Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I just bought a deck, so be prepared to become tech support for a dummy, deck thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
^^Join the club!

How do you fix the missing art that appears on your home screen? My Scumm VM looks horrible.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

hadji murad posted:

^^Join the club!

How do you fix the missing art that appears on your home screen? My Scumm VM looks horrible.

You can do it in Desktop mode like normal, or install the SteamGridDB plugin if you have Decky installed.

BiznatchMcFiznach
Oct 11, 2004

A robot isn't just for Christmas, it's for life.
Just picked up my Steam Deck and I love it, but quick question - I bought the 256GB model, because with the save 100 bucks I bought a screen protector, dock and 512GB SD card...

Does having the extra 256 internal memory make that much difference to an external SD card?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

BiznatchMcFiznach posted:

Just picked up my Steam Deck and I love it, but quick question - I bought the 256GB model, because with the save 100 bucks I bought a screen protector, dock and 512GB SD card...

Does having the extra 256 internal memory make that much difference to an external SD card?
I think shader updates default to the internal ssd and can get pretty big for some games?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

njsykora posted:

You can do it in Desktop mode like normal, or install the SteamGridDB plugin if you have Decky installed.

Thanks!

Edit: Man that was easy and thorough. Double thanks!

I’ll check the Decky route out.

Btw, is there a way to reorder the Decky plugins list? They should make a plugin for that if not.

hadji murad fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 3, 2023

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I think shader updates default to the internal ssd and can get pretty big for some games?

Yup, and when I last looked (might have changed since) they don't get automatically deleted when you uninstall the corresponding game, so if you install lots of different games your deck's internal storage can get clogged up with shader files that you need to go into desktop mode to manually delete. That was mostly a concern for 64GB owners though.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Micro Center might look like poo poo inside but they stay in business by being a brick and mortar store that's roughly the same price as buying online.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

I just bought a deck, so be prepared to become tech support for a dummy, deck thread.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Another thing I thought of, can the deck use the epic store, GOG and things like that? I have a big steam library but I also have a lot of stuff in epic and Gog I’d like to play too.
Hit up the first links in the OP. The wiki has some rough guides. Steam Deck HQ has some step-by-step guides for things.
It's an odd little Linux machine so of course ask if anything's weird.

hadji murad posted:

This is actually kind of annoying. There's like 2 or 3 different places you have to do it to cover every icon and banner size steam uses.
In desktop mode, right-click your game in the library list and choose change artwork. That's one of them.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Feb 3, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The decky plug-in for sgdb makes artwork fixing a breeze

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah you just have an extra option in the gaming UI to change artwork and can pick all 5 elements to change at once, it rules.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

The decky plug-in for sgdb makes artwork fixing a breeze

This is probably the biggest reason I'm going to try it, that's mostly what I want.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BiznatchMcFiznach posted:

It does. Even if you install a game on the SD card it takes up some space on the internal drive. Have a friend with the 64 and a 1 TB SD card, he completely filled the internal drive from installing games on the SD and couldn't use all the space.

The only reason to get the 64 is if you're going to switch the hard drive, IMO.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
It had been a while since the last time I plugged the Deck to the telly, so I spent a stupid amount of time last night trying to understand why every game resolution was apparently unsupported. Then it hit me that my default settings force display down to 40Hz, which is problematic for a TV screen. Switched back to 60Hz and everything worked instantly. :doh:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Party Boat posted:

Yup, and when I last looked (might have changed since) they don't get automatically deleted when you uninstall the corresponding game, so if you install lots of different games your deck's internal storage can get clogged up with shader files that you need to go into desktop mode to manually delete. That was mostly a concern for 64GB owners though.
I think shaders do get deleted now, but when you remove a game it will leave behind (parts) of compatdata and game-specific files like logs and stuff. Every time I delete a game I do a search for the app id (you can get it from steamdb) and manually remove the game folder from my SD card.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

TOOT BOOT posted:

Micro Center might look like poo poo inside but they stay in business by being a brick and mortar store that's roughly the same price as buying online.
Because they have Kmart style shelving? Because the isles can be a bit disorganized?

I mean, yeah, they don't do regular decor updates to the stores so they all look a bit old, but whenever I got in things are generally organized and everyone is all friendly and professional looking. Usually I don't actually need help and offer to have them put a commission sticker on whatever I'm buying anyways, but when I do need help they're always very helpful.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Deck has been a dedicated Bravely Default/Second/Default 2 machine for me for a while, but Halo: Infinite plays really well on it. What are the good shooters to pop on this thang? I feel like Modern Warfare 2 requires Windows which ain't gonna happen.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i just went in one last week and it looked perfectly nice though the amount of product remains pretty overwhelming

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

jokes posted:

The Deck has been a dedicated Bravely Default/Second/Default 2 machine for me for a while, but Halo: Infinite plays really well on it. What are the good shooters to pop on this thang? I feel like Modern Warfare 2 requires Windows which ain't gonna happen.

most of the good boomer shooters from the last few years run real well on the deck - cultic, dusk, amid evil are all deck verified iirc.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

jokes posted:

Titanfall 2 for sure.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

i am not able to find a beginners guide to linux for steam deck users. or a beginners guide to debian 8 which i guess is what steamos is based on. (Googling led me to this compilation of video guides. I don't watch video tutorials if i can help it but theye look useful.)

I'm guessing there is no equivalent to windows' Control Panel, System settings, and that kludgy mess. am i wrong?

if there is no such thing, we should write one. one of you beautiful people, i mean. Heran Bago, since you wrote a guide, I would like you to nominate someone who has the knowledge and might have the time to write a short primer.

I'm also considering what to do with the OP. Right now it's a messy tangle of quotes, which i like, but i can't make it any longer. like i said, it's at th character limit rn.

is there a markup translator so I could just render the bbcode as wiki markup so i could copy-paste the whole OP to wiki and it'd display right? I lost my password and the password reset isn't working to the drat wiki rn....

maybe there's an inline link system that will display quotes without actually containing the quotes, so the OP doesnt go over limit?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Titanfall 2 for sure.

Do people play it? I figured it just had, like, super low population

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

7,108 playing 44 min ago
Plus the single player is great

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

jokes posted:

Do people play it? I figured it just had, like, super low population

Playing competitive shooters online on the deck sounds miserable tbh.

I just threw Crysis 2 on there.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

sigher posted:

Any goons near a Micro Center? eBay prices suck and I'm 2 hours from Micro Center.

I live literally 5 minutes down the street from one

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Because they have Kmart style shelving? Because the isles can be a bit disorganized?

I mean, yeah, they don't do regular decor updates to the stores so they all look a bit old, but whenever I got in things are generally organized and everyone is all friendly and professional looking. Usually I don't actually need help and offer to have them put a commission sticker on whatever I'm buying anyways, but when I do need help they're always very helpful.

I’ve been to two that remodeled and they look just as crowded and disheveled as before. It’s funny.

My main complaint is that if the salespeople are occupied by folks doing pc builds and you need something from a case you might as well be wearing an invisibility cloak.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

homeless snail posted:

And also for the rare thing you can't do in SteamOS, like game pass, you can just boot into Windows (which can be installed to an SD card)

Steam Remote Play and Moonlight work pretty well if you, like me, don't want to bother installing windows to the steam deck.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

universal dark mode.. haven't tried it yet. I was searching for how to make chrome auto display all websites in dark mode, as described here. I don't know whether this will change the flag that chrome is supposed to pick up on tho.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/tkl4ai/a_short_review_and_guide_for_universal_dark_mode/

quote:

Mini Guide

Are your apps on Deck burning your eye balls? Then you need this quick guide!

Some apps when installed via Discover use a different engine to configure the theme than KDE Plasma. They use GTK instead. So, we need to install a flatpak for a dark theme, and then set an override to make it the default theme. This can probably be done through Discover and Flatseal, but I find the commands much easier.

Download the theme: flatpak install Adwaita-dark. Answer 'Y' to the questions it asks.

Set the theme as default flatpak override --user --env=GTK_THEME=Adwaita-dark

That's it! You should have dark mode in all (or at least nearly all) of the apps.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Chamge My Mjnd: a game should not be Verified unless it works as well docked as handheld. lately my controller has been adopting its mappings at random while docked, and autodetecting TV resolution is iffy. some games do not care if your peripherals disconnect and reconnect, whether your keyboard is on when you launch the game, etc, but those are few. i know that it's a bunch of disparate issues that prevent a docked/handheld experience as good as a Switch, and it's not a problem that valve could just fix, but you know. it's just slightly annoying.

question: does copypaste work generally in gaming mode? i guess you're supposed to type in steam keys manually

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I apologize if this has been mentioned to death but are there any Steam deck (digital) skins/themes? Like to change the look of the menus as whatnot? I don't hate what's there, but if I can theme my portable Doom machine to be even more Doom-like, sign me up.

Also, is there a guide anyone can recommend for installing GZdoom on here? I miss playing, like, all of the mods.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I apologize if this has been mentioned to death but are there any Steam deck (digital) skins/themes? Like to change the look of the menus as whatnot? I don't hate what's there, but if I can theme my portable Doom machine to be even more Doom-like, sign me up.

Also, is there a guide anyone can recommend for installing GZdoom on here? I miss playing, like, all of the mods.

There’s a decky plugin called (I think) CSS Loader that lets you reskin the whole thing, with a bunch of skins people have already made

The answer is always a decky plugin

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Decky is dope. I wish I could have it in desktop steam (I don’t use the web version).

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

What is decky?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
A plug-in manager

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

RandolphCarter posted:

pro tip: you can adjust gyro sensitivity without having to close the game

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy poo poo, THANK YOU.

Apparently there was a recent update to decky that makes it even easier to install.

I'm so doing this after work, can't wait!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8l-fPgQCus

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mescal posted:

beginners guide to debian 8 which i guess is what steamos is based on.

Previous versions of SteamOS were based on Debian, but what the Deck has (SteamOS 3 I believe) is based on arch, which in its native form is not optimized for ease of use.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Any recommendations on a dock?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Parallelwoody posted:

Any recommendations on a dock?

Honestly what pushed me over the top on the official one is the fact it has another first-party power adapter too; which I already had wanted to pick up one.

And then you know its a good product / in spec /etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Mescal posted:

I'm guessing there is no equivalent to windows' Control Panel, System settings, and that kludgy mess. am i wrong?

I'm not quite sure what you're after. "System Settings" is the name of the application in desktop mode that deals with all of that. If you think it's not equivalent due to missing some stuff, what are you chasing? If you could highlight a list of that, someone (including myself) may be in a position to explain where each of those equivalent features are and maybe provide guidance on how to adjust whatever it is.