Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The most recent episodes of Velma really highlight what the main problem of the show: The characters are mean and terrible in incredibly unfunny ways.

I agree, and it wasn't until I watched some videos on Smiling Friends that I realized it. There's a lot of shows that use being an rear end in a top hat as a shortcut for character development, and after a while it stops being funny. It's like trying to watch a movie with someone that went to film school, and all they do is point out the director's mistakes. Just tiring to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I think that’s the first time in recorded history “Drawn Together” and “Gravity Falls” have been used in such close proximity.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
There's a difference between a show having mean characters and the show's voice itself being mean.

When it feels like the worldview of that show's universe is inherently a mean-spirited place where being awful is actually a good thing, and the shittiest person is always correct about their assumptions, it doesn't end up being fun to watch.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Neeksy posted:

When it feels like the worldview of that show's universe is inherently a mean-spirited place where being awful is actually a good thing, and the shittiest person is always correct about their assumptions, it doesn't end up being fun to watch.

Velma gets called out all the time though? And she's frequently dumb and wrong, or crosses moral lines like. The show makes an effort to show exactly why she's unpopular, it's not subtle about this.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Neeksy posted:

There's a difference between a show having mean characters and the show's voice itself being mean.

This is a frequent problem with post-2000s animation tbh. Maybe a GenX thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Warbird posted:

I think that’s the first time in recorded history “Drawn Together” and “Gravity Falls” have been used in such close proximity.

What about this other unlikely crossover

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/490315869684498432?s=20&t=J4Mh1OdvHiUTEfB7CiOgJA

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Please do not doxx me.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Velma gets called out all the time though? And she's frequently dumb and wrong, or crosses moral lines like. The show makes an effort to show exactly why she's unpopular, it's not subtle about this.

And yet it sounds like the show doesn't seem to offer anything about her for the viewers to at least endear her to them in some way like how It's Always Sunny seems to do with its main cast.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I feel like several shows are trying to capture the Always Sunny magic of having characters that are kind of assholes. Ironically I think the show that does it best isn't an adult one but Teen Titans Go, a show for kids but following the Animaniacs model of having a ton of jokes that will fly over their heads and adults will laugh at.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's true, and it's good the show does that, but Velma is terrible so frequently and gets called so often that at a certain point I kinda just wish that instead of having the show acknowledge that she sucks she would just stop sucking for a few seconds.

And it's not just Velma, every character is written this way. They're all horrible, have their horribleness pointed out, and then just keep being horrible.

TwoPair posted:

I feel like several shows are trying to capture the Always Sunny magic of having characters that are kind of assholes. Ironically I think the show that does it best isn't an adult one but Teen Titans Go, a show for kids but following the Animaniacs model of having a ton of jokes that will fly over their heads and adults will laugh at.

"It's always sunny in Philadelphia but for kids" seems like a terrible and impossible idea, but by God Teen Titians Go made it happen.

Writing rear end in a top hat characters in a way that they're still fun to watch is harder to pull off than a lot of writers seem to think it is.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

TTGo also knows how to make meta-humor funny as opposed to "doesn't it suck when shows do this thing we're doing?" over and over and over and over.

From what I've seen of it, Velma's characterization is a carbon-copy Daria without the wit or morality that actually made her lines land with any impact.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The end of the Teen Titans Go movie has Robin coming right up to the screen and shouting "HEY KIDS! ASK YOUR PARENTS WHERE BABIES COME FROM" so TTG rules

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
TTG's characters also have actually likable characteristics amongst their annoying ones. Except Robin. He's just an annoying dweeb, but that helps to allow the other characters to bounce off of him in a good way and even allow them to seem normal in comparison.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The episode where the Titans became slumlords could be lifted wholesale into Always Sunny and the only change you'd need is to make it Philly instead of vaguely not Seattle.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

TTGO is annoying and bad

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

TwoPair posted:

Both teen titans go and always Sunny also almost always feature the characters getting their comeuppance or having things turn out for the worst as a direct result of them being assholes which is necessary for comedies with unlikeable/morally bad protagonists.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
(14 year old boy in 2017 who watches too much YouTube voice)

Mantis42 posted:

TTGO is annoying and bad

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

My posting is annoying and bad

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Beast Boy experiencing the highs and lows of capitalism through the use of bees sure was an episode. Be(e) honest, did you hate Titans Go because it was dumb, or because Cartoon Network scheduled 8 hours of the show at a time? I loved OK K.O. and the other shows CN had running at the time, but they were just bookended by constant TTG marathons.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
My hate for it was how it was just plastered for 8 hours, but then I watched the movie and i"m like.. wow.. they are actually really drat funny.

Also watching old TTG.. yeah uh.. it is rough around the edges.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I liked Teen Titans Go, but I did fall behind on it and haven't watched it for a while. The show isn't bad, but it was oversaturated, and I understand being tired of it from that angle. Cartoon Network was making some bad scheduling decisions. I also understand the fans of the original Teen Titans being angry at the property being revived as apparently a less mature cartoon for children, since the former show got big into angsty teen things that seemingly it would be a step back from, but I have less sympathy for those people. Especially since there's so much for adults in TTG, just not for people who are anxious over proving their adulthood with like sex and blood and swearing maturity content. Jokes about doing your taxes, that kind of adult. The DC Nation shorts that gave birth to Teen Titans Go were much more kiddy, without the edge that TTG developed.

I also checked out some of Thundercats Roar recently, and it's alright, and it's a shame that it ended up getting mostly buried from outrage against it. I think that might also be a bit of a failure in how the show presented itself, since the main strength of the show, and why it looked kinda ugly was because of how much focus they were going to put on the animation, and all the outrage was over a bunch of still pictures.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

YAY!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SlothfulCobra posted:

I also checked out some of Thundercats Roar recently, and it's alright, and it's a shame that it ended up getting mostly buried from outrage against it. I think that might also be a bit of a failure in how the show presented itself, since the main strength of the show, and why it looked kinda ugly was because of how much focus they were going to put on the animation, and all the outrage was over a bunch of still pictures.

The fight scene in "Panthro Plagiarized" is still one of the best pieces of animation I've ever seen. I literally did an out-load "whoa" from my place on the elliptical machine.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm stunned it's getting a season 2. Not because of it being bad or anything but just because WBD has been on such a kill streak recently I'm amazed anything is getting a season 2.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm sorry but if you don't agree that this

is the only good Snarf, you are beyond help.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Waffle! posted:

Beast Boy experiencing the highs and lows of capitalism through the use of bees sure was an episode. Be(e) honest, did you hate Titans Go because it was dumb, or because Cartoon Network scheduled 8 hours of the show at a time? I loved OK K.O. and the other shows CN had running at the time, but they were just bookended by constant TTG marathons.

There's also "who's laughing now" the episode where beast boy grows some armpit hair and then the plot suddenly turns into a bizarre yet surprisingly in-depth and honest satire of the current state of the American college education system (especially in regards to how horrible and destructive student loans are).

"That's what you get for convincing people to spent thousands of dollars just to learn things they could figure out for free! Leave them with an amount of debt and a useless piece of paper that reads "Diploma"! They're pedaling a dream that doesn't exist anymore!"

Teen Titians Go is dumb humor written in really smart ways.

Das Boo posted:

I'm sorry but if you don't agree that this

is the only good Snarf, you are beyond help.

ThunderCats Roar was cancelled too soon, it was weird and fun.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 5, 2023

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

E: no

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 5, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

The fight scene in "Panthro Plagiarized" is still one of the best pieces of animation I've ever seen. I literally did an out-load "whoa" from my place on the elliptical machine.

Roar had great animation but "something something CalArts" or whatever.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I didn't even know that show had come out. I just remember the initial "controversy" and then nothing until I saw people posting about it in this thread this week. Was it one of those things where they stuck it in a really awful time slot and then never tried to promote it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhonne posted:

I didn't even know that show had come out. I just remember the initial "controversy" and then nothing until I saw people posting about it in this thread this week. Was it one of those things where they stuck it in a really awful time slot and then never tried to promote it?

A combination of that and people dumping on it when it debuted. It felt like almost everybody buried it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

There's also "who's laughing now" the episode where beast boy grows some armpit hair and then the plot suddenly turns into a bizarre yet surprisingly in-depth and honest satire of the current state of the American college education system (especially in regards to how horrible and destructive student loans are).

"That's what you get for convincing people to spent thousands of dollars just to learn things they could figure out for free! Leave them with an amount of debt and a useless piece of paper that reads "Diploma"! They're pedaling a dream that doesn't exist anymore!"

Teen Titians Go is dumb humor written in really smart ways.

ThunderCats Roar was cancelled too soon, it was weird and fun.

The recycling episode where it ends by zooming out past their recycled paradise to show the world hosed up by the waste of big companies.

Now that's some top quality cynicism.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Electric Phantasm posted:

The recycling episode where it ends by zooming out past their recycled paradise to show the world hosed up by the waste of big companies.

Now that's some top quality cynicism.

It’s not even really cynicism so much as an objectively correct point of “the emphasis on personal recycling responsibility is and always has been the actual primary drivers of pollution deflecting from their culpability in a palatable-to-Protestants-packaging”.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Teen Titans Go is great and way better than it has any right to be and I'll keep hyping it up and trying to get people to watch it and oh the De La Soul episode is kind of incredible and wonderful.

https://slate.com/culture/2021/02/de-la-soul-teen-titans-go-streaming-rights-tommy-boy.html

Warbird
May 23, 2012

”Slate” posted:

Lil Yachty voiced Green Lantern in the show’s spinoff movie
Motherfucking what?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Warbird posted:

Motherfucking what?

Not only that but he did a remix of the rap the Titans perform to open the movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBQkkotcEME

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Listen, Teen Titans Go is loving wild.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

It's American Dad for kids. It rules.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Warbird posted:

Motherfucking what?

Lol, the movie ends with Robin going back in time and murdering Bruce's parents in Crime Alley.

Also recommend the episode where the Titans try to create an animated show and learn about the bullshit it takes to actually get one on the air nowadays (and how even if it is successful the creator is not seeing any of that money.)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

That's not the end, that's like the halfway point of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Teen Titans Go movie is so great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4fdm5gdvnE