Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
[sees hundreds of bicycles parked at a dutch primary school]

i certainly hope they all have licenses for those!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

you're a tedious dick and you know what you're doing

So do you like drivers, bikers, or pedestrians?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

So do you like drivers, bikers, or pedestrians?

i dislike you, as a poster

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Petanque posted:

[sees hundreds of bicycles parked at a dutch primary school]

i certainly hope they all have licenses for those!
Yes! If they're on a public road they should follow a few basic standards. And pedestrians should come first

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
What kind of wimpy pedestrian are you that you're incapable of bullying bikes out of your way? I have to walk around town arguing with BMW drivers and lifted truck assholes. Bicyclists are barely a consideration.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Revoke Teriyaki Hairpiece's license to post IMO.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Pedestrian focused development should always come first and anyone with wheels should yield to bags of meat

All else is dross

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pedestrian focused development should always come first and anyone with wheels should yield to bags of meat

All else is dross

Please focus this thread on hating cars, there is thread for hating bicycles if you want to do that

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Please focus this thread on hating cars, there is thread for hating bicycles if you want to do that

Anti car doesn't necessarily mean pro bicycle

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i hate pedestrians ngl. When I'm walking around people are so slow and so oblivious too walking on one side of the sidewalk its maddening!

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

All else is dross

wheelchair users are pedestrians

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I hate shopping carts so much. it's cool if they're outside and not used for shopping though.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Anti car doesn't necessarily mean pro bicycle

Yes exactly, anti car necessarily means anti-car nothing else, especially not anti-another thing you have a grudge against

Pepe Silvia Browne has issued a correction as of 04:25 on Feb 4, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

duomo posted:

wheelchair users are pedestrians

What if they literally have no feet?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'll say this honestly and earnestly: gently caress cars

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I think bikers should be licensed, their bikes should be licensed

This is where your dumb poo poo falls apart. Western law recognizes a right to movement under your own power, and any suggestions otherwise are garbage carbrain poo poo.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I have a god-given right to push a wheelchair, push a shopping cart, and ride a bike, wherever the gently caress I want. gently caress you.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

nowhere does the line between pedestrian and car blur. this can happen with bikes

nor has anyone in my city been hospitalized by a pedestrian running into another one in the last few weeks, whereas a cyclist has hit a pedestrian and caused this.

just be careful around pedestrians

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mawarannahr posted:

nowhere does the line between pedestrian and car blur.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

mawarannahr posted:

nowhere does the line between pedestrian and car blur. this can happen with bikes

nor has anyone in my city been hospitalized by a pedestrian running into another one in the last few weeks, whereas a cyclist has hit a pedestrian and caused this.

should focus your energy and hate on getting cars banned instead of tut tutting cyclists

if there's no cars, we can ride in the street and away from you

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

blurred lines:

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

a segway is a blured line between being a pedestrian and a car.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
You know on second glance, these two things pretty much are the same sort of menance to public safety

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

most urban bicyclists have car brain but that's by necessity of material conditions etc

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

mawarannahr posted:

Now do how many pedestrians have been hospitalized by cars in your city

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Personally I'd rather not be injured by anyone in any conveyance, be it car, bicycle, or howdah. I'd rather just be able to walk around in the fresh air without danger

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
bicyclists do not have car brain by virture of not being in a car, it's a pretty simple concept

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017
Bikes make it possible to live without a car in places that aren't walkable.

Bikes are also great in places that are walkable and have decent bike paths (separate from pedestrians or shared paths wide enough for bikes to pass pedestrians safely).

Bikes are maybe not so great in places that are walkable but do not have good bike paths, because bikes should not be on a narrow or crowded sidewalk with pedestrians.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Now do how many pedestrians have been hospitalized by cars in your city

of course it's a lot higher. the point is bicycles share some qualities of cars -- sometimes to the point of being indistinguishable from them -- and bicyclists share some qualities of drivers in many places. in general both these are the result of despised automotive culture and pedestrians suffer from this.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Greatbacon posted:

bicyclists do not have car brain by virture of not being in a car, it's a pretty simple concept

no, it's not like that, especially for cyclists who are also drivers.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

mawarannahr posted:

no, it's not like that, especially for cyclists who are also drivers.

but it is? to have car brain one must be in a car, it's literally in the name

now maybe there is something like "biker" brain, but that's an altogether different thing because bikes are not cars you see. I really don't know why you have difficulty grasping this simple fact?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Cyclists are usually better people than car owners but they don't always behave their best and it's not car love or car brain just to say that

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Greatbacon posted:

but it is? to have car brain one must be in a car, it's literally in the name

now maybe there is something like "biker" brain, but that's an altogether different thing because bikes are not cars you see. I really don't know why you have difficulty grasping this simple fact?

bikes are sometimes cars, especially four wheeled ones with electric motors. you seem to be rejecting the notion that urban infrastructure, the aggression cyclists are required to have due to dangerous conditions created by cars, automobility culture, and the habituation that can occur in cyclists who are also drivers exist at all. a bizarre way to perceive the world, as if everything exists in its own totally inert sphere (very car brained!)

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Any pedestrian who has consciously participated in the anti-car development for the last decades or has closely observed that development will at once say, after reading these arguments, “What old and familiar rubbish! What ‘Ultra-walker’ childishness!”

But let us examine these arguments a little more closely.

The mere presentation of the question—“anti-bike or anti-car?”—testifies to most incredibly and hopelessly muddled thinking.

Teriyaki Hairpiece’s attempts to give the question more “profundity” and to proclaim that bikes are unnecessary and “bad” are so supremely absurd that one can only shrug one’s shoulders. It all goes to drive home the truth that a minor error can always assume monstrous proportions if it is persisted in, if profound justifications are sought for it, and if it is carried to its logical conclusion.

These people want to invent something quite out of the ordinary, and, in their effort to be clever, make themselves ridiculous.

Repudiation of the anti-car principle and of anti-car discipline—that is what the opposition has arrived at. And this is tantamount to completely disarming the anti-car movement in the interests of the car industry.

It all adds up to that car-brained diffuseness and instability, that incapacity for sustained effort, unity and organised action, which, if encouraged, must inevitably destroy any anti-car revolutionary movement. From the standpoint of the anti-car movement, repudiation of the anti-car principle means attempting to leap from the eve of the car society’s collapse (in America), not to the lower or the intermediate phase of non-car society, but to the higher.

We outside America (still in the first century since the introduction of bike lanes and trains) are making the first steps in the transition from a car-brained society to a non-car-brained society or the lower stage of personal transport.

Bikes still remain, and will remain everywhere for years after the non-car movement’s conquest of power.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

look at this car that got owned

quote:

Police are investigating after a motorist crashed into Lake Washington and then fled on foot, leaving the car upside down in the water.

At 6:54 p.m., multiple 911 callers reported seeing a car go into Lake Washington near Lake Washington Boulevard South and South Horton Street. Police and firefighters arrived and found a blue Ford Focus upside down in shallow water along the shore. Firefighters checked the car and found it unoccupied.

According to witnesses, the driver was speeding and lost control of the car. After the crash, he got out of the car and ran — soaking wet — from the scene.
the environmental hazard from the above is pretty sad even if the pic is really funny. one thing bicycles rarely do is pose a serious environmental hazard like the above. probably only when there's a battery involved.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The main thing I keep saying is that cyclists, at least here in America, want to have their cake and eat it too. They want very much to be respected as operators of vehicles, they want other vehicles to respect their rights of way, signal properly, stay out of their lanes, and yield to them at the proper times. However, they don't want their vehicles licensed or inspected, they don't want to be licensed themselves, they don't want to have to follow basic safety procedures like helmet wearing, and they want to go the wrong way down one ways, make turns without signaling, sail through crosswalks, not stop at stop signs or red lights, and bike on the sidewalk.

Either you're a vehicle or you're not. Either you're a pedestrian or you're not. You don't get to pick and choose.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

A properly designed city has pedestrian spaces and grade separated bike paths where never the two have to meet

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

look at this car that got owned

the environmental hazard from the above is pretty sad even if the pic is really funny. one thing bicycles rarely do is pose a serious environmental hazard like the above. probably only when there's a battery involved.

When not in a lake, cars emit like 4 tons of CO2 per year on purpose, by design.

e: lol though, thank you for sharing the pic

FlutieFlake has issued a correction as of 06:05 on Feb 4, 2023

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

The main thing I keep saying is that cyclists, at least here in America, want to have their cake and eat it too. They want very much to be respected as operators of vehicles, they want other vehicles to respect their rights of way, signal properly, stay out of their lanes, and yield to them at the proper times. However, they don't want their vehicles licensed or inspected, they don't want to be licensed themselves, they don't want to have to follow basic safety procedures like helmet wearing, and they want to go the wrong way down one ways, make turns without signaling, sail through crosswalks, not stop at stop signs or red lights, and bike on the sidewalk.

Either you're a vehicle or you're not. Either you're a pedestrian or you're not. You don't get to pick and choose.
Check this out:
https://i.imgur.com/lw1AjTF.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Greatbacon posted:

You know on second glance, these two things pretty much are the same sort of menance to public safety

trick of perspective that man is 3'2"