breaks. Most of my viewing is watching shows that were previously recorded so I just hit one button on the remote and it skips through that section of the recording and starts back up when they end. It's pretty nice.

I seem to recall back when Tivo was new that there was some hair tearing among advertisers that they could implement an auto skip feature like that, funny that it ended up happening.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

X-Files is probably one of the biggest offenders of this:

https://twitter.com/BookTheftGuy/status/1621514352070361091

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, if you are comparing like for like.

$74.99 /month for 500/500 fiber with no data cap (i could get down to $35 /month if I wanted to drop to 200/200 which honestly would be more than sufficient.)
$58.44 /month for youtubeTV (discount through T-Mobile)

Then, for the Peacock bit you get for free, I bought a year of Premium for 50% off in November so that's $4 /month

So my grand total is $137.43, but I also went for ad free peacock which I don't think is included in comcast.

I do like that I don't need any service provider equipment for this other than the ONT that was installed in my basement 14 years ago. I can cancel YouTubeTV at any time or suspend the sub for multiple months if I'm not using it. I'm free to knock down my internet for a lower level (that would still be totally adequate) and save like $40 /month.

If I really wanted to game the system and schedule, I could really get all the entertainment I wanted for just over $50 /month by knocking my internet down to the minimum and subscribing to only one service at a time, watching my fill before moving on to another. It's not like anyone is watching the same stuff these days that you have to keep abreast of things.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

X-Files is probably one of the biggest offenders of this:

https://twitter.com/BookTheftGuy/status/1621514352070361091

Anytime Vikings showed a location in Denmark and it be like

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

bull3964 posted:

I mean, if you are comparing like for like.

$74.99 /month for 500/500 fiber with no data cap (i could get down to $35 /month if I wanted to drop to 200/200 which honestly would be more than sufficient.)
$58.44 /month for youtubeTV (discount through T-Mobile)

Then, for the Peacock bit you get for free, I bought a year of Premium for 50% off in November so that's $4 /month

So my grand total is $137.43, but I also went for ad free peacock which I don't think is included in comcast.

I do like that I don't need any service provider equipment for this other than the ONT that was installed in my basement 14 years ago. I can cancel YouTubeTV at any time or suspend the sub for multiple months if I'm not using it. I'm free to knock down my internet for a lower level (that would still be totally adequate) and save like $40 /month.

If I really wanted to game the system and schedule, I could really get all the entertainment I wanted for just over $50 /month by knocking my internet down to the minimum and subscribing to only one service at a time, watching my fill before moving on to another. It's not like anyone is watching the same stuff these days that you have to keep abreast of things.

I'm not trying to make a case for the frugality of cable, my point was just that it isn't some hellscape of outages and outrageously expensive contracts you can't escape from. I am getting my money's worth and am happy to not constantly switch services to squeeze out a couple extra bucks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BonoMan posted:

With two possible exceptions Disney+ and ATV+. I think both of those have been a bit smarter about the amount of content invested in and, Apple at least, have a bit more "integrity" (for lack of a better word) to make rash decisions.

Disney+ I'm not so sure about, since it came out that Bob Chapek was goosing the subscriber numbers and the content releases to make the losses they're taking seem not as bad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sirotan posted:

I'm not trying to make a case for the frugality of cable, my point was just that it isn't some hellscape of outages and outrageously expensive contracts you can't escape from. I am getting my money's worth and am happy to not constantly switch services to squeeze out a couple extra bucks.

It's just that Comcast is notorious for cranking up the price even while on a "locked in price" by increasing fees that are exempt from the contract. In November, they hiked the broadcast fee by $7ish in most markets. That's a whole AppleTV+!

Broadcast fee in most markets is up to $23 They have, at times, upped it multiple times a year.

I mean, it's fine if you feel you are getting the value out of it. It's just that it's not necessarily a stable price and is also highly market variable. The big turnoff for me is needing to either get or return equipment depending on service state.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

bull3964 posted:

It's just that Comcast is notorious for cranking up the price even while on a "locked in price" by increasing fees that are exempt from the contract. In November, they hiked the broadcast fee by $7ish in most markets. That's a whole AppleTV+!

Broadcast fee in most markets is up to $23 They have, at times, upped it multiple times a year.

I mean, it's fine if you feel you are getting the value out of it. It's just that it's not necessarily a stable price and is also highly market variable. The big turnoff for me is needing to either get or return equipment depending on service state.

HBO Max doubled in price ($7.50 to $14.99) and Netflix also jumped up (a dollar? I can't remember) when I had both last year.

And yeah my Comcast cost went up $9 in January which sucked. The cable vs streaming decision doesn't have a clear winner in my mind but the continued stratification of streaming services makes cable the easy choice for me considering price is, generally, competitive.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 3, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

quote:

I don't think it's good that it's happening, I don't assign a value to it at all. It is a business decision

The rallying cry of the “ideal capitalist”

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I think most people generally understand how business "works"

I also think most people generally understand that how business "works" largely sucks rear end

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://moviesr.net/p-the-bear-season-2-official-filming-schedule-revealed

10 episode season 2, filming runs February 21 through April 14, premieres this summer. heck yeah folks

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sirotan posted:

HBO Max doubled in price ($7.50 to $14.99) and Netflix also jumped up (a dollar? I can't remember) when I had both last year.

HBO has been $15 or so forever.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

smackfu posted:

Sure, if you were not able to take advantage of the half off for six months/a year deals they had going in 2021. I was paying $7.49/mo up until October 2022.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
https://deadline.com/2023/02/night-court-renewal-season-2-nbc-1235248275/

6 million viewers and rumors of a DGA strike bumping up production schedules leads to a second season for Night Court.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It is doing insane numbers, I woulda lost a lot of money on that bet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

smackfu posted:

They just raised their price from $14.99 to $15.99 this month.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

zoux posted:

It is doing insane numbers, I woulda lost a lot of money on that bet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Ii1pt_rJg

I was thinking of giving it a try, but then watched this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

zoux posted:

There's actually a pretty solid justification for this!

It's that Hannibal was perfect television and could do no wrong! :love:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

Fringe used Yale for Harvard across the first season and used an establishing shot of Boston University labeled “Boston College.” It all had to have been completely on purpose.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

Fringe used Yale for Harvard across the first season and used an establishing shot of Boston University labeled “Boston College.” It all had to have been completely on purpose.

Savage

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Arist posted:

The problem is that the situation is of their own creation. In trying to create a scenario where they would control a huge portion of the market basically uncontested, they attracted so much competition and were so aggressive with acquisitions that they destroyed their own ability to operate profitably. I'm not really sympathetic to the idea that it's unrelated to greed, because greed was the original catalyst, the reason this situation came about at all.

Is any streaming service actually profitable? Serious question cause it seems like this is less of ‘Netflix was greedy’ and more ‘late stage capitalism’. What else can a company do to appease investors when you can’t grow exponentially yoy?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Netflix wouldn’t be bleeding money if they decided not to repeatedly spend infinity dollars on high profile shows they cancel after one or two seasons (or on original movies that will never get sequels).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well it's A Boston college

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Gonz posted:

Netflix wouldn’t be bleeding money if they decided not to repeatedly spend infinity dollars on high profile shows they cancel after one or two seasons (or on original movies that will never get sequels).

I agree. They were the ones who decided to spend multiple millions per episode of stranger things. If that made them lose money, that's on them.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Gonz posted:

Probably cause they cost infinity dollars to maintain? I don’t know I’m not a businessman

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nuts and Gum posted:

Probably cause they cost infinity dollars to maintain? I don’t know I’m not a businessman

I think the point being made is that they shouldn't have bothered making them in the first place.

Television isn't film, the medium became successful through relative modesty. Game of Thrones was successful, sure, but it shouldn't have been the blueprint. And ultimately it wasn't, it was a very successful exception.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Quality Control department at Netflix HQ is probably just a long dusty hallway with tumbleweeds occasionally blowing by between adjacent open doors. They spend so much money on terrible ideas. And they also spend too much money on good (but not *great*) ideas. It's completely avoidable.

Do they ever say "No" to a treatment/script? Why in the poo poo was White Noise $140,000,000?!?

Triple Frontier was $115,000,000.

Army of the Dead was $90,000,000.

Outlaw King was $120,000,000.

6 Underground was $200,000,000.

The Irishman was $150,000,000.

Red Notice was $200,000,000.

The Gray Man (which I liked!) was $200,000,000.

Every episode of The Witcher was/is 10 million bucks. Every episode of The Crown is 13 million bucks. Every episode of Stranger Things, as mentioned earlier, is 30 million bucks.

The Netflix budget office needs to refocus their efforts on not letting productions balloon into ridiculous, hyperexpensive boondoggles that ultimately end up not recouping a fraction of what they needed to recoup.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think the point being made is that they shouldn't have bothered making them in the first place.

Television isn't film, the medium became successful through relative modesty. Game of Thrones was successful, sure, but it shouldn't have been the blueprint. And ultimately it wasn't, it was a very successful exception.

Episodic streaming has far surpassed movie viewership I’m pretty sure. Whether or not it should is a another convo. Ultimately Netflix was a startup acting like a startup. They didn’t have a catalog of existing content to lean on, so they threw money at writers and for a long time let them do whatever they wanted. I’d say that’s better than trying to stay in their perceived lane and compete with cbs sitcoms. Which I’m sure they are now doing lol

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nuts and Gum posted:

Episodic streaming has far surpassed movie viewership I’m pretty sure. Whether or not it should is a another convo. Ultimately Netflix was a startup acting like a startup. They didn’t have a catalog of existing content to lean on, so they threw money at writers and for a long time let them do whatever they wanted. I’d say that’s better than trying to stay in their perceived lane and compete with cbs sitcoms. Which I’m sure they are now doing lol

Well, no, my ideal version of Netflix is closer to a more sustainable version of what Apple is currently doing, or what HBO does (did?) and Amazon used to do. No blockbuster shows, but also not absolute grindfests either. Not that there isn't a place for either, but I'm not a fan of the feast or famine approach.

Also, like Gonz said, quality control would be nice.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

zoux posted:

I have friends who work on that and I mock them relentlessly for having to schlep out to Lancaster or Santa Clarita every time they shoot on location.

I'm still angry that Brooklyn 99 filmed in LA when it was perfectly doable to shoot in Brooklyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Anytime Vikings showed a location in Denmark and it be like

You can't really expect a show that takes place in Kattegat to not have mountains in Denmark.