Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Aaaaaaand we are back to Hunters laptop.
Now his lawyers have asked the security division of the Justice Dept to probe anyone who has had access to his laptop and those who are disseminating misinformation about it, including Rudy, Tucker and all the others.
The Mac shop owner claims that he now cannot leave his house for fear of assassins.
Also, according to Fox and others, the Biden classified docs all revolve around the fact that Hunter had them and was selling them off.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/01/politics/hunter-biden-laptop-contents-letter/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well that settles it in my mind. Every accusation a confession, Don Jr. was selling off the classified docs daddy stole.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bird food bathtub posted:

Well that settles it in my mind. Every accusation a confession, Don Jr. was selling off the classified docs daddy stole.

To feed his coke addiction

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Honestly that tracks

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

OgNar posted:

The Mac shop owner claims that he now cannot leave his house for fear of assassins.

Publicly announcing that you go through your customer's files is bad, he may really have had death threats from his customers. It's all Fox News Cinematic Universe bullshit, but he is a complete douchebag.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Come on, you know there's no way that The Donald would trust his son to not gently caress up the deal. He'd have Jared do it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jagged Jim posted:

Come on, you know there's no way that The Donald would trust his son to not gently caress up the deal. He'd have Jared do it.

Yeah, Trump would order Kush to do it for him and Kush would gently caress it up because he's an idiot; DJTJ would do it purely of his own volition to and finally win his daddy's love and still loving it up because same reason.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

mllaneza posted:

Publicly announcing that you go through your customer's files is bad, he may really have had death threats from his customers. It's all Fox News Cinematic Universe bullshit, but he is a complete douchebag.

Yeah, this dude should never work on anyone's computer again. Unless it's CSAM you keep your mouth shut. If you're on the fence about it you still inmediately stop working on the machine while you contact your lawyer for next steps.

It's not your loving job, and you really don't want that to be your job. Pharmacists let themselves be used as a front line in the war on drugs and it put most of them out of a job because the only entities that can deal with the reporting and compliance are large conglomerates that pay $$$ to never pay for more than 1 less than the number of credentialed pharmacists they need. Community pharmacies vanished in the course of 3 decades.

Also, as an IT worker your job is to modify files on the client's machine. You have no protection from accusations that YOU planted it other than being subjected to discovery.

This person is a loving idiot. They are a crank. Nobody should be listening to a word they say. gently caress off into a hole old man.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 3, 2023

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I mean, the real answer is "It's cover for poo poo found during a DNC hack" in all likelyhood, if not just flat made up.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Eh if on the computer there's evidence of a powerful politician's family committing crimes on it I don't see what's wrong with blowing the whistle

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It's the right thing to do when you find that information but you could and should face consequences for how you found that information.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

VitalSigns posted:

Eh if on the computer there's evidence of a powerful politician's family committing crimes on it I don't see what's wrong with blowing the whistle

If the person reporting that that's what they found, should have absolutely NOT been looking through that hard drive under any circumstances, then that speaks to their credibility. Someone running a computer repair services who admits that they went digging through a customer's files the day after they dropped it off for repair has no credibility. The 90 day thing doesn't matter (and even then, even if you now own the laptop so you wipe the drive), this was "I got Biden's kid's laptop, let's see what's on it."

Nothing from that laptop is credible. A bad actor released it. Someone who is admittedly unethical is not a valid source. If they will break their own stated policies, and some state and federal laws, to get at the contents of the drive, you have to assume they would also have forged anything juicy that they say they found. They had the means, they had the opportunities, the motive is right-wing grift money, and if they're already outing themselves as duplicitous scum, you cannot believe anything off of that laptop.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

VitalSigns posted:

Do you have the same opinion if police illegally bust into someone's apartment without a warrant and find something that can incriminate them? Would you really trust the cops who did something like that to tell the truth about what they found? I mean, the exact same logic applies -- it's still evidence regardless of how it was found, so what's wrong with using it?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

More Fox lies and propaganda.
They specifically state in the video that Biden said to shoot it down and the Pentagon said no.
Yet their headline states Biden wont shoot down Chinese Spy balloon, simply to push the narrative that Biden works for the Chinese.
Jesse Watters is the newscaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lysMTWllsA8

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

OgNar posted:

They specifically state in the video that Biden said to shoot it down and the Pentagon said no.
Yet their headline states Biden wont shoot down Chinese Spy balloon, simply to push the narrative that Biden works for the Chinese.

I was expecting this the moment I first learned about the balloon.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There are amazingly specific procedures that need to be followed for digital storage to allow forensically clean data to be introduced and meet evidentiary standards. Dickhead repair guy followed precisely zero point dick of those procedures, and directly violated almost all of them.

Just from a digital forensics point of view every single last thing on that laptop is completely untrustworthy even if they could prove it was Hunter's. Which they can't because from the ground up every single possible interpretation of it is suspect at best, planted and tampered with being the most likely explanation.

It's right wing bullshit and lies.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mllaneza posted:

If the person reporting that that's what they found, should have absolutely NOT been looking through that hard drive under any circumstances, then that speaks to their credibility. Someone running a computer repair services who admits that they went digging through a customer's files the day after they dropped it off for repair has no credibility. The 90 day thing doesn't matter (and even then, even if you now own the laptop so you wipe the drive), this was "I got Biden's kid's laptop, let's see what's on it."

Nothing from that laptop is credible. A bad actor released it. Someone who is admittedly unethical is not a valid source. If they will break their own stated policies, and some state and federal laws, to get at the contents of the drive, you have to assume they would also have forged anything juicy that they say they found. They had the means, they had the opportunities, the motive is right-wing grift money, and if they're already outing themselves as duplicitous scum, you cannot believe anything off of that laptop.
Yeah this is a concern in general, but nobody is even arguing the pictures of Hunter or the emails are fake so in this case meh. This sounds like the same thing I heard about the DNC hack: I'm supposed to just not believe all the shady stuff it revealed about Hillary on principle because hacking is inherently dishonest even if the materials released are real. Meh gently caress that.

Generic American posted:

Do you have the same opinion if police illegally bust into someone's apartment without a warrant and find something that can incriminate them? Would you really trust the cops who did something like that to tell the truth about what they found? I mean, the exact same logic applies -- it's still evidence regardless of how it was found, so what's wrong with using it?
I don't think the police should do that no, but that doesn't mean the evidence they find if they do is fake, even if it does mean it's not admissible in court. The cops did a bunch of illegal poo poo to convict OJ so maybe it was right for him to get off on the murder charges, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong to think he was a murderer or that it was wrong to impose civil damages. But I don't think this is a good analogy anyway.

For example Edward Snowden abused his clearance to get and leak information about powerful people committing crimes, was that fake. Is he non-credible because it's wrong to steal from your employer? Is Chelsea Manning? Are the Pentagon Papers fake? The Panama Papers? The government would like me to think so I guess but I don't, do you? I don't think any of these things are the same as cops busting into people's homes to find/plant evidence.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

This sounds like the same thing I heard about the DNC hack: I'm supposed to just not believe all the shady stuff it revealed about Hillary on principle because hacking is inherently dishonest even if the materials released are real. Meh gently caress that.

Those files were seized by Russian FSB agents and doled out at their leisure over months. You don’t think they’re sophisticated enough to place false narratives into them or even just omit portions to alter the narrative?

Like, what? This is some next level poo poo here.

Do you also believe that Russia invaded Ukraine to remove a fascist regime that was genociding Russian language speakers?

Your other examples aren’t even the same thing because they didn’t route directly through the FSB.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

For example Edward Snowden abused his clearance to get and leak information about powerful people committing crimes, was that fake. Is he non-credible because it's wrong to steal from your employer? Is Chelsea Manning? Are the Pentagon Papers fake? The Panama Papers? The government would like me to think so I guess but I don't, do you? I don't think any of these things are the same as cops busting into people's homes to find/plant evidence.

Here of course I'd argue there's a whistleblower dynamic - the American people had a fourth amendment right to not be affected by what Snowden revealed, and it was a civilian blowing the whistle on an actual overreach of government over its own citizens and the worlds.

Converse in Hunter Biden's case the Russian state violated his privacy and then used stolen information in an attempt to influence the American democratic process. Whether the Hunter stuff is true is immaterial, and it likely is all legitimate, but I wouldn't want it to be used in court.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Murgos posted:

Those files were seized by Russian FSB agents and doled out at their leisure over months. You don’t think they’re sophisticated enough to place false narratives into them or even just omit portions to alter the narrative?
I think they are that sophisticated but that doesn't mean the emails were fake. They are also sophisticated enough to just release real poo poo that is so damaging because it's true.

I mean Clinton was asked about the secret content of her Goldman-Sachs speeches at an official debate and she didn't say "oh that transcript is invented and the email of my team highlighting how damaging it would be if anyone saw it is a Russian fake", she said it's fine because it's like when Abraham Lincoln privately worked to free the slaves. That poo poo was real. Even she didn't say it was fake.

Murgos posted:

Do you also believe that Russia invaded Ukraine to remove a fascist regime that was genociding Russian language speakers?
No. The idea that if I believe anything Russia leaked, even stuff admitted to be true like Hillary's speeches, I have to believe everything they say is a pants-on-head stupid argument.

Murgos posted:

Your other examples aren’t even the same thing because they didn’t route directly through the FSB.
Funny you say that because the Obama administration did actually use the fact that they trapped Snowden in Russia by blocking him from reaching asylum in South America to say that he was probably a Russian spy all along and therefore not to be trusted.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

There are amazingly specific procedures that need to be followed for digital storage to allow forensically clean data to be introduced and meet evidentiary standards. Dickhead repair guy followed precisely zero point dick of those procedures, and directly violated almost all of them.

Just from a digital forensics point of view every single last thing on that laptop is completely untrustworthy even if they could prove it was Hunter's. Which they can't because from the ground up every single possible interpretation of it is suspect at best, planted and tampered with being the most likely explanation.

It's right wing bullshit and lies.

That doesn’t seem to be an opinion that independent security firms and law enforcement agree with here. It’s definitely a more difficult case but luckily (for the investigators) it’s an Apple device, which means that it’s much, much more difficult to fake poo poo like, a device backup from when the laptop was still entirely under Biden’s possession and control, and that data can be viewed against what’s been released, as well as what’s actually on the physical laptop.

There’s lots of debate and theory that’s been discussed and documented in leaks of how spooks tend to treat leaked and stolen data nowadays and a lot of experts I know say the play as state actors tend to run it is to not tamper with data, but tamper with context, which is mediated and much more easily manipulated, and also doesn’t give the easy “document looks like this, but we found the originals and they don’t say that” out that people want. There’s enough poo poo hidden from people that just revealing actual truth (in a context you decide, giving you the ability to spin it) is considered the pro move, and what most infosec people I know and talk to think happened here.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Here of course I'd argue there's a whistleblower dynamic - the American people had a fourth amendment right to not be affected by what Snowden revealed, and it was a civilian blowing the whistle on an actual overreach of government over its own citizens and the worlds.

Converse in Hunter Biden's case the Russian state violated his privacy and then used stolen information in an attempt to influence the American democratic process. Whether the Hunter stuff is true is immaterial, and it likely is all legitimate, but I wouldn't want it to be used in court.
Whether something should be used in criminal court is a different argument from whether the public has an interest in knowing about it.

I agree we should not make an exception on civil rights if someone did something really bad because that will be abused against the powerless. Again, OJ. The cops planted evidence and acquitting him may have been the right thing to do but he still did it and we should still know and it was still right to find him responsible in civil court.

If a powerful politician's family is committing crimes we should know even if we shouldn't use that evidence in court. If China released videos of Don Trump Jr committing a bunch of crimes wouldn't that be in the public interest. Should we be like "oh no no everyone ignore that, respect Don Jr's privacy"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Whether something should be used in criminal court is a different argument from whether the public has an interest in knowing about it.

I agree we should not make an exception on civil rights if someone did something really bad because that will be abused against the powerless. Again, OJ. The cops planted evidence and acquitting him may have been the right thing to do but he still did it and we should still know and it was still right to find him responsible in civil court.

If a powerful politician's family is committing crimes we should know even if we shouldn't use that evidence in court. If China released videos of Don Trump Jr committing a bunch of crimes wouldn't that be in the public interest. Should we be like "oh no no everyone ignore that, respect Don Jr's privacy"

Yeah, this is why anything untoward in Hunter's laptop should be named and shamed, but mostly they just seem to post pictures of him doing drugs and banging sex workers?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, this is why anything untoward in Hunter's laptop should be named and shamed, but mostly they just seem to post pictures of him doing drugs and banging sex workers?

There was the video of him bullying a sex worker into saying he hadn’t abused her, which was less cool.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well that sounds like a crime, and he sucks.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Let's say you're repairing a laptop and you stumble over some incriminating evidence. Who should you call? Local law enforcement? The FBI?

This guy decided no, I'm going to call Rudy Giuiani.

And that's really all you need to know about this.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Presto posted:

Let's say you're repairing a laptop and you stumble over some incriminating evidence. Who should you call? Local law enforcement? The FBI?

More importantly, he had turned over the laptop to the FBI after copying the data for himself (which is unethical, if not illegal), which he then handed over to Giuliani during Trump Impeachment Trial 1, hence why almost every analyst has concluded data was manipulated after the fact.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 3, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Presto posted:

Bingo

I am willing to say that the iCloud stuff is real but it’s clear that someone hacked it and then they’re trying to claim the laptop is his and I don’t trust anything that comes from that

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

OgNar posted:

lol

Those balloons almost assuredly can't get more information on something than what a spy satellite (which China has) or digital/human spying can get.

My totally wild rear end guess is that it's a probing of US capabilities for the detection and interception of high altitude targets. It would then be in the best interest of the US to completely ignore them. But noooo some China hawk in the government got mad we weren't showing those Chinese what's what and went off to media to gripe about not getting to shoot them down.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
What's the point of having Jewish Space Lasers when you won't even use them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bibi's still mad about Obama's tenure and won't give Biden's admin the launch codes.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

The chain of custody in both Hillary's emails and Hunters Laptop is so befuddled and ambiguous that IMO any attempt to be, "Wow look at this horrible thing in here" should be absolutely taken with a huge dose of skepticism. To the point that your first instinct to be that without very good corroboration it's likely false.

"Well, that's certainly Hunter's penis" isn't actually a claim that the other items are true.

If nothing else, now that Hunter has sued Fox News and others for defamation we should get a much better light on what is true and what isn't.

Fox and the rest of the RWM media has repeatedly been shown in law suit after law suit to knowingly publish material they know to be false. So, why on earth should I trust ANY of this?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 3, 2023

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Angry_Ed posted:

More importantly, he had turned over the laptop to the FBI after copying the data for himself (which is unethical, if not illegal), which he then handed over to Giuliani during Trump Impeachment Trial 1, hence why almost every analyst has concluded data was manipulated after the fact.

Also don't forget Rudy basically outing the whole thing as a Kremlin psy-op that the Republicans were all in on assisting. Dude straight up posted a screenshot on twitter of him on the Russian telecommunication services on his phone (after all his other bullshit about the laptop got debunked) while saying he had received shocking new evidence that will definitely get those damned libs this time on twitter. I think he deleted the original post after people went "Holy poo poo you loving traitor." to the twitter post once people realized what telecommunication service he was connected to but the internet always remembers, to the point where you can still google articles about it to this day if you know what to look for.

Keep in mind that this means he was on a russian telecommunication service also used by their government so how he got data about the laptop from a legit source that doesn't involve him colluding with a hostile foreign power to gently caress with our elections would be an interestingly difficult story for the R's to spin. Especially since the icloud data was almost certainly hacked and put together to manufacture incriminating circumstances given what we know about it and all the attached stuff to do with it.

Which is probably why that whole thing has been carefully glossed over in favor of more slinging of accusations by the R's.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 3, 2023

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Murgos posted:

Fox and the rest of the RWM media has repeatedly been shown in law suit after law suit to knowingly publish material they know to be false. So, why on earth should I trust ANY of this?

It's impossible to overstate how badly people react when they're told to question a story, or indeed headline, that gives them beautiful endorphins. That's it, really. It works the same whether it's addictive anger stories like this, or feel-good stories about cute animals that turn out to be really fishy. The online industry to exploit it transcends politics.

The funny thing, as I like to tell the right-wing relatives to keep hunting for the smoking gun of corruption and coverup, is that the most likely reason it backfired this time was media organizations seeing what happened to Gawker. Thanks to none other than Peter Thiel.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Murgos posted:

The chain of custody in both Hillary's emails and Hunters Laptop is so befuddled and ambiguous that IMO any attempt to be, "Wow look at this horrible thing in here" should be absolutely taken with a huge dose of skepticism. To the point that your first instinct to be that without very good corroboration it's likely false.
Hillary's emails were real. She admitted the most damning stuff was true on national TV and even the rest of it, they could have easily exposed any fakes by providing the originals and they never did. If I'm not mistaken Hillary herself never even tried to say they were fake, that all came from rando Hillaryites coming up with it from nothing.

Same with the photos and videos of Hunter, they aren't even saying they're deepfakes afaik, some people have suggested they came from a hack and the magic laptop was a prop to hide the illegal way they were obtained. The emails could be fake I guess but they seem more like what selec said, real emails that are being released selectively and possibly the context being spun to fit a narrative ("the Big Guy" must be Biden getting a cut of Ukraine's military aid!)

Murgos posted:

If nothing else, now that Hunter has sued Fox News and others for defamation we should get a much better light on what is true and what isn't.

You don't have to trust any of it. My original comment was just that if a laptop repair guy finds real evidence of a powerful politician's family committing crimes of course it's right and good for him to leak it.

If it's fake evidence and he made it up, well doing that is bad obviously.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
What exactly is even actionable from the laptop? There’s no evidence of crimes that I’ve seen from the vids that have been released.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

As long as they can keep implying there are crimes, no crimes ever really need to exist.
Because their people really need very little to fly into a rage and no amount of truth can change that.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

I agree with this. What damning evidence of crimes has been revealed that justifies it?

OgNar posted:

As long as they can keep implying there are crimes, no crimes ever really need to exist.
Because their people really need very little to fly into a rage and no amount of truth can change that.

Or post stuff like this:

selec posted:

There was the video of him bullying a sex worker into saying he hadn’t abused her, which was less cool.

Do you have a source for this?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Do you have a source for this?
I'm on my phone so ehh but there is definitely a video where the guy (purported to be Hunter and the voice is similar enough) taking the video is trying to get a woman to say he didn't abuse her. The provenance? Who can say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

C2C - 2.0 posted:

What exactly is even actionable from the laptop? There’s no evidence of crimes that I’ve seen from the vids that have been released.

If there was any real accusation, no one would be doing the "I dare you to eat this bug!" thing with expecting Biden (not even Hunter but for some reason Joe) to do a file-by-file confirm or deny of the whole thing. That's all you need to understand both the situation and the strategy.