Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

isn't this how the movie Dead Man starts?

Just wanted to let you know that I appreciated this reference, Scratch Monkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1621561946079379456

:lol:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

A Bed Bath and Beyond is going out of business near me, and it is like a bizarre parallel dimension.

I’ve got to assume that there’s a warehouse full of garbage that Corporate is trying to get rid of, because the store had a hundred Hot Wheels Super Ultimate Garage Playsets in stock, along with a similar number of store brand 3 and 5 tier bath towers.

We picked up an endcap display that has a bunch of buckets to make a Lego Pick-A-Brick wall for our home in an entirely different dimension of BWM.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Part of me feels some real regret here- BBY legit has been my first place to go for various goods the last few years.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Are you constantly redecorating your house or something

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Part of me feels some real regret here- BBY legit has been my first place to go for various goods the last few years.

bankruptcy doesn’t mean liquidation, though retail chains survive chapter 11 a lot less than other businesses

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

TaintedBalance posted:

gently caress crypto bros, they are overwhelmingly in on the scam, they're just trying to hot potato it. It's the old, gullible, and financially illiterate that get my sympathy. I have somewhat meta concern for people in society in general since get rich poo poo is being pumped at as all the time everywhere to the point where its easy to assume everyone is trying it, especially since working a 9-5 will never secure your bag. But having had to work in and around the space through tertiary services, most of these fucks are in on it.

Every single crypto bro knows its a scam. They just think all think everyone else is a mark.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

See, the lightbulb and squiggles represent the ethics/humanity in my body flying away! Anyway contact me now to buy at the best rates! :yikes:

BBBY logic is basically identical to crypto, and is also basically identical to chatgpt scams. Three different groups with the same profit motives and general brainworms.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Agents are GO! posted:

Every single crypto bro knows its a scam. They just think all think everyone else is a mark.

Well, they know in their hearts it's a scam. They may however not have admitted it to themselves.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Blue Moonlight posted:

We picked up an endcap display that has a bunch of buckets to make a Lego Pick-A-Brick wall for our home in an entirely different dimension of BWM.

We got some nice wooden hangars when Coldwater Creek went out of business. Had their logo on them so worthless to any other company.

Anything that’s an actual product at a bankrupt store can probably be sold to some wholesaler for more money and less effort than clearancing it at retail.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
IIRC going out of business sales are a bit of a scam themselves. The inventory is sold off to another company that gives it a hugely inflated sticker price, then "discounts" it for those "80% off!!" signs.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Pekinduck posted:

IIRC going out of business sales are a bit of a scam themselves. The inventory is sold off to another company that gives it a hugely inflated sticker price, then "discounts" it for those "80% off!!" signs.

Or not even that. They'll just pull that poo poo themselves. I took a trip home to MN once and went to a store closing for Herbergers(?). Everything was "Kohls priced/saled". It was so blatant. Every lower class bargain hunter in town was there just milling around with nothing in their hands.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

notwithoutmyanus posted:

See, the lightbulb and squiggles represent the ethics/humanity in my body flying away! Anyway contact me now to buy at the best rates! :yikes:

BBBY logic is basically identical to crypto, and is also basically identical to chatgpt scams. Three different groups with the same profit motives and general brainworms.

Mfs will do anything to avoid being part of the permanent underclass but overthrow capitalism.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

Mfs will do anything to avoid being part of the permanent underclass but overthrow capitalism.

Of course. How else can I get rich if not through stealing from others? If I can't be at the top I'll steal from the bottom! Income tax is legalized theft and I should be able to do it too! Plus they'll never come after me anyway.

-logic of every small time crook/scammer

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Joe Mama posted:

Or not even that. They'll just pull that poo poo themselves. I took a trip home to MN once and went to a store closing for Herbergers(?). Everything was "Kohls priced/saled". It was so blatant. Every lower class bargain hunter in town was there just milling around with nothing in their hands.

Interesting, I went to Circuit City on its last day and chatted with an employee who of course dgaf anymore and he said they did it that way to keep it legal. I guess consumer protection laws about "discounts" probably vary state-to-state.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Pekinduck posted:

I remember when I was a kid there was a best buy competitor called Media Play. When their poo poo hit the fan, I recall going there with my parents during a liqudation sale. The signs going in to the store were big "80% off everything!" or something like that.

All they had done was put stickers over the MSRP that were like 50% above MSRP or some such bullshit, so the liquidation "sale" price was maybe a few bucks below MSRP at best. Like, they hadn't even tried very hard to hide it... I don't remember how old I was, but it was super obvious.

I later learned that this is the typical MO of liquidation companies... buy up the inventory for pennies on the dollar, and then mark the tags WAY up so that your "sale" price is still insanely expensive, but it's "on sale" so people snatch it up because they think they're getting a bargain. Once all the suckers buy out the bulk of the in-demand inventory, you can slowly ratchet up the discount to get rid of the remaining garbage and then walk away loaded.

edit:

IIRC this is the thing that hosed JC Penny over a few years ago. They did a "perma sale" thing where the price was the price, no sales, no bullshit. But it backfired because people like sales.... doesn't matter if your price tag was less than the store next door, if it wasn't "on sale" then it was poo poo.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 5, 2023

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sometimes it's real though, I definitely got a bunch of brand new vinyl records for like $5 each when a Hastings(?) was going out of business a couple years back. Good stuff too.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

DaveSauce posted:

IIRC this is the thing that hosed JC Penny over a few years ago. They did a "perma sale" thing where the price was the price, no sales, no bullshit. But it backfired because people like sales.... doesn't matter if your price tag was less than the store next door, if it wasn't "on sale" then it was poo poo.

The JC Penny story is so interesting. The guy who managed to make the Apple Stores into this enormous success story basically thought that everyone knew that department store sales were mostly a scam and would appreciate the refreshing honesty of having that charade ended. Also, by not hiking their non-sale prices up so high, their regular prices would look better than the competition.

Unfortunately, it turns out that a lot of people didn't actually know that sales were a scam, or they just liked to feel as though they got themselves a deal. With the Apple Stores it was a huge success to treat mid-market customers like up-market customers. But people who buy Apple want to be treated up-market. The people who go to JC Penny saw the up-market treatment (no more sales, additional in-store services, etc) as a sign that the store had gotten too expensive for them, when the exact opposite was true.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I've heard that you can "time" liquidation sell offs. If you're able to get in while the liquidation company is taking over, then you actually can get a decent discount. However, it probably just depends on how scummy the liquidators are

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

LanceHunter posted:

The JC Penny story is so interesting. The guy who managed to make the Apple Stores into this enormous success story basically thought that everyone knew that department store sales were mostly a scam and would appreciate the refreshing honesty of having that charade ended. Also, by not hiking their non-sale prices up so high, their regular prices would look better than the competition.

Unfortunately, it turns out that a lot of people didn't actually know that sales were a scam, or they just liked to feel as though they got themselves a deal. With the Apple Stores it was a huge success to treat mid-market customers like up-market customers. But people who buy Apple want to be treated up-market. The people who go to JC Penny saw the up-market treatment (no more sales, additional in-store services, etc) as a sign that the store had gotten too expensive for them, when the exact opposite was true.

It's funny how there are some problems that could be easily "solved" if you could force consumers to question their default preferences and biases for a minute.

Cola drinks have added caramel color, which stains the teeth of people who drink it and stains stuff it spills on. But they add it because people are freaked out by Crystal Pepsi and expect a certain color for their sugar water.
Shoppers popping in to a grocery store for a few perishables like milk, eggs, and bread will have to walk all the way to the back of the store for the refrigerated items. At one point that was because it was easier to maintain the cold chain from delivery to display, being closer to the receiving dock. Now it's just tradition and inertia, because people expect to find it there even though it's less convenient.
People are annoyed when they're stuck in a slow cashier line, and a single queue that splits at the very end to multiple cashiers is objectively faster. People inaccurately perceive the wait in the single queue system to be longer and dislike it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

canyoneer posted:

Shoppers popping in to a grocery store for a few perishables like milk, eggs, and bread will have to walk all the way to the back of the store for the refrigerated items. At one point that was because it was easier to maintain the cold chain from delivery to display, being closer to the receiving dock. Now it's just tradition and inertia, because people expect to find it there even though it's less convenient.
This is and has been fully deliberate. Even if you only need one thing, the store owners want you to walk past everything so you have a higher chance of impulse buying or remembering you need something else

The line is also deliberate. You get more exposure to the checkout racks of magazines and gum and candy that way.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

This is and has been fully deliberate. Even if you only need one thing, the store owners want you to walk past everything so you have a higher chance of impulse buying or remembering you need something else

The line is also deliberate. You get more exposure to the checkout racks of magazines and gum and candy that way.

So you're saying if they stopped having the magazines and candy at the checkstands, I wouldn't have to wait in line any more?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Pham Nuwen posted:

So you're saying if they stopped having the magazines and candy at the checkstands, I wouldn't have to wait in line any more?

no, you'd just be waiting in line without 2 kit kats, a pack of wet wipes and the latest People/Vanity Fair tribute to the latest dead celebrity.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

And all the candy is “conveniently” at a height so it’s fully visible and accessible to a 3-12 year old…..

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I don’t know, I’ve been in line at Joann fabrics and they use the single line thing and the impulse stuff is out in force, and there’s more of it because the line is longer, even if you move through it quicker.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Similarly, airplanes board in a way that makes people more likely to buy seat upgrades next time, not the fastest way. In fact, having people in the front board first is one of the slowest possible ways to organize it, but it's more profitable.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn’t give a poo poo about seat priority if airlines actually enforced overhead baggage limitations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Bird in a Blender posted:

I don’t know, I’ve been in line at Joann fabrics and they use the single line thing and the impulse stuff is out in force, and there’s more of it because the line is longer, even if you move through it quicker.

There’s a wait to check out at Joann fabrics?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it’s not like grocery stores with single lines don’t have impulse stuff there. If anything, there’s a better selection of impulse stuff. The Trader Joe’s I used to live by had a whole impulse gauntlet you had to run to get to the registers.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah it depends if it's built that way. If they set it up from scratch and it has the whole back-and-forth like a Sephora or Marshalls/HomeGoods does, that's plenty of stuff to make you look at. Grocery stores aren't built that way, and I guess it's not worth doing a reno for them?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

rjmccall posted:

Yeah, it’s not like grocery stores with single lines don’t have impulse stuff there. If anything, there’s a better selection of impulse stuff. The Trader Joe’s I used to live by had a whole impulse gauntlet you had to run to get to the registers.

The Trader Joe’s in Boston was so small and so busy the line to check out was the entire store.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

dpkg chopra posted:

I wouldn’t give a poo poo about seat priority if airlines actually enforced overhead baggage limitations.
I’d gladly be the last person on the plane if I was guaranteed bin space.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah it depends if it's built that way. If they set it up from scratch and it has the whole back-and-forth like a Sephora or Marshalls/HomeGoods does, that's plenty of stuff to make you look at. Grocery stores aren't built that way, and I guess it's not worth doing a reno for them?

Yeah, I think you would anyway, even without the impulse displays. The classic store design (in the US, at least) doesn’t have the space for a common line like that in the front, and feeding it into the register lanes would be really awkward. You really want a dense little checkout space for that setup. (I have seen a few of those around, especially in Manhattan.)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

lifg posted:

The Trader Joe’s in Boston was so small and so busy the line to check out was the entire store.

And it was a few doors down from our favorite cheap college burger place. :sigh:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Stores that are remodeling seem to be trending towards a single line feeding a corral of self checkouts with a couple cashiers.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Elephanthead posted:

There’s a wait to check out at Joann fabrics?

Yea because they only have two cashiers, and then some old lady wants to return yarn so one of the registers gets tied up for 10 minutes.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Dik Hz posted:

I’d gladly be the last person on the plane if I was guaranteed bin space.

"we have some space in the back for your bag but you'll have to sit up in the front right next to the bathroom."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: nope, derail

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

rjmccall posted:

Yeah, I think you would anyway, even without the impulse displays. The classic store design (in the US, at least) doesn’t have the space for a common line like that in the front, and feeding it into the register lanes would be really awkward. You really want a dense little checkout space for that setup. (I have seen a few of those around, especially in Manhattan.)

Military commissaries use this model and it's quite nice. The line also doesn't extend into the aisles because it has a specific space that's perpendicular to the aisles and the checkouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Chamale posted:

Similarly, airplanes board in a way that makes people more likely to buy seat upgrades next time, not the fastest way. In fact, having people in the front board first is one of the slowest possible ways to organize it, but it's more profitable.

Sort of. The people up front generally are those who fly more frequently and know how everything works. The front of the plane boards pretty quickly, while Aunt Myrtle and her huge carry-on struggle to figure out how to put the wheels in first on the overhead compartment.