Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

mawarannahr posted:

I cant see how in the app, but maybe this could be accomplished through shortcuts or an automation

Something like that? It seems to use the last alarm sound you set. This is untested but might lead the right way

Wow thank you for this. I’ll give it a shot. We used to make fun of Android users for having to go to these lengths.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The sleep alarms are all loving awful and it’s ludicrous that I can’t select a normal alarm tone for them. I hate it too. No, the birds flying through a lovely mist on the eastern slope of the Alps doesn’t loving wake me up. Give me radar you idiots.

Agreed. It’s loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I know this has been discussed before but I can't find it, what's the general consensus on the best adblocker for iOS/Safari?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are sleep alarms a new sleep-specific thing?

On my desk-side iPad I just have a 4am alarm in Clock.app that has the Alert tone (or whatever the loving klaxon is) that is set to go off M-F and I never have to think about it again.

Wakes me up and sounds like the start of WW3.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

some kinda jackal posted:

Are sleep alarms a new sleep-specific thing?

On my desk-side iPad I just have a 4am alarm in Clock.app that has the Alert tone (or whatever the loving klaxon is) that is set to go off M-F and I never have to think about it again.

Wakes me up and sounds like the start of WW3.

Yeah, well, a few years old at this point. You set up a sleep schedule in the health app and it reminds you to go to bed and ties in with sleep tracking, and has its own alarm tunes. I like them, they fade in and become gradually more difficult to ignore, but they don’t work for everyone.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ah gotcha. This is one of those things where I’ve been setting the alarm on the Clock app for years and hadn’t even considered there may be a better way.

Though lacking a harsh tone option I suppose it’s better I didn’t realize. Just RIP if you try to gently coax me awake with birdsong.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I really hate the thing where there's a bug in the latest main release, it's fixed in the subsequent betas for the next release, and then is back again when the next main release comes out.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rick posted:

I really hate the thing where there's a bug in the latest main release, it's fixed in the subsequent betas for the next release, and then is back again when the next main release comes out.

Nexus/Pixel phones and Bluetooth.txt

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Does anyone have that issue where Google Maps resets when you put it in the background? I’ll search for directions, jump to another app and come back to find that Google Maps has returned to its home page, losing all my directions. This has been happening for weeks and I can’t find a solution online.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Vegetable posted:

Does anyone have that issue where Google Maps resets when you put it in the background? I’ll search for directions, jump to another app and come back to find that Google Maps has returned to its home page, losing all my directions. This has been happening for weeks and I can’t find a solution online.

I’ve been noticing gmail do that a lot lately. It’s like the OS is really aggressively closing it even if I’m just briefly swapped to another app.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My yellow iPhone XR is getting long in the tooth and will be replaced with an iPhone 15 this year. What are the chances we get fun phone colors this next generation because I cannot handle these offensively bland offerings

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Let's ask our god:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
14 pro’s been doing this thing where my wallpaper is changed to all black. Resetting my phone fixes it for like a few hours but it happens again. Anyone else?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

14 pro’s been doing this thing where my wallpaper is changed to all black. Resetting my phone fixes it for like a few hours but it happens again. Anyone else?

It does this for me as well but it normally fixes itself after a few. I’ve never had to restart the phone.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

buglord posted:

My yellow iPhone XR is getting long in the tooth and will be replaced with an iPhone 15 this year. What are the chances we get fun phone colors this next generation because I cannot handle these offensively bland offerings

The last only good color Apple released across any of their devices was the green iPad Air 4th gen, and it's never coming back :smith:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rolo posted:

I used the weather as my lock and home screen wallpapers, and I'd get this all the time on 16.2 and below. Haven't seen it since 16.3 I believe.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
The deep purple color is really good IMO.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah I went with a purple iPad Air and iPhone 14 and I dig it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Duckman2008 posted:

But it's not deep purple!!!

I'm a bit sad that iPhones Pro have very boring/muted colourways and 14 Pro is the worst (unless you like lavender.)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I have AppleCare+ on my 13 Pro that's gonna expire in the fall and I've never used it. My screen has a small-ish scratch in the middle that's usually invisible but you can see it if the light catches it right. Also you can feel it with your fingernail. Will they replace the screen for free $29 for that scratch? Or does the screen need to be really shattered for a screen replacement?

Additionally, my battery is at 86%. I probably won't do a battery replacement until right before my AppleCare+ expires. Is it a hard rule that they won't do it for free unless you're at 80% or less? Or is it more up to the Genius's discretion. And if I want to replace the battery anyway, they'll just charge me like $70? Is that price the same regardless of whether or not I have AC+?

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 3, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

But it's not deep purple!!!

You just can’t see it through the smoke on the water.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

You just can’t see it through the smoke on the water.

You can if you’re space truckin’. Come on!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

It's pretty good, not gonna lie. It's no Emerald/spring green though.

Or those bitchin mango orange cables when OnePlus had a license agreement with McLaren.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
The dark green 13/wach 7 is a really gorgeous colour.

Also why won't Apple release different coloured AirPods. Everything else in their line that's designed as something a bit more personal has a load of colours to choose from. If they did a non-white set of airpods I'd buy them in a second. I don't want to look like I'm in an IPod TV ad from 2022. Even in black or grey or something. Cmon Tim

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Have to buy Beats to get colors:

https://www.beatsbydre.com/earbuds/studio-buds?sku=MJ503

But seriously, surprised they did colors for AirPods Max. Maybe because white didn’t work well at that scale.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

OldSenileGuy posted:

I have AppleCare+ on my 13 Pro that's gonna expire in the fall and I've never used it. My screen has a small-ish scratch in the middle that's usually invisible but you can see it if the light catches it right. Also you can feel it with your fingernail. Will they replace the screen for free $29 for that scratch? Or does the screen need to be really shattered for a screen replacement?

Additionally, my battery is at 86%. I probably won't do a battery replacement until right before my AppleCare+ expires. Is it a hard rule that they won't do it for free unless you're at 80% or less? Or is it more up to the Genius's discretion. And if I want to replace the battery anyway, they'll just charge me like $70? Is that price the same regardless of whether or not I have AC+?

1. AC+ covers accidental damage due to drops, bumps, stuff like that. It does not cover cosmetic damage due to typical use. The line is up to the vibe of genius you get and if you politely ask them to verify with their manager. (Managers can often approve repairs against written policy)

2. Up to the vibe of genius and manager, plus software battery test results that use a couple variables in addition to the %. I don’t think a manager would be able to approve a battery replacement if the software battery test passes, but I don’t think Apple publicizes what variable constitutes a pass or fail, besides that 80% commonly known number.

Mine was on the cusp a while back, was above 80% but failed the test, so I got a battery.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 3, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Inner Light posted:

1. AC+ covers accidental damage due to drops, bumps, stuff like that. It does not cover cosmetic damage due to typical use. The line is up to the vibe of genius you get and if you politely ask them to verify with their manager. (Managers can often approve repairs against written policy)

2. Up to the vibe of genius and manager, plus software battery test results that use a couple variables in addition to the %. I don’t think a manager would be able to approve a battery replacement if the software battery test passes, but I don’t think Apple publicizes what variable constitutes a pass or fail, besides that 80% commonly known number.

Mine was on the cusp a while back, was above 80% but failed the test, so I got a battery.

It's been a few years since I did any of this, but when I was doing AASP stuff, they are very strict on what qualifies as a bad battery for replacement. Like you said, it's not just the percentage but other tests that have to pass or fail. They got even more strict on those as time went on. Before, I could just put in the repair thing "bad battery" and I could get a replacement. Then they started demanding the online tests for everything battery related so it became harder to fudge stuff to get new batteries (when I knew 100% that the battery was bad). I would say unneeded or 'fraudulent' battery replacements were a huge issue for them.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I upgraded from an 11 Pro to a 14 Pro and I'm kinda meh about it. Battery life seems the same as my aging battery which is weird. The photos don't really look better but I've only taken a few dozen. It's noticeably heavier and less convenient to use as a result. The dynamic island is sort of neat I guess but very little supports it. On the plus side of things I do like the display a lot and it's incredibly zippy in general. Maybe I should've waited another generation, felt like spending a lot of money and not getting much of an upgrade but I guess that's cellphones now, everything is incremental. I almost went with a Pro Max but 6.7" is insane for my average sized hands.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Can you still get the test done over the phone through Apple Support? Back a few years ago they could run the test and advise you to go in store to get the battery replacement done if it failed testing even though percentage was over 80.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any parents notice that the Screen Time limits for kid phones aren't working... like at all? It seems like it's been happening since 16.2 or so. I'll set app limits, say an hour on a specific app, and when I check the usage, it shows the hour glass like it timed out, but it shows 5 hours of usage. Like it's not actually blocking it out after the limit expires. I have the option set to block at the limit too.

And also, if I try to change downtime, the changes don't take. If I go back out of the settings and back in, the old values are there. It's just like nothing at all is working when you set screen time for kid phones now.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's been a few years since I did any of this, but when I was doing AASP stuff, they are very strict on what qualifies as a bad battery for replacement. Like you said, it's not just the percentage but other tests that have to pass or fail. They got even more strict on those as time went on. Before, I could just put in the repair thing "bad battery" and I could get a replacement. Then they started demanding the online tests for everything battery related so it became harder to fudge stuff to get new batteries (when I knew 100% that the battery was bad). I would say unneeded or 'fraudulent' battery replacements were a huge issue for them.

But is that just for a free (“covered”) battery replacement? Can I still opt to pay $79 for a replacement even if it passes all their tests? And, if so, is that the AppleCare price? Or is that the price for anyone who requests a “non-necessary” replacement?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

OldSenileGuy posted:

But is that just for a free (“covered”) battery replacement? Can I still opt to pay $79 for a replacement even if it passes all their tests? And, if so, is that the AppleCare price? Or is that the price for anyone who requests a “non-necessary” replacement?

AC+, $0 fee. No AC+, replace the battery literally a day after you get a new one, they don’t care, $79 fee.

More details here: https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair

I’m no expert on battery pricing or computer toucher labor cost but it seems at a $79 price point, it’s being subsidized or is a bit of a loss leader to keep folks in the ecosystem. Not much to profit off of at that price point it seems.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 3, 2023

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Inner Light posted:

AC+, $0 fee. No AC+, replace the battery literally a day after you get a new one, they don’t care, $79 fee.

More details here: https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair

I’m no expert on battery pricing or computer toucher labor cost but it seems at a $79 price point, it’s being subsidized or is a bit of a loss leader to keep folks in the ecosystem. Not much to profit off of at that price point it seems.

$79 to replace a maybe $10 battery, are you kidding? The labour involved is arduous, but that’s due to their own bad design decisions and they should not be allowed to punish consumers who need batteries.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

wooger posted:

$79 to replace a maybe $10 battery, are you kidding? The labour involved is arduous, but that’s due to their own bad design decisions and they should not be allowed to punish consumers who need batteries.

Lol. Very goony response. I guess we’ll agree to disagree. Apple is good at what they do. They make decisions that the largest possible amount of people are happy with and profit pretty healthily because of their skill in doing so, I don’t think you’re their target demo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Inner Light posted:

Lol. Very goony response. I guess we’ll agree to disagree. Apple is good at what they do. They make decisions that the largest possible amount of people are happy with and profit pretty healthily because of their skill in doing so, I don’t think you’re their target demo

The goony European Union may soon mandate it because it's bad for the environment and bad for consumers :shrug: No need to condone a harmful practice that is easily remedied. Hopefully we will see this happen in the next few years -- it will be better for everyone. https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20221205IPR60614/batteries-deal-on-new-eu-rules-for-design-production-and-waste-treatment

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

mawarannahr posted:

The goony European Union may soon mandate it because it's bad for the environment and bad for consumers :shrug: No need to condone a harmful practice that is easily remedied. Hopefully we will see this happen in the next few years -- it will be better for everyone. https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20221205IPR60614/batteries-deal-on-new-eu-rules-for-design-production-and-waste-treatment

Fine fine I was being overly harsh. Anyone got hot stock tips on fastener manufacturers?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

wooger posted:

I mean I also remember the early phones where you could slide open the back and easily remove batteries, but it's one of those things where you just gotta accept that that the smartphone industry has pivoted into making fancier/luxury devices (like the luxury watch market), which means higher service costs (you shouldn't disassemble a rolex yourself), and there are upsides to that (it'll be waterproof and have fewer points of weakness/wear).

So I agree that yeah, it should be cheap and/or free for everyone, but the reason we got here isn't due to some wild oversight. I think the reason your gooniness got called out was the suggestion that the whole industry somehow hosed up and fell asleep at the wheel and ended up with sealed uniobody phones, when there are good practical reasons why that's happened.

It's the reason you can drop your phone down the toilet and it'll still work absolutely fine, and a way for phones to have much nicer designs.

Also, it's worth noting that they've put an actual hinge on the inside of the 14 series to make it easier to replace the battery then its ever been.

I also agree though that if you're really against that philosophy, there are phones out there that are more open and repairable (like the Fairphone), but you'll be making other tradeoffs when using them (the Fairphone isn't very good).

edit: If we are griping though, I hate how phone manufacturers take cracked screens as nullifying your warranty, even if there's a defect with the insides of the phone after warranty. I had a Galaxy S8 or something, where it stopped charging and something had clearly burnt out in its internals, but they wouldn't do a warranty fix because the glass was cracked, even though that thing is all curved glass everywhere.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 4, 2023

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Inner Light posted:

But I have had iPhones since 2009 though so?

They’ve changed their designs with the 14 specifically to make it less of a ball ache to change batteries, effectively admitting that they were wrong.

Apple broke 2 of my phones doing a battery swap over the years and had to give me a new one.

The Grumbles posted:

I mean I also remember the early phones where you could slide open the back and easily remove batteries, but it's one of those things where you just gotta accept that that the smartphone industry has pivoted into making fancier/luxury devices (like the luxury watch market), which means higher service costs (you shouldn't disassemble a rolex yourself), and there are upsides to that (it'll be waterproof and have fewer points of weakness/wear).

Yeah it’s famously not possible to change the batteries in a watch right?

Other manufacturers have more serviceable phones with the same or better waterproof rating, it’s unrelated, but a different design challenge.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

wooger posted:

Yeah it’s famously not possible to change the batteries in a watch right?

Hey captain clever I said luxury watches, which is a market apple takes a lot of its design cues/philosophy from (for better or for worse) - this idea that it's a tightly packed precision sealed machine that should only really be tinkered with by a professional. Which I don't think anyone in this thread will say is a good thing, but like they're taking clear cues from this idea that it's a luxury piece of precision engineering that it wants regular people to back off from messing with.

But to answer your question, no, luxury watches like rolexes or whatever are usually & famously automatic/self winding and don't use batteries, but need servicing as regularly as an iPhone and in any case you really don't want to open one up yourself.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 4, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
edit: oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
What's the best way to get all of the photos (a lot of them) from my iphone onto my windows computer?
I try to drag and drop but inevitably hit some kind of glitch that stops the transfer
and I am unable to pick up where I left off as seemingly random photos were transferred and apple insists on arbitrarily sorting things into random folders?
There are some apps that do this?