Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Dillbag posted:

I forgot about Teras Kasi. I laughed out loud in the theater when it was mentioned and immediately felt like a giant nerd.

That was me when Mandolarian mentioned Life Day. Having to explain the Holiday Special to my family sure was a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Biplane posted:

I thought masters of teras kasi was literally the best thing in the world when I was like, 9. :smith:

I didn't have a PS1 as a kid, but I'm pretty sure it would have been the first game I would get if I had one. I would still be down for a fighting game. I had so much fun with the Star Wars guest characters in Soul Calbur IV.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Any game that lets you beat up Darth Vader as a Tusken is good and cool

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i just hope they redo the baddie spawn system, it never felt natural, seeing the rats eat the storm trooper over and over and other stuff. etc. it clashes with the metroidvania design too.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Did a pretty quick replay of the game this week to get ready for the sequel. I mostly had a good time and didn't ever feel too much aggravation, which I'm sure is due to playing through it this time on the easiest mode and doing pretty minimal backtracking.

I found that playing on easy lets you have fun with the combat because you actually feel like an overpowered Jedi most of the time and it doesn't take 5 hits to kill a loving rat creature, but you still can adjust tactics for the different enemies and focus on parrying to take them out quickly/effectively/stylishly. You also don't really ever need to rest on easy so you don't have to worry about the annoying enemy respawns. I did crank the difficulty up to highest or 2nd highest for the actual duels though, which I thought was a good way to bring in some challenge.

Some of the level design for replayability though, man oh man. It's decent enough fun to play through each of the levels as you go but no chance this time around I was going to backtrack through those goddamn ice caves on Zeffo or jump through all that Kashyyyk tree nonsense again. Especially not just for some ponchos or lightsaber hilts.

Anyway I am pretty excited for the sequel! I think the Uncharted/Metroidvania/Souls mashup mostly works and it feels like they can go from decent/good to great with the right changes. I really liked experiencing the story again and had forgotten how cool some of the big setpieces were (that ending!). Pushing everyone off of ledges never gets old and the pull-stab move rules. Great supporting cast too with Cere, Merrin, Trilla, etc., looking forward to seeing more of them, more of the Mantis and more Cal & BD adventures. The game looked fantastic with the PS5 upgrade, should be even better with the sequel focused solely on PS5 hardware.

Some fixes I hope they've made for Survivor:
- Far less creature combat
- Fast travel (just do it from the meditation spots!)
- Cal felt pretty clunky to control, hopefully he's a bit more spry now
- More optional areas to explore - the crashed Venator was really cool, would like to see more areas like that
- Better rewards for exploration
- Clean up some of the sloppiness - Cal being surprised by BD jumping into chests over and over, Cal speaking to BD underwater, the same loving rat creatures eating the same dead stormtrooper on Zeffo everytime you visit, etc.
- More natural ways to speak with your crew - in order to get most of their dialogue you'd have to go back and forth between each planet more then you needed to just so you could hear their conversations. You'd revisit a planet and get some dialogue about something you had done hours ago, it was really disjointed. Plus Merrin joined way too late
- NO MORE SLIDES

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

el oso posted:

- NO MORE SLIDES

Adding no more tight spaces to squeeze through to this. I think they're both used to hide loading in the background, necessitated by being developed for slow rear end hard disk drives. The PC system requirements don't mention an SSD sadly so I'm not sure we can kiss those goodbye just yet, even though last gen consoles aren't getting the game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, I'm tired of those narrow spaces being in so many games, but I can give them a pass since we seem to be stuck with them for now on technical reasons. The slides can get right out, though, they never seemed to be anything other than a "well other games have them, so they must be good!" idea. I'd rather just have the level built differently to accommodate loading if necessary than do more of those.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The narrow gaps at least felt vaguely plausible in a way that the game-y and artificial slides didn't.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Big fan of slides but these slides didn't feel fun to use.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The slides on Bracca made from old scrap and crashing trains were fine

The ones on other planets weren't even half as fun

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Slight delay for the sequel

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/1620527593580806145

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Interested in what issues they ran into. They game was due out in a month and a half, so it would have gone gold in a few weeks. They must have run into stuff that they needed more time to fix if a zero day patch couldn't do the trick.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Lots of gently caress ups recently not caught by 0 days (Callisto protocol, dead space) so maybe they’re trying to avoid that. Also EA might be sensitive to Disney further diluting their deal and worried about bad press?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

What's the Dead Space gently caress up? Callisto Protocol was unplayable on my PC at launch, but Dead Space seemed fine.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't believe they forgot the MTX again

Literally unplayable

Where's my Pink Darth Vader, dammit

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Captain Hygiene posted:

What's the Dead Space gently caress up? Callisto Protocol was unplayable on my PC at launch, but Dead Space seemed fine.

Variable rate shading forced on and absolutely murdering texture quality in dark places which is like more than half the game, some stuttering for some people (but not terrible), some still unfixed control related jank

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Interested in what issues they ran into. They game was due out in a month and a half, so it would have gone gold in a few weeks. They must have run into stuff that they needed more time to fix if a zero day patch couldn't do the trick.

Plus this pushes it right out of EA’s fiscal year which historically is a Huge Deal internally. Must’ve been bad.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I just hope my lightsaber still ships early… it’s not like they put a steam code in the box right??

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Pryce posted:

Plus this pushes it right out of EA’s fiscal year which historically is a Huge Deal internally. Must’ve been bad.

Welp that sounds like a 'sell EA if you yot em'

(this is not financial advice)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The delay also moves the game from releasing with a week of the Resident Evil 4 Remake.

I know they aren't the same genre, but RE4R would probably have overshadowed it in the games media if they launched that close together.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Also you need to go gold 6-8 weeks before launch, as a minimum, if you want any hope of physical media being available on store shelves on release day.

If they game wasn't launch ready right now: they had to push. Pretty big decision to bump it into the next FY, but I doubt Respawn's ledger is hurting with Apex money flowing in at a steady rate...

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
"It's terrible how EA does loot boxes, microtransactions, multiplayer only, and crunch time, only to release substandard product."

"We're delaying our single-player-only, no lootbox, no microtransaction game by six weeks to give people time to work on it and release in a polished state."

"Wow, something must be really wrong."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They realized they'd forgotten to add Merrin to the game and are rushing to patch her in.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Skippy McPants posted:

They realized they'd forgotten to add Merrin to the game and are rushing to patch her in.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also you need to go gold 6-8 weeks before launch, as a minimum, if you want any hope of physical media being available on store shelves on release day.

If they game wasn't launch ready right now: they had to push. Pretty big decision to bump it into the next FY, but I doubt Respawn's ledger is hurting with Apex money flowing in at a steady rate...

Different type of game entirely but I think one of the most recent Call of Duty games shipped with 90MB on the disc at release.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

EA giveth, EA taketh away: EA has reportedly cancelled a single-player game codenamed Titanfall Legends
It was apparently going to be some type of bridge between Titanfall and Apex Legends as a single player campaign. Mostly relevant here because I loved Titanfall 2's campaign and I was disappointed when it looked like any followup got pushed aside by Respawn moving into Star Wars. And now I'm disappointed all over again, although I'm not sure what to make of the addendum about it being a single player experience in Apex Legends since I have no real knowledge about that game.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Apex Legend has no real story to speak of - it has soap opera lore that nearly everyone ignores, and short animated films for the backstory of each Legend - but it was mechanically excellent, had a great framing device: players are all bloodsport celebrities called Legends who compete in a gladitorial game tournament that takes place across multiple planets. There was some sort of way for characters to be resurrected after death and re-enter the games but they deliberately kept that exact process obscured and undefined.

So really it was a totally blank slate on what they could have done for that game. It could have been a Militia or IMC Pilot that joined the games, it could have been a Legend that joined the IMC/Militia, or worked as a spy, or dealt with the shady dealings that go on in the backrooms of the Apex Games League. If you ever read the old Battletech novels, there was a Mech Battle planet called Solaris 7 and it was the same basic principle and there's plenty of story content to be mined there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Andor got such rave reviews they're redone the entire game to be about intensely stressful small time operations in loose-knit crews of paranoid activists, peppered with cuts to lots of bureaucratic political backstabbing in the ISB.

Merrin is still in the game, but motion-captured by Andy Serkis now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Instead of forgetting Merrin entirely, they only forgot her for part of the game. She just suddenly disappears for the middle 1/3 or so and no one noticed until recently.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor will feature "both fast travel and rideable creatures"

quote:

As revealed in an upcoming issue of Play Magazine (which is due to release on February 14) Stig Asmussen - the director of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - has said the sequel will feature fast travel as well as mounts to get across the game's world.

"We will feature both fast travel and rideable creatures to help players quickly get from point A to B, and back to A," Asmussen says, "the fast-travel is point to point, and the rideable creatures offer a way to quickly negotiate between points and explore what is in between." That's got to be good news for those wanting to take Cal and BD-1 on a tour around Star Wars Jedi: Survivor's map.

Thank the Maker!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Thank baby Jesus Christ for fast travel! Can't believe they never patched it into Fallen Order.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thank baby Jesus Christ for fast travel! Can't believe they never patched it into Fallen Order.

It would have ruined the flow of the game!…. Somehow

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh good, I'm not surprised they'd add fast travel but I'm glad for the confirmation. And yeah, I wish they'd patched it in to the first one. I don't care about the flow at that level for a game like this, seeing the same area and fighting the same enemies for the fifth time also ruins the flow.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Yeah, patch it into the original game, even if only new game plus or post game.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

TheCenturion posted:

Yeah, patch it into the original game, even if only new game plus or post game.

That was literally their response when people suggested it for those scenarios... they would still have to do too much work to make it now break flow in the regular game for.... reasons.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

I've been replaying Fallen Order and it's a little different than I remember. First off, Jedi Master feels just right difficulty wise. Picking up the game, parrying feels right, dodging feels good, enemies hit like a truck but aren't unfair. Fighting human enemies feels excellent as always but I've had a lot more fun fighting wildlife than I remember. The tells are slightly more abstract than a stormtrooper swinging a baton, but I was even parrying those stupid kashyyk slugs without much issue after a few tries.

on the bad side, the game feels a LOT buggier than it used to. IDK if the patches over the years have introduced junk or I just didn't notice it the first time around but enemies will just go braindead every so often and stand there until they randomly notice the player again. Certain big enemies, bogano frogs especially, will randomly fly 20 feet into the air after hitting the geometry weird. And in the flashback with young Kal on the venator, I still had BD-1 on my shoulder until getting to the training room.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The hardest part on any difficulty is the giant frog in the base at the start.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ulio posted:

The hardest part on any difficulty is the giant frog in the base at the start.

The only reason it's hard is because you have no room to move

Put him in the arena and he melts like butter

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

The only reason it's hard is because you have no room to move

Put him in the arena and he melts like butter

I think they patched in the arena later? I didn't play that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i05L-FaDhko

A new gameplay video of Kal fighting against new enemy units.