Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

the chinese authorities want to steal the technological advancements of groverhaus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Have they tried ban all balloon technology to Chinese companies? Also BALN! act.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

A very unorthodox strategy

quote:

RFA: At the World Economic Forum in January, Chinese Vice-Premier Liu He stated that the West should abandon its Cold War mentality and that China is now open for business. He also held a separate meeting with U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen and invited her to visit the country. There is a lot of excitement on Wall Street with many corporations looking to invest in China now that the COVID lockdowns are over. How should we read this in light of the ongoing genocide and the tragic stories of people who lost their lives because of the strict zero-COVID policy?

Krach: One of the big things we’re doing is we’re shining the light of transparency on China, which also means we’ve got to shine the light of transparency on ourselves. You brought up the World Economic Forum that I’ve been going to for 20 years. … This is the premier gathering of governments and corporations along the lines of social responsibility. Before I wrote last year’s op-ed, I went through that website backwards and forwards. It’s a complicated, all-inclusive website, and I couldn't find anywhere any mention of Uyghurs or anything on the genocide in Xinjiang. What that shows is that they’re conflicted.

China’s strategy is to seduce with money and reinforce with intimidation and retaliation.
Here you have that prominent forum and all about talking about human rights, and they don’t even mention it. Now, that’s kind of hypocritical.
https://www.rfa.org/english/news/uyghur/keith-krach-02032023175741.html

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
all those people who lost their lives due to zero covid

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

#balloonquiddick

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/Hezbolsonaro/status/1621647806594437120

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Maybe it was a Chinese ploy to measure America's air defense response time, and the answer they got was "lol, lmao".

Funniest outcome would be if the US tries and fails to shoot it down, and then it crashes in France and they confirm it was a weather balloon.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

the US sends two F-35s to intercept it, the balloon gets sucked into the engine of one causing it to crash into the second

boom, first balloon kills on 5th gen fighters

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Montana is a huge swathe of land with like 12 people in it so lol at the "debris could injure people" argument when they've obviously had plenty of opportunities to do so. Its probably because the damage to Chinese relations that would come with that isn't worth it(for now). We need relations to be relatively normal while we prepare Taiwan for a Chinese invasion that we certainly won't play any part in provoking in a few years.

America's media predictably freaking out going all John Wayne with demands to shoot it down has been a hoot though. I'm sure some rednecks out there have been shooting at it.

Thanks for all the meme content, Xi.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

mawarannahr posted:

China’s strategy is to seduce with money and reinforce with intimidation and retaliation

ah yes those chinese "intimidation and retaliation" by loans to poor countries that are infinitely charitable in default penalties than the likes of IMF

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Remember this from 1 month ago

https://twitter.com/AmRaadPSF/status/1607341242223935488?s=20

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i wish i could get nuked over a loving weather balloon but sadly i doubt im so lucky

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Owns

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1577462358275985408?s=20&t=u0C4cbCzK96dg9tV-XnACg

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

"Hey look, there's gonna be a stampede"

"naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

lmao Deal from strength or get crushed every time

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Palladium posted:

"Hey look, there's gonna be a stampede"

"naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"

Oh this is a good one too.

Oct 26, 2022 - Govt., ruling party vow to step up fight against drugs

Oct 26, 2022 - Drug crimes involving foreigners see 6.5 fold rise since 2012: study

Oct 28, 2022 - [Editorial] Proliferation of drugs - Government must strengthen crackdown and run joint programs to stop spread of drugs

Nov 1, 2022 - Fact-checking some of the claims about Itaewon disaster

quote:

How many police officers were in Itaewon?

Police said 137 police officers were dispatched to the nightlife district on Saturday.

When broken down by the role, however, only 58 police officers were in uniform while 79 were undercover and assigned to dealing with crimes such as drug offenses, MBC reported.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
it's definitely just a normal rear end weather balloon and some poor lab is not going to get the data they need

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

imagine discovering what happened to your balloon because of yankee broke brains on the internet

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

:thunk:

the quote is referring to the original balloon over the USA, it's badly worded, but it's a truth-revealing slip

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
not gonna lie this Balloon saga is one of the funniest things ive seen in a while and the idea that america is making GBS threads its pants over it but wont shoot at it is super funny.

also america does this all the time with the U2 and Blackbird to other countries why are they mad that someone is doing this to them now with a stupid balloon lol

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Al-Saqr posted:

not gonna lie this Balloon saga is one of the funniest things ive seen in a while and the idea that america is making GBS threads its pants over it but wont shoot at it is super funny.

also america does this all the time with the U2 and Blackbird to other countries why are they mad that someone is doing this to them now with a stupid balloon lol

it will only get funnier if china starts telling them to shoot it down

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
but seriously though why dont they just shoot it whats the issue

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

America's ultimate defese was when an overpass collapsed the first time a chinese tank tried to drive over it

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 06:05 on Feb 4, 2023

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

balloon is unbreakable

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

weird way to find out they gave away the entire military to the Taliban and Ukraine

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Al-Saqr posted:

it's just a weather balloon. the jig would be up

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Quote is not edit

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

alternatively: you don't want to be the guy who lost an f-35 to a balloon

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

oh sure it's always a weather balloon and never an alien, but the one time it is a weather balloon they call it a spy device

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
actually it's the F-15 that can carry the ASM-135 ASAT missile

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

:thunk:

the quote is referring to the original balloon over the USA, it's badly worded, but it's a truth-revealing slip

Can you imagine a 3rd balloon?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Danann posted:

alternatively: you don't want to be the guy who lost an f-35 to a balloon

they might have to zoom climb like that f15 did when it blew up a satellite (http://www.svengrahn.pp.se/histind/ASAT/F15ASAT.html) and there's a non-zero chance of absolutely eating poo poo, yeah

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

it would be much more embarrassing to try and fail than to not try at all

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
🎈

🎈

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
apparently a third balloon was shot down near the pentagon???

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Centrist Committee posted:

Now this sounds like they're just making poo poo up

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Centrist Committee posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

how's china going to do that when they're going to collapse in 2025