Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

did you think koreans didnt play video games???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any ideas for Lyn paralogue on Maddening? Sucks when a lot of your army is fliers. The upper left corner especially seems like pure death.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Endorph posted:

did you think koreans didnt play video games???

we def do not play games at all its a myth

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I didn't know Reviewers don't like this game, it's now the 2nd lowest rated FE officially. I personally don't care about stuff like that but I know a lot of people do sadly enough.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

FrickenMoron posted:

Any ideas for Lyn paralogue on Maddening? Sucks when a lot of your army is fliers. The upper left corner especially seems like pure death.

1. Wait until later if you need to, probably the biggest thing is that the paralogues are significantly overlevelled when they show up relative to your point in the story. At a minimum I would ensure that I had Byleth and Seadall, the dancer available. (I'm sorry if this is a second playthrough and you already know all of this, but it's not stuff I really knew when I was playing blind on maddening)

2. Your aim is to sweep the left flank with top left, top flank with top right, right flank with bottom right. Oddly, you want your fliers in the top left for later. The top left should also have Byleth and Seadall deployed.

3. Bait the left flank to aggro into you and then use Goddess Dance + Seadall to burn everything down as quickly as you can. Lyn is a paper tiger on her own so you won't need them later.

4. Clear the other flanks as required, hopefully you don't need that much help with them.

5. Link the top left and top right groups on the left hand side of the map. Since your fliers are bundled there, when Lyn starts moving she should work north towards them.

6. Dance backwards out of Astra Storm range and once Lyn is over the Northern bridge you're laughing because she's essentially trapped now and will follow you around the outer edge of the map.

7. Your bottom right force now slowly clears down the center of the map until all the leaders are dead. You can ignore the bottom left villages if you want since when Lyn finally does aggro, they won't be in range to really do anything.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I'm pretty sure Fates even got a KR translation? I think the series took a while to get KR translations but the last few games have probably had them.

Beyond the whole possibility of them just playing the game in another language.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

I didn't know Reviewers don't like this game, it's now the 2nd lowest rated FE officially. I personally don't care about stuff like that but I know a lot of people do sadly enough.
for the record three houses is an 89 and this game is an 80. that does not seem like that big a deal.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mysticblade posted:

I'm pretty sure Fates even got a KR translation? I think the series took a while to get KR translations but the last few games have probably had them.

Beyond the whole possibility of them just playing the game in another language.
there's some fan korean tls, i know fe6 has one

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

FrickenMoron posted:

There's a lot of review bombing.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm more interested in the idea that there's a Korean meta.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Since I still can't find any random relays to take over, I wonder If we should just post codes?
7K6456Y if anyone wants to take that over.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

I used Warrior Panette with a longbow and Ike for the upper left and stuck all my fliers on the lower right (you will need at least one decent grounded combat unit to pull a few bow knights there).

I was able to kill all of the tent bosses except the two by Lyn before she started moving, but I don't think that is completely necessary. The important thing is that you don't have anyone in range the first turn she starts moving. Then the second turn position sufficient number of units that you can immediately kill her. Use Warp/Rescue to get people across the rivers if needed.

Waiting a couple of story maps can also help. Getting Byleth from Chapter 14 in particular is very helpful for killing Lyn before any reinforcements act.

WrightOfWay fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 4, 2023

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

FrickenMoron posted:

in hindsight, every review posted about this game was written by the wrongest person to ever live. they are all impressively dedicated to complaining about "the animes"

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Blaziken386 posted:

in hindsight, every review posted about this game was written by the wrongest person to ever live. they are all impressively dedicated to complaining about "the animes"

I mean, reading the negative reviews that doesn't seem to be the case at all?

Most aren't really negative, the reviewers are just lukewarm on the game.

Broadly the comments are that the gameplay is very good but the story is perfunctory at best and that they found the social sim aspects disappointing relative to Three Houses.

I can't really disagree with that assessment and I loving adore anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are definitely some reviews from people who only played 3H and are confused about what the series is, and some weird comments on the character designs or tone, but 'the characters are less of a focus than 3H' isn't really untrue and its a reasonable comparison to make when 3H was so popular.

That said I can get that confusion from people who only played 3H but people who have played a lot of the series and are obsessed with this comparison are really weird. They're just both FE games. FE4 and FE6 are both FE games and shockingly the series manages to contain both of them despite their extremely different priorities.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If this cuts back the expectations of social sim stuff for future titles im happy, I don't want it to take up most of the game like it did with 3H. I agree however that the early game plot in this is especially bad. You meet terrible absolutely characters immediately (Framme & Clanne) and the one note crew that joins after wont impress anyone either.
It gets much, much better but only in the late game. How many of these outlet reviewers actually made it that far? I don't know but this shows how important the first impression is really.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Since I still can't find any random relays to take over, I wonder If we should just post codes?

There's a pretty active Reddit megathread for sharing codes if you want a bunch to work with: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/10oajnt/engage_relay_trials_megathread/

It gets new posts every few minutes and people snap up codes pretty quickly so you have to be quick on the draw to take over someone else's sometimes, but if you post your own there it'll almost certainly get completed.

Incidentally relay trials are a pretty neat idea and I hope this kind of thing gets iterated on again. I like the idea of having to pick up someone else's map partway through with units that aren't your own, only getting to bring in a couple of yours as you join, and then having to pass the baton after a couple turns.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I got to 19 before i decided to finally go down to hard. I think maddening is doable for me, but it's maybe not doable blind. I made a few strategic mistakes which I think are costing me, and I didn't know enough about skills/classes. If I get to plan my team out (plus the little boost from the DLC) I think it should be very doable, but right now I wanna see the plot. So I'm saving the maddening/classic challenge for next year.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

FrickenMoron posted:

Pretty sure random relays are still broken.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

If this cuts back the expectations of social sim stuff for future titles im happy, I don't want it to take up most of the game like it did with 3H. I agree however that the early game plot in this is especially bad. You meet terrible absolutely characters immediately (Framme & Clanne) and the one note crew that joins after wont impress anyone either.
It gets much, much better but only in the late game. How many of these outlet reviewers actually made it that far? I don't know but this shows how important the first impression is really.
alfred and celine have some depth but its only really shown in their supports, and celine is the more interesting of the two and is the one who doesnt get to be in cutscenes

which is a real shame, because she has a personality that'd actually shift the tone of the early cutscenes a bit. maybe its because of that that she gets dropped so quickly from cutscenes, honestly.

and i like framme and clanne, but they're meant to be a little annoying and sycophantic, that's the joke, and it requires a lot of good faith to pick up on that before seeing their supports. and also the tl toned down that aspect of them which just makes them seem normal obsessive and not funny obsessive.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also sometimes it’s funny to jump into a relay trial and find a field full of completely maxed out units to play with, which happened to me once. I grabbed a random one off Reddit and every unit that was already deployed had every stat capped. It was kind of fun to just demolish things for a couple turns

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mainstream reviewers play the game on Normal Casual so the gameplay is functionally irrelevant, and the writing isn't as good as the parts of 3H that they played before burning out (White Clouds + a few chapters post timeskip)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
When do we start getting free flow wrap staffs again? I realize I loving hate save the village maps

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Listen I'm the guy who, push comes to shove, marginally prefers Persona to SMT (don't tell nobody) so I can understand people preferring Three Houses. I don't think they're being in any way disingenuous or lazy to have that opinion, it's a valid opinion that I happen to disagree with.

But at the same time, Engage didn't do itself any favors. Three Houses is popular and held up as a standard for the series by newer players for the same reason Awakening saved the series: you can sell a lot of copies just based on character, and unfortunately character is something Engage makes you wait for. It doesn't put its best foot forward on that front whatsoever. The slow support growths + the repetitive C supports + the relatively "boring" first group of characters (we all know they're not actually boring but their C supports generally are) give a pretty unfortunate first impression, and it takes a relatively long time to start finding the more interesting character writing.

That said I don't really have too many strong opinions when it comes to Fire Emblem story or story structure, I just want them to keep being as fun to play as Engage. Whatever IS decides to carry forward into the next game(s), I just hope they're this fun to play.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i think framme and clanne's Deal is exceedingly obvious from their intro cutscene, where their concern and awe is immediately undercut by them turning to each other and squealing like kids in a candy store

same with vander all but facefaulting when alear says 'no, we should run' when the corrupted show up

the issues imo are a slightly awkward overlap between 'dead mom any% rta speedrun' (which is sort of a necessity and ends up being used reasonably well but is still comically rushed) and alfred's retainers having not even the slightest depth to them until well after much better characters have shown up

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
No early retainers have depth to be fair

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tired Moritz posted:

No early retainers have depth to be fair

Sain would like to have a word.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Harrow posted:

Listen I'm the guy who, push comes to shove, marginally prefers Persona to SMT (don't tell nobody) so I can understand people preferring Three Houses. I don't think they're being in any way disingenuous or lazy to have that opinion, it's a valid opinion that I happen to disagree with.

But at the same time, Engage didn't do itself any favors. Three Houses is popular and held up as a standard for the series by newer players for the same reason Awakening saved the series: you can sell a lot of copies just based on character, and unfortunately character is something Engage makes you wait for. It doesn't put its best foot forward on that front whatsoever. The slow support growths + the repetitive C supports + the relatively "boring" first group of characters (we all know they're not actually boring but their C supports generally are) give a pretty unfortunate first impression, and it takes a relatively long time to start finding the more interesting character writing.

That said I don't really have too many strong opinions when it comes to Fire Emblem story or story structure, I just want them to keep being as fun to play as Engage. Whatever IS decides to carry forward into the next game(s), I just hope they're this fun to play.

The game doesn't put its best foot forward in terms of characters, but the rest of the presentation is so far beyond 3 Houses. Everything looks so good, animations are great, the UI is slick and flashy, it's polished far beyond 3 Houses. Even the "standing around talking" cutscenes are better staged and not just posted against PS2 textures. As someone who nearly didn't buy the game after watching through the "Clanne and Framme wake you up" scene, it immediately grabbed me upon playing it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Am I missing some Sain lore because I thought his character is just "slut" and I'm saying this as a Sain stan

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Harrow posted:

You basically said what I was about to post. As well where even when the characters do have more depth, that depth doesn't really reflect on the world. So much of the character work in 3H reflects back on Fodlan as a setting, but the character depth in Engage just means that this character actually has a good reason for behaving how they do instead of informing the setting.

3H really showed me how much I'd accept and love that, even when the gameplay is on the boring end and balance is an utter mess. The ideal is the characters of 3H with Engage tier gameplay.

Like I want to stress I really did enjoy my time with Engage but it's not a world or characters that will stick with me, and there is a reason I'm obsessed with Edelgard three years later.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like a lot of the engage cast more than a lot of the 3h cast but i agree about the setting. tho fodlan isnt my favorite FE setting or anything.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
3Houses really would be better if activating their crests give them canto and AOE wrap

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

3Houses really would be better if activating their crests give them canto and AOE wrap
jokes aside ive mentioned this before but i do like how emblem rings are plot important and gameplay important in this game, compared to crests which are plot important but pretty unimportant gameplay wise

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
trying Sigurd's paralogue

hmm...doesn't seem too bad
then the bridge drops and like 20 reinforcements pop out....the gently caress...
at least he rode to me though

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 4, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd really love to know more about Engage's setting. I enjoy the idea of it being a world that just sits in this weird nexus between all the other Fire Emblem worlds and has echoes of their geography and at some point in the past created rings that spiritually mimic legendary heroes from those other worlds. It's a cool concept that is fun to speculate about but would be cool to actually have a bit more in-game about.

I'd also like to know more about religion in this setting but I suspect some of that is in supports I haven't seen yet. I'm especially curious about the Fell Dragon religion and why a seemingly otherwise good person like Mauvier would become the Fell Dragon version of Vander, like what does the religion actually offer? What draws people to worship the Fell Dragon that isn't just "I'm evil lol"?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tired Moritz posted:

Things the Fetters of Dromi already do for 1.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

I'd really love to know more about Engage's setting. I enjoy the idea of it being a world that just sits in this weird nexus between all the other Fire Emblem worlds and has echoes of their geography and at some point in the past created rings that spiritually mimic legendary heroes from those other worlds. It's a cool concept that is fun to speculate about but would be cool to actually have a bit more in-game about.

I'd also like to know more about religion in this setting but I suspect some of that is in supports I haven't seen yet. I'm especially curious about the Fell Dragon religion and why a seemingly otherwise good person like Mauvier would become the Fell Dragon version of Vander, like what does the religion actually offer? What draws people to worship the Fell Dragon that isn't just "I'm evil lol"?

Aesthetics bro. spikes and horns are bad rear end.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

Aesthetics bro. spikes and horns are bad rear end.

Hmm, that is hard to argue with

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

jokes aside ive mentioned this before but i do like how emblem rings are plot important and gameplay important in this game, compared to crests which are plot important but pretty unimportant gameplay wise

Eh, gameplay wise the crest of Seiros gives Raging Storm which is more powerful than any emblem effect by miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

I would like to play a version of 3H where crests were Holy Blood and no one without it was useful. It could have been fun to see how it affected route balance, liked VW is basically the Dawn Brigade vs AM's Greil Mercs. On the other hand I like how you're able to turn crestless units into badasses. Many sides.

Alternatively if Relics were per map durability I would've used them a ton more and their combat arts are awesome, they just triggered elixir syndrome in me bad.