Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

don't need to remediate it in this case. just throw some new coats of flipper grey paint, some new flooring, some farm2table contemporary conformism aesthetic doodads, stainless appliances, spray some air freshener, and take the highest waive inspection/contingency all-cash offer.

but yeah teardown is probably better but the victorian aesthetic adds hundreds of thousands to sf house prices. people pay out the wazoo for it there

It's a Painted* Lady

(* - painted with cat piss and vomit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Nah these kids live in the place, she’s a stay at home mom and has had like 3 kids in 4 years. I think this is their first home. I don’t think they’re flipping anything. it will take a long time for them to get out what they put in.

they don’t strike me as the types to have inherited wealth either but who knows. they drive very regular utilitarian vehicles and I’ve never even seen the dude in a collared shirt, nor dirty and sweaty from a hard days work so I’ve got no idea what he does for a living.

maybe it’s like Brewster millions but the great uncle is like “You only get my millions if you manage to be upside down north of a million on a house that isn’t even worth half that.”

Husband is probably a developer who had just enough stonks saved up to buy the biggest piece of poo poo house in SF and is using the remaining stocks for fixer uppery. That’s basically the only way even extremely well paid computer touchers can own property in the city these days. He doesn’t wear a collared shirt because most tech offices don’t care about dress codes, if he even works from the office ever.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Husband is probably a developer who had just enough stonks saved up to buy the biggest piece of poo poo house in SF and is using the remaining stocks for fixer uppery. That’s basically the only way even extremely well paid computer touchers can own property in the city these days. He doesn’t wear a collared shirt because most tech offices don’t care about dress codes, if he even works from the office ever.

That dude doesn't live in SF.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That dude doesn't live in SF.

He might live in Santa Fe what makes you that confident?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

HashtagGirlboss posted:

He might live in Santa Fe what makes you that confident?

I have been to his house in the mid-south.

Lol he's a 1000 miles from santa fe. I'm maybe 120 though. E: 140 miles.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 23:09 on Feb 3, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

give me 2 bed 2 bath or give me death

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The house across the street from me had hoarders- young couple bought it for like ~150k more than what I payed for my house the street that is 2x the sqft and bedrooms.

they then proceeded to gut it to the studs and remodel it. Easily another 150-200k.

They’re way north of Half a million in the hole for the only one story house in a sea of two stories, that is honestly not worth more than 250-275k in a reasonable world, and only like 325-350k in this bizarre world. I don’t know how you get credit to do this kind of dumb shittery but it’s been impressive.

don’t buy a hoarders house you’ll get hosed in the end. Unless I guess you live somewhere like San Francisco.

I mean, the land value can exceed the property's worth, and that's likely the case with that house (in SF). Tear down, build a fourplex, sell each unit for $2-3 million (if not more).

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I have been to his house in the mid-south.

Lol he's a 1000 miles from santa fe. I'm maybe 120 though. E: 140 miles.

Crusty speaks truth.

Yeah I live in the South, nowhere near California. I’ve lived their in the past, but it was a loving loooooong time ago. San Francisco was affordable for a military family when I lived near there as a child.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah. It's a nice house in a good area, though. But that city isn't allowing multifamily construction in that neighborhood. The lot might go for $75-125k if the house on it didn't exist, but it's a >50 year old neighborhood, so there are no vacant lots to compare.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

so they do that thing where they put two or three lovely townhomes on a single family lot

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ornery and Hornery posted:

so they do that thing where they put two or three lovely townhomes on a single family lot

Don’t know if they’d be allowed to do that there or not. My city straight up only allows that in specific zones. It’s kind of a pocket community outside a larger city. San Francisco could just be the Wild West though, I’m not up on their rules.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You're like, the second youngest couple in your neighborhood. Imagine the fit the retirees around you would throw if suddenly there was a duplex/condo situation going on. Lol.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Don’t know if they’d be allowed to do that there or not. My city straight up only allows that in specific zones. It’s kind of a pocket community outside a larger city. San Francisco could just be the Wild West though, I’m not up on their rules.

Building housing in SF is de facto not allowed. That sounds insane, but if you start from that, you’ll be correct about the vast majority of specific questions.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You're like, the second youngest couple in your neighborhood. Imagine the fit the retirees around you would throw if suddenly there was a duplex/condo situation going on. Lol.

You ain’t lying. They’re turning the old country club into luxury apartments (Only 2k a month for 2 bed 2 bath!) and hooooooly poo poo do they have opinions about it, mainly that “those” people (apartment renters, and also anyone not passing the brown paper bag test) are gonna drive down property value, increase burdens on public services while not adding appreciably to the property tax base or some poo poo, and a lot of other boomer talking points.

If you ever want to go through the looking glass, get on the Nextdoor app.. it’s boomer schizophrenic cat nip.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

ive been renting a 1br in a small condominium for a few years (moving out this month :)) the Owners hate the Renters so much. this old guy tried to gang up on a renter for parking in the assigned parking on the other side of the garage from his parking, thereby making it slightly more inconvenient to back out. an email chain was launched and a couple of the owners, including a lawyer, tried to get the renter to pay for daily Lyft rides because it was making it hard for an Owner with visibility and mobility issues to drive.

said old guy also started rumors about me being a gang member (???) after he dug through 8 half full recycling bins and found not completely flattening a box into a flat plane one time -- there was a corner!!

I also got into a dispute with the downstairs Owner for flushing the toilet or showering after 10 pm, and the landlord took her side until I said a medication I take frequently causes "profuse diarrhea," which I sent out in the condo-wide email chain

we also can't use the city's affordable large trash/recycling removal service cause the Owners refuse to give the service number that is required to set up an appointment.

homeowners are severely hosed in the head. I'm looking forward to my corporate slumlord apartment where everyone is equally Owned.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

ive been renting a 1br in a small condominium for a few years (moving out this month :)) the Owners hate the Renters so much. this old guy tried to gang up on a renter for parking in the assigned parking on the other side of the garage from his parking, thereby making it slightly more inconvenient to back out. an email chain was launched and a couple of the owners, including a lawyer, tried to get the renter to pay for daily Lyft rides because it was making it hard for an Owner with visibility and mobility issues to drive.

said old guy also started rumors about me being a gang member (???) after he dug through 8 half full recycling bins and found not completely flattening a box into a flat plane one time -- there was a corner!!

I also got into a dispute with the downstairs Owner for flushing the toilet or showering after 10 pm, and the landlord took her side until I said a medication I take frequently causes "profuse diarrhea," which I sent out in the condo-wide email chain

we also can't use the city's affordable large trash/recycling removal service cause the Owners refuse to give the service number that is required to set up an appointment.

homeowners are severely hosed in the head. I'm looking forward to my corporate slumlord apartment where everyone is equally Owned.

ok but you're a scrub for not flattering a cornered box at the seams for the recycling bin. :colbert:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

oooh I think I finally figured it out

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

eh this is normal retired upper middle class behavior. you could replace condo owners with site renters at a retirement trailer park and the behavior is the same.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

olds :mad:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'd say be evil and sign up all those neighbors for free trial subscriptions to the Wall Street Journal, but they probably already have them.

So go with the New York Times instead.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

mawarannahr posted:

oooh I think I finally figured it out

That poo poo is pushing 20 years ago and nothing has changed. Way to profit off of the misery you gently caress

Apr 7, 2003

Another poster in this forum shared a story about his father tearing out the grape vines on his property when he sold it because "if I can't enjoy them why should anyone else?"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

ok but you're a scrub for not flattering a cornered box at the seams for the recycling bin. :colbert:

cardboard in single stream recycling all ends up at the dump and it doesn’t make any difference if it’s in a trash bag or used as filtration liner.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

Stuff like this is why I’m glad I live in SFH

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I dunno. I've seen people go to war over fences and stuff. I think the real lesson of that story is don't be a dick to renters.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

What’s so unique about Santa Fe Hills?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I am king of my domain

*grovels to HOA, zoning, and code enforcement*

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Another poster in this forum shared a story about his father tearing out the grape vines on his property when he sold it because "if I can't enjoy them why should anyone else?"

jesus, that's evil

there has to be religions with rules against that.

MickeyFinn posted:

Building housing in SF is de facto not allowed. That sounds insane, but if you start from that, you’ll be correct about the vast majority of specific questions.

But there's a building boom. One time I saw a crane!!!! And I saw an apartment building where the lights weren't on in some units; there's a vacancy crisis!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Comrades, share me your lived experiences of buying / living in a co-op

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Greg12 posted:

But there's a building boom. One time I saw a crane!!!! And I saw an apartment building where the lights weren't on in some units; there's a vacancy crisis!

One of the weirdest things about homeowners is that they seem to leave the real world after buying and the longer it has been since they interacted with the housing market the more detached they are. Just absolutely no idea what is going on and they like it that way.

Just to give an example, if they bought a place 10-20 years ago it just doesn't make sense to them that someone doing the job they had back then can't buy a house today. All sorts of nonsense pours out of their mouth like "it was tight but we did it," "you'll get raises and it will get easier," and "you aren't looking in the right places, a house just sold near me." It does not occur to them that their experience was localized in time and it can't be replicated today.

VVVV Yeah, that might be it.

MickeyFinn has issued a correction as of 21:32 on Feb 4, 2023

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

MickeyFinn posted:

One of the weirdest things about homeowners is that they seem to leave the real world after buying and the longer it has been since they interacted with the housing market the more detached they are. Just absolutely no idea what is going on and they like it that way.

a mortgage locks you into the year you get one, both in style, thought, clothing, taste, etc

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

A Bakers Cousin posted:

a mortgage locks you into the year you get one, both in style, thought, clothing, taste, etc

Good, I want to go back to 2010. This poo poo sucks.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

how's that weird? being a homeowner lets you not to have to think about rent or the property market

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

shrike82 posted:

how's that weird? being a homeowner lets you not to have to think about rent or the property market

every homeowner I know obsesses over their property value.

Apr 7, 2003

Mean Baby posted:

I don't care about my property value

people really didn't care about it prior to the early 1980s because housing was freely available and cheap

The eighties ruined everything

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

capitalism

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Typical behavior is to obsess over your property's value going up eternally while simultaneously insisting that home prices are exactly as affordable as whenever you last purchased a home

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Mean Baby posted:

My father in law gets really excited about our house going up in value but cause we just sorta live here with no intention of selling the only thing it really means for us is property taxes. I imagine it's the same for most people who don't view their home as an investment.

e: bought in 2014 so yeah it's spiked a ton, really the only thing about our house value that stands out to us though is "we couldn't afford it if we bought now".

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PoundSand posted:

My father in law gets really excited about our house going up in value but cause we just sorta live here with no intention of selling the only thing it really means for us is property taxes. I imagine it's the same for most people who don't view their home as an investment.

e: bought in 2014 so yeah it's spiked a ton, really the only thing about our house value that stands out to us though is "we couldn't afford it if we bought now".

This is exactly my situation, except I don’t pay property taxes. between 2015 and 2020 our house “doubled in value” (loving lol no it didn’t these numbers are all make believe Monopoly money imo) and other than seeing the home equity estimates on our monthly mortgage statement we don’t really pay close attention to it other than to note it’s gotten stupid expensive.

gently caress this market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

it could be worse.

prices could be both lower and the same house could also be unaffordable now because of the rate changes.