Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
My Three phone contract is running out soon. I currently pay 17 quid a month for unlimited calling, texting, and a lot of data (can’t remember how much but I e only exceeded my limit a couple of times over two years). They’ve been fine, but I’m wondering if there’s a better deal out there. I’m in a small town in Scotland fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1621822657149734917?t=5HqYcoDomTOQYPK8F3azzA&s=19

Lol what

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The sentiment behind it was good but the song was absolute dogshit

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

smellmycheese posted:

It really was. PiL did some great tunes over the years but John just needs to stick to moaning about the kids & selling butter at this point

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Drinkslinger posted:

Jon Holmes, eh? I seem to remember him getting fired from Virgin Radio in like 2001 for getting a nine-year-old girl to say the phrase "soapy tit wank" live on air

Sounds like a winner

quote:

He then moved to XFM London "for approximately an hour" before being fired for going to the toilet on air in fellow presenter Dermot O'Leary's desk drawer. Subsequently, the late-night Jon Holmes show on Virgin Radio ran from 2001 to 2002, but Holmes was fired after several controversial stunts. Virgin was fined a record £75,000 for Holmes's feature "Swearing Radio Hangman for the Under-12s", in which he persuaded a nine-year-old girl to spell out and then repeat the phrase "soapy tit wank". Unrepentant, Holmes's own website boasts: "Jon still holds the record for 'largest fine ever for taste and decency offences in British broadcasting'. Sadly he didn’t get a certificate or anything."

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

bessantj posted:

Sounds like a winner

I knew I recognised the name, he was on The Now Show. God that was a pish programme.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I knew I recognised the name, he was on The Now Show. God that was a pish programme.

Really? I liked it a lot, listened to it as i drove into work on Friday evenings. :shrug:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

PREVENT!
PUNISH!
PROTECT!

https://twitter.com/tldrnewsuk/status/1621646414353760258?s=46&t=IM9CzYbiDLyEEhfnYreHBw

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Protect being last on the list is pretty lol

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Christ almighty Keith's a tedious oval office, isn't he?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

kingturnip posted:

Christ almighty Keith's a tedious oval office, isn't he?

Punish me Big Wet Keithy

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Just Another Lurker posted:

Really? I liked it a lot, listened to it as i drove into work on Friday evenings. :shrug:

It was just very liberal. Punt & Dennis were annoying, they had the guy wot does political songs, Mitch someone or other who was more melty than cheese toastie, but you'd occasionally get someone like Mark Steele on IIRC & was alright.

I listened because I liked satire & felt an obligation (bit like HIGNFY which I kept watching long after it had stopped being much more than Hislop being smug) but at the same time I'm so glad Twitter came along & served the same purpose while actually being funny to me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just realized that the Trilateral Commission logo reminds me a lot of the SCP Foundation.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

https://twitter.com/PollingReportUK/status/1621603223860551682?t=DWS7P3pyWlDlHSDrgdowaw&s=19

Guess who just knocked on my door lol

(I muttered something and closed the door because I'm a dumb goon but it's nice to know she's clearly making GBS threads herself. Sadly she's going be replaced by a complete bellend, our previous MP)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

#LibDemFightback

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tough on the causes of crime? Alright Starmer going full on to eliminate poverty! That's what will happen right? I mean it's a great way to 'PREVENT!' so he has to doesn't he?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Punk, yeah.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

bessantj posted:

Tough on the causes of crime? Alright Starmer going full on to eliminate poverty! That's what will happen right? I mean it's a great way to 'PREVENT!' so he has to doesn't he?

https://twitter.com/TheNewsAgents/status/1621546095305232384?t=4CI1lNnu7tBsybZFgUDe4Q&s=19

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

So glad this dangerous lunatic was stopped in his tracks

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Can't believe Corbyn would have just bought the homeless vote with giant handouts :mad:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Barry Foster posted:

I overheard him in nandos saying he would ship the homeless to Israel and give them other people's houses, read my Guardian column for more info.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Be pure! Be vigilant! Behave!

Isn't going on about his time as DPP just going to open him straight up to "you mean when you worked for the Tories", "when you tried to let the Met get away with killing a random civilian" and "BUT JIMMY SAVILE!"?

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 4, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Payndz posted:

Be pure! Be vigilant! Behave!

Isn't going on about his time as DPP just going to open him straight up to "you mean when you worked for the Tories", "when you tried to let the Met get away with killing a random civilian" and "BUT JIMMY SAVILE!"?

Only if the people allowed to ask him questions care about such things.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

bessantj posted:

He means Prevent like the counter terrorism unit that bullies Muslim children.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sinky posted:

I overheard him in nandos saying he would ship the homeless to Israel and give them other people's houses, read my Guardian column for more info.

Woah, someone kicking people out of their houses and moving someone else in, in the Levant? Impossible to imagine this happening

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Payndz posted:

Yep! Labour are loving stupid.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

mfcrocker posted:

Yep! Labour are loving stupid.

There's a huge cost of living crisis. The current government are directly linked to bringing about an economic catastrophe, and their flagship brexit policy is increasingly less likely to bring out the true believers. Sleaze and corruption scandals haunt the government, and the multimillionaire in charge.

Time for the opposition to really put the campaigning focus on "yob culture". With a catchy 3 word slogan!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

MeinPanzer posted:

My Three phone contract is running out soon. I currently pay 17 quid a month for unlimited calling, texting, and a lot of data (can’t remember how much but I e only exceeded my limit a couple of times over two years). They’ve been fine, but I’m wondering if there’s a better deal out there. I’m in a small town in Scotland fyi.

Call/internet chat them. I wasn't happy with how much I was paying on Three and talked to some random support dude via the internet and now I'm paying £7 a month for 4GB data and unlimited calls/texts.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
thangy debbs

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Undead Hippo posted:

There's a huge cost of living crisis. The current government are directly linked to bringing about an economic catastrophe, and their flagship brexit policy is increasingly less likely to bring out the true believers. Sleaze and corruption scandals haunt the government, and the multimillionaire in charge.

Time for the opposition to really put the campaigning focus on "yob culture". With a catchy 3 word slogan!

Yeah, but if Labour talk about any of those things, people might develop an expectation that Labour will do anything to address those issues.
Can't fail the people if you don't promise them anything :science:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Undead Hippo posted:

I mean, yeah, all of the above is going to create unprecedented civil unrest that Westminster's shareholders need to be reassured they'll be protected from by the next CEO of UK PLC. Starmer understands his job description completely.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Undead Hippo posted:

There’s a Doctor Who quote that applies:

Every time the TARDIS materializes in a new location, within the first nanosecond of landing, it analyzes its surroundings, calculates a twelve-dimensional data map of everything within a thousand mile radius, and determines which outer shell would blend in best with the environment. And then it disguises itself as a police telephone box from 1963.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Given his naive attitude towards russia in the current war in Ukraine i would say yes. :colbert:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Just Another Lurker posted:

Given his naive attitude towards russia in the current war in Ukraine i would say yes. :colbert:

What would Corbyn do differently aside from rhetoric? And why is that worth the immiseration of the British working class, the deporting of migrants and everything else the Tories have done?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I think it's good that people who have rightly and consistently criticised the British arms manufacturers and British military including its membership of NATO continue to do so.

Depending on how much influence Johnson had over Zelensky and how serious the negotiations were at that point there could have been peace in Ukraine by now if Corbyn was Prime Minister.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

MeinPanzer posted:

If you want SIM only stuff, both my kids are with Lebara for a 2 or 3 quid a month, unlimited text and calls and x amount of giggybites and it's always worked well for them

Tarnop posted:

I'll take a post about cool things your car does. I'll never own one so I'll live vicariously through your gadgets

I only got it yesterday and haven't driven it much to figure stuff out yet, but this is the stuff I have found so far the hard way

Start out in a dark car park, start to turn out and the headlights swing around in that direction indicated so I can see it's clear easily

Get going down the motorway and when a bmw comes up behind with fullbeam headlights going, the rearview mirror automatically dims it right down so I'm not squinting while swearing at them

When that said same prick on wheels overtakes, sensors tell me there's someone coming up in my blindspot with an indicator light on the relevant mirror and if I was to try and indicate/turn into that threat, the alert would become a lot more obvious/noisy

I roll up behind some traffic and my own headlights tip down to avoid blinding the car in front and the headlights are just automatically on when needed

When someone walks out on the car in front of me at a pedestrian crossing, the same front sensors notice that car braking hard as a threat and assists my own braking efforts

Automatic handbrake does its own thing, and it just fuckin' works- I thought I might hate it but it just does its thing and I have only reached for the non existent handbrake instinctively once or twice

Same thing with the lane assist, it doesn't interfere but more provides a slight nudge/feel if it notices me drifting out of line, almost like when the tyres find the natural rut in the road

Engine stops when I'm stopped in traffic and out of gear and starts up again seamlessly before I finish shifting it back into first

Get to the shops and it's a cold day so I hit a button and it keeps the heating system running on low to utilise the excess heat in the loop and keep the car toasty inside and it looks like the aircon will work the same way in summer

There's a whole host of other little touches like pop out door edge guards to prevent car park door damage and umbrellas in the front doors and an ice scraper in the fuel flap and all the entertainment stuff is top notch too and there's other poo poo I haven't tried like waggling my foot under the boot to open it automatically

A lot of this might be old hat to some folks but my last car was 19/20 years old and did not do any of this cool poo poo

OwlFancier posted:

The new hire car I got off my insurance the other day was mostly "try to kill you with self driving features" and "horrifyingly insulate you from the outside in a manner seemingly intended to produce dissociative episodes while driivng"

Do not recommend.

E: oh and gob off at you if you don't change gears when it feels like you should

That's how the hyundai santa fe I tried felt, like I was using an old PC game controller steering wheel that gave no feedback about the road, and it kept beeping at me for everything while rolling around corners

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

What would Corbyn do differently aside from rhetoric? And why is that worth the immiseration of the British working class, the deporting of migrants and everything else the Tories have done?

I imagine he would probably be unwilling to supply armaments to the Ukrainian forces, which may not matter much in the long run but it would have some material effect.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Looking forward to Kiers first speech outside Number 10: no more rough sleeping because it will be hyper-illegal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the other hand he might have made a more concerted effort to accept refugees and get them decent living conditions so whether the difference would have been overall good or bad is harder to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

namesake posted:

I think it's good that people who have rightly and consistently criticised the British arms manufacturers and British military including its membership of NATO continue to do so.

Depending on how much influence Johnson had over Zelensky and how serious the negotiations were at that point there could have been peace in Ukraine by now if Corbyn was Prime Minister.

If by peace you mean surrender of at least a quarter of its territory and the dismantling of its democratically elected government and replacement by a Russian approved one. Then sure, 'peace'.