Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

PantsBandit posted:

Playing competitive shooters online on the deck sounds miserable tbh.

I got my rear end handed to me playing TF2 on the Deck, and it's not like I'm not used to online FPS' on console controls - specifically Respawn ones.

It sounds ridiculous but I've actually enjoyed Counter-Strike 1.6 on the Deck, using the track pad to aim. I mean assuming you don't care about being ultra-competitive at CS 1.6 (and why would you at this point), it's possible to enjoy a few rounds and get a few kills on Deck.

CS:GO runs great on Deck too but is a loving nightmare to actually play, for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Would anyone be interested in expanding on Decky loader a little bit on the wiki? Sounds neat.

https://goondeckwiki.com/goondeckwiki/index.php/Decky_loader

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MarcusSA posted:

MonoPrice has some chargers on sale.

Monoprice Obsidian Speed USB Wall Charger, 1-Port, 85W PD Output for iPhone, Android, and Galaxy Devices, 6ft USB Type-C Cable Included
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=35944 $16.99

I have two of these and they work great but they are pretty bulky.

I bought this and it literally drains my steam deck despite saying it's charging it. It will fast charge my phone (according to the phone but haven't really tested it) but I left the deck plugged in for a day or two and it dropped 75% of charge. I just tested it again today to see if I was crazy and left it for a few hours. It was down 1% from where it was when I charged it. It was in sleep mode for all of this. :wtc: Gonna try to RMA it.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 3, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I sat down and got SM64 plus and Ship of Harkinian installed tonight, this is a lot better than playing them in emulators

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Was playing Pentiment last night and got fairly deep into the third act and had a hard crash where no buttons were responding or doing anything. Hard shutdown and power cycle and now the game doesn't see any save games. Tried on my desktop and no cloud saves seem to be there. Oh well, I'll consider the game finished :-|

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

I sat down and got SM64 plus and Ship of Harkinian installed tonight, this is a lot better than playing them in emulators

Any guides you recommend?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So the deals thread led me here. If I want a the ultimate emulating machine for gamecube and below (so also ps2) I'm assuming this is the machine? I want to be able to play the Zelda's Nintendo won't port over, Rogue squadron, the good bond games like Agent under fire and Everything is nothing, SSX, that sort of thing. Size wise, it's a little bigger than a Wii U touchpad right? And it's easy enough to just plug this into a tv or monitor and then use a PS4/5/8 bit controller for those games right?)

For first party I'll still buy them on switch/PS5 when I can, but for everything else i've described does, this sound about right? And I'm assuming the cheapest version plus a big micro sd card will serve my needs well enough? (I'm talking 50 old games or so tops, plus things on steam here and there that peek my interest).

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Nam Taf posted:

I'm not quite sure what you're after. "System Settings" is the name of the application in desktop mode that deals with all of that. If you think it's not equivalent due to missing some stuff, what are you chasing? If you could highlight a list of that, someone (including myself) may be in a position to explain where each of those equivalent features are and maybe provide guidance on how to adjust whatever it is.

I just feel like they’re hiding a big Settings menu in there somewhere :shrug:

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

The main thing I use my deck for is playing ps2 and GC games, sometimes docked, and it works magnificently.

64gb+SD Card is ideal for that.

Also I use a $25 aliexpress dock so don’t think you gotta shell out for the valve one.

Ceramics fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 3, 2023

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Now I want to know about the feasibility of Unreal Tournaments on the Deck. Even bots are okay.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

hadji murad posted:

Now I want to know about the feasibility of Unreal Tournaments on the Deck. Even bots are okay.

Why wouldn't it be feasible? poo poo, I should load up UT2K4 on Steam now that I think about it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Any guides you recommend?

This is the one I used for SM64, you basically just install the windows version and then copy it to the deck, add it to steam as a non-steam game and go nuts.

Pitfalls to watch out for that the guide didn’t mention:

The windows sm64plus installer thing asks you if you want to do a normal installation or portable, you wanna make a portable one and the folder it installs into is the one you copy to the deck.

When you go to add it to steam as a non-steam game the dialog box doesn’t always default to showing all files, so you’ll need to change it to “all files” to see the exe.

Also besides those definitely make extra sure you don’t miss the steps about going into the settings for the game on steam and forcing a compatibility tool (I just picked the latest version I had in the list rather than the specific one the guide asks for and it works fine) because by default it doesn’t even try even though it knows it’s an exe, and especially don’t miss the step once you finally launch the game where you go into the settings and change it from directx to OpenGL.

For SoH I just followed the guide in the readme that comes with the Linux version in their discord, and manually added it to steam as a non-steam game when it was done.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 3, 2023

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ceramics posted:

The main thing I use my deck for is playing ps2 and GC games, sometimes docked, and it works magnificently.

64gb+SD Card is ideal for that.

Also I use a $25 aliexpress dock so don’t think you gotta shell out for the valve one.

So basically, because I haven't been paying attention this sounds like it's more or less the console of my dreams. Portable, has all the old games I love/wanted to play, plus it can play new games, plus it can be docked. Got it.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Why wouldn't it be feasible? poo poo, I should load up UT2K4 on Steam now that I think about it.

Jeez, just searched and it’s not showing up in the store at all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

Good news! A decompilation for A Link To The Past just released and it’s Linux compatible!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Has anyone set up save states while playing Dolphin games? I'm trying to play Fire Emblem Path of Radiance but I am totally over restarting missions over and over because I made one small mistake.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

tensai posted:

Was playing Pentiment last night and got fairly deep into the third act and had a hard crash where no buttons were responding or doing anything. Hard shutdown and power cycle and now the game doesn't see any save games. Tried on my desktop and no cloud saves seem to be there. Oh well, I'll consider the game finished :-|

If you’re willing to mess around in desktop mode, you could check the steam folder where they should be. It’s very possible there are still saves inside whatever prefix was being used but the game crashing caused it to get corrupted and steam made a new one.

Save games for Pentiment would normally be at /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/1205520/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Saved Games/Pentiment but I think if you check there might be a corrupted_pfx instead. You’ll need to show hidden files and folders in the options for dolphin to see .local also.

Very fair if you don’t want to bother but figured it would be helpful to give the option

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

PantsBandit posted:

Has anyone set up save states while playing Dolphin games? I'm trying to play Fire Emblem Path of Radiance but I am totally over restarting missions over and over because I made one small mistake.

If you used emudeck to set up your emulators it already has hot keys for save states ready. Select+L1/R1 for Load/Save respectively. Start+L1/R1 to cycle save slots.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

PantsBandit posted:

Just look up the keyboard shortcuts for the emulator and assign them to a touch menu on one of the touchpads.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Commander Keene posted:

Just look up the keyboard shortcuts for the emulator and assign them to a touch menu on one of the touchpads.

Ceramics posted:

If you used emudeck to set up your emulators it already has hot keys for save states ready. Select+L1/R1 for Load/Save respectively. Start+L1/R1 to cycle save slots.

Cool appreciate it

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

LionArcher posted:

So the deals thread led me here. If I want a the ultimate emulating machine for gamecube and below (so also ps2) I'm assuming this is the machine? I want to be able to play the Zelda's Nintendo won't port over, Rogue squadron, the good bond games like Agent under fire and Everything is nothing, SSX, that sort of thing. Size wise, it's a little bigger than a Wii U touchpad right? And it's easy enough to just plug this into a tv or monitor and then use a PS4/5/8 bit controller for those games right?)

For first party I'll still buy them on switch/PS5 when I can, but for everything else i've described does, this sound about right? And I'm assuming the cheapest version plus a big micro sd card will serve my needs well enough? (I'm talking 50 old games or so tops, plus things on steam here and there that peek my interest).

The 64gb is great and cheap for what it is. If you ever need more storage, you can upgrade the SSD very easily. I put a 512gb drive in mine from eBay that was $55. Sd card is where I'd start though since that's even simpler and about the same price. I think you'll be pretty happy with it but realize it's a little PC that's you'll have to tinker with to get poo poo to work if you're messing with emulators. Good thing is that a billion other nerds have had a head start on you and everything will be documented on the Internet already.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

I bought this and it literally drains my steam deck despite saying it's charging it. It will fast charge my phone (according to the phone but haven't really tested it) but I left the deck plugged in for a day or two and it dropped 75% of charge. I just tested it again today to see if I was crazy and left it for a few hours. It was down 1% from where it was when I charged it. It was in sleep mode for all of this. :wtc: Gonna try to RMA it.

It obviously shouldn't be doing that, and something might very well be wrong with the PSU, but you really need to do some troubleshooting to narrow it down. The Dreck itself will report its power usage and/or rate of charge, so you should've looked at that to see what it at least stated it was doing. Then, it's highly useful to have a USB multimeter like this one which will give you a better idea of what's going on with your devices' power transfer. Beyond that, trying different cables could help, in that it is possible to damage them and have issues even after they appeared to function normally initially.

Walked posted:

Honestly what pushed me over the top on the official one is the fact it has another first-party power adapter too; which I already had wanted to pick up one.

And then you know its a good product / in spec /etc

As I've mentioned before, the official PSU is nothing special and isn't worth very much. You can get an equivalent-to-OEM one by Anker for $15 with the added benefit of it not having a captive cable. You get to supply your own, which you likely already have lying around, but failing that any USB-C-to-C cable will work at a cost of $10 or less. So the $90 official dock is $65 or so (which is not unreasonable, but you can find a dock or hub for less) plus you're paying another ~$25 for the otherwise unnecessary PSU+cable.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Fast forward on emulators (R2 or L2 on most) is so drat good I want it in every game. I know you can through cheat engine but I haven't figured out how to set it up to a key especially on the deck. Like I'm playing through FF12 on the deck which has a FF on battles but I wish I could trigger it on tedious cutscenes like I could on the emulated FFT.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

jokes posted:

Do people play it? I figured it just had, like, super low population

Titanfall 2 is a really good game with a great campaign. Don't buy for the multiplayer since that's pretty much broken by hackers and unplayable except in private servers, unfortunately. Campaign alone is definitely worth the money, especially considering it's usually on sale for like $2.50

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you’ve ever wondered what it would be like to have a bromance with a mech, Titanfall 2 is for you.

Game is real good

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I've had the gear sitting around for a while, and now that I'm finally attempting to tinker with EmuDeck I'm getting a weird issue early on in the process. I'm following the recommended video/text guides to set it up, and after dragging the file to the desktop and executing it, EmuDeck won't go past the terminal console to the installer. (It just ends with the text "up to date, mate.") It's possible I'm missing something fundamental about Linux, but I'm not doing anything different than what the guides are telling me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PageMaster posted:

Titanfall 2 is a really good game with a great campaign. Don't buy for the multiplayer since that's pretty much broken by hackers and unplayable except in private servers, unfortunately. Campaign alone is definitely worth the money, especially considering it's usually on sale for like $2.50

You can get the custom servers working on Deck by the way, I don't know what the populations are but the guide is pretty easy to follow.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Atomizer posted:

It obviously shouldn't be doing that, and something might very well be wrong with the PSU, but you really need to do some troubleshooting to narrow it down. The Dreck itself will report its power usage and/or rate of charge, so you should've looked at that to see what it at least stated it was doing. Then, it's highly useful to have a USB multimeter like this one which will give you a better idea of what's going on with your devices' power transfer. Beyond that, trying different cables could help, in that it is possible to damage them and have issues even after they appeared to function normally initially.

As I've mentioned before, the official PSU is nothing special and isn't worth very much. You can get an equivalent-to-OEM one by Anker for $15 with the added benefit of it not having a captive cable. You get to supply your own, which you likely already have lying around, but failing that any USB-C-to-C cable will work at a cost of $10 or less. So the $90 official dock is $65 or so (which is not unreasonable, but you can find a dock or hub for less) plus you're paying another ~$25 for the otherwise unnecessary PSU+cable.

If you're buying a $400+ product why skimp out on like $30 in savings, with no peace of mind that your stuff won't brick the $400 purchase?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

great news, they fixed whatever the Ubisoft launcher issue was and Trackmania works beautifully on the steam deck

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I got a PS5 today and set up Chiaki4deck so am now playing Gran Turismo 7 in bed.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Hi-Fi Rush is perfect on the Deck. But my natural beat is less than perfect.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

sigher posted:

You can get the custom servers working on Deck by the way, I don't know what the populations are but the guide is pretty easy to follow.

Oh, then absolutely worth getting!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My wired Xbox controller started losing connection randomly and turning off and on again. Any ideas what's up? The battery should be charged (and irrelevant since it's plugged in)

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

njsykora posted:

I got a PS5 today and set up Chiaki4deck so am now playing Gran Turismo 7 in bed.

This is cool. I got Chiaki working pretty quickly.

One Q, I put it in sleep mode on the Deck by pushing the power button, then the whole thing froze on me and I had to go into the PS5 to continue with the game and save.

How do I get around that besides not pushing that darn button. (serves me right for doing things with the kids around)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RBA Starblade posted:

My wired Xbox controller started losing connection randomly and turning off and on again. Any ideas what's up? The battery should be charged (and irrelevant since it's plugged in)

I remember someone in the thread mentioning updating the firmware, through Windows of course.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sigher posted:

I remember someone in the thread mentioning updating the firmware, through Windows of course.

I did that already, it's fully updated. Just started happening recently (was making GBS threads out on Bluetooth before). Maybe it's not providing enough power somehow? RetroArch especially hates when it cuts out

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

LionArcher posted:

The Deck does everything you describe. I think it's a good machine for your use case. Things to know:

1) Installing emulators is pretty easy thanks to EmuDeck

EmuDeck will require some minor tinkering to get the emulators running. Everything you need to know is documented on their official site and / or in this thread, on Reddit, on Discord, etc. EmuDeck is very popular and has a large user community so you'll easily find help.

And you may not even need help. If you're a computer person it will be very straightforward.

2) It works fine plugged in to a TV, I do this all the time including with emulators. I personally like the official dock, but it's expensive. You can also use a less expensive USB-C to HDMI converter. I've personally used this one so I know it works, but you can probably find something cheaper. You also may already own something that will work.

But if you're willing to buy it, I do recommend the official dock.

3) If you get the Deck for your purpose and realize you like using it, keep in mind that it's also a great machine for playing games on Steam and also it's a general purpose computer which is not locked down in any way. You might end up using it for more than your original use case, which is an added bonus.

You can think of the Deck as a laptop with a very weird form factor. (Note: I'm not recommending replacing a laptop with the Deck since the lack of a keyboard would make it incredibly awkward to use like this.)

4) If you need more storage, you can run emulators off an SD card and store your games on it too. I do, it works fine.

Bottom line: The Deck is an awesome emulation machine.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Tried 7 days to die and it seems to run terribly. Anyone else notice this? Guess I should tinker with settings. But I played other games like Cyberpunk 2077 which run perfectly fine.

Guess a janky zombie game perpetually in alpha isn't well optimized for the deck huh.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Bottom line: The Deck is an awesome machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

7 days to die runs terribly on top end machines.