Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Picard, and DISCO post-S2 will most likely get the "TAS"-treatment, its canon if its mentioned elsewhere later.

EDIT: That's at least what I hope happens. Unless PIC S3 is the masterwork of scifi making S1 and S2 make sense, while redeeming this PatStew's "fightin'n'loving"- action hero take on Picard.

EDITEDIT: And I am saying that underneath both PIC S1 and S2 is a mediocre-to-interesting post-TNG Picard movie, if someone would make a mega-edit out of it to the runtime of 2.5-3 hours.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

TAS is a better series and has a stronger claim to being canon than...whatever Picard and Disco are doing. Maybe some parts of those series are OK, but they seem like a mess to me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Picard, and DISCO post-S2 will most likely get the "TAS"-treatment, its canon if its mentioned elsewhere later.

EDIT: That's at least what I hope happens. Unless PIC S3 is the masterwork of scifi making S1 and S2 make sense, while redeeming this PatStew's "fightin'n'loving"- action hero take on Picard.

EDITEDIT: And I am saying that underneath both PIC S1 and S2 is a mediocre-to-interesting post-TNG Picard movie, if someone would make a mega-edit out of it to the runtime of 2.5-3 hours.

I think Season 3 of Picard is probably gonna be hard canon barring any unforseen cockups that ruin it irrevocably and Season 1 and 2 are going to be relegated to "Here's some things that may or may not have happened to Jean-Luc Picard at some point in his life" status, like those "A Time To..." novels that try to be TNG Season 8 to fill in what the Enterprise-E was up to during the Dominion War.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Timby posted:

This has always bothered me and it's emblematic of how sloppy the script is. The Enterprise wasn't on active duty; it was Excelsior that was studying gaseous anomalies on its first mission.

See, I viewed it in a different light and thought it was a nice bit of world building that there was a fleet wide mission to classify gaseous anomalies. Like some science nerd admiral got his turn to set a mission priority.

Where the writing was bad was the ADR of "the universal translator would be recognized" with them paging through dictionaries. In the book, it was mentioned that the saboteur struck again on the computers which is why they had to resort to the book stuff and I think that would have made a more compelling scene had they kept that in.

Otherwise, just have the universal translator print out what the Klingons are saying along with showing them the proper Klingon responses.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I have mixed feelings about whether Saavik or Valeris makes a better villain. On one hand, I don't really see Saavik being taken in by the space MAGA cause, but it would have made for a really interesting dynamic for her character arc to lead there. That's clearly what the writers were thinking with that 'swatting away the phaser' scene in Sickbay. But the guest star being the villain is such a tired trope that it was probably pretty obvious from the start of the movie that Valeris was going to be evil. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the movie (I especially like the subtlety of Valeris waiting outside Kirk's quarters with a recording device).

e: Perhaps more controversially, I actually sort of like the 'forced mind meld' scene. Yes, I 100% understand and sympathize with it being a metaphor for assault, but what I like about it is the fact that it's one of the only times in Star Trek - that I know of - that depicts a more sinister use of the mind meld.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 3, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

bull3964 posted:

See, I viewed it in a different light and thought it was a nice bit of world building that there was a fleet wide mission to classify gaseous anomalies. Like some science nerd admiral got his turn to set a mission priority.

Where the writing was bad was the ADR of "the universal translator would be recognized" with them paging through dictionaries. In the book, it was mentioned that the saboteur struck again on the computers which is why they had to resort to the book stuff and I think that would have made a more compelling scene had they kept that in.

Otherwise, just have the universal translator print out what the Klingons are saying along with showing them the proper Klingon responses.

Its also insulting towards Uhura to suggest that the chief comms officer on the flagship of the fleet isn't fluent or at least passable on discussion-level Klingon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I have mixed feelings about whether Saavik or Valeris makes a better villain. On one hand, I don't really see Saavik being taken in by the space MAGA cause, but it would have made for a really interesting dynamic for her character arc to lead there. That's clearly what the writers were thinking with that 'swatting away the phaser' scene in Sickbay. But the guest star being the villain is such a tired trope that it was probably pretty obvious from the start of the movie that Valeris was going to be evil. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the movie (I especially like the subtlety of Valeris waiting outside Kirk's quarters with a recording device).

e: Perhaps more controversially, I actually sort of like the 'forced mind meld' scene. Yes, I 100% understand and sympathize with it being a metaphor for assault, but what I like about it is the fact that it's one of the only times in Star Trek - that I know of - that depicts a more sinister use of the mind meld.

Saavik was originally supposed to be half Romulan (and in the ST:II book, that point is still mentioned.) If they kept with that character trait, I could see where it would have helped a turn against the Klingons. This is especially true with the Romulan ambassador egging the federation on to have a rescue mission and spark a war.

Der Kyhe posted:

Its also insulting towards Uhura to suggest that the chief comms officer on the flagship of the fleet isn't fluent or at least passable on discussion-level Klingon.

Yeah, that too. I do think they really wanted to show how isolationist the Klingon culture was though. Same thing with McCoy not knowing Klingon anatomy, you are telling me that starfleet medical doesn't have at least a cursory course on the anatomy of the adjacent superpower?

There's a lot about ST:VI that makes it a superior movie to ST:II, by the book. But the script and pacing to ST:II is just so goddamn tight you don't stop to gaze at the flaws.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 3, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i wonder if universal translators end up discouraging people from learning languages or if they just have it turned off in language classrooms

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

bull3964 posted:

There's a lot about ST:VI that makes it a superior movie to ST:II, by the book. But the script and pacing to ST:II is just so goddamn tight you don't stop to gaze at the flaws.

So what you're saying is, if we watched ST:II by the book, flaws would be seen by gaze?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, that too. I do think they really wanted to show how isolationist the Klingon culture was though. Same thing with McCoy not knowing Klingon anatomy, you are telling me that starfleet medical doesn't have at least a cursory course on the anatomy of the adjacent superpower?

McCoy just sucks at doctoring aliens apparently, since later in the movie Spock knows Klingons can’t cry

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

CPColin posted:

So what you're saying is, if we watched ST:II by the book, flaws would be seen by gaze?

They are both excellent movies but there are also some discontinuity and "idiot ball" errors in both of them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CPColin posted:

On one hand, I'm glad someone picked up what I put down.

On the other hand, that's one hell of a groaner.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I can see how Discovery seasons three and later can be referenced, but it's always going to be off-hand.

We might see planets and speices, but it's 700 years between Picard and the Burn, so the cultures of those species might change a lot too.

I think the only sure bet is eventually seeing the begining stages of the Romulan/Vulcan accords that bring about Ni'Var in "modern era" Star Trek.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just want Disco to actually show us these future Federation worlds with 700+ years of new history and developments instead of just giving us yet another season of farting around with galactic crises.

You fuckers have been in the 32nd century for two full seasons and you’ve shown us basically nothing aside from Ni’Var, Trill, and Earth.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You fuckers have been in the 32nd century for two full seasons and you’ve shown us basically nothing aside from Ni’Var, Trill, and Earth.

"For the next several month we plan to just visit all the planets we can and just see all the fascinating changes the 32nd century has in store for us!"

*They immediately crash into a 1950's earth themed planet for the entire season, where a bunch of cloned Elvis's are planning to blow up the galaxy because of poorly explained reasons.*

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Not going to lie, right now all I want is the Chaos Option and for Discovery season five to have a look in on how the Kilingons are doing and they have a completely different appearence again.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

skasion posted:

McCoy just sucks at doctoring aliens apparently, since later in the movie Spock knows Klingons can’t cry
It's kind of funny how McCoy went from struggling with the anatomy of the one alien he had under his care (who was half-human, at that) to eventually writing a standard textbook on comparative physiology. I guess Spock embarrassed him into getting his rear end into gear.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

It's kind of funny how McCoy went from struggling with the anatomy of the one alien he had under his care (who was half-human, at that) to eventually writing a standard textbook on comparative physiology. I guess Spock embarrassed him into getting his rear end into gear.

They could have left it at "McCoy was drunk and desperate, and there's no cure for three phaser blast to the stomach." That's a reasonable explanation enough right there.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, a really stupid oversight; even in the series they could tell from a simple medical scan that the person was a Klingon imposter surgically altered to look like a human.

Considering the amount of genetic manipulation the Klingons were doing to themselves, retconned to the canon, it can be argued that McCoy might not have known the specifics of that particular house of Klingons, but overall he should have been at least knowledgeable of the basic Klingon physiology and anatomy.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I was really hopeful that Discovery would turn into a new "forehead of the week" format with an overall season plot of rebuilding the federation. Even the old foreheads are new again, with 700 years of isolated development. I figured that was the reason for sending them so far into the future, to escape the web of established canon and tell their own stories. And instead we got...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I actually liked the concept of the 10-C being these completely alien forms of life with a unique form of communication, but in no way shape or form did it require an entire season to tell that story. Like, a two or three-parter at most.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I actually liked the concept of the 10-C being these completely alien forms of life with a unique form of communication, but in no way shape or form did it require an entire season to tell that story. Like, a two or three-parter at most.
That was my biggest issue as well

There was absolutely not 13 episodes of story there

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

bull3964 posted:

On one hand, I'm glad someone picked up what I put down.

On the other hand, that's one hell of a groaner.

I don't believe in the no-pun scenario :clint:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FlamingLiberal posted:

That was my biggest issue as well

There was absolutely not 13 episodes of story there

Yup. Conceptually the story was perfectly good and Trek, it was just paced in the most boring possible way.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CPColin posted:

I don't believe in the no-pun scenario :clint:

Computer, activate auto-destruct sequence, authorization Picard Zero-Zero-Zero-Destruct-Zero!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

They could have left it at "McCoy was drunk and desperate, and there's no cure for three phaser blast to the stomach." That's a reasonable explanation enough right there.

I never thought about it, but McCoy walking in and being like "well there's nothing I can do here because his abdomen is hollowed out" could be played off against "YOU DIDN'T EVEN TRY" by the Klingons, who are willingly ignoring that it was a lethal injury in the first place.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Twincityhacker posted:

Not going to lie, right now all I want is the Chaos Option and for Discovery season five to have a look in on how the Kilingons are doing and they have a completely different appearence again.

The complete lack of mention of Klingons in Disco's future is glaring.

They're probably going to say the entire species decided to become insular monks or something, kinda like how the entire Androian species just went criminal in unison.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It is pretty insane that they are two seasons into this new far future setting, and not once have they uttered the word 'Klingon'

We've even had mention of the Xindi, the forgotten AQ species, as of last season.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Klingons were erased from history during the Temporal War.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
What the gently caress is a "Klingon"? :confused:

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Considering they had a whole Klingon War, and then huge chunks of the fandom yelled at the showrunners "no, not like that!" to... all of it?... I can see why they aren't loving touching Klingons with a ten foot pole.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

nine-gear crow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLh4z0cwNS8

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Klingons obviously went from a warrior culture to sneaking thief culture due to a bit to much Ferengi influence. Probably been a Klingon hiding somewhere in every scene.

Any time somethings gone missing last two seasons definitely a Klingon that nicked it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Speaking of Star Trek stuff in Boston Legal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo2b3WUUQ-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZGj8JyBiNo

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8etUcqGv6-0

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

That does not answer my question :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also seeing it for the first time in like a year, I'm remembering all the tiny liberties I took with the tag.

I don't know why it slides into to frame from the top and then the bottom. I think I was trying to visually emulate the way O'Reilly would say "Experiencccccce.... BIJ!" or something.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't know why it slides into to frame from the top and then the bottom. I think I was trying to visually emulate the way O'Reilly would say "Experiencccccce.... BIJ!" or something.

I'm still happy to have it.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

nine-gear crow posted:

The universe is a spheroid region approximately 705 meters in diameter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Twincityhacker posted:

Just bring them back to their original TOS appearance