Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Blank, Vegeta, Plusse, Goku?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It's surprise call up Replica, in the middle of her combo RotY and MVP season as the Tigers (also led by allstars Reggie Blank, Tim McCracken, and Sir Plusse) take the league by storm

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fat Doug showing up like Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughn to the All Star game to finish the inning.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

JosefStalinator posted:

3 correct, 2 incorrect between the two of you - and one new mystery All-Star!
Considering Plusse's performance in the playoffs, I think he's pretty much guaranteed to be in there...

I'm gonna be different and guess Plusse, Kalan, McCracken, and Blank. Vegeta, despite his skill, didn't manage an All-Star performance in the playoffs, which probably hurts his chances.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
2027 MLB Season

Last season was an absolute ride, as three goons came tantalizingly close to winning the first goon ring. We can't avoid it forever, and hopefully Detroit remains competitive this year.

The biggest change going into this season is our new teams' relocations. Respecting the goonocracy results, Commissioner Rob Manfred has conformed to goon demands and approved the relocation of the Portland Sultans and Austin Kings to Mexico City and Montreal respectively.

The expos are recreated first, and moved to the NL East Division, their old home, and put in Olympic Stadium. They are in dire need of a new stadium though...

With Krillin as their top prospect, they hope to reinvigorate Quebec baseball, and avenge the loss of their beautiful franchise.

The Mexico City Quetzalcoatls are brand new, avenging nothing beyond Mexico's neglect by MLB. Their logo is an Aztec warrior simply because I don't have a better logo - anyone is free to submit any ideas or logos of their own for either team, and I'll gladly take them.

There's no goons on Mexico City yet - but I did adapt their stadium...

Look at them park factors :eyepop:. 25%+ more dingers than average, even more than Coors field in Denver. We love to see it. For those not in the know - this is because Mexico City is at an altitude of over 7,000 feet, well above Denver. High altitude means thinner air, and baseballs fly further (among other factors). Should be a paradise for power hitters.

Shortly after taking the screenshot I also moved Mexico City to the AL Central, to reflect their geographic location. This also means our Detroit goons will be making some visits there!

Now, let's see what 2027 has in store for our goons.

One piece of information escaped my eyes - Krillin was not alone in Austin, for he was briefly joined by Cadoc Faughn. Unfortunately Cadoc continued to struggle, and was released by the Kings in October, and retired the same day.

:rip: Cadoc, you did your best. You've been made into a coach!

Spring training marks the end of the offseason, where some teams have made big moves to try and win in 2027. The rock bottom Expos are the biggest winners in free agency, signing a whopping 12 WAR worth of new players (and losing a few as well). Hopefully Krillin will be called up to a more competitive team.

Mexico City actually loses 5 WAR, despite winning just 60 games last season. They are not going to be good any time soon. They traded away what talent they had for prospects.

They're still projected to do better than last season, at least. The Tigers not as much - but I have faith in our goons.

Spring training sees rosters expand, and about half of all goons brought up to the MLB. Let's see how many stay there come opening day.

Oof. The number of goons in the MLB come opening day is definitely larger than 2026, but there's a LOT of goons waiting in AA and AAA for their promotions. They will come.

Beauregard Bitchface starts the season on the DL after really screwing up his ankle, sidelining him for 3 weeks. In fact, he's starting to wrack up quite an injury history:

Biggus Dickus remains unsigned, but has 5 months of recovery from Tommy John surgery left.

We have no amateur draft to look forward to, so we can focus more on how our goons are doing as more of them are getting time in the majors.

Reggie Blank gets off to an amazing start in 2027, batting an impressive .366 with 7 Home Runs in the first month and a half of the season.

The game knows.

I also totally missed something VERY important about Reggie Blank...

The drat game never bothered to notify me, but :siren:REGGIE BLANK WAS SELECTED AS AN ALL STAR IN 2026! :siren:

This is a HUGE accomplishment, especially for a Rookie! He's the first goon to win such an honor, and I bet he repeats it in 2027 as well.

AJ Kalan also starts out 2027 on a hot streak, culminating in a 5 hit game against the braves. Kalan his a respectable .291 last season but has started on fire, hitting .326 in '27, already surpassing his 2026 WAR total in May.

:negative:

Tragedy strikes! Reggie Blank suffers a nasty injury, knocking him out for an entire month from a separated shoulder. Hopefully he gets better soon, and can play in the All-Star game.

Mikhail Tukhachevsky suffers an even worse injury, breaking his hand in rage. Let's hope he recovers well and doesn't take a hit to his ratings.

Bob Glass is making a habit of vibing out with fans, tailgating outside Citi Field and feeding off the well known positivity of Mets fans. This also means he's been called up to the MLB, though he's off to a slow start thusfar.

Prince Vegeta got off to an awful start in 2027, but appears to be heating up. He had something like a 4.70 ERA in April, but crushed it through May and June to lower his ERA to 4.06. He only seems to be getting better with time.

DeGrom is also leading the NL with an absurd 1.84 ERA.

Real life players are starting to become aged veterans now - Watson is out of commission for 15 months from a UCL injury, so Belt and DeGrom are effectively the oldest active players in the MLB.

Dee and Dowd are making cases for their promotions, as goons continue to thrive in the minors.

The All-Star Game is approaching, and what would you know, some goons are named All-Stars for 2027!

Congratulations to Blank, Borsgaard, Kalan, and Saito! All four are named to the 2027 All-Star game!

Only Blank is named as a starter, but we definitely have enough goons to merit paying attention to the game itself. I'll also take a peek at their stats at the halfway point to see how they earned such honors.

The All-Star game ends in a 9-7 victory for the National League, as the AL blows up in the 7th inning.

Blank, being the stud that he is, hits a leadoff home run off Jacob DeGrom to start the game and give the AL the early lead. Snorp, Kalan, and Saito all strike out at least once in the game, though Saito would proceed to score a run after a walk.

Now, let's see how our goons have done at the halfway point of the 2027 season:

Yet more goons have tasted the majors, and more are starting every day. Out of curiosity, I checked to see why Splodey has so few plate appearances - he is actually not on the bench, but is currently the Phillies every day DH, so hopefully his usage goes up. It looks like he actually got demoted and promoted twice already this season, maybe in response to some injuries. Either way, Splodey will have more to look forward to in the second half the season.

AJ Kalan is the standout in playing time among the goons, and ties Reggie Blank in WAR for the season so far. This of course shows that Blank has overall played a bit better, but in fewer games, edging out Kalan in OPS+. I suspect Kalan's defense is giving him a bit of a boost as well, as I think this includes both fielding and offensive WAR (OOTP isn't clear on this here).

However one surprise here is Snorp Borsgaard, who has 74 RBI's on the rangers. The Rangers are on fire this season and it's likely as much Snorp's talent as it is that he has guys on base ahead of him constantly, but that's still an impressive number. That's a 130 RBI pace.

We can't sleep on Saito either, who is actually on par with all the All-Stars in OPS+, and is only behind Snorp in dingers at 18. The Reds are getting value from him.

Adam Malysz deserves mention as once again silently doing great, but not amazing. I wonder if that's going to be his thing.

The player I'm most worried about here is Carl Tubbs, who has had an awful season. A 67 OPS+ ain't gonna cut it. McCracken also is struggling, though not as much, and at least puts up a positive WAR.

Everyone else is either doing alright, or has too low a sample to warrant notice yet.

On the pitching side of things, Sir Plusse and Prince Vegeta continue to match each other in different ways. Both have nearly identical usage, starting roughly the same number of games, with Vegeta again edging out Plusse on most of the stats. Despite this, Plusse is actually beating Vegeta in FIP - so it will be interesting to see if the two continue their neck and neck numbers into the end of the season.

Dougless, however, is NOT doing well at all. A 6.88 ERA (and worse FIP) is not a great sign. Admittedly he has started only 3 games and has had few appearances, so maybe it's just a small sample.

We actually care about the standings now, as our goons compete for rings. The Tigers are doing well albeit not in first place, with the Phillies, Cubs, Rangers, and Orioles all being competitive. There's still still time, but it's looking very likely there will be some goons in the playoffs.

I'd also like to note that Snorp shows up on the big board as the league leader in RBI's at the half!

As does Kalan in the NL, with SB's and Average.

I went to check on Goku, and for whatever reason he still has only faced Vegeta twice. This despite the fact that the Guardians and White Sox have definitely played each other a bunch, and Goku is starting every day. Perhaps some cowardice on the part of Kakarot?

Blank continues to wreck.

My much maligned player Stalin actually did something, I guess. He looked dead to rights at one point, so maybe he'll have a late renaissance.

Dougless, who has been struggling all season, fucks up his hamstring and misses 2-3 weeks. Let's hope some time off and some rest can help him turn this season around.

Biggus Dickus is officially healthy again, but remains unsigned. I am hopeful this will change, but we'll see.

Rex Sisters suffers a nasty injury, straining his artificially extended forearms. He's been mired in the minors for a while, so let's hope another round of reconstructive surgery can give him the arm length he needs to be competitive.

Good Grief! Charlie Brown wins an award for pitching down in the minors. I can't wait for him to linger just out of the reach of the MLB over and over again.

Correa is the highest paid player in 2027 - I guess his knee or ankle or whatever is fine.

2027 Final Standings

The regular season ends, and a number of goons stand poised to compete in the playoffs.

Phillies - Kalan, Face
Detroit - Blank, McCracken, Plusse
Cubs - Dougless
Reds - Saito
Dodgers - Charlie Brown :siren:
Astros - Malysz

Despite Snorp's best efforts, the Rangers fall tantalizingly close but fail to make the playoffs. Quite the collapse :(.

And look at good old Charlie Brown! He made it to the majors just before the end of the season, and is a reliever for the impressive Dodgers! Good on ya Charlie!

I'd also like to note that the goon-reconstructed Expos both won 69 games (nice), but also did better than the Nationals. Karmic revenge for stealing their franchise. Mexico City also improved, doing better than the Nationals.

Let's see if any goons can win a ring!

:siren: THE TIGERS DID IT, THEY WIN AND GIVE THREE OF OUR GOONS A RING! :siren:

Absolutely beautiful! The team with the most goons on it is also the team to win the first goon championship rings, crushing the Cardinals 4-1. Let's see how our guys did!

It looks like it was Tim McCracken who really stepped up for Detroit in the postseason. This comes despite having a somewhat poor 2027 overall - this must be a wonderful morale boost for Tim, who hit 3 dingers and had 3 RBI''s in the postseason and an OPS+ of 153! (Ignore WAR here, that's from the season as a whole). Reggie Blank actually struggled (and had some moderate injuries) during the playoff run, so it was great that Tim could relieve some of the burden.

Honorable mention to Kalan, who did his best to help the Phillies, but they got swept by LA.

Looks like it wasn't just McCracken doing work - Plusse also put the Tigers on his back and did very well in all three of his starts, giving up only 4 runs in 15 2/3 innings pitched.

Charlie Brown struggled in his one appearance, giving up an earned run in 2.1 innings. Oh well.

Enjoy your rings goons, you earned them!

Oh and what's this? Douglas Dugless has a little trophy of his own! Looks like he snagged the 2027 NL Wild Card MVP Trophy for his performance with the Cubs against the Diamondbacks!

While he had something of a mediocre to bad year, Dugless stepped up in the Cubs' brief playoff appearance. In game 2 of the WC series, he had a 2 RBI triple that gave the Cubs a 2-1 victory over the Dbacks. In game 3, Dugless again had 2 RBI - in another 2-1 victory. The cubs scored 6 runs the entire series, and Dugless was responsible for knocking in 4 of them. Bravo!

But alas, there is a downside to this season. :rip: Biggus Dickus, everyone's favorite knuckleballer and man gifted in many ways, retires. We are sad to see him go, but love to watch him leave. He will become a coach, of course.

2027 Awards

The 2027 Awards are an opportunity for our goons to take home some additional hardware. Already high off their rings, will the Detroit Trio manage any individual prizes?

The first award, the "Platinum Stick" award (the silver slugger, I have no idea why it's renamed here), goes to the individual player in each league that produced the best offensive stats at their position. I like this award because it rewards players who play at positions not typically associated with offensive juggernauts, like catchers, and it used to include pitchers as well, before Manfred corrupted the national league with the DH.

Not shocking anyone, both Blank and Kalan pick up the award for Left Fielders, in the AL and NL respectively. Blank edged out Kalan overall and in power, but Kalan managed slightly better on base and speed stats. Both had amazing seasons.

None of the goons make any impact on Rookie of the Year, but we still have a few in the pipeline who might make a splash.

None of our pitchers show up either - as we'll see later, both struggled a bit down the stretch, and there was some pretty fierce competition. Giolito in the NL threw a 2.80 ERA season, and Cole in the AL threw 3.13, so it wasn't exactly easy to be number one.

Reggie Blank nearly gets the MVP nod in the AL, but places second to the immortal ankle of Carlos Correa. Correa did have the better season by most measures, with a 7.2 WAR and 142 OPS+, but I still wanted Reggie.

Always the bridesmaids - goons place second in the NL as well, with AJ Kalan falling short behind Nolan Gorman of the Cards. Nolan was actually even better than Correa, with a 7.9 WAR and monster 186 OPS+. And a .420 OBP :weed:.

A development on the financial front, as Sir Plusse is the first goon to sign a contract with his team! Most players are under "team control" for their first six years of MLB service. In the first 3 years they make a league minimum salary (currently 700k, what all other goons currently in the majors are earning) until their fourth year, where they negotiate with the team under the auspices of an arbiter to determine their salary. After 6 years, they can become free agents, and that's usually when they make the big bank. This is a bit of an oversimplification, but we can explore it further if anyone

For whatever reason, the Tigers decided to skip all that and sign a BIG contract with Sir Plusse. Looking at the structure, they likely anticipated Plusse being a big star and are leveraging their current control to, hopefully, save money in the long run. Under arbitration a successful Plusse could have made pretty good money, and yet more with free agency. I still think that they probably could have waited a bit to do this, but whatever - Plusse will be a Tiger for the next five years, barring a massive trade.

The offseason sees the usual flurry of moves, as one of our goons is involved in a trade:

We haven't heard much from Clips, as he's been struggling in the Rookie Leagues. Still, he's now part of the Arizona organization - and they've been on a tear lately, so maybe it will pan out.

With the offseason nearing it's end and 2028 beginning, as always, we end with the Hall of Fame voting:

Two BIG names enter the ballot in 2028 - Miguel Cabrera and Albert Pujols. Both were absolutely dominant hitters during their respective primes, with lengthy careers spanning nearly two decades. Their high 90's results reflect the broad consensus that both men are among the best to play, and they are inducted accordingly.

Beltre continues his creep towards 75%, and is tantalizingly close. Buster Posey stumbles back down to the 20's, potentially dooming his already somewhat marginal candidacy. Justin Verlander joins as well, starting around the middle of the pack, and may follow a similar path as Beltre to 75%.

And lastly, of course, we review how our goons did this season.

2027 Goon Batting Stats

Offensively, there were two standout goons - and they shouldn't shock anyone, having placed second in their respective leagues' MVP votes. Reggie Blank and AJ Kalan were by far the most productive goons offensively, with both making pretty solid cases for being the best. Blank slightly edges out Kalan when taking into WAR (and his superior fielding) as well as far better power stats, but Kalan tops Blank in OBP and speed stats. Note that Blank also played fewer games due to that somewhat nasty injury he suffered which caused him to have ~100 fewer PA's than Kalan, giving him the edge in my eyes.

Thus Reggie Blank wins my 2027 Goon Hitting Award! I wonder how long he will hog the honors?

But don't fret Kalan, I have a flex for you:

That's MLB leader, not just the NL.

On the other side of things, Tim McCracken had one of the more brutal seasons among the goons. His OPS+ of 77 is fairly bad, and 1.1 WAR over such a large sample is not inspiring. Some goons did worse - Glasscock for example, had a truly abysmal season, but he played roughly half as much as Tim did, giving Tim's failures more weight.

Among the bigger comebacks and surprises this season was Saito, who had a terrible '26 but roared back to become an All-Star and see his ratings skyrocket. Snorp, Dougless, and Glass all also played above average ball.

Grats to Dougless for leading baseball in one of the more random and arbitrary categories.

Malysz continues to be perfectly mediocre. It's kind of amazing.

2027 Goon Pitching Stats

We really only have two regular starts in the MLB, so for now it's going to be a two-man contest each year.

Both Plusse and Vegeta did well, but they struggled towards the end of the season, particularly Vegeta. His ERA, ERA+, and FIP all reflect this - and he only narrowly avoided a 4.00 ERA. Plusse was better by virtually all measures, with Vegeta only narrowly edging him out on WHIP and K/9.

Dougless had a truly awful season on the mound. His hitting was wonderful and his job in CF likely secure, but I wonder how long they will have the patience to have him pitch if he plays like that. Still, a small sample size, so who knows.

Charlie Brown did the worst of any goon this season, but admittedly, it was only over 5 IP. In one of those appearances he pitched 1.2 innings and gave up 6 runs, 4 earned, and in another 1.2 IP appearance, 5 earned runs. I bet he recovers in '28.

As such Sir Plusse wins my coveted 2027 Goon Pitching Award. Congrats!

Oh, and what of Goku v. Vegeta?

Somehow Goku is still only 0-2 against Vegeta? I think the game may not be tracking this correctly? That or they're sitting Goku against righties. I'll keep a closer eye on this in '28, as something is fishy.

2027 Goon Fielding Stats

Fielding, as noted, is weird and harder to compare. Some standouts:

Malysz and Dougless are likely the top two contenders for best fielder among goons, with Snorp a not so distant third. Malysz's zone rating of 14.7 is pretty phenomenal - the outfield is NOT safe when he's patrolling it, and he's likely catching balls few other CF's are able to get to. Dougless' ZR of 10 is also fantastic, and he didn't record an error in 220 putouts, which is very, very impressive. Snorp is probably the best defensive player in the infield, though admittedly it is at first base. Blank deserves mention for excellent play in left field, but it is dwarfed by the two CF's.

Among the goons who struggled defensively, Tim McCracken's offensive play was actually better than his dismal defense. He led goons by a LOT in errors, with a dismal 17, well ahead of Saito's 9 and Snorp's 8. His other stats like range factor and efficiency imply he is better than this so it might be bad luck - it might also be that Tim is truly talented, catching balls that otherwise would go by and making slick double plays, he just has a slight tendency to bobble the ball.

Given this information, I will award the 2027 Goon Fielding Award to Adam Malysz! Congrats!

And briefly, how are our coaches?

Lebron and Cadoc Faughn both found jobs in the offseason! Lebron is managing the Astros' rookie team in the Florida Complex League, making 30k a year for a two year stint. Cadoc is manging the Marlins affiliate in the Dominican Rookie League, for 35k a year over 3 years. Dickus will probably get a job next offseason, as he JUST retired.

Not much action here yet - the managing situation will be more interesting to monitor as the goons get some experience at the lower levels.

Thus ends 2027 - what surprises will 2028 have in store for us?

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

It’s actually nice to see my dude thriving at the major league level. I expected him to languish in AAA or AA for longer! Can’t wait to see how his batting stats get inflated because of Mexico City.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

JosefStalinator posted:

:siren: THE TIGERS DID IT, THEY WIN AND GIVE THREE OF OUR GOONS A RING! :siren:

Absolutely beautiful! The team with the most goons on it is also the team to win the first goon championship rings, crushing the Cardinals 4-1. Let's see how our guys did!

It looks like it was Tim McCracken who really stepped up for Detroit in the postseason. This comes despite having a somewhat poor 2027 overall - this must be a wonderful morale boost for Tim, who hit 3 dingers and had 3 RBI''s in the postseason and an OPS+ of 153! (Ignore WAR here, that's from the season as a whole). Reggie Blank actually struggled (and had some moderate injuries) during the playoff run, so it was great that Tim could relieve some of the burden.

Honorable mention to Kalan, who did his best to help the Phillies, but they got swept by LA.

Looks like it wasn't just McCracken doing work - Plusse also put the Tigers on his back and did very well in all three of his starts, giving up only 4 runs in 15 2/3 innings pitched.

Charlie Brown struggled in his one appearance, giving up an earned run in 2.1 innings. Oh well.

Enjoy your rings goons, you earned them!
Looks like Plusse's variety of pitches is taking him far. I'd say he's earned that contract. Bet he's happy with himself.

...I'm guessing he's pretty much maxed his ratings by now, so how're they looking?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Where's the list of the minor leaguers and what levels they've reached?!

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

These All-Stars Do Not Exist

Also heck yeah, you go Kalan, you 25 year old with the face of a man in his 40s!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I was worried for a bit that Kazuki's defense lagging behind would mean he would quickly become a 1B guy but honestly, no, if I knew a rookie who could mash as hard as him while manning the hot corner, I'd be willing to overlook 9 errors a year, too.

ajkalan posted:

These All-Stars Do Not Exist
:respek:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CptWedgie posted:

Looks like Plusse's variety of pitches is taking him far. I'd say he's earned that contract. Bet he's happy with himself.

...I'm guessing he's pretty much maxed his ratings by now, so how're they looking?

Looks like Plusse's cutter is his best pitch - though his fastball and sinker are solid too. Even though his slider/changeup are only mediocre, the fact that he has workable pitches is a really nice advantage. Hitters will struggle to predict what he's throwing if he has five viable pitches. That definitely helps compensate for what are otherwise only a bit above average numbers.

Contrast this with Vegeta - Vegeta throws HARD, and his pitch selection is overall much better, though slightly more predictable. Four is usually sufficient for a starter. Vegeta's big problem is his control - honestly, I think Vegeta might in the long run catch up with and surpass Plusse, but so far it hasn't really happened.

habeasdorkus posted:

Where's the list of the minor leaguers and what levels they've reached?!

Here ya go! I don't know why Storg is struggling so much in the minors - his power is there, but his ability to hit for contact is really, really not holding up. There's still time, and hope, though.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

JosefStalinator posted:

Contrast this with Vegeta - Vegeta throws HARD, and his pitch selection is overall much better, though slightly more predictable. Four is usually sufficient for a starter. Vegeta's big problem is his control - honestly, I think Vegeta might in the long run catch up with and surpass Plusse, but so far it hasn't really happened.
Honestly, I don't really get why Vegeta hasn't already surpassed Plusse; on paper, he's indisputably the better pitcher. Does having an extra pitch really give Plusse that much of an advantage, or is Vegeta just having bad days every time he pitches? ...Or is it just Plusse being a lefty that's messing with everyone?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clearly I should have asked for goku to be a pitcher. Maybe next goon gen

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

JosefStalinator posted:

Here ya go! I don't know why Storg is struggling so much in the minors - his power is there, but his ability to hit for contact is really, really not holding up. There's still time, and hope, though.

Steve "Skeleton Bro" McGee has some stories to tell it appears. He started spring training in A+, got knocked back down to A for the start of the season, and ended in A+ again on a wholly different team in a different league. :psyduck:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Charlie Brown's already having a better major league career than his idol Joe Shlabotnik ever had, though I admit it was an extremely low bar to clear. Congratulations, you blockhead, you never gave up!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
O'Doyle is still garbage and is stuck at the lowest level, but he at least is on a different team. That's exciting, right? Right?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CptWedgie posted:

Honestly, I don't really get why Vegeta hasn't already surpassed Plusse; on paper, he's indisputably the better pitcher. Does having an extra pitch really give Plusse that much of an advantage, or is Vegeta just having bad days every time he pitches? ...Or is it just Plusse being a lefty that's messing with everyone?

I think the smart money is still on Vegeta continuing to improve. It's probably a bit of bad luck, a bit over not quite having developed yet, and a bit of bad scouting. How much of each of those three will determine his success, but I wouldn't be shocked if '28 was a breakout year.

Namtab posted:

Clearly I should have asked for goku to be a pitcher. Maybe next goon gen

Goku's still fantastic, he's just a bit of a late bloomer relative to Vegeta.

One weird thing about OOTP is that scouts loving LOVE fielding. For batters it seems to really factor in heavily to their overall and potential numbers.

Also, lol

DoubleNegative posted:

Steve "Skeleton Bro" McGee has some stories to tell it appears. He started spring training in A+, got knocked back down to A for the start of the season, and ended in A+ again on a wholly different team in a different league. :psyduck:

McGee looks fine. In fact, look at this:

He's actually developing decently into a two-way player!

This was his best season on the pitching side of things, and the game may be developing him a bit more as a pitcher before they promote him. Stay tuned, as he may be quite an exciting guy once he figures out how good of a hitter/pitcher he is.

Armitage posted:

Charlie Brown's already having a better major league career than his idol Joe Shlabotnik ever had, though I admit it was an extremely low bar to clear. Congratulations, you blockhead, you never gave up!

Lumpy posted:

O'Doyle is still garbage and is stuck at the lowest level, but he at least is on a different team. That's exciting, right? Right?

It's not looking good for O'Doyle :(. I'm also dumb and didn't realize he got traded TO the Yankees. Not that it matters much, I don't think he has much time left, but maybe he'll pull of a miracle :(.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Vegeta's offseason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia4UjRTKBaY

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Greetings Goons,

Needless to say, the owners and myself were thrilled when you made your selection for the expansion teams.

When I saw the "Butte Wipers" being discussed as a potential team, I will admit, I sweated a bit. But I am a man of my word, and you... actually picked two teams that made logical sense, had large markets with some baseball interest, and had acceptable ballparks for the teams to play in immediately. I had prepared a sizable emergency fund for if you picked something insane like the "Lhasa Llamas", but your choices end up being quite reasonable.

As such, I've decided to let you reap the goodwill you've sown by coming to the goons with a new proposal - that you help MLB decide the names and dimensions for new ballparks for the two expansion teams.

For reference, here are the current MLB field dimension rules:

MLB Rules posted:

The rulebook states that parks constructed by professional teams after June 1, 1958, must have a minimum distance of 325 feet between home plate and the nearest fence, stand or other obstruction on the right- and left-field foul lines, and 400 feet between home plate and the nearest fence, stand or other obstruction in center field. However, some clubs have been permitted to construct parks after that date with dimensions shorter than those specified.

Montreal Expos

I will admit, there is some nostalgia to Olympic Stadium. Should the goons wish to keep it in place, or just modify it slightly, that is in order. However, the league is prepared to offer funds for the construction of a new stadium with some emergency money generously donated by Prime Minister Trudeau.

Here are the current dimensions of the park:

Choices for "type" are "Dome," "Open Ballpark," and "Retractable Roof".
Choices for "surface" are "grass" and "artificial turf".

Whatever you choose WILL determine the park factors, impacting the likelihood of home runs and other factors, so choose carefully! Names in French are also acceptable.

Mexico City Quetzalcoatls

The Mexican government is in an even more dire need of changes to their stadium, as it currently only holds ~20,000 people. The altitude makes it a dinger paradise, and that could be enhanced further (or counteracted) by changes to their outfield fences and heights.

Have at it goons! Make your proposals, and we can vote on them or come to consensus, in this format:

stadium proposal posted:

Montreal Expos/Mexico City Quetzalcoatls
Stadium Name:
Type:
Surface:
Capacity:
Left Line (distance/height):
Left Field:
Left-Center:
Center Field:
Right-Center:
Right Field:
Right Line:

Remember that the lines have to be a minimum 325, and a minimum of 400 to center.

Thank you goons, and I look forward to your reasonable and level-headed proposals. Keep this up, and maybe one of you will be commissioner some day!

-Commissioner Rob Manfred

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 5, 2023

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Can we have the option to expand foul territory? The A's have a ton of foul ground, which helps their pitching; Mexico City might get some balance from that.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1432037904541310982

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Unrelated, but any consideration to realign the divisions?

Two leagues, eight divisions, four teams. Can use the same playoff structure, just with one more division winner and one less wild card team.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Red posted:

Can we have the option to expand foul territory? The A's have a ton of foul ground, which helps their pitching; Mexico City might get some balance from that.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1432037904541310982

I don't think any of the dimensions do anything, other than play by play stuff. The ballpark factors are the only things that actually affect the parks. In our current Mexico City stadium, batters hit for lower average, are a lot less likely to hit doubles or triples, but a lot more likely to hit dingers (presumably because hard-hit balls just become HRs). I don't think any of the stats are easily correlated (i.e. 0.9 does not mean 90%), but you can see what other parks look like and adjust the factors accordingly.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That is an absolutely horrendous realignment proposal lol

e: The Twins are literally the northernmost team in the entire league (though Montreal would just barely take the crown) and you stick them in the south lmao

e2: forgot seattle is also farther north (by an actual significant margin too)

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 5, 2023

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Dunno about building stadiums, but here’s a fair shot at it:

MODIFIED STADIUM FOR MONTREAL EXPOS:

—Name: Stade Olympique
—Type: Dome
—Surface: Grass
—Capacity: 36,000
—Left Line: Same (325/12)
—Left Field: Same (325/12)
—Left Center: 380/12
—Center: 405/12
—Right Center: 380/12
—Right Field: Same (325/12)
—Right Line: Same (325/12)

NEW STADIUM FOR MEXICO CITY QUETZALCOATLS:

—Name: Campo PEMEX
—Type: Open Ballpark
—Capacity: 30,000
—Left Line: 316/11
—Left Field: Same As Current (325/7)
—Left Center: 360/7
—Center Field: Same As Current (400/7)
—Right Center: 360/7
—Right Field: 325/7
—Right Line: 316/11

…I like symmetrical ballparks, man.

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 5, 2023

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

JosefStalinator posted:

It's not looking good for O'Doyle :(. I'm also dumb and didn't realize he got traded TO the Yankees. Not that it matters much, I don't think he has much time left, but maybe he'll pull of a miracle :(.

He just needs to focus on the cutter and be the second coming of Mariano for the Yanks!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

JosefStalinator posted:

I don't know why Storg is struggling so much in the minors - his power is there, but his ability to hit for contact is really, really not holding up.

Storg is the Jack Cust of this exercise.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

He just needs to focus on the cutter and be the second coming of Mariano for the Yanks!

He may have hope as a reliever if he can do that - relievers can survive on two pitched and decent control. His movement may be a problem.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I love how Potato Manjack (a.k.a. Doink the Clown) signed with a bonus of $15m and is struggling to even make Single A and has an abysmal potential rating

with $15m in his pocket, he really doesn't need to do a whole lot more in life

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Someone should figure out how to retrofit the Estadio Azteca to play baseball in

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Looking at Rooster’s fielding stats, I’m guessing him being a utility infielder isn’t doing him any favors ratings wise. Then again, he’s only played 40ish games so far at the MLB level, so he’s probably got room to improve.

It’s actually interesting. I thought with him focusing on his deep field bombs, his defense would at least be average, if not middle of the pack.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
- Unique Characteristics: Grass around the pitcher's mound has a red ring, bullpen is underground

—Name: Olympic Stadium of the Gods
—Type: Retractable Roof
—Capacity: 44,000
—Left Line: 335/10
—Left Field: 335/10
—Left Center: 385/10
—Center: 405/10
—Right Center: 385/10
—Right Field: Same 0335/10
—Right Line: Same 335/10

- Unique characteristics: Fake mountain range between the outfield wall and the stands, Limited catwalk seating

—Name: Ciudad Compleja
—Surface: Turf
—Capacity: 70,000
—Left Line: 330/12
—Left Field: 330/12
—Left Center: 350/12
—Center Field: 400/12
—Right Center: 350/12
—Right Field: 330/12
—Right Line: 330/12

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

habeasdorkus posted:

Storg is the Jack Cust of this exercise.

ah yes, i remember when jack cust was going to be the three true outcomes player that would put the mariners over the top.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
The stupid thoughts strike again!

Montreal Expos new stadium
-Name: The Biggest Stadium IN THE WORLD!
-Type: Retractable Roof
-Surface: Artificial Turf
-Capacity: ...I have no sense of scale, so I'll let you figure it out.
-Left Line: 900
-Left Field: 975
-Left-Center: 1080
-Center Field: 1200
-Right-Center: 1080
-Right Field: 975
-Right Line: 900

Mexico City new stadium
-Name: Budget Stadium
-Type: Open Ballpark
-Surface: Grass
-Capacity: Again, no sense of scale; call it 35000?
-All field measurements minimum

Or you could switch the two. Now, I know there's basically no chance for the excessively-huge stadium to make it in (honestly it sounds like it'd lead to an absurd number of walks because the pitcher wouldn't even be able to reach the plate), but I couldn't resist- you didn't say there was a maximum on how big we could make it, after all.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CptWedgie posted:

Mexico City new stadium

Or you could switch the two. Now, I know there's basically no chance for the excessively-huge stadium to make it in (honestly it sounds like it'd lead to an absurd number of walks because the pitcher wouldn't even be able to reach the plate), but I couldn't resist- you didn't say there was a maximum on how big we could make it, after all.

Out of curiosity, I wanted to see what this insane ballpark would look like.

Expos max stadium:

This... completely breaks the game. Home runs are basically impossible (or become inside the park home runs I guess) and all become doubles and triples instead. This would completely break all stats and strategy but would be kinda fun to see happen.

The Mexico City park is pretty much already at minimum, but I guess you could game it and create an insanely terrifying looking stadium that is shallow in center-right and left. Also 1 foot fences:

I feel like 1 foot fences means a lot MORE doubles, but 50% more home runs is still pretty wild. Not nearly as stupidly broken as the 1200 foot outfield...

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Well, as I said, there's basically no chance of the giant field making it in (hell, even I don't particularly want it), so nobody'll need to worry about their stats. At least I got a few chuckles out of seeing the resulting modifiers, though, so it was good for something.

And hey, at least I resisted the temptation to make it like 2 miles to first base! Imagine how broken that would be; I'm not sure the game would survive a field that big.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CptWedgie posted:

And hey, at least I resisted the temptation to make it like 2 miles to first base! Imagine how broken that would be; I'm not sure the game would survive a field that big.

Distance between bases is an actual rule so you can't specify it in field dimensions lol

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We have three proposals for the new stadium so far! This is pretty technical, so I'm not super shocked there's less interest:

HereticMIND posted:

Dunno about building stadiums, but here’s a fair shot at it:

—Name: Stade Olympique
—Capacity: 36,000
—Left Line: Same (325/12)
—Left Field: Same (325/12)
—Left Center: 380/12
—Center: 405/12
—Right Center: 380/12
—Right Field: Same (325/12)
—Right Line: Same (325/12)

—Name: Campo PEMEX
—Type: Open Ballpark
—Capacity: 30,000
—Left Line: 316/11
—Left Field: Same As Current (325/7)
—Left Center: 360/7
—Center Field: Same As Current (400/7)
—Right Center: 360/7
—Right Field: 325/7
—Right Line: 316/11

…I like symmetrical ballparks, man.

Red posted:

- Unique Characteristics: Grass around the pitcher's mound has a red ring, bullpen is underground

—Name: Olympic Stadium of the Gods
—Type: Retractable Roof
—Capacity: 44,000
—Left Line: 335/10
—Left Field: 335/10
—Left Center: 385/10
—Center: 405/10
—Right Center: 385/10
—Right Field: Same 0335/10
—Right Line: Same 335/10

- Unique characteristics: Fake mountain range between the outfield wall and the stands, Limited catwalk seating

—Name: Ciudad Compleja
—Surface: Turf
—Capacity: 70,000
—Left Line: 330/12
—Left Field: 330/12
—Left Center: 350/12
—Center Field: 400/12
—Right Center: 350/12
—Right Field: 330/12
—Right Line: 330/12

CptWedgie posted:

Mexico City new stadium

I'll leave these here for now and hold a vote on them soon. Feel free to continue to submit ideas. Not sure I really want to allow the insane 1080 foot stadium, but if we want to maybe do an unusually large one, or with a giant wall or whatever, I don't think that would be outrageous.

For 2028, we'll just go with the current stadiums (for now). I've got some real life stuff holding me up this week, and want to do 2028 tonight to keep the ball rolling!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2028 MLB Season

2027 was a great year for goons. We won three rings (all with the Tigers!), and had four All-Star appearances. Two of our goons were tantalizingly close to the MVP in their respective leagues - will Kalan and Blank finally edge out the competition this year?

Will Vegeta finally realize his potential and reach super saiyan? Will he face Goku again - and see who is truly the Prince of All Saiyans? Will Krillin finally make an appearance with the Expos?

And most importantly, will Adam Malysz continue to be perfectly mediocre?

Only time will tell.

The offseason ends and turns into the preseason, with the above teams making the biggest gains and losses by WAR. The Yankees were shockingly mediocre last season, going 79-83, and aren't even the team with the highest payroll in baseball! This wouldn't do, and the Yankees look to be making big moves back to being competitive.

Who is the biggest spender in baseball?

I bet you all expected the Dodgers, but no, it is the Mets who have ballooned into first place. This isn't super shocking, as the Mets are only just behind the Dodgers in the real world of 2023, but they're over the Dodgers by nearly $40 million. Kind of surprised to see the Cards so high on this list, especially since they only have one player in the top 25.

The A's are unsurprisingly near the bottom, but they barely edge out the absolutely cratering Nationals.

The nationals are bad, and have been since the goons joined.

For fun, here's the top paid players in 2028 goon world:

Still mostly familiar names, as most of our IRL veterans are nearing the end of their big free agent contracts, or just hit the payday if they're younger. Juan Soto is still only 29 and is a free agent next year - he's ready to make even more bank.

I would show the goons' financial situation but every single player except for Plusse is either in the minors or making the league minimum 700k. That info will be more interesting when goons hit free agency and arbitration (which will come).

One small event happens before Spring Training begins, and it is a bout of blasphemy. Jon Dowd, the absolutely new player with no connection to steroid use, is traded to the Padres. He is reportedly happy with this deal, saying it lets him spend "more time with my best buddy, Fernando."

The first day of Spring Training, and the expanded rosters sees nearly all the goons in the majors. Those still languishing in the minors are running out of time, with Patrick O'Doyle in particular on a knife's edge.

My boy Stalin made it though! :3:

But our joy is cut short, as Spring Training takes a toll on the goons. Jack Glasscock strains his hamstring rounding the bases, knocking him out for over a month. John Cena suffers a chest injury after a teammate knocks into him covering third, claiming he was "nearly invisible," also knocking him out for a month. Glass joins Glasscock with a smaller chest injury, but still misses a few days.

Jack is sad.

We manage to avoid any other major injuries, as the rosters look like so after opening day and the start of the regular season:

A LOT of goons get sent back down. But I'm sure many will be back up before long.

Prince Vegeta was once again the opening day starter for the White Sox - pitching a respectable 5 innings with 1 ER, 9K's, 6 H's and 2 BB's. The White Sox would still lose to the Blue Jays 4-2, after blowing their 1-1 tie left by Vegeta.

SNK Replica finally starts to show on our radar - hitting 3 dingers against the Giants affiliate down in AA, and on 4/20 no less. Despite butchering her pronouns, everyone present was in awe and in admiration, wondering when she would be called up...

In fact someone in the Tigers org must have been paying attention, because by 4/25, Replica was officially in the majors!

And she hit a dinger in her first game! In fact...

It was not just her first game, but her first appearance in the majors at all! The Tigers have to be happy about this. Will we have a goon dynasty?

And would you look at that - her first RBI wasn't herself - it was Tim McCracken himself, batting just in front of her. We love that goon synergy!

But wait, where's Blank?

Blank... you blockhead! It looks like one of the reasons Replica was called up was that Blank was suspended for a brawl against Toronto a few days before. I'm sure they'll get a chance to play together soon.

Snorp starts hotter than any goon, Replica included, hitting in a magnificent 20 games straight. He would have it snapped the next day against the Astros, but that's definitely a goon best so far.

Oof. Velo Victim suffers a truly horrendous injury, having his achilles tendon ruptured down in the minors. I don't know if this will impact his catching ability, but he already had a speed of 10/100, so I don't think he'll be stealing any bases any time soon. Either way, his season is doneso.

Jessie Crime wakes up a bit in the minors, winning a player of the week award.

Snorp's stupidly hot start to 2028 is recognized with the AL's Batter of the Month award in April.

Tubbs continues his climb from his awful 2025 debut, and manages 5 hits against the struggling Pirates. His only reaction was to scream "TONIGHT".

Rock on, Carl.

Look at that happy face :3:. Good job Malysz, getting some attention for an absurdly good week in May. About time.

Replica continues her hot start, making a running for Rookie of the Year with the AL Monthly award for rookies. Not sure who her competition is, but a .270 average so far ain't bad at all.

TUBBS DOES IT AGAIN.

And with Tubb's performance we arrive at the All-Star Break. Which of our goons will be representing their teams in the All-Star Game?

Over in the NL, only AJ Kalan gets the nod, winning convincingly over his opponents in the ballots. Dugless falls just short and gets third place for the Center Field spot, and Bob Glass is narrowly denied the spot at shortstop, losing to Trea Turner.

The AL is a bit of a shocker -as NONE of our Tiger goons even make it into the top 3 at any position in the All-Star Ballot. (We'll see their stats shortly, explaining why in part). Prince Vegeta is not only selected, but leads all pitchers, and earns the nod as starter in the All-Star game. Our normally mediocre boy Malysz places third for CF, and Snorp loses to Vlad Guerrero Jr. at first.

If you're a bit outraged, OOTP does actually model for the fact that "popular" players from big market teams tend to do better in All-Star voting, which might explain some of our goons underperformances. Get on the Yankees or get good!

Kazuki Saito manages to sneak in due to the fact that every team has to have at least one player at the All-Star game, and he's by far the best player on Cincinnati right now. But it still counts! Snorp gets in as well, though not as a starter.

Let's check up on our goons and their status at the half:

2028 All-Star Break Stats

Reggie Blank, what happened!? Shockingly, one of the players having the worst start to 2028 is Reggie Blank, last year's near MVP and goon stud. He's hitting an anemic .215 with an OPS+ of only 80, with a sad 1.0 WAR. Goku and Glasscock also appear to be struggling, although admittedly over far fewer appearances. Blank is still starting nearly every day and putting up these numbers.

On the positive side of things Snorp is by far having the best 2028 of all the goons. He's not just hitting over .300 but also putting up an OPS+ of 162, with a goon leading 28 dingers and nearly 100 RBI at the half. Somewhat surprisingly, he's still put up .1 less WAR than Bob Glass, whose brilliant defense more than complements his slightly above average hitting. Dugless, Saito, and Tubbs all remain in contention with strong first halves.

It looks like Blank's struggles are almost perfectly mirrored by Sir Plusse, who is having a pretty abysmal 2028. His ERA of 5.50 is dreadful, though his FIP suggests he is better than this. His ERA+ is nearly doubled by Prince Vegeta, who seems to finally be realizing his potential. A 2.88 ERA, over 100 strikeouts at the half, and an ERA+ of 141 all are indications that Vegeta has finally come of his own. His FIP suggests that he might regress a bit in the second half, but he can't be unhappy with these results.

Dugless continues to struggle as a starter, though he did get 10 starts so far with the Cubs. I think his future as a starter remains uncertain.

Charlie only has 8 unimpressive innings at the half, so I reserve judgement on him for now.

Down in the minors, Storg makes an appearance by winning MVP of the North vs. South All-Star game. He's comin for for the majors!

The Home Run Derby is traditionally held a few days for the All-Star game, and it looks like our boy Snorp signed up to make an appearance!

And make an appearance he did! He narrowly edges out Gunnar and Joey Gallo of the Orioles, to crush Rafael Devers 23-17. Snorp must be riding high!

The All-Star game comes and goes, with the NL crushing the AL 8-1. I thought Vegeta got the starting nod but I guess not - he would pitch one beautiful inning and strike out 2 of the 3 batters faced. Unfortunately for the AL, Kalan had their starters' number, tripling and later scoring twice more. Borsgard would also record a hit, while Glass strikes out.

Kalan and Tubbs both compete against each other to see who can be the better contact hitter. Both are hitting near .300.

Down in the minors, Cooper causes trouble while Bantoni continues his quest to avenge his fallen brother.

Snorp cannot be contained. He hits three dingers against the Orioles (and still lost, lol) and now has 36 dingers through July. He is on pace for a monster of a season.

Blank cannot suffer failure, and already has his average back up to nearly .240 by August, aided by a 20 game streak. He would proceed to give it up in the next game. Ah well.

Jose Alface finally makes an appearance. He hasn't really shown up much yet. Let's hope this is the start of his climb to the majors.

Our favorite boney boy Steve McGee finally makes some noise too. McGee has been around the minors for a long time now and been on quite a few teams, so hopefully he starts rattling his bones for a promotion.

Both McGee and Alface would show up again later, with McGee winning player of the month and Alface going 5 for 5 in a game.

McCracken joins his buddy Blank to start waking up in the latter half of the season. McCracken's average is sitll pretty mediocre but his power is coming back big time - he has 32 dingers and over 100 RBI, the latter in part due to his absolutely goon-stacked Tigers lineup.

In fact, that goon-led team would record 96 wins in 2028 - finishing atop the AL central, and hoping to earn the goons another four rings.

Very normal.

2028 Final Standings and Playoffs

Quite a few goons will be making appearances this year, a reflection of their skills:

DET - Plusse, Replica, Blank, McCracken
CLE - Goku
CHC - Dugless
NYM - Glass
SFG - Tubbs
TEX - Snorp, Dee (Dee is on the roster but hasn't made an appearance yet)

Charlie Brown got sent back down to AAA before the playoffs. (He would still get a ring with the Dodgers though as he did make appearances during the season)

That's 50% of teams with a goon on the roster (and one more if you count the Dodgers), so good odds at least one goon gets a ring!

The playoffs begin well for the Tigers, with Replica winning the MVP award for the division series. It was a team effort, with McCracken smacking 2 dingers in the series. Plusse, for whatever reason, was only asked to pitch 1.2 innings.

Bob Glass notably hit a dinger but didn't do much else in the Mets' win over the Giants, where Tubbs also hit a dinger and otherwise flailed.

Oof. The series against the Orioles goes terribly for the Tigers, as they drop the series 4 games to 1. Replica does NOT repeat her performance, going an abysmal 0 for 18 against the O's. McCracken his three more dingers. Dude has POWER.

The Mets defeat the Cards, sending them to the World Series against the O's. Bob Glass plays well with 2 HR's and 6 RBI, narrowly losing the MVP to Precioso. Glass remains our last goon ring chance for '28.

But Glass can't quite do it. He gets to make an appearance in the World Series - itself an accomplishment - but does not get a ring.

With that, no goons get a ring. But just to make sure goons are insulted...

Bitchface is immediately promoted back to the Orioles as soon as the season ends. He technically spent all of 2028 in AAA and was NOT on the Orioles roster at all during 2028, so he does not get a ring. Oof.

I failed to notice, but Steve McGee got hurt at the end of the minor league season, and will spend most of the offseason icing his shoulder blades.

A disappointing end to the season. But what will the offseason hold? I think some goons might be up for arbitration, so we may be seeing some raises.

Yes, in addition to the already contracted Sir Plusse, Prince Vegeta, Tubbs, and Kalan are all due for arbitration. In arbitration, both the player and the team negotiate a new contract based on a number of factors, from experience to performance. If they cannot agree, both submit bids to an arbiter to determine their salary.

Everyone else is still making 700k/year. These negotiations will take some time.

The Giants sign Tubbs to a 1 year, 5 million dollar extension. I thought he was up for the league minimum next year, but looks like he also was about to hit arbitration? Either way, the Giants made a great offer and skipped arbitration for 2028, and Tubbs will go into 2029 quite wealthy.

Not a single Goon wins a "Platinum Stick" Award. Shameful, rigged, and fake news.

Glass and Dugless win Golden Gloves for Shortstop and CF respectively in the AL, and are joined by Malysz at Center in the NL.

SNK Replica joins Reggie Blank with one of the most coveted honors in baseball - the Rookie of the Year Award for 2028! She had a superb season and handily beat her opponents (in an admittedly weak competing class, but it still counts!)

In MVP voting, Snorp places 6th in the AL and Dugless 3rd with Glass 8th in the NL, but no other goons make a showing for the CY Young or MVP awards (you'll see Vegeta's stats later...).

Kind of an abysmal awards year for the goons, SNK aside. Some decent MVP placings but only a Rookie of the Year and 3 GG's among them. Not a single batting award baffles me.

But hey, some goons start getting paid!

Kalan has a spookily good Halloween, signing a 5 year, $52 million extension with the Phillies. This means he will skip arbitration altogether and spend what would have been his first 2 years of free agency with the Phillies. They clearly value him as a player and want to keep him around as he continues to thrive. Teams will make offers like this both because they expect arbitration to raise their salaries, but for the player to demand a premium when they hit the free market. Kalan could easily command 25+ million a year as a free agent, so this is probably a smart move for the time being.

Prince Vegeta, like Tubbs, is given an offer by the White Sox and skips arbitration for this year. He will make a respectable $5.6 million, and is projected to make 7.8 next year.

But all tremble, for Reggie Blank has something to show you...

Down year, shmown year. Reggie Blank is making BANK. The Tigers clearly think this year's mediocre numbers were a fluke, as they sign Reggie to a startling 8 year extension, making him a Tiger until he is 33. It also makes him a very wealthy man, with a total value of $160 million, crushing all the goons (maybe even combined). The Tigers clearly think he will continue to perform, and if he returns to being as good as he was in 2027, 27 million a year is a bargain.

I must have also missed Dugless, who snags a nifty $5.75 million through arbitration. I don't know if that was his demand or the team's offer or what.

Actually Goku has been struggling since his call up, and his much more paltry extension by the Guardians reflects this. He's still arb eligible for another 2 years, so he has time to get his numbers up and make bank in FA.

With that we have our salaries for 2029 already settled (again, everyone else is making league minimum 700k):

Oh wait, something strange actually happened that I completely missed:

Mr. Panda has had something of a weird trajectory compared to the other goons. He apparently was released by San Diego but immediately picked up by the Reds - and rather than failing, actually thrived in the Reds minors where he struggled before. As a result, he has earned an extension and a hypothetical salary of $930,000 from the Reds, as an option if he gets called up to the majors.

The remainder of 2028 concludes without issue, with no goons retiring this year. Even struggling Patrick O'Doyle remains in the minors, albeit still at single A.

As always, we conclude the progress of time with the 2029 Hall of Fame Ballot:

Showing up for the first time this year is Robinson Cano, who starts out with a commanding 62% on a path to (probably) make it in eventually. Beltran is tantalizingly close yet again, less than 2% away with 3 more tries left. No one else notable makes an appearance or disappearance, or big movement.

How are our managing goons doing?

First, Biggus Dickus finds a home managing the Dominican Rookie League affiliate for the Orioles. Good for him. 2 years, 35k each.

Everyone else is chugging along as they were before. Cash has notably raised his reputation to "fair" already - maybe a sign that he is on the fast track for MLB managing. He's already managing at AAA, so it's hardly a big leap. We'll see when his final season with the Phillies AAA affiliate is up.

Now, how did our player goons do this year? This was kind of a disappointing year for most, with one really notable collapse:

2028 Ratings and Status Update

It's been a while since I showed a proper ratings/status update, so peruse at your leisure.

2028 Batting Stats

The goons were mostly above average this season, all doing well but really only one or two truly standing out offensively. I will say that it is encouraging that of all the goons who had 500+ PA's, our worst OPS+ was Goku at 76, with almost everyone else at 120 OPS+ or more. Goku definitely struggled the most of any goon with serious play time, with low contact, power, and other stats to have little redeeming about his season. He did get hit by the pitcher 19 times though, which is a lot.

Surprising myself (and probably most of us), it was Douglas Dugless who ended up with the strongest 2028, by a fairly wide margin. He was second in dingers with an impressive 37, had an OPS+ of 143 with an OPS nearing 1.000, and a total WAR with an admirable 7.4. Bob Glass, coming out of nowhere, was on his heels in total WAR, bolstered by an excellent defense at short. Snorp deserves mention for his mighty 43 dingers and 127 RBI, joining Douglass and McCracken in the 100+ RBI club (the Tiger boys of course, feeding off one another's power).

I'd also like to note that Kalan quietly stole nearly 50 bases, with Malysz not far behind him at 39.

SNK Replica actually didn't have that monster of a season despite her start, but it was still good enough to get her the RoY! Glass is probably disappointed he wasn't eligible, as he got called up in 2027.

I think there's a clear winner here - Douglas Dugless wins my Goon Batting Award for 2028!

2028 Pitching Stats

https://i.imgur.com/Wqxsui9.mp4

Prince Vegeta what happened!?. Remember that Vegeta had a pristine 2.88 ERA going into the All-Star break, and yet he finishes the season at 4.15. I shouldn't act as though this is a terrible ERA - it's still solid, but he must have had an absolutely brutal July (6.51 ERA), August (6.47 ERA), and September (5.75 ERA). Was he gassed? Did he just regress to the mean? Hard to say, but the FIP didn't lie - he did end up regressing a bit above what would be expected in a neutral environment. From 142 ERA+ to 99. Oof. 178 K's is still pretty solid.

Sir Plusse regressed a bit in a positive direction, ending up with an ugly 5.08 ERA but decent FIP and still positive WAR. He's definitely struggling compared to last year, and is outclassed by Vegeta by virtually every metric.

Dugless absolutely had a wonderful season offensively - but continued to suck at pitching. A 6.61 ERA frankly isn't going to cut it. I wonder if the Cubs are going to cut him off and just make him a full time CF soon.

Charlie Brown's struggles continued, typified in his demotion to AAA before the season was done. Maybe he just needs a bit more time. His FIP suggests a bit of bad luck - what a shock. Those strikeout numbers though look pretty sick.

All our goons had difficult 2028's on the mound, but Prince Vegeta still did well enough to earn my 2028 Goon Pitching Award!

Oh, and how's he done against Goku?

https://i.imgur.com/PFUEFBZ.mp4

2028 Fielding Stats

I'm still kinda unsure how to interpret these, but a few players stand out defensively. Bob Glass has become an absolutely elite fielder at short - he put up only 4 errors in 644 total chances, with the second best range and by far the highest Zone Rating and defensive efficiency among the goons with ample play time. He is an absolute terror to hit against.

Dugless and Malysz also get honorable mentions for similarly elite defense, though not quite on Glass' level.

McCracken appears to have improved alongside Blank for above average fielding, but Tim's errors remain a huge liability. He tied Saito for the second most errors at a worrying 15.

Snorp and Saito appear to be competing for the biggest defensive liabilities. Saito at least has decent range at third, but just has butterfingers. Snorp on the other hand not only led in errors but also had one of the lowest Zone Ratings among the goons, suggesting he isn't making plays in his direction as consistently. Sad. Kalan suffers a bit from this problem as well.

There's a clear leader here - Bob Glass wins my 2028 Goon Fielding Award! He has the makings of an elite utility infielder, even if his hitting slows down.

Thus ends 2028. Will 2029 see a recovery for goons? How much will the goons get paid? Will some of our guys trapped in the minors finally escape, or quit? We'll find out next time, on OOTP!

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 7, 2023

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Douglas Dugless is going to be in the HoF in his first eligible year, calling it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Well, Plusse seems to have passed his prime, but he's still got a few years in him, I'm sure (even if those years are spent in the minor leagues after age and injuries inevitably take their toll). And hey, he's got a World Series win under his belt- that's more success than a lot of players get, I'm sure!

And his contract should mean that when he inevitably retires, he should be able to live fairly comfortably; $29 million is nothing to scoff at. Wonder how he'll do as a coach, though...