Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The best free agent WR is #35 and it's a player already on my team so uh yeah Chiefs have ten picks in the draft but not ten positions to fill and the youngest team in the playoffs trade up for Hyatt or JSN because there's bupkis in free agency.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2023-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Doltos posted:

The OSU OTs are p good

This owns. Just completely sandwich the ends.

kiimo posted:

The best free agent WR is #35 and it's a player already on my team so uh yeah Chiefs have ten picks in the draft but not ten positions to fill and the youngest team in the playoffs trade up for Hyatt or JSN because there's bupkis in free agency.

I think you'll be surprised when you look at #7. You probably don't want him anyway.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I want my team, the Philadelphia Eagles, to keep all of their good players and add all of the good players from the other teams.

Serious talk: gonna be interesting to see how they shuffle the D line next year because that's a lot of talent but they're all gettin' old.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

kiimo posted:

Simply trade for the best receiver in the league for peanuts from a dumb as poo poo franchise like the titans

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Doltos posted:

The OSU OTs are p good

I love how they meet in the middle

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

Simply trade for the best receiver in the league for peanuts from a dumb as poo poo franchise like the titans

Kadarius Toney needs to become the best receiver in the league and check!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

So do all the seniors at the senior bowl suck or what?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I mean they're seniors so they didn't come out early so there's that. Also they're bothering to show up at the senior bowl.

Just like every year I don't think all of them suck and some could and probably will be really good, they're just not generational prospects.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

kiimo posted:

I'm not even a Chiefs fan and I'm hoping they package a few picks/make cap space for an existing stud. Imagine what that offense would be like with a guy like Tyreek Hill!

But seriously I am hoping they add a vet.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The sixth year senior center from Minnesota with four names and a thick neck apparently did well.

Would love the hawks to grab him in third or even late second.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its not what it used to be even 5 years ago. I think the whole thing is now so scouts and front office staff can compare notes, schmooze with agents before free agency begins and horse trade as much as it is anything else.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

BlindSite posted:

Its not what it used to be even 5 years ago. I think the whole thing is now so scouts and front office staff can compare notes, schmooze with agents before free agency begins and horse trade as much as it is anything else.

No and No. Senior Bowl is still hugely important and have a lot of high quality players across the board, especially since every continuously tests better every year.

They have less QBs showing up but that's about it.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

There's no small school wonders like Quinn Meirez or other particularly surprising dudes this year so it just feels boring. Seen plenty of stuff about guys doing well and whatnot just no headline worthy things other than Dawand Jones being even more NBA sized than most tackles.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Also with me just defending the senior bowl this is the worst practice I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06p-U_rWbug

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Chiming in from today’s film and construction (highly recommend not doing renovations when you have time consuming hobbbies and life changes)

The merits of the senior bowl are largely in grabbing positions like OL that take a while to develop and can come from strange places like NDSU where they have senior bowl eligibility but you can’t really guarantee what the tape shows for a level of competition. Alternatively guys like Dawand Jones who came in as complete developmental projects who have improving tape over the years can use it like a capstone.

The DB talent is usually pretty meh. Young twitchy corners come out early. Lots of high-end CB2s and complement safeties.

LBs and TE, you’re going to fine a similar thing where there’s no one dominant but a whole lot of technically dominant or scheme competent guys emerge.

If I’m being honest, the worst part of the senior bow is the QB/WR play because it’s essentially mashing wildly different styles on 1/10 of the time of a typical install and camp. It favors either check down merchants or guys who can really stretch plays or the field, not really guys who can hit tight windows and timing routes because what timing play are you installing in a week.

DL content is all over the place. There is usually insanely good nose play and hit or miss under tackle play. A lot of your edge guys here are either weird tweeners or technically sound guys who are very very attuned to one scheme.

You’re not finding many prototype guys here who are 95th percentile in things without some obvious drawbacks, but the idea that the talent is worse doesn’t bare out—if anything teams just value older guys less right now.

Doltos posted:

Also with me just defending the senior bowl this is the worst practice I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06p-U_rWbug

Lmao. I’ve had a hot take for a while that everyone should adapt Venables “CBs play in boxing gloves” drill for this because it mentally tells a corner “you have to move and space yourself to win” in a setting like this because half the time corners just panic and try to stare at a dude’s hands to keep position and lose 3 steps in the process. My take is strengthened here by the fact that the only successful coverage played is essentially someone getting pressed so hard they fall over while every other corner bites on a double and either mugs the guy or gets torched. Utterly insane how many guys try to face guard out of college when it’s like an automatic flag half the time prior to the NFL. Learn where you’re supposed to be and turn your loving head.

Put another way, I can’t tell if you’re trying to play bail or side saddle or whatever if your only idea if you o press and then try to face guard. It’s like when I see a DL spin for no obvious reason—cool you got free and took away all your momentum while losing line of sight on the ball, awesome.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

fennesz posted:

I'm not even a Chiefs fan and I'm hoping they package a few picks/make cap space for an existing stud. Imagine what that offense would be like with a guy like Tyreek Hill!

But seriously I am hoping they add a vet.

I like our chances moving up for Hyatt more.

Also the Chiefs have Justyn Ross let's not forget

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Doltos posted:

No and No. Senior Bowl is still hugely important and have a lot of high quality players across the board, especially since every continuously tests better every year.

They have less QBs showing up but that's about it.

Wasn't the last first rounder at the senior bowl carson wentz?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Re: senior bowl

What do you think of Keion White? Started at a small school (old dominion) but was productive at GT and has gotten crazy stock inflation after performing well.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

BlindSite posted:

Wasn't the last first rounder at the senior bowl carson wentz?

Justin Herbert was there.

There was a bunch of first and second round picks even last year. There is every year.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Senior_Bowl#National_team

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 4, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Huh. Shows I was mistaken. Imma read more about the senior bowl today.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think 80 or so percent of the senior bowl gets drafted. You might be thinking Shrine Bowl? That tends to be day 3 picks and UDFAs trying to get noticed.

Herbert was horrible at the Senior Bowl. His tape in college was pretty bad and then he comes to the NFL and is phenomenal

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Danny LaFever posted:

I think 80 or so percent of the senior bowl gets drafted. You might be thinking Shrine Bowl? That tends to be day 3 picks and UDFAs trying to get noticed.

Herbert was horrible at the Senior Bowl. His tape in college was pretty bad and then he comes to the NFL and is phenomenal

Based on track records since Herbert left Oregon, it's pretty clear Mario Cristobal is a loving moron

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Based on track records since Herbert left Oregon, it's pretty clear Mario Cristobal is a loving moron

He sure as hell could recruit linemen though.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Danny LaFever posted:

Didn't Herbert win MVP of the senior bowl

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a neat cape posted:

Yeah, he completed something like 10 of 12 for a touchdown and a hundred yards.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't think he was there

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Myles Murphy isn't very good behind the LOS

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Jordan Travis makes many look like fools.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

Game doesn't matter much. He was pretty bad in the practices and drills. Now its tough for QBs to come in there with receivers they don't know and look great, but he was just bad. A lot of people had him wrote off because of it. Obviously doesn't matter. A lot of people got that projection wrong.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lotta recent drafts don’t have consensus on which QBs are going in which order.

That’s fun :)

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

As if to prove your point, here's one from The Athletic that starts Anderson-Stroud-Richardson-Levis-Carter-Young.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I am a mole for the athletic.

I pilfer the resilient insight from something awful . Com and pass it off on my own.

This is the state of journalism in 2023.

Ps ty for sharing that article

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

tinstaach posted:

As if to prove your point, here's one from The Athletic that starts Anderson-Stroud-Richardson-Levis-Carter-Young.

This is such a classic pre-combine mock draft. “gently caress it, let’s just throw out a weird permutation of picks to drive engagement; it’s not like anyone will remember this existed in 2 months when we’re on Mock Draft 8.3”

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I am a mole for the athletic.

I pilfer the resilient insight from something awful . Com and pass it off on my own.

This is the state of journalism in 2023.

Ps ty for sharing that article

Beats editors publishing reddit comments and tweets.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

tinstaach posted:

Anything before the leaks leading up to the draft is 100% hearsay and opinion. It's why I rail against starting the draft thread early and have no problem moving around my draft board.

If I had to call it right now it'd be Stroud - Levis - Richardson - Young in draft order and even that will probably shake up once the pro days and combine happen.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Doltos posted:

Anything before the leaks leading up to the draft is 100% hearsay and opinion. It's why I rail against starting the draft thread early and have no problem moving around my draft board.

If I had to call it right now it'd be Stroud - Levis - Richardson - Young in draft order and even that will probably shake up once the pro days and combine happen.

I’m genuinely fascinated what happens when Bryce measures in at 5’9” 180. I’m not 100% sure someone can talk themselves into Richardson over him, but Stroud and Levis both seem like they’re going to immediately get handwaved across.

Doltos posted:

The OSU OTs are p good

Dawand benefitted a lot from the new coach this year. His tape before this season was really really underwhelming with him getting knocked off balance all the time and coming high. He really fixed up his feet this year and got to a point where he can anchor better, although I’m still concerned about his vision as the play side T when he’s on the double.

Paris is an awesome pass protector who I want playing 10-15 pounds heavier I think. He’s got a great frame but he just doesn’t have the weight in the heels that I want on some plays where a guy with size can go at him.

Really this is a great class for good T prospects with upside and a weird class for IOL. Other than Torrence and Voorhees, no one has really jumped to me in the middle. I think Ekiyor is getting overrated for being a big guy who lost weight (and also some considerable power) where they probably are underrating Cohen because so many of Cohen’s reps were him trying to salvage a double team when one of his partners would miss. Bama’s line development is absolutely tragic right now.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Would Hooker be in the top 10 discussion if he were 3 years younger?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TheGreyGhost posted:

I’m genuinely fascinated what happens when Bryce measures in at 5’9” 180. I’m not 100% sure someone can talk themselves into Richardson over him, but Stroud and Levis both seem like they’re going to immediately get handwaved across.

Dawand benefitted a lot from the new coach this year. His tape before this season was really really underwhelming with him getting knocked off balance all the time and coming high. He really fixed up his feet this year and got to a point where he can anchor better, although I’m still concerned about his vision as the play side T when he’s on the double.

Paris is an awesome pass protector who I want playing 10-15 pounds heavier I think. He’s got a great frame but he just doesn’t have the weight in the heels that I want on some plays where a guy with size can go at him.

Really this is a great class for good T prospects with upside and a weird class for IOL. Other than Torrence and Voorhees, no one has really jumped to me in the middle. I think Ekiyor is getting overrated for being a big guy who lost weight (and also some considerable power) where they probably are underrating Cohen because so many of Cohen’s reps were him trying to salvage a double team when one of his partners would miss. Bama’s line development is absolutely tragic right now.

I think hes good enough that someone with a decent line would take him anyway. poo poo I'd be happy to have him.

If I was head coach I'd also find the meanest most broken brain guard I could and tell him any late hits or cheap poo poo and you murder them but that's also just me.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diva Cupcake posted:

Oh I forgot about Hooker

He's a second rounder easily this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Diva Cupcake posted:

His knee also exploded, so, he’s got multiple things working against him