Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That depends on the dialogue choices you make, conversations with The Smoker on the Balcony have some especially powerful "I'm latently bisexual and have no idea how to process the feelings of same sex attraction I'm currently experiencing" options.

The way he's so desperately clingy in that conversation always led me to think that The Smoker just reminded him of Dora more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah, not only is Harry not straight, Kim finds Harry's inability to realize that in a remotely productive way despite how glaringly obvious it is pretty hilarious. Up until he finds it annoying anyway.

And then Kim learns Harry as a gym teacher and suddenly his ignorance of homosexuality makes complete and total sense.

christmas boots posted:

The way he's so desperately clingy in that conversation always led me to think that The Smoker just reminded him of Dora more than anything else.

I dunno about that, and even if viewed from that angle thinking a guy is so hot that he reminds you of the most beautiful woman in the world is still pretty gay.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
No train of thought is too weird for Harry.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

https://twitter.com/thehandunseen/status/1621548262271377409

Some extremely fresh semi-lore just dropped.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
On esprit-de-corps, I thought that it's inherently not supernatural as the cop visions are essentially player facing; HDB never gains any infomation from them or reacts to them.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Vagabong posted:

On esprit-de-corps, I thought that it's inherently not supernatural as the cop visions are essentially player facing; HDB never gains any infomation from them or reacts to them.

That makes sense. Harry can tell Kim he’s been talking to the city all game, but he never tells him he sees his meathead coworkers going around doing stupid poo poo.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Why would he have to? What do you think Kim’s Espirt-de-Corps is?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

In those "meet the skills" press releases, the designers said-

So it's, according to this anyway, an explicitly literary device, instead of a diegetic skill/aspect like all the others. Harry isn't necessarily aware of this information, just the player is. I loving love that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Okay now I'm back to none of the skills being magic, Shivers is just a more fanciful presentation of the ol' Vimes Feet, and Inland Empire is, as established, tapping into Past Harry's brain.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Interfacing feels like it was meant to be more spooky, and has the occasional remnant, like touching the gearstick/oil on Kim's car.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Okay now I'm back to none of the skills being magic, Shivers is just a more fanciful presentation of the ol' Vimes Feet, and Inland Empire is, as established, tapping into Past Harry's brain.

Shivers is either magic or its lying with its very concrete predictions regarding the future.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've always told people Inland is the skill most likely not to be magic and shivers is the skill most likely to be magic. Esprit de Corps lies between. But saying that any of them for sure is or is not supernatural doesn't mesh with a purposefully obtuse setting.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Zonko_T.M. posted:

In those "meet the skills" press releases, the designers said-

So it's, according to this anyway, an explicitly literary device, instead of a diegetic skill/aspect like all the others. Harry isn't necessarily aware of this information, just the player is. I loving love that.

That might have changed during production (a lot of the blurbs of the site were apparently made much earlier on) because the other skills explicitly react to Esprit-de-Corps, which doesn’t make it a pure literary device anymore - though I do love the concept too anyway. There are some stories that skills do not react, iirc when how many people in a day had been put into the position of repose after death (they call it stations of breath in the game).

So esprit-de-corps imho remains paranatural by virtue of its execution. I think there could be a lot said about how this sort of meta can actually be understood as something beyond the mundane for the character through the intermedium of the player being given knowledge, but that should go for another post

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I'm still pissed you cannot feign death and/or do quadrupedal movement with Drama.

Though maybe lying about the skill all about lying and filtering falsehoods through theatrics was intended all along :iiam:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
There is only the Wasteland of Reality and the magic is how we choose to perceive it.

Also, Shivers saying to check under the floor boards is Harry deducing that someone would likely hide something there.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's the most obvious Vimes Feet of all of them.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

As if Vimes's thing isn't magical anyway

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I bet Cuno has esprit de corps off the charts

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

MariusLecter posted:

There is only the Wasteland of Reality and the magic is how we choose to perceive it.

Also, Shivers saying to check under the floor boards is Harry deducing that someone would likely hide something there.

How does he know the year the Coalition is going to nuke Revachol? Hell I'm pretty sure there's another bit where Shivers tells you exactly how many days are left, though it doesn't specify what it's talking about then. Then I think there's some listening to the wind thing if you fail the Feld mural check? I don't really remember that, or the overviews Shivers gives you in front of the Whirling and past the fishing village, but those also seemed like things Harry shouldn't have known. Also I think when Klaasje asks you to give her a station call Shivers chimes in about the return.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

everything shivers says in all caps voiced by the woman with the french accent is la revacholiere and 100% real qed

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

or it might all just be a product of harry's sick brain

unless we get more content from the og devs we'll never know for sure

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Staltran posted:

How does he know :words:

Kim with pog face: THE BEST drat DETECTIVE ON THE FORCE

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I Spoke to The City and it was real to me, damnit

I finished the game yesterday and it was incredible. The tribunal was the most tense thing I have experienced in a video game in I don't know how many years

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
There’s an Esprit de Corps vignette that ends with the two cops getting by confused about why they suddenly started talking about a completely irrelevant and obscure topic in the middle of something else.

The implication being then that Harrier’s link with them prompted them to talk about something they would never normally bring up, so that Harrier could learn something relevant to himself via remote viewing.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
There could be a level of guilt and dissociation that comes with understanding, alone, and together separately why Kim won't date us?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's the bad ending for Kim.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Kim looks busted we can do better

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
VOLITION [Medium: Success] - There's no need to pursue that line of thought.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Staltran posted:

How does he know the year the Coalition is going to nuke Revachol? Hell I'm pretty sure there's another bit where Shivers tells you exactly how many days are left, though it doesn't specify what it's talking about then. Then I think there's some listening to the wind thing if you fail the Feld mural check? I don't really remember that, or the overviews Shivers gives you in front of the Whirling and past the fishing village, but those also seemed like things Harry shouldn't have known. Also I think when Klaasje asks you to give her a station call Shivers chimes in about the return.

Harry’s been studying inframaterialism, it’s because of the plasm created from Harry telling everyone about the Gloaming.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Me: I should be shot about what I said about Kim.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://twitter.com/yournatemate/status/1620102059386355714

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

KORNOLOGY posted:

Me: I should be shot about what I said about Kim.

Lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It's the "boring" stat, but the more I think about the more Volition is my favorite.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

christmas boots posted:

It's the "boring" stat, but the more I think about the more Volition is my favorite.

The crownhead is a boring condom but it always has your back

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think it was volition's contribution to the communist thought exchange that won me over.

quote:

Rhetoric: Very well. I guess no one will build Communism then. Tell the working man it's over. Unless anyone has... objections?

Logic: No objections. It's mathematically impossible to achieve a classless society. Everyone knows this.

Savoir Faire: Let not failure ensnare you any further, beautiful pixie girl! Be an acrobat! A prancing faerie queen!

Electrochemistry: Did someone mention cocaine? Are we doing cocaine? No? I'm sure I heard someone say Cocainimism...

Rhetoric: Anyone? Anyone else? There's no one?

Volition: There's one.

You: What should I do?

Volition: You should build Communism — precisely *because* it's impossible.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

repiv posted:

sleeping on the island in most runs will get you the dora dream, they're talking about the other possible dream sequence which requires you to never be reminded of dora for the entire run

wait hold up. what is the alternate dream

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Iirc you just get a restful sleep and nothing happens which is actually kind of a nice payoff

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

christmas boots posted:

I don't think the other 24 insane voices would work half as well if you didn't have a straight man for them to bounce off. Plus he always has your back, never steers you wrong, and gets some absolute banger lines.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Tylana posted:

Interfacing feels like it was meant to be more spooky, and has the occasional remnant, like touching the gearstick/oil on Kim's car.

Motorics definitely got the shortest end of the stick in regards to depth of development... People have talked about improving the clothing system (I personally really liked the idea of having to pick your costume at the start of each day) but I think the game could stand to lose a couple of skills so development can focus on giving each of the remaining ones a truly unique voice.

It is funny how the amount of development of the skills seems to match their order: like first they wrote all the stuff for Intellect, so by the time they got to Motorics they were kind of running out of steam/time... (Even for the otherwise well developed Psyche, Suggestion feels pretty vestigial and could be merged into other skills with no real loss.)

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

christmas boots posted:

I think it was volition's contribution to the communist thought exchange that won me over.

That line made me think a good impression of JFK would work for the voice lines.