Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I didn't get the reinforcements at all, so try going faster I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is the trigger for reinforcements getting too close to Lyn? Or is it after a certain number of turns?

This is the kinda “gotcha!” poo poo that drives me crazy about FE games. I hate when they put you in an impossible situation so the only thing you can do is start the entire battle over. Thankfully this one is optional, so I can come back later.

After a couple turns Lyn says a line about how she's gonna stop waiting around or something and then next turn reinforcements pop up.

Map required a restart from me as well. But its a fairly short one so it wasn't too much of a bother.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This is the kinda “gotcha!” poo poo that drives me crazy about FE games. I hate when they put you in an impossible situation so the only thing you can do is start the entire battle over. Thankfully this one is optional, so I can come back later.

they literally tell you at the start of the map that you need to go after the tents or dudes will come out of them

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Augus posted:

they literally tell you at the start of the map that you need to go after the tents or dudes will come out of them

Yes they hint at it but they don’t give any indication of what triggers it. I took out about half of them before it happened, but it still made it impossible to win without losing several characters.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
is Halberdier the most forgettable advanced class in engage, didn't even know it was a thing till i looked more closely at the class change list

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

GateOfD posted:

is Halberdier the most forgettable advanced class in engage, didn't even know it was a thing till i looked more closely at the class change list

no, that's all the cavs

Halberdier has a pretty good skill alongside being a back-up type unit.

What is the point of royal knight for example

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

GateOfD posted:

No one is a halberdier pre-promote. Timerra has a personal class that's basically halberdier, but her growths are such that she only does damage on 1/3 hit she procs her skill. I'm thinking of trying someone like Merrin as one (because I'd never give up Yunaka as my dagger and Merrin desperately needed str when I used her)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

GateOfD posted:

I mean that’s what’s going to happen when specifically Halberdier is only available through reclassing.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

When do we get the Nephenee emblem

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Any tips for chapter 24? My first attempt didn't go so hot with the avalanche gimmick, and the enemies are bulky enough that I don't seem to be able to safely bumrush to the boss within 15 turns.

Granted it's late here so maybe my brain just isn't working well but next attempt I'm just going to try to get everyone in a single lane and see how that goes

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Khizan posted:

I made Lapis into a Sword General on Hard and she's been absolutely ridiculous.

Run her into any group of people, pop the Pure Water if there's any casters, watch them all eat Killing Edge. In addition to taking almost no physical damage at all she's fast enough to double a lot of enemies, she's dodgy enough that most casters I'm facing now only have a ~64% hit rate against her, and her high crit rate means that she usually kills anybody she can counterattack that's not another armor unit. Only weakness is that she can't really counterattack effectively at range.

hahah what the gently caress

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Imagine having a General with double digit speed in this game. Cannot relate.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I like Lapis’s color palettes :unsmith:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Unfortunately speed cap is real and Hard starts throwing 35 speed as a baseline by the last quarter of the game.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i assume i have to actually grind up iron and silver and gold to upgrade stuff in maddening.
on hard, and i have done no extra chapters other than paralogues and main story other than one extra town map to see how it is.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Which characters are good candidates for martial master?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Don’t think there’s anything wrong with just making framme your martial master

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Assuming you're doing it because you want to punch things, please note that Scrolls calculate damage using the average of your Str and Mag stats, not just one.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

GateOfD posted:

i assume i have to actually grind up iron and silver and gold to upgrade stuff in maddening.
on hard, and i have done no extra chapters other than paralogues and main story other than one extra town map to see how it is.
One of the difficulty things maddening does is severely restrict your ability to grind, so not really.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
replaying on hard mode, i just beat chapter 5

i know that Warp Ragnorok and Celine both kinda fall off in utility as the game goes on, but right now, it's very fun to drop an angry princess on the head of the boss and obliterate his entire health bar

in contrast... hoo boy alfred needs some work, huh.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Lol I did the Ike paralogue. Ike attacked and Diamant got a crit for a life before Ike could even strike, then Diamant killed him next turn.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
idk if alfred functions better with fixed growths but so far he's always been a fair bit worse than amber by the time he shows up, which is pretty embarassing considering that amber and jade are two of the only recruits that don't completely obviate your previous character(s) in their role

(part of that is that alfred and amber actually function somewhat differently thanks to how bulky he is, as opposed to a situation like etie/alcryst where he's slightly weaker str-wise but miles ahead in every other stat, in a class where your weapon might is regularly tripled)

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 4, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ungulateman posted:

idk if alfred functions better with fixed growths but so far he's always been a fair bit worse than amber by the time he shows up, which is pretty embarassing considering that amber and jade are two of the only recruits that don't completely obviate your previous character(s) in their role

(part of that is that alfred and amber actually function somewhat differently thanks to how bulky he is, as opposed to a situation like etie/alcryst where he's slightly weaker str-wise but miles ahead in every other stat, in a class where your weapon might is regularly tripled)

Endorph posted their average stats when I wondered the same thing, and yeah at base Amber just dunks on Alfred if they’re the same level but Alfred eventually has his growths kick in to become pretty tanky, since it’s 60% and he has a solid base. Of course, that only goes so far when he won’t hit them…

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Will this game grow on me or should I return it?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm pretty sure I figured out the Chap 10/11 gimmick by accidentally mousing over spoilers

Do you get your Emblems back in a chapter or two, or is it a long term absence

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm pretty sure I figured out the Chap 10/11 gimmick by accidentally mousing over spoilers

Do you get your Emblems back in a chapter or two, or is it a long term absence

you get the other emblems instead over the next few chapters, including some in 11. the first set don't come back for a while.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
This game is not the vibe. Will be consulting my GameStop guy tomorrow to see what my options are

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I’m kinda sad other people are so down on Alfred because I’ve found him really valuable on my Hard playthrough. He’s not one-rounding a lot, which to be fair a lot of people are able to do, but his high movement + durability gives him a lot more flexibility on where he can go compared to most of my squad.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I mean, I can put him in range of three enemy units and he won't explode so he's pretty good to me

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Alfred makes a good Ike user on maddening tbh.

Im thinking if I should use wyvern Panette or Rosado on Maddening, Rosado has 20% more speed growth and importantly more res. Other than that their growths are very similar but panette will gain more build. (10 vs 5%)

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I think Alfred's bunch all have a similar problem where they really need to immediately hit their growths in key stats to remain competitive with the power curve of later characters. Alfred's early game bulk is nice but if he doesn't hit his 45% speed growth early and often then he's going to start getting doubled very quickly which will cause his bulk advantage to evaporate.

Yunaka would get my vote for best character in the game. Thief is a very nice class to start out in as it gives her more move, promoted growths and 1-2 range. Her personal synergizes very well with the covert class bonus and the extra might knife forges get makes her snowball very quickly. Chloe would be my second pick but honestly none of the characters stand out too much compared to the rest. I think the discussion about which emblem ring is the best is more interesting.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Doing a second playthrough and trying to use different character has given me an appreciation for characters I severely overlooked. The supports of Zelkov and Citrinne stand out to me and make me appreciate their characters much more. The character writing if this game is superb and I can’t help but love most, if not all, of the cast.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I wanted to use Citrinne but she's feeding the worms now. Gonna try to force myself to use Fogado cause of the Radiant bow supremacy and he's sadly the best user for it. I wish we could get flying archers so Chloe could have it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

I’m kinda sad other people are so down on Alfred because I’ve found him really valuable on my Hard playthrough. He’s not one-rounding a lot, which to be fair a lot of people are able to do, but his high movement + durability gives him a lot more flexibility on where he can go compared to most of my squad.

Same.

He and Timerra serve the really valuable roles of tanky units that don't get doubled by everything under the sun (even if Timerra does that better). Now that enemies are getting strong enough that Louis and Jade can't necessarily shrug everything off, being slightly less tanky but with a better speed and res is proving real valuable.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

I wanted to use Citrinne but she's feeding the worms now. Gonna try to force myself to use Fogado cause of the Radiant bow supremacy and he's sadly the best user for it. I wish we could get flying archers so Chloe could have it.

Nothing sad about using Fogado. He's very good and has great supports.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Alfred ended up getting massively shafted in the Korean community cause someone posted the wrong growths for him in the wiki making him seem weaker than he really is.

Poor bastard

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Some of the Arena weapon picks are crazy. I just had Framme train and she faced Celine wielding a Steel blade.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

CharlestonJew posted:

Any tips for chapter 24? My first attempt didn't go so hot with the avalanche gimmick, and the enemies are bulky enough that I don't seem to be able to safely bumrush to the boss within 15 turns.

Granted it's late here so maybe my brain just isn't working well but next attempt I'm just going to try to get everyone in a single lane and see how that goes

Dump all your fliers into the bottom lane and have them front switch to the center.

Then use Corrin on a mystical ally or a dragon to clog up the transfer lanes with fire.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
It’s also worth noting that Obstruct staff obstacles will prevent your characters from being pushed by an avalanche, so Hortensia and Micaiah are handy for protecting characters who can’t get to cover in time. Corrin on a Dragon is essential, as they can both overwrite the fog, block off the choke points with fire to keep any one lane from being overwhelmed, and create more obstacles to minimize the effect of the avalanches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

boredsatellite posted:

Alfred ended up getting massively shafted in the Korean community cause someone posted the wrong growths for him in the wiki making him seem weaker than he really is.

Poor bastard

The Korean FE community??