Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

zoux posted:

The fact that Drellich had a toxic relationship with the Astros - through no fault of his own - is important context when reading his reporting about that team.
This is an odd way to phrase "The fact that Drellich was fired at the behest of the Astros is important context when reading his reporting about that team." Especially given that skepticism you're extending that skepticism to his reporting about the Red Sox (and apparently the Dodgers and Yankees too?)

zoux posted:

Alleging that Red Sox players tried to pay for the unpaid suspension of the guy who helped them cheat is insanely provocative, and it's anonymously sourced. Hopefully it's better sourced in the book, because that is a massive allegation to make without someone willing to put a name behind it.
Was anyone expecting that the same players who tip clubbies tens of thousands of dollars a year wouldn't take care of the glorified clubby who helped them cheat? I'd find "Red Sox players leave suspended replay coordinator hanging" a much more provocative allegation -- or "Red Sox organization pays suspended replay coordinator under the table"

ETA: Maybe there's a part of the CBA that I'm unaware of that forbids players from giving gifts or consideration to suspended front office employees. It'd strike me as odd, given the players are repped by the MLBPA while the replay coordinator and rest of the coaching and front office staff are representatives of ownership. If there is a clause like that, then yes that's an extremely provocative allegation.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

maffew buildings posted:

this is hate speech

the astros are victims of their unjust movement to the AL (the league of crimes)

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
sup y'all - anything going on today in the world of baseball?

Go stros.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Poque posted:

the astros are victims of their unjust movement to the AL (the league of crimes)

Should have moved the Brewers back to their anscestral home

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Poque posted:

Seems like we can fix this by simply abolishing the American League.

The junior circuit...

Paracaidas posted:

Was anyone expecting that the same players who tip clubbies tens of thousands of dollars a year wouldn't take care of the glorified clubby who helped them cheat? I'd find "Red Sox players leave suspended replay coordinator hanging" a much more provocative allegation -- or "Red Sox organization pays suspended replay coordinator under the table"

lol

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Poque posted:

The NL Central went to jail for trying to cheat the Astros - really a shame what happened to that once great division.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Grits4Breakfast/status/1621606913677852673

Not great!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Poque posted:

Seems like we can fix this by simply abolishing the American League.

I don't see why Seattle should have to pay for the crimes of the East Coast and Texas.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

oh, it's baseball's other oldest tradition - racism

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

maffew buildings posted:

oh, it's baseball's other oldest tradition - racism
To be honest it's actually drinking, it wasn't until the later 1800s that they started banning non-whites from playing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cap Anson should absolutely be evicted from the HoF.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

To be honest it's actually drinking, it wasn't until the later 1800s that they started banning non-whites from playing

Late 1800s huh? Weird wonder why.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

This is an odd way to phrase "The fact that Drellich was fired at the behest of the Astros is important context when reading his reporting about that team." Especially given that skepticism you're extending that skepticism to his reporting about the Red Sox (and apparently the Dodgers and Yankees too?)
no you misunderstand, zoux is only skeptical of Drellich’s claims about the Astros. Obviously any claims in the book about other teams cheating can be taken at face value.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh please.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Lol you’ve spent a page trying to downplay the claims about the Astros because Drellich is “compromised” in your opinion, but then made sure to bold the line about unspecified Yankees and Dodgers schemes.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/michaelschwab13/status/1621267816329379846

He was the batting champion in 2021, surprised no one would take a flyer at that price. Especially with the way his bat came alive in the playoffs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Lol you’ve spent a page trying to downplay the claims about the Astros because Drellich is “compromised” in your opinion, but then made sure to bold the line about unspecified Yankees and Dodgers schemes.

Yeah my point is there's a lot about to come out about a lot of teams that's going to be anonymously sourced. I'm not going to believe any of it absent corroboration.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

He was the batting champion in 2021, surprised no one would take a flyer at that price. Especially with the way his bat came alive in the playoffs

He's almost 39 and got dinged up in the WS.

Nelson Cruz did get signed but Yuli isn't a dinger dude.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

I applaud the other 29 teams for taking a principled stand against anti-Asian racism 5 years later.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Eh, he turns 39 in June and was below replacement level last year. OAA was also hugely down on his defense to the point most teams are probably looking at him primarily as a DH candidate. Not all that surprised everybody is holding out to see if his price tag gets closer to the league minimum.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I know if I'm a GM I'm definitely taking more notice of the 50 playoff PAs than the 584 regular season ones

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/thevandalorian/status/1621639378664673282?s=46&t=WCowNbVBMmitL0gOHYbKsg

Jank Pichardo has been assigned

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

Eh, he turns 39 in June and was below replacement level last year. OAA was also hugely down on his defense to the point most teams are probably looking at him primarily as a DH candidate. Not all that surprised everybody is holding out to see if his price tag gets closer to the league minimum.

That's a fair point, his reduced range combined with no more shift is going to hurt him

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

so it’s pretty well established that the 20s Klan was organized basically like an MLM, would’ve been more surprising honestly if they hadn’t cashed in on sports merch. it was something you could be in just very openly and even if you weren’t in the Klan you wouldn’t think twice about them doing this poo poo. Bad times.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Intruder posted:

That's a fair point, his reduced range combined with no more shift is going to hurt him
I also wonder if the medicals are bad, because the Marlins had shown some decent interest and then backed away, and they could use him

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's also worth nothing that Gurriel is absolutely in the tier of guys in the player valuation formula system that all the teams use and results in guys hearing absolute radio silence for months before suddenly getting hit up by five different teams on the same day for the exact same dollar value.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sydin posted:

It's also worth nothing that Gurriel is absolutely in the tier of guys in the player valuation formula system that all the teams use and results in guys hearing absolute radio silence for months before suddenly getting hit up by five different teams on the same day for the exact same dollar value.

What’s this?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It’s collusion with computers

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Crimes2.xlsx

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

It’s collusion with computers

Oh so like everyone shares a proprietary alogrithm that constantly updates player value and even though all of the clubs are all identically valuing players it's not techinically collusion?

I assume this doesn't include superstars signing mega deals, just the $2-5m guys?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
that's why you need managers who aren't afraid to buck the trend and even if it's the new rage they just don't do anal (aka the guys who win rings)

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

zoux posted:

Oh please.

Dude. Just don't try with the people here.

The Astros made Bawfuls sad 6 years ago and no reality will pierce that trauma.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Mike Trout was a Jeopardy clue tonight and they referenced him being known as the Millville Meteor which made me chuckle.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I want to see a SAS version of Jeopardy

"This top prospect was traded from team to team, creating suspicion that he had been diagnosed with 'Super AIDS'"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

Dude. Just don't try with the people here.

The Astros made Bawfuls sad 6 years ago and no reality will pierce that trauma.

Nah, I get it, we earned it, and Dodger fans definitely have a legitimate grievance with the team. I should know better. I get everyone is sick of it - but the books going to come out and it's gonna open a bunch of sore wounds for a lot of people and there are a lot of people that still want to litigate it, the MLB response, Manfreddery, etc. It's gonna be the biggest sports talk/internet fight since the original report dropped in 19

davecrazy posted:

Mike Trout was a Jeopardy clue tonight and they referenced him being known as the Millville Meteor which made me chuckle.

Bring back these kinds of nicnames for many more players, imo

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 4, 2023

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

davecrazy posted:

That's one of the greatest things ever to come out of this website.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I don't remember who said it, but the spring training he bulked up someone called him Millville Meatier. Which for some reason lodged in brain.

Also, I was hilariously wrong on Trout. I remember telling you all you were overreacting saying he was going to be better than DiMaggio. And fuckin' whelp.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Somebody got dog piled for saying his floor was comparable to Mantle or somebody similar. Turns out…

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

davecrazy posted:

I explained the story to my girlfriend after i started laughing and she did not care lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Jared_Carrabis/status/1621692016521367554

That's a big al